Is Olive Oil Really Good for You and What About Avocados – The Renegade Health Show #163

Thursday Oct 16 | BY |

Well…

What do you think?

Is olive oil really good for you? And how about them avocados? Are they good for fat burning too?

We’ve been really busy the last week with all the David Wolfe events here in CT and NY, so I also give you a little peak at my completely trashed desk and what I’m drinking and eating while working REALLY long hours!

Your question of the day: What’s in your favorite salad right now?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

Check out Revitaphi if you haven’t already… click here!

Kevin

1. Mark says:

I’ve found avocados to be clogging if any more than one a day is eaten because of their texture. Viktoras recommends to eat no more than a half an avocado a day. I think that less is better in this respect. I do like them in salads.

2. Gwnn says:

my favourite salad is one I got from YOU: kale w/hand mushed avo & lemon juice. I add dried goji berries, cucumber and sprouted beans. wow, yum. not super filling but very yummy and nutritious. so THANKS!

3. lisa says:

hey kevein, great show. i was wondering about the coconut oil. i accidently baught the refind instead of the unrefind. can i still incorpurate that in to raw foods? also can i use this same oil directly on my skin?

my favorite salad right now is the kale salad from your show. my local farmers market has the best kale.. thanks for that recipe..
    lisa

4. Amy and John says:

We don’t practice 100% Raw or Vegan but we do employ a lot of those type foods. We first found Donna Gates’ Body Egology diet while visiting some friends in Oregon; and that got us into a great resource for nutritional healing. We’ve always been of the mind that you can prevent “it” or treat “it” nutritionally. We quickly fell in love with raw cultured veggies and green smoothies. We got a taste for real “green” salads with our hemp/olive oil and raw apple cider vinegar laden with medicinal herbs and spices, salad dressing.
    Anyway, our day always starts with a smoothie. 1 Carrot, 1 carrots worth of broccoli, I then put enough hemp milk to cover the carrots and brocc (some sprouts would be awesome) then… I pack in the greens, usually kale, spinach, collards, and chard or any combination of those. I top with a banana and a shot of spirulina and the occasional psyllium and then put in just enough “pure” apple juice to get the thing going and blammo… green, thick, pulpy and D-lisch. BUT…. the answer to your question is….

Quinoa Salad. Greens mentioned above, oil and vinegar mentioned above. Some peppers, RCV’s, blue corn chips and Quinoa…. Love it.

J

P.S. We have recently been exercising our sprouting muscles and are looking for guidance and inspiration.

5. Monica says:

It depends on the olive oil, for me, at least.It has to be fresh, organic, and extra virgin. I like other oils, too. I like cold pressed sunflower oil, sesame oil, I wish I could afford the nut oils, but they taste very good and I think are good for you. But they mustn’t be heated up, and must be fresh as well.I like the glasses, very nice. ja.ja. Do more shows relaxed and not so prepared, they are the shows that seem the most interesting or with your wife hosting them, she is great.-

6. Jenn says:

I don’t have a ‘Favorite’ because I try to go on what I am craving that day, which differs. I DO love kale/greens massaged with avocado and then adding in the extras.

For me I try to go for color and find in the end if I do that I generally end up with a good salad. I like sunflower seeds, but find I prefer a small handful of pinenuts in some salads instead. They have a slight bacon taste that hits the spot at times.

7. Raw Sauerkraut, dulse with nutritional yeast and Lecithin along with Avocado 🙂

8. Sharon says:

Olive oil absorbs toxins in the body. Just today I read about a banana farmer who was poisoned with herbicides, fungicides, pesticides, etc. Someone got him olive oil (not an easy task in Latin America!) and he was drinking it daily. Within a short time he went from being at death’s door to being well. Just like the fat in our body, the fat in the olive oil absorbs toxins–at least that’s what the writer said and she witnessed it firsthand.

Regarding avocados, most people are so depleted of healthy fats, they start to crave them and eat lots of avocados in the early stages. I say, go with it! The liver needs healthy fat.

Garlic is always in my salad, no matter else is in it! Today, baby greens, cucumbers, balsamic, red onion, tomatoes, Himalaya salt and pepper. Bit of a lazy food prep day! Tasted good though.

