How to Eliminate Cravings, What We Feed Our Cat and More – The Renegade Health Show LIVE Episode #169

Friday Oct 24 | BY |

Alright…

Last live show for a while, this one was really fun… Annmarie apparently was keeping a secret from me and still won’t tell me what it is.

You can see her blush on this show.

We also talk about how to eliminate cravings, how to gain weight on the raw food diet so you don’t lose muscle, what we learned this week, and more…

Go ahead and take a look…

Your question of the day: What do you do to eliminate cravings?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

Kevin

1. Allison says:

Honestly, eating an all-raw diet took care of all my cravings. I believe that something in processed foods lights up some kind of “switch” in my brain and makes me crave foods and leads me to compulsively overeat. The jury is still out for me as to whether my diet needs to be all raw or needs to be all whole, unprocessed foods, but I’m 100% certain that processed foods are the culprit when it comes to my cravings.

2. Patricia says:

My son uses peppermint on his tongue. I continue to crave if I feel like I am sacrificing and the craving will continue for days. Instead, I make a decision that if it is that important, how much will I indulge. If I feel guilty later, then I have made a mistake and it won’t happen again.

3. Vickie says:

The Master Cleanse did it for me. I no longer have cravings. Can you believe it!!!I did it in March for 13 days, still had a few cravings. Then I did it again in August for 20 days and have had no cravings since. Not even CHOCOLATE! Unbelieveable!

4. Judy says:

I just eat nutrient dense foods like nuts, seeds, coconut oil, kefir, munchy phytonutrient dense foods. Foods that take a while to eat.
    I also have self talks and go inward asking myself why I am craving. Is it stress, nutritional, emotional? Once a week I have something that I want or that would be considered junk food like ice cream or cheesecake. I enjoy it and don’t feel guilty.
    If you are craving a specific food it helps to know why you are craving it. It could be nutritional and or emotional. If it’s sabatoging your health or weight, then go to someone who knows about these things and they can help you develop a plan.

5. Esoteric Engineer says:

please ignore first comment, it contains errors.

I currently have a problem with compulsive / over eating. I think this is due to all the fasting / food abstaining I have been doing recently. I am now very much ‘underweight’ and would like to gain around 20 to 30 pounds. Hopefully then my self-discipline will return and things will calm down.

6. What do I do to eliminate cravings?

I gorge myself on whatever I want for the next 48 hours until satisfied. Works EVERY time.

j/k

Seriously though, I will usually drink some water or make a smoothie and stick with my nutrition plan for that day. I actively figure out a day or time in the future when I will allow myself a treat.

I have to stress that treats must be allowed only in moderation, and setting a date in the future allows me to prepare for a “cheat” type of food by eating well and sticking with my plan.

I have found that requiring myself to wait gives me a structure to follow and when it comes time to finally enjoy whatever it is I’m craving – it’s no big deal. I look back and realize that I’ve waited all that time, and I know that I could wait longer becuase I don’t really need that food. Sometimes, this helps me to appreciate the treat even more, and other times I realize that I didn’t really want it THAT badly. Either way, I think it’s a process of personal development. Practicing patience is hard work, but well worth it.

To your health and success,

John Sifferman NSCA-CPT

7. Esoteric Engineer says:

I cannot agree with you on feeding cats meat. They may be natural physiological carnivores, but plenty of vegan cat owners report their cats have increased health on a properly implemented vegan diet.

Being carnivores, cats need certain preformed nutrients that they are unable to manufacture for themselves (just as we need omega-3, for example). Cats can be given these pre-formed nutrients from a supplement added to their vegan food. This is a much better idea than feeding them offal and slaughterhouse waste that is contaminated with bacteria, parasites, hormones, anti-biotics, and concentrated pesticides, and etcetera. cats do not do very well on commercial pet foods.

Pet food from meat also helps support the insanely brutal practice of modern animal agriculture, factory farming and cruel slaughterhouse killing.

I would urge people not to support the pet industry, period, but to rescue cats from shelters instead.

More information on vegan cats via the following links:

8. Cindi says:

The number one way to eliminate cravings is to avoid being around foods you don’t want to eat. I know that sounds simplistic, but if you analyze when you have a lot of cravings, you may find it is when you are being exposed to cooked foods. For example, cravings were driving me crazy at one point. I realized that it was I was having to go out to eat with a lot due to my work schedule. I talked to my husband about it (who is also raw, thank goodness). We promised each other we would not go to a non-raw restaurant for 3 months. Things have gone so much better for me since we have done this. We have had ZERO cravings.

