How to Get Rid of Acne Update – The Renegade Health Show Episode #153

Thursday Oct 2 | BY |

I have to admit, I’m not really in the business to get acne…

And I was actually getting pretty frustrated that I had pimples all over my forehead for the first time since freshman year in high school. It was gross.

I didn’t want to go out in public… you can even ask Annmarie… 😉

But I kept on trying to figure out how I could get rid of this acne and eventually I found a solution that has worked for me in literally less than 4 days.

Here it is… (be sure to pass this along to anyone who may have more acne than they’d like to!)

Your question of the day: Give us some more questions to answer…

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your health question now!

You can find Jon Barron’s products that I mentioned in the show by clicking here. The two were Colon Cleanser and Super ViraGone. He does have a special deal… if you order 5 products you get them all at $20.00. *As of Oct, 2008!

There are also comparable products that you can find at the health food store or online! 🙂

Kevin

1. fred says:

This is kind of a weird question but about 6 months ago I was pooping usually around 3 times a day. Back then I was in a rush a lot ad did not chew my food nearly as much as I should have. Well I have kept the same diet since then but have been progressively chewing more and have noticed that I am down to only pooping once a day, and the other day I didn’t go at all. I am pretty sure I am getting all the fiber I need from flax, fruits, and veggies. I’m not too worried about it but I was wondering if it could be from me chewing the food better.

2. Karri says:

Hi Kevin,

It’s funny you should mention your thoughts about green smoothies contributing to your problem.
    I was drinking green smoothies for many months in a row, every morning. Then, one day about a month ago, I started to experience stomach cramping, nausea, then vomiting after my smoothie. I wasn’t sure if it was the smoothie that caused it, so I continued to drink the following days. Same thing happened each and every time. I starting cutting out the different superfoods that I was adding, to no avail. I finally ended up with just 1 cup of frozen fruit (mango, straw, or pineapple)maybe a froz. banana, and 2 large handfuls of spinach.
    Same thing, pain and vomiting. Now, when I make the smoothies for my husband and kids, I can’t even take the smell of them.

For a while, I wasn’t doing any good, green breakfasts at all. Now, I’m trying to just do the green juice in the vita-mix, then put through the nutmilk bag. More work::(( but it doesn’t seem to bother me.

Anyway, I guess my question is: have you ever heard of, or experienced nausea and vomiting from green smoothies? Is this common for others? What might have caused this?
    Once I quit them, I didn’t have the symptoms any more.

Sorry so long, thanks for your time and knowledge.
    Karri (Florida)

3. Jenny says:

Kevin, you have a lot of resources at your disposal. Please do whatever research is needed to come up with a definite answer about oxalic acid in spinach, rhubarb, and whatever. I read several years ago that if you eat these things raw–the oxalic acid will not lay down in your body and cause any problems; rather, it will cleanse and nourish you. What is the truth? Since the oxalic acid containing foods have so many vital nutrients, there must be a best way to consume them without having negative side affects.

4. Natasha says:

Hi Kevin,
    Do you know of any remedies to balance hormones– I’ve got Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome and haven’t had my period in over a year and half. Doctors want me to take Provera (progesterone) to induce a period– I don’t want to take synthetic hormones!!! I am 32 years old, I was diagnosed with this condition 5 yeas ago, I’m healthy weight, active, 100% raw. The cause of this condition is thought to possibly be an insulin-restistance condition that imbalances hormones and adrenals. I don’t use any sweeteners, agave nector, honey etc.. and recently I have cut out sweet fruit from my diet to see if this can help. I’ve also been adding maca in my daily diet as well and eating a lot of seeds and coconut products which I’ve been told could help this situation and improve fertility. If you have any other suggestions, I’d really appreciate it!!!
    Natasha
    ps. Congratulations with getting rid of the acne!!! I use to have acne as well (part of the whole hormonal problem!!), and I too found the best remedy is to cut out or restrict sugars. I find whenever I do eat too much sweet fruit I immediately have break outs.

5. Ally says:

I always enjoy your shows Kevin, they are so inspiring and full of information.

