Will Hemp Seed Show Up on a Drug Test and More Questions Answered – The Renegade Health Show Episode #111

Tuesday Aug 5, 2008 | BY |

There are a bunch of questions on the blog and I’m going to rifle though ‘em…

So I apologize for not getting to all of them right away, I really do my best to get to all of them in the shows, so please forgive me if I haven’t answered yours yet (and post again!)

Today’s show I’ll address if eating hemp seed will show up on a drug test, if swollen feet are caused by the same thing as leg cramps, how you can introduce good nutrition to the people you love, our daily eating routine and more.

I also want to know from those of you who are overseas, where you get all your supplements and superfoods, so please chime in!

Check it out…

Your question of the day: What success or massive failure have you had introducing health foods to your friends or family?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now! (Please if you’re from Europe, Asia, South America, etc. give us your supplement and superfood finding tips!)

Here’s where you can sign up for Dr. J. E. Williams’ call tomorrow night:

Kevin

PS. If you want to listen to and download Dr. Williams’ call and all the calls in the future, please consider joining the Renegade Health Inner Circle! Click here to learn how it can help you now!

1. Brandon & Ellen says:

Kevin,

Just wanted to pass along a source of seaweed that I have used in the past, called Modifilan. You can find it by going to http://www.Modifilan.com or else by typing it in at any search engine. Its very useful for those who have thyroid issues or many others.

As far as passing along my health knowledge to family and friends, I have helped sway my wife-to-be’s mindset about eating right, etc. Also, I have done the same with her Mother, Grandmother and brother. It’s a truly great feeling when you are able to get through to people you care most about. As far as my family is concerned, its still a work in progress as they are bull-headed for lack of a better term. My one brother is the lone exception to that, as he is like me.

Anyways, an excellent show today! We’ve def. taken lots of what you have mentioned in your shows and put it into play in our life in some sort of fashion.

In Freedom,

Brandon and Ellen*

2. Roni says:

Thanks for the advice on helping get the health message across. I too have had all the studies and “answers” to give back to all the questions asked, and it did not work. I am just now letting go and letting people ask me why I feel so good and energetic. We are not all raw, but about 75%, and then watch our cooked and protein intake for dinner. Waiting for your smoothie book, as I could use some more ideas on combinations.
    Thanks for all your ideas and comments.

3. sharon ferguson says:

I take care of new mom’s (postpartum)and have had success showing them how easy it is to make fresh almond and sesame milk. Some have continued making it after I left. The one I am with now is loving green smoothies also, (fresh oj, banana, and spinach).
    My husband is blown away by the China Study, he started reading it today, and we are talking a lot about him eliminating animal foods. This is really the first time I’ve seen him psyched about one of my dietary focuses. It’s great being on the same page with him!

4. ambrosia says:

i have a great friend whos girl friend has just been arrested in Greece for shipping in Nutiva hemp seed powder…the government analized them and found a high enough amount of THC in it to now be fining her-just as a FYI…read full story below…

Greek Health Crusader Is Arrested For Ordering Hemp Protein

On Wednesday morning July 16th, Anna Korakaki went to her local post office in Athens, Greece to pick up her latest health product order from Navitas Naturals, a health food company based in the USA. Anna had previously received shipments from Navitas which included raw cacao from Ecuador, maca from Peru, goji berries from Tibet, and other high-quality nutritious foods. Moments after accepting her package Anna was immediately intercepted by 4 police officers, thrown on the hood of a police car and brutally handcuffed. Police then ransacked her apartment and after finding nothing suspicious or illegal, took Anna to a police station for further interrogation. Anna was then forced to spend the night in an Athens jail cell. The reason for Anna Korakaki’s arrest was that she had received 4.5 kilos of hemp protein (a ‘super-food’ made from powdered hemp seeds), which she had ordered for the express purpose of making healthy smoothies. The order had a value of 57 Euros (US$89), and represented but one of hundreds of hemp products available worldwide in health food stores, super-markets and via the Internet.
    Hemp comes from the plant of the botanical name Cannabis Sativa. The difference between marijuana and hemp is the appearance and the respective amounts of ?9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Strains of Cannabis Sativa that are approved for industrial hemp use (such as rope and clothing) and hemp foods contain only minute amounts of this psychoactive compound, whereas marijuana and hashish (‘narcotics’) contain high amounts of THC. Hemp seeds are considered by leading researchers and medical doctors to be one of the most nutritious food sources on the planet. Hemp seed contain 33 percent pure digestible protein, and are rich in iron and vitamin E, as well as omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
    Hemp products are commonly found in health-food stores and supermarkets in the USA, Canada and Europe including Greece. Hemp is sold as a whole seed, a powder, as nut butter, as oil and salad dressings, and is sprouted for inclusion in healthy breads. Hemp is also used to make organic breakfast cereals, and is increasingly popular as a non-dairy milk (similar to rice, soy and almond milks), and as a non-dairy ice cream. Hemp is the highest source of essential fatty acids in the plant kingdom. Of the three million plus edible plants that grow on Earth, no other single plant source can compare with the nutritional value of hemp seeds. Both the complete protein and the essential oils contained in hemp seeds are in ideal ratios for human nutrition. Hemp protein contains all 21 known amino acids, including the 8 essential amino acids that adult bodies are unable to produce. It is rich in vitamin E, iron, and contains 33% protein. This means that per serving, hemp contains more protein than meat, fish, chicken and cheese.
    Unfortunately, paranoia from the so-called ‘War on Drugs’ has sometimes implicated non-psychoactive industrial hemp varieties of cannabis with psychoactive marijuana varieties. The Greek court system, for instance, finds it difficult to define the difference between hemp food and marijuana. Tests of the Navitas Hemp Protein Powder by chemists at Greek Customs claim to have located trace particles of THC. According to Greek law this renders the hemp protein Anna received as an equivalent to marijuana. This has lead to Anna being charged with four criminal counts of drug possession. As a result, Anna could face prison if the court system cannot be convinced that the hemp food that she received is a valid, and universally legal, form of nutrition. According to Oprah Winfrey-consultant and best selling author Dr. Andrew Weil: “There is absolutely no health concern about trace amounts of THC in hemp foods.”
    It is well established that the seeds harvested from industrial hemp Cannabis Sativa, such as are grown in Canada and throughout the EU can contain low levels of THC. These levels are typically in the parts per million (ppm). In the USA, hemp foods are legal to sell and there is currently no legal limit on the THC content. In Canada and Europe regulations limit the concentration of THC in hemp seed oil and other food products to less than 10 parts per million.