9. Cheryl Holt says:

My Favorite Salad of all time (& fav now) comes from Pure Food and Wine’s raw recipe book (one of my all time favorites)
    RAW FOOD real world….100 recipes to get the glow.
    As written in the book this is more a list of ingredients and options.
    SERVES TWO
    2 large bowls of mixed greens
    2 handfuls sprouts, sunflower is my favorite here for the nutty taste
    ½ bunch cilantro, chopped
    ½ bunch parsley, chopped
    1 handful mint, chopped
    1 handful basil leaves, chopped or torn
    1 to 2 lemons, cut in half crosswise
    2 to 3 limes, cut in half crosswise
    1/3 cup macadamia nut oil
    Coarse sea salt
    1 to 2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and chopped
    1 large handful coarsely chopped dehydrated almonds or other nuts, or any flavored nuts
    1 handful dried currants (or inca berries, or goji berries… my addition)
    1 handful hemp seeds
    1 large handful dulse, picked over to remove any shells and torn into pieses

In a very large bowl or two large serving bowls, add the green, sprouts, and herbs.
    Squeeze the citrus juice over the greens, drizzle with the oil, sprinkle with sea salt to taste, and toss well. Add the avocados, nuts, currants (berries), hemp seeds, and dulse and toss gently to combine.

Like Sarma & Matthew… I love this large salad and I like to sit and take my time just chewing this while I read. Chewing is very important for digestion to maximize the nutrient absorption and it’s great for your muscles too.

If your not worried about how this looks use kitchen scissors to chop the greens, sprouts, and herbs together directly into the bowl. The quantities listed are just approximations. Use different nuts, or sunflower seeds, or no nuts at all. Add sliced radishes, fennel, or tomato. Skip the currants & toss in some finely chopped apple. Add microgreens if you can get them.

Happy Salad Eating : )
    to purchase goji or inca berries check out my website: http://www.eflsuperfoods.com
    Love, Light, and Peace be with you,
    Cheryl Holt
    Cilantro Cacao : )

10. DebB says:

Mmmm! My favorite salad is an easy one – it’s the kale salad from Karen Knowler. She’s even got a YouTube video demonstration on making this. My notes are in (..)

Sweet ‘n’ Succulent Kale and Avocado Salad

This salad is based on a recipe taught to me by top raw food chef and friend Chad Sarno. This is one of Chad’s all time favourite raw recipes and it’s also one of mine too. The beauty of this meal is that it’s delicious, filling and extremely nutritious – one of the best ways to get healthy greens and fats into your body in a way that feels good and looks good too. This is one of the most popular recipes at all of my classes, and the great thing is, all you need to make it is a good sharp knife!

* 8 generous handfuls of green curly kale
    * Sprinkle of Celtic sea salt OR Himalayan crystal salt
    * 1-2 Tablespoons of olive oil
    * 1 ripe avocado
    * 2 large tomatoes OR a handful of cherry or baby plum tomatoes
    OPTIONAL: 2 spring onions
    OPTIONAL: 8 sundried tomatoes in oil
    DRESSING: *Squeeze of fresh lemon juice to taste (*Deb 1 T)
    (raisins and/or sunflower seeds / pine nuts – all are wonderful additions)

1) Chop the kale up into tiny pieces measuring roughly 1-2cm square and put into a bowl. (Deb – use thinnest FP blade)

2) Add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil plus a small sprinkling of your chosen salt to the kale and massage well into the leaves until they are glistening and look succulent. If they need more oil, add accordingly.

3) Chop up 1 avocado into small pieces, add to the kale and massage in well, coating the leaves. It is fine to leave pieces of avocado sitting amongst the leaves as well as coating them.

4) Chop tomatoes into small pieces and add to bowl. Similarly, finely slice the optional spring onions and sundried tomatoes – both of which I personally love.

5) Mix all ingredients well by hand – a very tactile and delicious experience! Make sure that all ingredients are spread evenly through out the bowl.

6) Sprinkle with some fresh lemon juice and serve as is or pile high on to a plate and garnish with tomatoes or olives.
    * RAW CHEF’S TOP TIP: By adding the oil and salt to the leaves the kale releases some of its moisture thereby making it much juicier in both taste and appearance. This treatment of kale makes it much more
    delicious and palatable, making all the difference for many people who ordinarily don’t like kale as is.

Karen Knowler – raw food coach

11. Hello Renegade team,

My favourite salad is fresh salad greens( rocket, spinach, raddicho, parsley and fresh green seaweed) and diced tomato sprinkled with seasme seeds served on a base of hummus and dressed with fresh lemon juice and olive oil!

What’s happened to David Wolfe it just says off air!
    bye sheryl miller

avocado
    dill
    spring onion
    dulse
    olive oil

13. Max says:

Reg.Dulse in salads.Can anyone advise on eating seaweed in the right amounts? heard that most kinds contains a lot of iodine (especially dulse, very high) (Nori is low) and that it can effect your thyriod negatively?
    Ive been eating wakame sheets dry out of the bag, along with nori, kelp, hijiki etc in salads, probably overdosing…thanks.

14. Patricia says:

Hey Kevin,
    I came on board to help you with your Rawkathon overload test on Amazon but your promised link has not shown up yet. What’s up?

