What is the Menstruum Ratio and Why You Should Know – The Renegade Health Show Episode #146

Tuesday Sep 23 | BY |

Today, I take you into the kitchen to explain what the menstruum ratio is…

Don’t worry… no cooking or prep from this guy… Annmarie handles all of that!

I also answer a few other questions on the common cold, are wheatgrass powders potent, what vegetables you can eat raw AND I talk about an issue that is publicly being battled by McNeil Nutritionals (creator of Splenda) and the Sugar Association.

Fun stuff!

Your question of the day is: Did you know what menstruum ratio was and what is your favorite herb?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

Kevin

1. Andrew Norris says:

How abouts a jingle when you play a news item? Would be fun. Maybe you could put a few up (on a link) and we could vote?

2. Erika says:

My favorite herb is cilantro, I eat it plain by the handfuls. You asked about an herb tincture and my favorite would have to be oil of oregano.

I have a question for you. I saw recently on a saw that you did where you talked about salt intake. I have been craving salt since I started eating raw. I pour it into my hand and just eat it plain. I like crunching it between my teeth. The salt that I have been eating is celtic sea salt with mineral blend. It’s by http://www.celticseasalt.com. Anyway, I’m wondering why I have been having this craving. How much is too much? This salt is labeled as light grey, what is the difference?

Thanks

3. Janet says:

Yes, I knew what the menstruum ratio was!

My favorite herb is uno de gato (cat’s claw). It helps nix infections. I got some when I was down in the Amazon. Great stuff. Quite strong when you get it fresh in the markets down there in dried sticks and very cheap.

Kevin – my question to you is – do you know a place that teaches you how to make your OWN tinctures? OK…I’m waiting 😉

4. Cheryl Holt says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie!

I did not know what a menstruum ratio was and do not fully understand the difference in what a tincture and an extract is. I have used Echinacea and Goldenseal extract. Is an extract the same as a tincture?

My favorite herb is cilantro. It is spicy the more you chop it and it mixes well with avocado to make fantastic guacamole.

Love, Light, and Peace,
    Cheryl Cilantro Cacao : )

5. Mark says:

Cayenne.

I didn’t know what menstruum ratio was.

6. Cherie says:

Hi Kevin. I never heard of that ratio before and will now go and check what I have on hand. My fav tincture is call RC made by Young Living oils. Actually that is an oil. Does that count as a tincture?

7. Wendi Dee says:

I never heard of the menstruum ratio, even though I’ve been buying tinctures for years! Thanks, Kevin!

I am crazy about Frankincense tinctures/oils ever since it was repeatedly added to my water at RSF by Jeff Rose of Natural Zing. It’s supposed to be good for all kinds of things–I liked it because I love the earthy smell of it. I felt great, too, but that could have been because of the great energy of the RSF!

Thanks for educating us, Kevin!

Lots of love to you and Annmarie!

Wendi
    XOXOXO

8. del says:

No I didn’t know about the menstruum ratio. Thanks for that clearing that up.

Favorite herb tincture: echinacea for short periods. For a week or so. Goldenseal another favorite of mine although make sure it sustainably harvested please. Love to use that in a netti-pot with sea salt and warm water especially during allergies season.

9. Monika says:

Hello

I noticed you were having a smoothie the other night on your show and wanted to ask you what kind of things you put in yours and what are some good ingredients that make a good healthy smoothie 🙂

10. Sue Rushford says:

I thought it might be a feminine issue, but you learn something new every day with Kevin & Annmarie!

Favorite tincture – I’ve only used a few (pau d’arco, thuja, and lemon balm – oh, wonder how old that colloidal silver is….), but I have no idea whether they had any effect cause I really didn’t have anything wrong with me that I was aware of.

11. derek moore says:

Kevin
    Your advice re wheatgrass powder I thought should have been explained in more detail.
    Without looking up again at he ratios of benefits of fresh wheatgrass against wheatgrass powders, I think you lose something like 50% – 75% nutritional values by taking the powder as opposed to the Freshly juiced wheatgrass. That is why I prefer to grow my own and consume imediately before deteriation. Should be swallowed certainly within a couple of minutes.

12. Teresa says:

Now that you have explained the menstruum ratio it does vaguely sound familiar. I know when it comes to oil of oregano they talk about the carvacol levels…is that similar or the sames as the menstruum ratio or something compelety different??