I do have a question for you or anyone else who might now about this topic.

I decided to quit smoking 22 months ago before I had to go for a major abdominal surgery. Yeah me… but… I am still hooked on the nicorette gum. I asked a pharmacist about side effects of being on the gum for a long time and they really had no answers for me.

I have a feeling it is messing up my stomach and how I digest foods. I tried quitting a few times but perhaps am not ready to give it up just yet because I am scared I might go back to smoking.

I am tired of paying money to the gum company and need suggestions on how to let it go. Is there anyone out there who has experienced the same thing? and how did they let the gum go?

Did they experience any strange side effects?

Looking forward to any advice you can share.

thanks
    Ally

6. Ally says:

opps.. I hate when I make typos…

That second sentence should have read as…

I do have a question for you or anyone else who might know about this topic.

7. Kristina says:

I have two questions what is the deal with organic young cocnuts versus conventional are the conventional ones really dipped three times in various chemicals? Have there been any lab tests on these?

Also you said you blended your green juice in the blender I have read that the vitamix destroys the nurtients and enzymes more than say a twin gear juicer but then some people say you can juce with the vitamix and strain thru a nut milk bag and if you drink it quick it is all good?

Thanks for all you do!

8. Andrea says:

Hi Kevin,

I understand that you have an adverse reaction to cacao, but I’m wondering if you can discuss the benefits of raw vs. not raw cacao. I’ve found little information about this save for the potential rancidity of the cacao butter in the not raw (even 100% cacao) products.

curiously,
    Andrea

9. Betty says:

Hi Kevin. Love the show! 🙂
    I can definitely understand your frustration. What happened to me this summer, and is currently continuing, has been driving me crazy!

Growing up I’d always get eczema on my hands. I would take steriod creams that I later found out actually thin out your skin, making it worse every year.

Well this summer, during a couple days I started to see the skin on my face get a little dryer and then one day it just errupted into a thick layer of eczema all over my face, especially around my mouth. For a week I didn’t leave the house, and ate as healthy as possible (I’m not a complete raw foodie by the way). It looked like I had a skin disease on my face.

I went to a doctor who gave me an all natural cream that helped it go away. So I thought.

Maybe 3-4 weeks later it came back, just not as severe. It could have probably been as worse as the first time but I’m assuming the cream from my doctor stopped it from going out of control. So that stopped.

And then this week, all of a sudden, it happened again. So I’ve been spending the last 5 days in my house keeping myself busy.

I know it could be hereditary, as well as due to stress and I think that it could be a liver/colon problem.

Next week I made an appointment for colon hydrotherapy and am hoping that will help. I’ve also been eating a lot of veges and some meat and dairy.

Any other suggestions???
    (PS: sorry for the Bible of a story)

Betty from Canada

10. Anna says:

Dear Kevin,
    Great Show! I appreciate your honesty and willingness to share your personal trial and errors. And thank you for providing a voice to those of us who might not be as daring enough to admit to these sorts of issues.

Also, and I apologize if this is not the place to ask this, but unfortunately an emergency came up this afternoon and I had to take my kitty to the vet. As a result I missed your “Become a Leader in Health Call” 🙁 I was looking forward to it all week. Is there any way I can still listen in? Just thought I would ask…Thank you for everything!!!!!!

Anna M.

11. Cheryl says:

Hi Kevin,
    Thanks for sharing on the green juices/smoothies. I just read your summary of Victoria Boutenko’s Green for Life and I’m rather confused now about the benefits of drinking green juices vs smoothies. Boutenko suggests that smoothies (mixed with fruit) are essential for getting enough fibre, but others suggest that green juices are better. It sounds like your experience with smoothies was acne, so I’m wondering whether I should do a mixture of juicing greens and blending fruit and mixing the two for meals? Or is it better to stick with green juices alone? Also, what do you think is a good ratio for greens to fruit consumption in one day? Can they be mixed or should they be consumed separately? And when drinking green juices, are you supposed to “chew” the juice or chug it down quickly? Likewise with smoothies, are you supposed to chew them? I’m also debating between getting a Blendtec and a Norman Walker-style juicer (or both) – but I’m not sure if I need both or if I’m better off drinking green juices rather than blended smoothies.
    I’d love to hear your thoughts and personal experiences with this!
    Thanks so much for your time,
    Cheryl