The hemp protein that Anna Korakaki ordered is made from 100% ground hemp seed, grown and processed in Canada by Hemp Oil Canada Inc. and distributed by Navitas Naturals in the USA. In a statement from Hemp Oil Canada Inc. its president Shawn Crew writes, “From the seed harvested, we are regulated to produce products which must contain less than 10 ppm (as the Canadian legal limit). According to the official Health Canada testing protocol for THC, the limit of detection is 4 ppm. So any analysis result falling under 4 ppm is reported as none detected. We are pleased to report that not a single analysis of our products has ever produced a result over 4 ppm and therefore it is stated and reported as none detected.” Because of this fact and that the nutritional information listed for the product declared no THC levels, Anna felt certain that hemp protein was legal in Greece.
    The day of Anna Korakaki’s arrest, her friends went to a local health food store in Athens to purchase a loaf of sprouted hemp bread (meaning that whole hemp seeds had been imported to Greece, then sprouted and ground for baking). The bread was brought before the judge to demonstrate that hemp foods are available in Greece, which seemed to shock the judge, but made no difference to his thinking towards Anna’s parole. Anna is now required to go to her local police station once per month, identify her self and register by signature, until such time as her decisive day in court which, given the typical speed with which Greek justice is served, could be as much as two years away.
    It stands to reason that even if someone were to eat an entire 4.5 kilos bag of hemp protein, they would not experience any effects, or an altered state of consciousness, from the THC, perhaps just a bloated stomach. Anna’s story is so amazing in its absurdity that all the media in Greece are following it.
    Anna Korakaki is the cofounder of Super Foods Greece, a company that provides educational seminars and super-foods in Greece. She introduced raw food nutrition and super-foods to the nation of Greece. Anna travels the world educating people on nutrition and advising them on nutritional cleansing and natural healing, specializing in deep detoxification and cellular rejuvenation. She is a certified massage therapist and certified yoga instructor.

PLEASE post this story in your home country–in any and all media, and please send us the links or clippings. SEND YOUR RESPONSES TO hempingreece@gmail.com

5. Liz says:

Hey Kevin!
    First off…thanks for answering my question about what you guys eat during a typical day!
    Second…as I have been on my path to eating better (from being an omnivore -> vegetarian
    -> vegan -> high raw, vegan), my husband has been a keen observer. And while it would be awesome to have him totally on board with me, I am respecting where he’s at by not bombarding him with pressure. He’s noticed on his own how much better he feels when eats lighter, raw foods…and now, he’s even talking about trying to get rid of the animal products in his diet.
    So… I totally agree with you…don’t preach to others…live by example, and let people be curious as to what you’re doing!
    Rock on!
    xoxo Liz

6. Valérie says:

Hi Kevin,

Great show.
    23 years ago, I’ve succeeded in convincing my mother to become a vegetarian (she was already into diets, healthy living etc) but failed about her becoming a vegan like me.
    The other members of my family consider me as a weirdo …

7. Al says:

I have let my family know the nutritional path that I have chosen to take, and answer questions if there are any. I have never been preachy about it, and have found that the less info that I offered, the more questions I was asked. Since my family is quite a distance from me I have sent them a few books to give them more insight to what I am doing. A great starter book is Jonny Bowden’s The 150 Healthiest Foods On Earth. Thank you for the opportunity to share.

8. Steve says:

Kevin –

Thanks for answering my question about hemp and drug testing. I’ll try some next time I go to the market.
    I re-visited your previous show about protein and heard you say that hemp seed would go bad quickly if not stored in a cool place & dark container.

