A Halloween Raw Food Snickers Bar Recipe – The Renegade Health Show #172

Wednesday Oct 29, 2008 | BY |

Well, kind of…

I don’t know if you can recreate the taste of a Snickers bar with a raw food recipe… and frankly, I don’t think you’d want to.

Things like that are just WAY too sweet and unnatural for my taste buds these days.

This raw food recipe that Annmarie found is about as close to a stomach bomb as you can imagine.

She says they taste amazing, so take a look if you like sweets!

I’m going to pass 😉

Here’s the show…

Your question of the day: What do you hand out for trick-or-treat-ers?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

Let it snow, let it snow…

Here’s the recipe courtesy of… www.thedailyrawcafe.com

The Legally Raw Bar (we call it Raw Snickers!)

NOUGAT FILLING

1 cup water

MILK CHOCOLATE

1 cup cocoa powder
1 cup maple syrup*
½ cup coconut oil
¼ cup water

Soak dates in the water and lemon juice for an hour. Reserve soaking water. Meanwhile, make nougats.

In a coffee grinder, grind cashews into a fine powder. Remove. Process the almonds into a fine powder. Place nut powders in a large bowl. Add honey and water. Stir until mixture is a thick paste-like consistency. Form nougat into miniature candy pieces. Place nougat pieces on a plate and put in the freezer for an hour.

To make the caramel, process soaked dates, coconut oil and sea salt in a blender.

Using soaking water one tablespoon at time, blend until you achieve a thick creamy mixture. Spread caramel on top of nougat pieces and return the candy to the freezer while you make the chocolate. In a large bowl, whisk cocoa powder, maple syrup, coconut butter and water together until smooth and creamy. Pour chocolate over candy pieces and freeze an additional hour or until chocolate sets hard.

Yield: 15-20 candy pieces

1. Until we have pre-packaged “fun sized” raw/vegan chocolate bars available in retail…I’m sticking to “fun size” play-doh! 🙂 Or, hey! Dominic (sitting next to me) says: honey or agave sticks (you know the kind that look like a pencil and are in a thin plastic tube)?

Loved this episode, you guys are super funny…even if you aren’t brave enough to eat it! lol

2. DebB says:

I admit it! We give our regular Halloween candy – hey, we don’t want to get egged! (wink) *Ü*

3. Mark says:

Gawd, I wish I were there. I would have eaten at least two!

I live in a big old haunted house, so no kids come here. 🙂

4. Andrea says:

We give out Dolphin Chocolates, which are vegan and agave sweetened, but not raw. We collect Halloween candy from the neighborhood and trade in each piece for a dime, and take our collection to the toy store the following day.

5. Carolyn Marie says:

You guys are great. I’m really wondering what to pass out on Friday.

Superfood girl… Agave sticks.. Brilliant

6. dede says:

wow – a cup of agave and a cup of cacao – – I think that would knock me into an alternate universe ;-)….
    …but as always it was fun watching you guys.

The new setup with the cart works well…oh – and the new lighting when you are filming from your desk, Kevin – I like it too – much brighter.

Probably won’t get any little trick-or-treaters in my apt complex which I am kinda sad about- – but I AM planning to go to work Friday AND Monday loaded with lots of vegetables to munch on for survival – because there will be tons-o-candy floating around the office both of those days :-).

hugs, Dede

7. linda says:

well….. i bought multi packages of different kinds of nuts. just could not get candy !!!
    now i am wondering about kids with peanut and
    tree nut allergies…………….well kevin maybe pennies or nickles would be better.

8. Karri says:

It’s funny you guys made these tonight for the show, I just made them this afternoon for the first time. I’ve had the recipe for about a year now. They were totally excellent! Just as good as they looked.
    And yes, they are sweet, just like a candy bar. Worth every calorie though!

9. RawSoldier says:

Sweet treat! I would eat one… or half of one 😉

I proposed apples, oranges, and bananas. I don’t know what will actually happen because I am 3,000 miles away from home. Festivities are alive here too. I ran out of cacao nuts to munch on so I’ll settle for vitamineral green. It’s about the same, right!? ;-?

1,000 pennies = $10

10. debra says:

Kevin,
    Would you remove the links to the live shows from the main blog page? Or is there something I can do on my end? Everytime I come visit I have to scroll down and stop all the videos. Though it’s energizing to hear your “Good Afternoon” as a musical canon, I’m getting tired of waiting for my computer to catch up to my commands while it tries to play the videos simultaneously.
    Thanks,
    debra

11. Marie says:

Just wanted to let you guys know that in the small west Texas town I live in, some folks do give out homemade treats. My eighty-nine year old neighbor makes cup cakes and bags of popcorn. All the kids are eating the cupcakes by the time they get to my house. It’s quite funny… It was a surprise for me that people still gave out home made stuff – Even when I was a kid 30+ years ago, we weren’t allowed to take non-commercial goodies. I gave out candy this year but am thinking up a healthy alternative for next year. Loved the post above about play do and/or honey sticks. Thanks for the great ideas!

