Are Rolled Oats Raw and Is Miso Only Made from Soy – The Renegade Health Show #151

Tuesday Sep 30 | BY |

Here are two great questions that I received from the blog over the last few days…

First one is “Are rolled oats raw?”

And second, due the popularity of the spinach miso recipe, “Is miso only made with soy?”

In this episode I address them both AND talk about the event that is RAWking the raw world! 🙂

Your question of the day: Will you be “virtually” attending the Rawkathon?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now! (We want to know!!!)

Go sign up for the Rawkathon now! Click here!

Kevin

1. del says:

You bet. I’ll be Rawkin’ That is soooooo cool. Great that you’re putting this together. Awesome dude.

I actually went to school in Conway, MA. and visited and spoke with the owner of South River Miso. Great Miso. Great guy. The only place, I believe that still makes it by hand. I don’t even think they do that in Japan any more. Very rare if they do. I highly recommend the Dandelion Leek Miso. Hard to get. Very limited supply. But if you see it get some. But don’t take all of them. Leave some for others folks. Don’t worry. You’re generosity will come back to you many time over. See you at the Rawkaton!!! Wow!!!

2. Mariela says:

Question about the miso:
    Where’s the linky for the soy free miso company?

Comment about the oats:
    You can get them raw from GlaserFarms in Miami. I prepare a bowl of rolled oats, dried fruits, cinnamon and few nuts with nut milk and put it in the refrigerator. In the morning the oats will be soft as if they were cooked and oh so yummy breakfast is ready for me

3. Kelly says:

This is so awesome! I read about the Rawkathon in at least 5 blogs this morning and it brought me back to this time last year when I first went raw. I remember being so completely enthusiastic and excited to learn everything I could and that was just when the Raw Summit was happening. So I had a flashback of spring weather, planting veges and listening to raw talks. (I’m in the southern hemisphere) Oh it’s gonna be good. I can’t hardly wait!

4. Brandon says:

Kevn, I will def. be “there” for the RawKathon as well as your shindig on Thursday. Can’t wait for either of those, as all of you are truly godsends!

Brandon*

5. Brandon says:

Shoot, missed the I in Kevin, so here it is….I.

6. Mark says:

Yes I’m going to attend!

7. Jenn says:

I will be attending as much as the Rawkathon as possible, looking forward to some great info and seeing what all your hard work has been able to pull together.

As to the oats, it might not be raw but a good New England type winter breakfast for me is steel cut oats slowcooked in local apple cider and then topped with maple syrup and chunks of apple(all local but the oats). Cinnamon and cranberries optional 🙂

Are there any oats that are considered raw? To make a raw granola perhaps, how would they be labelled in a store to tell the difference.

~Jenn

8. Jan says:

Wouldn’t miss it.

Jan

9. Gulcin says:

I will definately be there!!
    Thanks Kevin for this awesome event which will spread the word on blissful and healthful living.
    Much love.

10. Mariela says:

Oh, and of course I’ll be attending the Rawkathon!

11. Rebecca says:

Hey Kevin, As i live in Australia i can’t make it to the “RawKathon” but can’t wait to watch it on line!! Thanks for your efforts.

Today you were talking about soy, and you mentioned that it effects the Thyroid; was wondering if you could send me more information on that and what else can effect it. Also what else will help Thyroid function.
    Cheers! Rebecca 🙂

12. Yes I will ‘be’ there! And am really looking forward to it!

13. Marji says:

Hi Kevin,
    I enjoy your show and will be at your RawKathon. I have a hard time with this type of eating I don’t know how to plan a meal and what goes together and that sort of thing. I have to do this for me because my husband is a die hard FRIED steak and potatoe and gravy man. I don’t like this sort of thing and don’t even like to cook it.But what is a person suppose to do. He thinks I crazy to eat my way. :~)
    to bad,
    Marji

14. MikeyEdge says:

I can’t wait for the Rawkathon. Its going to be awesome.

15. Jessica says:

I am totally gonna be at the Rawkathon!

16. Cheryl Holt says:

Yes! Yes! and that would be a big YES!