12. Tami says:

Dear Kevin,
    I am happy to hear about your relief.
    The way you describe your search for hte reason and the solution teaches me (probably others too) to pay attention to all things and not to dismiss anything without giving it some thought.
    I belive that now, that all the sugars are out of your system, you will still be joyous but less hyperactive… :-). Balance and moderation are the key words (so enough with this honey-cake for me?)
    Thank you for all your videos, all the knowledge you share. It is a great way to acquire information painless and with a lot of enthusiasm.
    Tami

13. Irina says:

Hi Kevin,
    Here is the question I cannot make my mind about: is rejuvelac good or bad? Have you ever tasted or prepared it? I’ve read recently that Hippocrates Health Institute stopped recommending wheat rejuvelac, because it breeds a lot of unhealthy bacteria along with the good ones – they now make it from cabbage. What is your opinion on this, and on fermented foods in general?
    Thank you for all the work you do – you are truly an inspiration, and I’ve learned more about nutrition and health in the last year, than I have in the last five or ten!
    Irina

14. Stephanie says:

Whats the deal with hemp seeds? I’ve heard they have to be radiated before entering the usa?
    Also, my husband is in need of a real good and intense candida cleanse, please help there are so many on the market and i need one that acually works.

Finally, I’d like to know more about mushrooms, hardly anyone talks of them and their nutritional value.

15. faye says:

hi kevin
    i have a question – i have just started a new fitness routine with a personal trainer. I am keen to increase my muscle mass and tone up (not bulk up). But my muscles get quickly tired during workouts. My trainer recommends a whey drink but I was wondering what foods/drinks you recommend to eat before and after working out. i dont do well with a lot of fruits. thanks!

16. ambrosia says:

i have also had the same situation with breakouts on my face and like you not happy about it, esp being in the health profession, I have found that cutting out cashews, gojis and cacao was nessacary for me…although they are favorites of mine, and like you, I decided to go on a juice feast…just all juices all day
    with only one with a little fruit in the am
    like apple lemon, or watermelon with the rind
    and lemon or berries and greens powders but nothing sweeter than that and then just greens and vegs the rest of the day or perhaps a warm blended vegie soup in the evening and herbal teas…..this seems to be a great way to mix it up a bit and still have results…thanks for the suggestion for the viro gone looks like great stuff to have on hand in the herbal cabinet!

17. stacy says:

Question: What do you think of Bloodroot (black salve)?

18. Jeanne SDR says:

Hi Kevin and Ann Marie,
    Thanx for your transparency concerning your health and avenues of healing, as well as sharing so freely with us. I do have a question: Can a nerve that has been surgically cut regenerate? I’m told, after nine years, chances are slim. Perhaps I’m grasping at straws, but I’m holding out hope.
    I’d like to address a couple of other bloggers’ comments:
    Betty- I get the same rash from eggs. Elimination is the only cure I’ve found. Ditto for my grand daughter and milk products.
    Ally- Hallelujah Acres addressed smoking addiction recently. Their address is http://www.hacres.com and I think the health tip you want is #558.
    Karri- I have been taking a Super Food blend for five plus years, and suddenly, it makes me throw up- every ten minutes (even when I’m empty). The blend has spirulina, chlorella, alfalfa, barley grass, wheat grass, dulse, beet root, spinach, rose hips, and nutritional yeast. All are organic powders. The ratio is the same. Others have tried it and do just fine. The herb company has had no other complaints or concerns. Maybe my body has just overdosed on something in it… I have mixed all the powders, so I don’t know which one or ones are the offender(s). So I’m taking time off from it.
    Good Health to All,
    Jeanne SDR

