Does Oxalic Acid in Greens Cause Kidney Stones – The Renegade Health Show Episode #128

Thursday Aug 28 | BY |

I’ve seen this tossed around a lot in the raw food and vegan world…

In this episode, I answer this question as well as the best way to get all your nutrients so your body can absorb them!

Go ahead and take a watch…

Your question of the day: What is your favorite raw food, vegan or vegetarian cookbook or prep book?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment here!

Here are the links for the recipe books we mentioned…

Raw Gourmet
Raw Food, Real World
The Complete Book of Raw Food
Vegan Planet

Kevin

1. lisa says:

Hi Kevin,

The information in Mark Hyman’s ebook is wonderful, as is his UltraMetabolism cookbook. I have also enjoyed his UltraWellness meal plan, and although not raw and not vegan is definitely more plant based and would be a good way to transition to a more plant based diet as I and my husband have.

Applying what I learned from you, Mark Hyman, Mike Adams, Joe Mercola, and working with my holistic medical practitioner Dr. Woliner in Boca; I have dropped 2 clothing sizes, gone from 3 prescription meds to only natural thyroid hormone, rarely have migraines anymore (another rx almost gone), greatly increased my strength and can now run intervals on the treadmill at 8 mph when sometimes before I was preety sluggish walking at 3mph. Dr. Woliner did blood testing to identify my vitamin deficiencies and prescribed a plan for me that has really increased my energy and makes me happy 🙂

2. Bea says:

Ani’s Raw Food Kitchen (has way more than just recipes)

3. Wendi Dee says:

My favorite raw food prep book is Matt Amsden’s RAWvolution. It’s fantastic for those who are used to gourmet food eating and the recipes aren’t complex like some of the other gourmet raw food books available (but, I love those, too!).

So: RAWvolution, by Matt Amsden

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
    XOXOXO

4. Guylaine says:

One of my favorite “rawcookbook” is: Raw Food Made Easy for 1 or 2 people by Jennifer Cornbleet. The recipes are easy to prepare with just a few ingredients and they are simply delicious. perfect for raw food beginners or for busy people.
    Thanks for the show

5. Charles Gregoire says:

Some of the Vegetarian cook books I seem to keep using (from time to time….i.e. mostly do my own thing but use these cook books as references to get ideas):
    – Raw Gourmet (Noami Shannon)
    – American Vegetarian Cookbook (Marilyn Diamond)
    – Kitchen Garden (Sproutman)
    – The Ayurvedic Cookbook (Amandea Morningstar)

6. GISELLE says:

YESTERDAY ANNMARIE WAS HAVING A HARD TIME TO OPEN THE VITAMIX. I GAVE YOU A GREAT TIP, TAKE A SPOON & RELEASE THE PREASURE FROM WHERE THE SPOUT IS JUST LIKE OPENING A TIGHT JAR & releasing air. try it & let me know on the next renagade health show
    Giselle

7. RAWvolution, by Matt Amsden

His, “No-Bean” Hummus is now a staple in our weekly menu!

8. Thanks Kevin for all the great info.. Keep it coming…
    Blessings, Marina 🙂
    Hi to Annmarie 🙂

9. Janet says:

One of the best cook books I have in my possession is The Victory Garden Cookbook by Marian Morash. It is not a raw foods book (has some raw recipes). I like it because it explains the history of certain veggies like Salsify, and Celeriac and gives you recipes for these more unusual veggies. The recipes are garden fresh picked recipes – no packaged anything, and no junk.

Here in the relative north of the country, when it comes time for Fall/Winter, it feels good to have a little steamed food versus the more raw food times of Summer/Spring. How many people have ever slightly steamed cucumbers or beautiful radishes for a dish? That’s what you find in this book – unique dishes. I am not vegan nor vegetarian (but also I am not a big meat eater – just always have loved my veggies having tended to 3 gardens in my youth on a farm and canning veggies and fruits for Winter survival during the oil embargo of the early 1980s). This book has a great deal of vegetarian/vegan recipes and it has some meat ones too. Just wanted to make sure I represented the book properly since there are a mix of foodies here on Kevin’s fine site.