The other thing that works for me is to imagine how the food feels in my mouth (fatty, greasy foods) or how it REALLY tastes (not how I remember it tasting). That works for traditional baked or cooked sweets. None of them taste even half as good as anything I’ve eaten raw.

Learn to make a couple of great recipes that satisfy your appetite. I’ve heard a raw food coach suggest 7. For me it’s more like 9 because I like a couple of good salad dressings and dips. They are my weakness. These should be recipes that when you eat them any memory of the craving totally disappears.

I promise I’ll shut up after this last one. The best way I have found to overcome cravings is to remember how crappy I feel after I’ve eaten foods that don’t agree with me. I remind myself that is why I started doing this in the first place: I was tired of feeling badly. To eat foods that are not good for me is counter-productive.

9. Thanks Kevin and Annemarie!

Keep up the good work!

sheryl
    canberra
    australia

10. Have you heard about Tahitian Noni?

11. Markji says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie!

You’re right, Karen does have pretty packaging
    BUT… she does not sell ReVita Phi.

Just a heads up to everyone.

have a rawesome day,
    Markji

12. Tammi says:

Love your shows guys!

In reference to your cat, I beg you not to let your cat wander outside. I was in the animal rescue field for many years and can tell you it is absolutely unsafe for your precious feline to be outside unattended. Coming into contact with rabies, being hit by a car, contracting diseases from other possibly feral cats, being attacked by other animals, the list goes on and on. I saw many heartbreaking injuries throughout my career including cruelty by humans like being shot with arrows, paintball guns, and even being set on fire!

Providing fresh air, sunshine, and bird watching can be accomplished in a safe manner by using a cat carrier or other enclosure, or walking on leash. I have a totally mesh carrier (I call it our “kitty tent”) which are available at many retail pet stores.

And I totally agree with you on feeding cats what they were intended to eat…raw meat! They are carnivores and denying them that is cruel.

13. Bridgette says:

Hey you two,
    I am just lovin lovin lovin ALL of your shows and the Rawkathon…..man ol man…..this is soooooooo exciting and awesome. I can’t thank-you enough for helping me on this path. I have been totally raw for 2 weeks now and feel GREAT!!! I was about 70% raw before. It’s still a big learning process but I am loving my journey. One question I have is about menopause. I am 48yrs young and in the beginning stages. I would love for one of your talks or one of your experts to talk about women going through menopause in the best possible way being raw. I have to say since I have been doing more and more raw I does feel like it is just taking care of itself but thought that would be a good topic. I would like to know how other women eat and what we need to nourish our body’s in the best possible way.

About cravings…..the more I stay on raw it has just taken my cravings away….

Much Love to you two!!!!

14. Mark (Mississauga) says:

Hi Kevin,

Could you please post just the names of the books and products that you talk about below each episode?

Thanks

Mark (Mississauga)

15. debra says:

Yes, cats need meat. I tried to keep my cats on a vegan diet and they lost weight, their hair became dull and thin, and they were over all miserable.

For most of my life, I let cats wander in and out as they pleased. But now, my cats are indoor cats. Why? Beyond safety for the cats themselves, cats reek havoc on the local bird population. So consider keeping cats inside as an ecologically sensative decsion.

Cats like to eat grass for many reasons. Keep a tray of wheat grass or some cat nip around and they’ll be happy grazers.

I’m glad the live shows are over for now. Too many times, it felt like I was watching one end of a conversation.

debra

16. crow says:

You can try Only Natural Pet Store,
    http://www.onlynaturalpet.com. I order supplies
    for my dog Kate from there. They use eco friendly packaging and run there plant by eco
    friendly means.

Enough already on the techno difficulties. We know you are having a problem. Just let us know when it is fixed.

17. Raw Monkey says:

Raw Advantage might be what you are looking for and yes I agree cats should eat meat.

I am 80% raw and most times 100% and never experience food cravings. The only time I did was during a candida cleanse and I wanted a banana or a raw revolution bar. The odd thing is that when I came off of the cleanse I had less of want for really sweet fruits.

On the weight gain I have found the only thing that works is high calories and concentrated weights, I use dumbbells. My doshi is naturally thin so 5,000 calories a day by itself does nothing unless I actually work out. I use hemp, maca and sun warrior protein.

18. Raluca says:

You are thanking us for the rawkathon? We cannot thank you enough! It was absolutely awesome! Cannot explain the euphoria I was on in that week! It was the best course anyone can ask for! Amazing! THANK YOU!