12. Mara says:

I think a good idea for trick or treaters would be to get a couple of bags of pinata filler from party city. Just tons of little plastic toys to occupy their time. Little junk toys give kids a lot of joy!
    I think an easy way to cut down on the extreme naughtyness of this recipe would be to replace the cacao with raw carob powder (no theobromine) and leave out all of the agave. The coconut oil and extra soak water would be enough to hold the chocolate sauce and caramel together and the carob would add all the sweetness needed to the sauce.

13. Margot Nader-de Jonge says:

We don’t have Haloween here, but I make some very simple small treats.

Soak a handful of almonds for a few hours and remove the skin.
    Slice open dried apricots and put an almond in or remove the pit from a date and put an almond in.

Slice open a fig and put half a walnut in.

Soak raisins and nuts in orange juice for a few hours. Grind it. If it’s too moist add some grated coconut. Make little balls and roll them in grated coconut.

These are easy to make, raw and very tasty. To hand them out you can put them in a wrapper.

Thanks for this recipe Kevin, I’ll make it tomorrow.

14. janet b says:

I don’t have to deal with handing out candy, because I am out with the kids getting candy!!! So my children have learned that they can get all the candy that they do, and we go home and sort it, count it, divide it(math lessons here) and they are allowed to keep seven pieces… we give the rest away, or in Maine there is a dentist that pays kids by the pound for how much candy they return to him!!

15. Carol B says:

HI GUYS,
    We won’t be seeing any little ones at our place as we live down a long dark lane, and they just don’t come here. But back in the days when we had small ones I’d make homemade treats and put our name and address inside. That way parents could make up their own minds. However that was 30 years ago, and we knew the folks in our neighborhoods too. Who knows what I would give out now if we needed to.
    Annemarie, when I’m done with this cleanse, I’m makin’ those!!

16. Sara says:

I love this site. Thanks for all the good advice. Just FYI, for everyone getting worried about the cold/flu season, I read in an article today about something called SkinWear. Apparently it’s a hand-sanitizer that kills germs for 8 hours straight. They said it used to be a product out of South Africa called “Liquid Glove” that helped protect people against contagious diseases. I think the article said that the candidates use it on the campaign trail to avoid getting sick (I knew it was something!!) So I’m going to give it a shot. It’s pretty cheap anyway. They must be selling a lot of it. Here’s the link: http://www.skinwearusa.com

17. Wow – those “snickers bars” look good! I definitely want to try this recipe soon. I’ve just gone raw a few days ago (tried a few times before and now I’m doing it again), so your website is encouraging!!!

I loved when the cat started “talking” – ha!!! Really cute cat…

18. Louis says:

Do people trick or treat in other countries?! Ireland invented Halloween man! Good show.

19. Denise says:

I wish we were still able to give out homemade treats in our society. Unfortunately a lot of crazy people shot that all to pot. I would make popcorn balls of some sort, wheat free cupcakes with no icing, banana muffins with no nuts for allergic reactions. Ain’t nothin’ like the ‘good ole days’. 😉

I like the play-doh idea and the agave/honey sticks. We go out and let the kids get regular “poison”, as much as they want. They are allowed to keep just a couple of pieces. The rest go on the kitchen table in a big pile and wait for the “Great Pumpkin” to show up and gather it all. He takes it away and eats it all up but leaves each child a treat…such as a gift card or a small toy. We just remembered about Linus’ Great Pumpkin last year, so this is fairly new to our family. Prior to that mom was the bad guy, because she would let them each have one or two pieces and throw the rest away!!!

20. Cindy says:

I’m starting a raw food and green smoothie diet and was wondering what a good everyday detox item(s) I could include. Or are the green smoothies enough for detoxification? Thanks Cindy

21. Raluca says:

You are awesome!!! Seeing the title of the show I was wondering exactly that: what are you giving for Halloween. And reading all these messages I think that even for non-raw, non-vegan,… children, there would be not an offense if they would receive fruits, honey, nuts, or even little toys. And I’m thinking that maybe there are raw kids around there who cannot sort anything out of their gathered sweets. Now you can help them with that.

And I also remember something that kids would love: “sesame seeds & honey” bars!

22. Alicia says:

LOUIS, Haha you beat me to the punch! The celtics, with their end of the harvest festival, sure knew how to throw a party. Thousands of years later & try as some may to stop it, the party continues. ;-)Happy Samhain Day!

I don’t get trick or treaters usually in my apt. complex. Though I’ve seen a few families move in this year so it might be different. Just in case I’ve prepared with pencils with fun halloween erasers, witches fingers and small toys – rubber balls, yo-yos, small squirt guns, plastic rings and necklaces. The same stuff I fill up my niece and nephew’s birthday piñatas with. 😀

Happy Halloween Kev, Ann, Johnny 5 & everyone! Have a spooktacular evening! 😉

23. Sarah says:

I’m giving out little boxes or raisins. I did the same last year. Surprisingly, some of the kids were really excited. Probably not the perfect treat… but much better than some of the alternatives!

24. gloria says:

Why are raisins not the perfect treat? thats what I gave in my neighborhood. Im new to this raw vegan diet, I am learning.

25. Julie Czachow says:

Hi Kevin & Annmarie,
    I hate to give candy because of my teeth issues and I don’t want to encourage unhealthful eating. I give away vampire fangs. the kids really love them.

26. Joelle says:

Just thought I’d let you know that we trick and treat in Canada too!