10. Sunnie Fernandes says:

durian
    80/10/10

11. Mary says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie,

Just wanted to say how much I enjoy your show!

My favorite uncook books right now are,

1. Raw Food Real World by Matthew Kenney
    and Sarma Meingaillis. (A bit more prep time on many of the recipes than I would like, but the food is delicious!)

2. Spoutman’s Kitchen Garden cookbook by Steve
    Meyerowitz. It is amazing how easy sprouting is and all the ways they can be prepared.

3. Raw Foods for busy People by Jordan Maerin
    Lots of relatively simple but tasty recipes.

12. John says:

Hi Kevin & Annmarie,
    I have a problem with my weight – not losing it but gaining it. It was never a problem before my raw diet as I ate whatever I wanted and stayed slim. Now I need to eat right to keep my weight up, what are the best foods?

13. Meri says:

I just bought Raw, by Juliano. Looks pretty good but haven’t done much from it yet. I tend to just muddle along, make stuff up and pick up recipes here and there (e.g. on Renegade Health Show). It’s good to hear what other people recommend though, so I have a starting point when I want to buy more recipe books.

14. Linda Long says:

Kevin and Annmarie,
    Thanx for your shows. I love the intro music!! I giggle every time I hear it.
    My favorite Raw Recipe Book: Raw Foods for Busy People by Jordan Maerin.

15. DebB says:

Hi Kevin ~ First time posting, we just love your show!

We’re pretty new to the raw food ‘diet’, but so far we have 4 cookbooks.

ani’s raw food kitchen ~ ani phyo
    Living Cuisine – Renee Underkoffler
    RAWvolution – Matt Amsden

-and my favorite-

Living on Live Food ~ Alissa Cohen

Then I have a few on my wish list… *Ü*

16. Margot Nader says:

Sorry to come up with a question instead of answering your question, but this is a big issue for me.
    I’m 54 years old and diagnosed with “on my way to osteoporoses”. My mom had this very badly and broke about 8 times something: a wrist, a hip, a kneecap, you name it and she shrunck about 8 inches during her last 35 years. To think I may be following her foodsteps in this freaks me out.
    So, I do 3x a week very intense weight training, 3 times a week interval running, I try to be low fat 100% raw, eat a green smoothie a day, etc. I take vegan supplements calcium plus the kind of vitamins which help the absorbtion of calcium (Allthough I don’t like to take supplements, but I’m too scared not to…,and have that tested once a year), etc. Now I hear that oxalic acid prevents the absorbtion of calcium and obviously lots of raw food has it. That doesn’t make me very happy. If it’s all around, rotation won’t help. Please can you give me your idea of how to handle this.
    Thanks a lot Kevin

17. Karen Jackson says:

I have a few raw books but haven’t really gotten fired up to use them yet. You guys have been a real inspiration by doing your food demos. Thank you SO MUCH for your shows. By the way, do your shows stay in a que somewhere so we can go back and look at them at any time?

xoxoxo

18. linda says:

RAWvolution, by Matt Amsden

yes yes yes……………….by far easy and not complicated…i have at least 10 raw cook books and this is my favorite………….

19. Lorie says:

I started with Alissa Cohen’s “Living on Live Foods” … however, the one I turn to the most is Matt Amsden’s “RAWvolution”. I’ve turned a lot of people on to this taco “meat” 🙂

20. micki says:

Hi there!
    I love my different raw preparation books for different reasons:
    1. For the incredible photography, I like RAW by Juliano Brotman, but the recipes are a bit involved.
    2. The two books I use almost daily are:
    Living on Live Foods by Alissa Cohen, and
    Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine by Dr. Gabriel Cousens and the people at the Tree of Life in Arizona.
    3. Green for Life by Victoria Botenko is a good one as well.
    4. Then there’s the “Classic”, Survival into the 21st Century by Viktoras Kulvinskas, no one should be without this one!

21. My favorite raw books and I have quite a few are…The Complete Idiot’s Guide To Eating Raw & Raw Food Made Easy For 1 or 2 People. The recipes are AMAZING in both books!

My favorite vegan cookbooks are the Flying Apron’s Gluten Free and Vegan Baking Book & The Indian Vegan Kitchen