19. Claudia says:

Hola Kevin!
    You want more questions; well I got them for you 🙂
    1. Is it safe for my 3 month old breastfeeding baby if I do any kind of cleansing? (colon, liver, kidney, etc, I really wanted to do a whole body cleansing before I got pregnant but didn’t get the change)
    2. Is there a big difference between buying organic and conventional clothing if you are going to use an all natural non-toxic/chemical laundry detergent to wash the clothes?
    3. Is it really true that you should not eat fruits when eating vegetables and animal protein? (I have heard you should eat fruits and nothing else at the same time)
    4. I have a 3 month old baby and a 2-1/2 year old boy, where is a good place to get children supplements to improve their immune systems especially with the change of season and the cold/flu season coming up? (I always hear for adults but not for children) I also give vitamin C chews from Gary Null for my 3 yr old.
    5. What kind of excersises should a breastfeeding mom exclude if any?
    6. What supplements should an exclusively breastfeeding mom take? (I already take fish oil, pre/post natal vitamins/minerals, probiotics).
    7. Which Vitamin C supplement and Vitamin D supplement do you recommend? (Again I take the Suprema C from Gary Null; we like to load up on vitamin C for the upcoming flu/cold season)

Thanks much Kevin & AnnMarie you are a blessing to my family and I because with all you suggestions we live much happier now!

20. kay hutton says:

Kevin, I have a Vita-Mix which I use for all of my juicing. Are there times when it is better to use a juicer that extracts the fiber? What about people with a weak constitution? How slowly would you introduce green drinks and would a juicer be better in this case?

21. Kevin,

I am a nutritionist, and I believe you are correct that you likely have a candida overgrowth as a result of being on antibiotics. You can do a spit test to confirm this. See the following website for test instructions http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/pdf/Spit_Test.pdf. You likely have leaky gut from the candida. See the following website regarding leaky gut and causes http://www.newleafhealth.com/leaky_gut.html. Colostrum will heal your gut lining, and probiotics will reestablish your good flora.

Your cleansing herbs oregano, olive leaf and garlic will help kill the candida. New Chapter has come out with a great product to clear Candida, too. You can use the spit test to determine your progress until your symptoms clear up.

I love your show and learn from you. Keep up the great work!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,

Sharon Scharfenberg

22. Meri says:

I would like to put together a natural first aid kit. Have you got any suggestions what I should include?

Thanks for sharing your experiences with acne. I’d be interested to know if you noticed other effects from the technique you used? Other than the acne going away, I mean.

23. SHERRY says:

Hi, my burning question is, are those ozone air filters bad for you? They say that ozone is in pollution and its bad, is it the same? Thanks Sherry

24. louise says:

hi Kevin. have you ever used those green bags to store your veggies and fruits in and if you have what is your opinion about them

25. debra says:

Dear Breast Feeding MOM,
    Now is not the time to cleanse. Making breast milk requires nutrients. If you don’t get nutrients from your food, your body will begin to break down your bones and muscles to make milk. You’ll be free to cleanse soon. Those little ones grow up sooooo fast.
    Love to you,
    another mom way past the breast feeding days, but with healthy beautiful adult children and self
    debra

26. debra says:

Dear Kevin and health renegade groupies,

I’ve never liked green smoothies because I don’t like green bannanas and the taste of green smoothies reminds me of green bannanas. In fact, I only enjoy bannans when I’m in Hawaii and Mexico. I’d feel nauseaous too, if I made myself drink a green smoothie.

But beyond personal taste, I think there is some wisdom in the aryuvdedic view that fruits and veggies aren’t ideal companions while dancing through our digestive track. Different enzyamatic action is required. The other thing that aryuveda has to offer the modern eater is the concept of dosha.

A myriad of dosha tests are available on line. A quick and by no means extensive summary of dosha philosophy is: No body responds exactly the same to the same foods.

I think there’s wisdom in that notion. Some people thrive on fruit; others, like me, need greens and root veggies in juice or salads.

Find out your dosha type and you will have another valuable tool in your personal health “tool box”. Decsions about diet will be less a guessing game and more grounded in self awareness.

