Fitness for People Who Don’t Like Exercise – The Renegade Health Show Episode #179

Friday Nov 7, 2008 | BY |

Is it possible?

Fitness for people who don’t like exercise?

I have to tell you, I wish I had a dollar for every person who told me they didn’t like to exercise. :-)

I’ll tell you what, we’re meant to move. It’s really our birthright.

We’re also meant to enjoy it…

See why…

Your question of the day: What’s your favorite exercise that doesn’t feel like exercise?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and add your comment now!

1. fred says:

Mine would defenitely have to be dodgeball. Every tuesday you can play dodgeball at my rec center for like 2 bucks or something.

2. Heidi says:

I love to go hiking in wild places.

3. Janet says:

Hiking for hours and rebounding to Michael Jackson tunes! Love them.

Go Steelers!

4. Capoeira all the way!!! Never been in better shape in my life. It’s so much fun and I get to learn about another culture and how to play a musical instrument too.

5. Kristin says:

I just wanted to thank you and Anne Marie for the wonderful videos! You’re a calming constant in a C-R-R-R-R-A-A-A-A-Z-Z-Y-Y world!
    You encourage me to be/stay healthy!

6. Kristin says:

Oh.. And daily brisk walks with my 2 dogs.. And no..
    Does not feel like exercise. Feels like what I was meant to do. We all enjoy it so much!

7. I’m ALL about the unconventional forms of exercise (ie. the things that don’t necessarily require a gym membership) – Dancing, Yoga, Jump Roping, Poi Dancing, Rebounding etc. :-)

8. DebB says:

Ooooh, I’m one of “those” that do not like to exercise :( But, I belonged to Curves for 4 years and went religously. It worked for me! I plan on rejoining February 2009

9. ida margrethe says:

hiking and walking for sure! i live a 5 min walk from the beach, and i can walk along the beach for hours on end. just being out and about is all around great.
    i also roll around on my longboard ALOT, and swim in the ocean, everyday activities really..

10. Judy says:

My fav is the rebounder! Great exercise!

11. Air Force GIJoe says:

Hello and good day
    I think a little friendly competition in just about any activity continues to encourage us to participate and the glorious bragging rights along with the agony of defeat serve as reminders that we are all human. I enjoy chasing and leading friends through the obstacle course’s as simple as our back yard to as complex and the 12mile 45 obstacle event on Base.

Thanks for your time and energy
    Enjoy your day

12. Raluca says:

Never thought about these as exercise, but now that I’ve come to think about it… here are my favourites:
    - swimming (only in summer)
    - dancing
    - walking

But I do “planned” workout too, even if it does not come that easy. These are my favourites:
    - tae-bo
    - rope jumping
    - calisthenics and bodyweight home training

13. derek moore says:

Sun Ancon Chi machine is great for lazy and fit people to enhance their fitness levels.
    Also very relaxing

14. Candace says:

My husband and I love biking. I also love yoga and rebounding (I like Bon Jovi tunes for that). My husband also loves kung fu (sp?). It’s all a lot of fun.

15. Laura says:

I definitely don’t get enough cardio exercise, but carrying around my baby all day at home and for long walks has been keeping me in decent shape. I just got my first rebounder, so now the trick for me is finding the opportunity to get to use it…which is challenging when you have 3 children who demand all of your attention.

16. CINDY says:

i like to hike and go to the gym

17. Tory says:

Running, cycling, swimming, power yoga to name a few.
    I love exercising. I have the opposite problem which is sometimes working out too much. I am addicted to the endomorphins. My challenge is to find balance. The rest days are the days we restore and rebuild our bodies and these are as equally important to incorporate into your lifestyle. Sometimes we get into such an easy schedule with our exercise programs that it’s hard to take a break.
    Note: for those of you who do work out, try and mix it up a bit – 1 day intervals, 1 day longer durations,1 day temp and the other days just pure fun.
    Enjoy your endomorphins!
    Tory

18. Miguel says:

Ahhhhh.I enjoy the rebounder , my one hour daily watering of my plants . , working the soil for my veggies , a lot of walk and some yoga .. So it´s quite eclectic , but works for me !!!

19. marlene says:

Hiking is my favorite thing to do. I don’t consider it as exercise either. I like to keep active so continuous movement is good for me and if I have a day where I sit all day at the computer, or watching T.V., I find I snack more and I feel more tired. It’s really hard to be as motivated in the winter here in Colorado where it has already gotten so cold! I already feel sluggish.

20. Ally says:

Right now… Tai Chi is my favorite exercise…good for mind, body and spirit :)
    Ally

ps.. also has helped loosen up my lower back and my knees!

21. Meri says:

I like rebounding and walking. Haven’t been doing much of either lately though. Naughty me.
    “We must respect the slugs” hahahahaaaa! You crack me up.

22. sherry says:

My most favourite exercise is lifting weights as i am a personal trainer/holistic nutritionist/raw food specialist , next is walking my dogs and then yoga and rebounding , i am extreme!!! Love every moment of it and am very grateful to be able to do all of these things for myself! Have a super glorius day….
    Sherry

23. Viveca says:

Riding my bike, roller blading or water exercise in the pool.

24. giselle cioraru says:

I rebound every morning before I go to work to some dvd’s or I do the gym ball

25. Cindy says:

I love taking walks and doing yoga. Though I enjoy these activities, it’s still hard to make time for them after work and school, cooking and cleaning, paying bills, etc!

26. David says:

Definitely ChiRunning or ChiWalking/Hiking on a autumn-laced trail … but what is ChiRunning/ChiWalking? Well, Kevin did a episosde on ChiRunning and ChiWalking utilizes the same T’ai Chi principles for energy efficiency and injury-prevention.