17. testprojectsnow says:

I will def. be “there” for the RawKathon as well as your shindig

18. JOY says:

OH YAY !!! I WAS HOPE, HOPE, HOPING THAT MY GUESS WOULD BE RIGHT AND IT WAS. A VIDEO RAW SUMMIT,AND WITH A RAWKIN NEW NAME. OF COURSE I WILL BE ATTENDING !!! THANK YOU KEVIN FOR MAKING THIS ACCESSIBLE TO ALL PEOPLE. THAT IS HOW WE CHANGE THE WORLD – ONE LOVE AT A TIME.:)

19. Anne says:

Yes, Kevin I’ll be ‘there’ too, and thanks so much for this – as a ‘newby’ I look forward to being much educated!

20. Meri says:

I can’t wait for the Rawkathon, it sounds Awesome!!! Very exciting stuff. I’ll be there with bells on 🙂

21. Bill says:

I will most definately be tuning in and have already started promoting it!

22. Stephanie says:

oh yea!

23. claudia says:

i’ll be watching/listening as well. i’m spreading the word too!

24. FrankieClaire says:

I will be listening to the Rawkathon by pod cast.

25. cindy says:

I will be there Kevin/Annmarie.
    Thank you for all you do!!

-Cindy-

26. Polly says:

Kevin…
    where is the website for the wonderful misos?

27. Linda says:

I’m in! Circled the 19th on my calander, and will be getting others to join as well! Love all you do. Thank you for truly thinking of us!

28. DAPHNE says:

I’M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. Roseanna says:

YES!!!!!! Can’t wait

30. chai says:

ARE YOU KIDDING!?!?!?!
    WOULDN’T MISS IT!!!!!!!!!!
    RAWK-ON!

31. Sandy says:

Yes, I am signed up for the show.
    In regard to the rolled oats. I boil water, covered. Turn off the burner. Add the rolled oats. Cover and let sit 10 minutes. Stir a few times while it sits. Voila! Delicious! It does not have to ‘cook’ with the burner on. The remaining heat does it.
    Sandy T. Enjoy your videos. Thanks!

32. Dede says:

yep – can’t wait – -thanks for everything you two do :-).

33. Alissa Benjamin says:

34. Margit says:

Looking forward to it!
    I watch YOUR show every day. Favorite is “in the kitchen” on Wed.
    Thanks for all you do for us

35. Jos says:

You Bet!

36. Jean says:

Yes I’ll be there if I dont forget. Kevin can you send out a reminder PLEASE!!! I dont want to miss out.
    Jean
    P.S. You are so awsome to do this for us many thanks.

37. Louise says:

Just a short note to clarify a little about soy, fermented soy and the thyroid gland.
    Tempeh, miso and fermented bean cakes are prepared in this manner so that vegans can benefit from the high protein that fermented soy brings to the diet. Unfermented soy contains an enzyme which competes with TSH, but is otherwise destroyed during fermentation. Fermented soy is really the only way to eat soy.

Hope this helps.

Louise

38. Karen says:

ABSOLUTELY!!!

39. Mark says:

If you buy rolled oats in bulk , then is it already rancid and unfit for human consumption?

Thanks

40. nashima says:

Would not want to miss it for the world! Thanks so much for all you and Annmarie do and have done. It is so very much appreciated.
    : )
    Nashima

41. marlene smith says:

Yes, I’ll be there! Looking forward to it. Loved your last one; it was when I was just getting started into raw food. Thanks for all your great shows. They’re well appreciated!

42. Janice says:

Can’t wait. What a wealth of health info you are GIVING to us. Thank you

43. Estrella says:

Can’t wait for Rawkathon to start! I’ll be there.

44. Kenbundance says:

Kevin, it was very kewwwl to finally meet you, Annmarie, and Mike Adams at the Raw Spirit Festival. Thanks for hosting the Rawkathon, I can’t wait!

Google: kenbundance

45. Kenbundance says:

Google: kenbundance

46. Deborah says:

excited to hear some of the guests that I have never heard before.

47. Cherie says:

I have signed up. I am really looking forward to it. I am still new to this raw food eating and need all the help I can get. I am hoping to glean a lot that can help me feel better and have energy. Then my husband will be interested too. Thanks.

48. Ed says:

Hi Kevin,

From what you said about oats being higher in fat content than other grains, does that imply that the rolled form of other grains (or at least some) are not steamed? My local Co-Op sells organic rolled quinoa, barley, spelt, rye, kamut. Which of these might be raw in that form? No, I’m not going to be fanatical about it, but it would be nice to know.

Thanks,