Fave tincture is oil of oregano and Valerian/lemonbalm and hops combo for those sleepless nights.

13. Lauren Wilczynski says:

I wouldn’t use thuja either…it’s slightly neurotoxic. Look at any of the EU studies done on safety of herbs and essential oils for verification on that.

14. Meri says:

Never heard of the menstruum ratio. Thanks for the new info!

Favourite herb is a tincture – Ivy Thyme complex from Bioforce. Best thing ever for a cough. Echinacea and garlic are also good to have around.

15. Carol B says:

Kevin and Annemarie,
    Totally off the subject, but have you seen the commercial on TV about high fructose corn syrup?
    Could you and Annemarie do an infomercial about it TRUTHFULLY? I’d love to hear your take on the stuff.
    Thanks

16. Karen Jackson says:

Very interesting. Never heard of it before. Thanks for enlightening us yet again!

17. cindy says:

Hey Kevin/Annmarie,

Could you please do a show for us showing us all your supplements you guys have/and take? After giving us a glimpse of them in today’s show, I would love to see all of them.

Thanks for all you do,
    Cindy

18. sonja says:

i have never seen menstruum mentioned anywhere before. I do not really have a favourite tincture, usually use tablets/capsules of herbs. I really like ginger, I slice it and put it into my black tea.

19. marlene says:

I also am going totally off the subject, but if you could answer this for me on your next question and answer show: Am I wasting money on giving supplements to my husband when he continues to risk his health by drinking Mountain Dews, smoking, and taking pain killers? I’m thinking I’m helping him but it sure does get frusterating to see him continue on this regimen.

20. andreanne says:

I like Myrrh Gum. It is very good for skin problems, warts, athlete foot, etc. I don’t like the smell but it is very potent.

Kevin and Annmarie keep up the good work! I love your show! I learn so much!

21. Tuesday says:

Do you use Gaia Herbs at all? They’re pretty much the only tinctures I’ll buy. The company grows everything it can organically and uses the whole herb rather than pulling out specific chemicals. They also test everything on a molecular level for purity and potency. Never worked for them or anything, just really like their products. I’ll settle for Herb Pharm if Gaia isn’t available but they rock! I was really happy you made the comment about real echinacea making your tongue go numb. Also, the good stuff in echinacea isn’t water-soluble, so people please stop buying echinacea tea. Its a waste of money.

And my favorite herb? I kind of just use whatever whenever its needed but I really liked the maca tincture I had last. I’d just put a dropperful on my tongue or in my water bottle and sip on it. Have always loved the taste.

22. Roseanna says:

I’m a few days late in answering and thanks for the clarification on the M thing – definitely good to know the details. I used to use tinctures but find that injesting, topically applying and diffusing PURe, MEDICINAL QUALITY essential oils, especially in capsule form works best for me. I get mine from Young Living and my site is: http://healthynow.younglivingworld.com. I take oregano, frankincense and various blends in addition to putting them in my smoothies and water. AWESOME SHOWS!! THANK YOU!!! Roseanna

23. Jeanne SDR says:

I like cayenne and goldenseal tinctures.

Janet- Dr Christopher out of Utah teaches how to make tinctures, poultices, etc.

Thanx Kevin :0)

24. ida margrethe says:

No, never heard of it at all, so im glad u enlightened me/us!

my fav herb is sage, or mint. i find this great mint at home, it grows along a creek in the forest.. delicious!

25. Connie Crew says:

Thanks, Kevin, I never heard of Menstruum ratio, good to know! My favorite tincture is Lomavida by Herbal Classics. It’s a blend with all the stuff you need when your immune system needs a boost. Seems to help when I need it, anyway.
    Love the show, I ALWAYS learn something new, thanks to you and Annmarie for all you do!
    Peace,
    Connie

26. Teree says:

Hey Kevin…Great Show!
    My favorite herb is Liquid Cayenne, but I make
    this dynomite ticture that is so easy to put
    together and its incredible to use all winter long or anytime you have that feeling that’s
    something’s brewing like a sore throat or flu
    so here goes…In your blender (I use a vitamix)I add equal anounts of raw garlic, raw onion, raw horseradish root and raw Habenero peppers (seeds too!)…Ooops…Did I mention…WEAR A MASK! I then pour raw apple cider vinegar over the ingredients and blend it up, let it sit a few minutes then strain. It packs a whollup when it comes to boosting your immune system! I Dare you to give it a try…then let me know what you think. Teree