The concept is to move from your center (the same way animals do in nature … and a key principle of T’ai Chi) and less from your extremities. What this means is that you can run/walk … ‘without using your legs’. Check it out at http://www.eChiFitness.com or http://www.ChiRunning.com.

OK, a shameless plug but I found ChiRunning three years ago and have been running/walking effortlessly and injury-free ever since. I get all the healthy benefits and none of the negative strain/impact on my body.

Enjoy,
    David.

27. Jenn says:

Being outdoors doing anything I think tops the list. The best workout I have had in the last 2-3 years was this past summer when I volunteered on a farm. Even the 1-2 days a week made a huge difference, but it doesn’t feel like a workout so much as being productive. Hiking is also good :)

28. nicole says:

love running! Couldn’t live without my 20-30 miles/week running through our green-friendly downtown chattanooga… the best way to recharge and forget my troubles. :)

29. sarah says:

my husband and i love walking and hiking in nature,
    and dong qigong – they’re all beautiful and fun.

30. Pat says:

Dancing…4 hours of ballroom, even the simplist step, if fun…and makes me sweat!

31. Linda says:

I just started this but it has to my favourite “exercise” to do…I go to water aerobics at 6am with a friend. We have such a good time listening to music, laughing, getting our heartrates up that it really doesn’t feel like exercise. Yah, a bit of chore getting up that early, in the dark, usually rainy weather up here in Canada but well worth the effort. I also enjoy getting up a sweat on the treadmill and pushups are also one of my favourite exercises as well…really great results from those.

32. Suzanne says:

Dancing!!!

It’s amazing how many swing dancers are active, healthy, and mentally sharp even in their 70′s and 80′s. I have danced with an 80-year-old who dances several hours each night, moving with strength, flexibility, and a fluidity of movement usually absent in older people. I last February and March was privileged to attend a three-day dance workshop in which one of the instructors was the famous Frankie Manning–well known among dancers around the world–still teaching, still witty and charming, at 93 years young. Get off your backsides, everyone, and dance!

33. Marc says:

You know my favorite “non-exercise” is physically walking to talk to someone instead of emailing them when I am at work. It may not sound like much, but the extra movement each day can really add up.

34. John of John and Amy says:

Boomerangs. Great fun by yourself… even more with friends. I went from 320lbs. to 220lbs. with diet and exercise and boomerangs were my exercise. All you need is a big field, a couple of pointers and of course a boomerang (i make them if anyone is interested).

JJ

35. Christina says:

Commuter cycling is definitely my favorite non-exercise exercise. It’s all about getting to work whilst saving some money and getting some fresh air too. It’s nice to avoid crowded buses and traffic jams when possible.

36. Charlotte Cormier says:

I have a passion for swimming, I also enjoy Tai chi and Chi kong which both exercise every muscle in the body, rebounding too is a very enjoyable exercise for me!

37. Hiking/walking my dog is non-exercise for me, but now that the weather is slowing me down (high winds and icy conditions) I use my yoga mat, rebounder, stability ball and rowing machine, they all help to keep me sane. Staying motivated to keep it up is the challenge, hearing what you all do helps!

38. Daniela says:

I love horseback riding! I love animals, so riding and walking my dog, and SCUBA diving are my favorites.

Also I love: swimming, V-ups, rope skipping, tennis, hiking!

I will try Chi-running since I just learned about it from your comments. Thanks guys!

39. Kit says:

FitTv’s Total Body Fitness with Gilad. Something new everyday. Works muscles I didn’t even know I had. Pumps the heart…but them I’m old.

40. Pete says:

Hi

I have always been curious about the ‘need’ to exercise. I agree with you saying we should do something we enjoy, as I feel if someone says to me they ‘need’ to exercise then they are sick (physiologically). You say that if we were in nature (aka in the bush with no idea of modern science etc), we would be moving a lot, however I do not believe we would be exercising at any high intensity for about 30 min/day. We are an organism designed to conserve energy, and when we need it it is there to use. We are not designed to burn up energy every day at high intensity. Show me any other animal in our world that does 30 min of high intensity exercise, apart from catching food. Exercise in the western lifestyle became part of our lifestyle because we started eating so much junk, and it seemed an easy way to ‘balance’ the imbalance of a poor diet, however this will not sustain healthy lifestyles. Personally I believe we can eat well and live a stress-free (relative) lifestyle and not need to exercise regularly, and we can live a long life. I do not see the cultures living 140 yrs working out every day, they just eat an organic raw diet and drink clean water and do not have industrial polution. Exercise in my mind is abnormal in a formal setting. I see too many young kids coming into my Physio practice with problems from overuse due to this ‘need’ to exercise and formal exercise is done too early in life. On another front, white cell count, after rising during exercise, takes 48 hrs to recover to normal levels after dropping below normal numbers, so exercising everyday will eventually lead to a jeopardised immune system. So if you are going to exercise do it a max of twice a week and always allow 48 hrs for recovery.

Eat well, live well, live long, stay happy.

Cheers

Pete

41. Bryce Arnett says:

I live in Utah and there are a plethora of places to hike. I can’t run very well, but I can hike with the best of them. Also, a beautiful one hour session of power yoga does the trick. You will be amazed at how sore you are the next day after yoga. One Love!!!

42. Deborah says:

Hi Kevin & Annmarie,

Every day I walk or ride my bicycle(when the weather is nice). gave up my car 2 years ago, so walking is a constant. also, at home, I have been doing The 5 Tibetans. amazing! and I enjoy Hot Yoga too.

didn’t know you are a Steeler fan. I live outside of Pittsburgh. Yeah team!

Thanks for sharing all that you do.
    I really enjoy your show!

43. Jill says:

I love to go walking in the woods with my fiance. Where I used to go to college there was a great state park that we used to go to on nice days.