15. Connie says:

Good shows! Am learning a lot! Wow, dulse in salads–haven’t had dulse since I was a kid. Gonna have to get me some! Shouldn’t olives be considered FRUIT (not vegetables) since they have seeds? That would make olive oil a fruit oil, which is a strange concept now that I think about it, lol. Okay, maybe it’s a nut???

I will have to try “massaging” avocado into kale. I’m not fond of kale but am getting used to it; breaking little bits into a regular green salad is helping with that.

Speaking of avocados, I think a favourite salad is this one that I got from realage.com:

Avocado and Corn Salsa

3/4 cup corn niblets
    1/2 cup quartered grape tomatoes (I just chop any tomatoes I have into tiny pieces)
    1 medium avocado, diced
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (I use parsley)
    2 teaspoons lime juice
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (I use sea salt)

Toss everything together and serve.

16. Susan says:

My fave salad is Greek salad

17. Mary says:

Hi Kevin! I watched David Wolfe through your website last night. It was great. However, when I went to the site on elements for life, I was still confused about how it works. I have a ton of questions. Are you a member of elements for life? If so, how have you found their products and services? I am interested in their products but not interested in starting a business at this point and wasn’t sure how to participate. I don’t want to enroll until I know more about how this all works. For example, if I sign up do I indicate somewhere that I learn about this through you so that way you get credit for my enrollment. I mean, how does the profit sharing work? I guess these are my most important questions at the moment. Thank you for your time. Mary

18. Stephanie says:

i still cant seem to watch david wolfe?

19. Jessica says:

this is totally off topic, but what do you think about Glucomannan,as a fibre booster?

20. Meri says:

Kevin, this is a brilliantly sneaky way of getting free recipes!! Lol
    At the moment I like simple salads of rocket, romaine lettuce, sprouts, tomatoes, asparagus, avocado and sea salt.
    Your desk…good grief, it’s trashed beyond sense. I think I’d end up sweeping everything off onto the floor just to make some space!

21. Jason says:

Thanks Kevin for all you have done.

I make salads for my lunch daily for work for the last 8 years or so. My latest one is (all organic)dinasour kale, romane, tomatoes, celery, green onions, cucumber, radish, basil, oregano, red, orange or yellow peppers, celtic sea salt, purple cabbage, broccoli, unfiltered organic olive oil and Bragg apple cider vinagar

22. cindy says:

Hey Kevin,

Didn’t receive the link you were going to send today(Friday) to test at 1 pm est. Even stayed home from grocery shopping so I could be here at 1, but never received the link. Didn’t want to miss the surprise you had planned on the other side.
    In my salads I enjoy romaine or red leaf, tomato, avocado, dulse, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, lemon juice, olive, cucumber, radish. Thanks for the David Wolfe shows by the way!

Cindy

23. This week my family’s been enjoying some of the salads from the Boutenko kids book, Fresh – (which is really worth getting if you don’t have it yet) like Romaine Pomegranate Salad (romaine, avocado, cucumber, pomegranate seeds, pine nuts, olive oil, agave, salt) and Asian Salad (baby bok choy, collard greens, olive oil, nama shoyu, ginger, garlic, agave, apple cider)
    And the Blue Green Salad with Spicy Almond Dressing from Matthew Kenney’s Everyday Raw (mixed greens, tomato, dulse, cucumber, avocado, sunflower spts and hemp seeds. The dressing (which made it)is almond butter, tomatoes, nama shoyu, sesame oil, lime juice, maple syrup, miso, ginger, salt)
    They’ve all been great! I love what Sergei says “It’s not whether you can make a tasty salad but whether you can make enough delicious salads to keep you excited day after day.”
    Kevin and Annmarie, I really look forward to your show everyday, thanks for all your hard work!

24. Kat says:

Hmm…ok, what’s the deal with the video?? It says it’s no longer available. 🙁

Well, hopefully your opinion is that olive oil and avocado are healthful; I love them both and eat them often.

Oh wow, my favorite salad right now…that’s a toughie since I love most all salads!! I think in general, one with a little bit of everything, but some of my favorite ingredients are: several kinds of greens, avocado for sure, red peppers, radish sprouts, walnuts, pine nuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, ground flax seed, red onion, cukes, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dehydrated kelp flakes and a little fresh ground pepper – YUM.

I’m getting hungry now just thinking about it! 🙂

25. Nisha says:

Naomi Shannon’s (raw gourmet) her orange tahini dressing!! Delicious!

26. Nisha says:

Sorry I didn’t get to finish my recent post. My favorite salad in the world is a large green romaine salad, lots of sunflower sprouts, diced tomatoes, sea salt, kelp (optional), pumpkin seeds and the raw gourmet’s orange tahini salad dressing all over the top.