Can’t wait for the rawkathon.
    debra

27. brian says:

Karri,
    You said you that get nausea from the smoothie. I read that the reason why juice may cause nausea is because of the anaerobic bacteria on the nut milk bag. You could sterilize it with food grade hydrogen peroxide. http://www.juicefeasting.com/

Oxidized(turned brown) smoothie/juice may also cause nausea

28. sunnie says:

It’s pronounced Glay-sir 😉

29. marlene smith says:

I’d like to get a question answered about hypothyroid and cruciferous vegetables. I know how good kale. spinach, cabbage, broccoli are good to eat but supposedly they aren’t good for my condition. I feel like I’m missing out by not having them! I just read the summary on Victorias Boutenko’s (sorry about the spelling) book and now I really want to make those green smoothies.

30. Raluca says:

I’ve read all the questions and I realized that I look forward for the answer for Natasha (I also have PCOS) and especially for marlene. This is because I have a Hashimoto auto-immune thyroiditis and I try not to eat too many cruciferous, peaches, strawberries… But I feel so bad about avoiding them. I am also not allowed to have kelp and other seaweed because iodine is forbidden. These restrictions to healthy foods seems awful.

Could you please give some advice?

31. Marilyn says:

Hi Kevin:
    This is a message for the breastfeeding mom and those interested in green smoothies.
    Breastfeeding is a time to nourish your baby, so you should avoid cleansing until the baby is weaned.
    If you want a gentle way to cleanse on a daily basis, drink cholorphyll. I have found it is one of the best ways to do a gentle daily detox.
    It can be mixed into a green smoothie with fruit if people don’t like the taste.
    Cholorphyll is also really good at cleaning the blood and cleansing the liver. Acne can often arise if the liver is getting overloaded or stirred up (sometimes from too many supplements). For women hormonal disruptions can often cause the liver to get overloaded as excess estrogen gets dumped into the liver (which can cause breakouts).
    I find milk thistle in tincture format to be very good and gentle at cleansing the liver. Do it for 10 days, then stop and monitor the results.
    For more info on detoxing and cleansing http://herbalcollective.ca/source/?p=13

32. Claudia (the breastfeeding mom) says:

Debra and Marilyn,
    Thanks so much for all your input, I greatly appreciate it 🙂
    Love and blessings to both of you.

33. melissa says:

what is your opinion on dr douglas graham and his 80/10/10 with regards to fat, insulin, and candida?

34. Emma says:

I’m really grateful to you Kevin for raising this as it’s something that isn’t really properly talked about and yet I know lots of people suffer.

I think there is so much confusion about the acne thing and sugar.

I tried cutting out all sugar when my skin was particularly bad and although my skin cleared up I felt really awful after only a few days of eating fat & veggies and so had to go back to eating fruits again.

Having read 80/10/10 I thought that it’s the combination of fat and sugar that is the problem so at the moment I’m cutting out pretty much all fat and just mono-eating fruit and having veggies and green juices.

I think if I couldn’t have the fruit I’d have to re-think raw altogether as it would’t be sustainable for me otherwise.

My skin is reacting to the high sugar at the moment and having done the candida spit test I know I have some overgrowth but I’m hopeful it will calm down once I’m settled in to this way of eating.

35. del says:

Whenever I get acne on my face it’s usually because I put my hands on there. Maybe I was reading or sitting at the table or computer for an extended time and put my hand on my face. We pick up a lot of unfriendly bacteria and germs and viruses and I think it causes the acne which perhaps is a form of detoxing. I’ve heard David Wolfe answer this question sometime ago and he responded the same way. His parents taught him at a early age not to put his hands on his face but to use the back of his hand to rub or to use a cloth to wipe his face and he never had an acne problem simply from that one simple rule that his parents taught him. Does that mean we should always listen to your parents? Well…. Sometimes they do say some amazing things!

36. Alan says:

If you guys want studies done on it…

Here’s the study on the correlation between acne and milk:

And here’s one that shows how refined carbs contribute to acne.

37. Tony says:

Acne is something that is hard to treat if you do not touch on the “root cause”. The face will go back to having acne if you do not kill the bacteria infection and also get rid of the pores. There are many different ways to do this, and that’s the big problem people suffer from.