I have 2 questions for you today.

Q #1 – How do I know when buying foods (grains like rice)if they are fresh?

Since I can’t go to the market every day, and organic foods are so expensive, I’d like to be able keep more on hand for a longer time and prepare meals ahead of time. (Say, like a week in advance.)
    I use the EVER FRESH “green’ bags that seem to help some foods like carrots and celery last longer, but find it does not work for celantro.

Q #2 – Could you also give some information about how to tell when grains (and other foods) are “ripe” or spoiled.

I bought some organic wild rice from Whole Foods Market and was told to store it in my freezer to kill any possible bugs that may live in it.

I also tried to sprout some raw organic sunflower seeds and some raw organic pumpkin seeds (pepitas). Both have been soaking in water for almost a week now, and eventhough I rinse and change out the water each day, nothing seems to be happening, except a small amount of grey film appears in the water. It is starting to stink up my kitchen.

Would this mean that these seeds were bad when I purchased them?

Thanks for your great videos. They are both informative and keep my attention.

We should dub you a master in “edu-tainment”.

– Steve

9. Sue Rushford says:

Hey Kevin and Ann Marie, my idols! You guys are da bomb! Anyway, my failure was that my sister-in-law now forbids me to send or forward those “vegetarian” emails even tho most of them have little to do with vegetarianism because “we eat meat, and we will always eat meat.” However, my victories are many. I make it a point to talk to someone each day about anything from the atrocities of factory farming to incorporating green smoothies into their regimine to how pharmaceuticals inhibit your ability to assimmilate nutrients (read Suzy Cohen, the 24-hour Pharmacist).

My most recent example: I recently took a vitamin-mineral-amino acid test and came out severely depleted of copper, low on several other minderals, low on several of the amino acids, and deficient in B1, B2 (I have cheliosis), B3, B6, and vitamin C. I’m a mostly raw, 100% vegan endurance athlete (marathon runner, martial arts fighter, and dancer), and I’ve been on the Pill for 23 years. Granted I’m still working on improving my diet since raw means little unless your diet is well-rounded/diverse, but there is no way all those greens, nuts, seeds, and fruits are not providing my essential nutrients unless my body is not uptaking them. I strongly suspect long-term use of the Pill is the culprit moreso than the distance running or a poor diet. So I just gave it up cold turkey, and I began supplementing immediately. I told my receptionist at work about my story, and she came back from her doctor’s appointment so incredibly thankful because when they gave her a choice of IUD’s, copper without hormones (copper is apparently toxic to sperm) or a plastic one that releases progesterone, she immediately chose copper and was extremely grateful I informed her about the dangers of taking hormones, at least long-term. And now I’ve discovered a new non-hormonal option, though I’d have to investigate further, so this one was a win-win!

10. Lauren Wilczynski says:

I rarely buy online, as I buy most of my “specialty” items from two stores in Manchester: Eighth Day in the city centre and Unicorn in Chorlton. Don’t know if that helps anyone. But here are some places online I’ve bookmarked over time:

http://www.bodykind.com/categoryindex/CatIDx220/categoryindex.htm for superfoods and vitamins and herbs, etc., but not raw

http://www.keimling.co.uk/.cms/UK/raw_food/2 has a lot of hard-to-find raw foods

I’ve never bought anything from http://www.funkyraw.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&zenid=33b926b3bd06d76f82f81071bf5cc501 because of the prices, but they seem to have a lot of the gourmet specialty stuff…a bit out of my price range

To answer the second question: I’ve influenced 3 people to become vegetarian or vegan. I did this by not saying a word unless I was asked a question. Well actually I’d a say a few words here and there–if it came up in conversation, I’d make the most of it–and conversations would happen just about anytime I was eating something different than everyone else. But my point is I didn’t preach. To one friend interested in the idea just to lose weight, I did direct her to some resources about animal suffering, and she stayed on longer than the month she was planning to and is to this day. So I’ve shown the little videos and whatnot to people, but only after they’ve expressed interest.

11. Meri says:

My family have come around more to healthy eating since my dad had cancer, then chronic sinus issues which the doctors couldn’t cure. My brother started asking me questions about veganism, then he went vegetarian and is now practically vegan. My dad is a lot more health conscious and does read to keep informed. My mum was always health conscious but with all this going on around her she has benefitted from the new ideas my dad and brother have brought into the house.

What I find ironic is that I have been studying nutrition (informally) since the age of 12. Nobody would ever listen to me until I took a course and gained a qualification in nutrition at the beginning of this year. Aside from memorising a few facts and figures I pretty much knew the entire course content before taking the course, but now my opinion has suddenly become very valuable and highly regarded amongst the family, simply because I have a certificate on my wall!! It’s good because now my advice is solicited and taken seriously, but also kinda frustrating that it took nearly 14 years before anyone would really consider my opinion.

12. Steve says:

A great resource in Europe for juicers, blenders, sprouters, milk makers, etc. is http://www.energiseyourlife.com.

Thanks for some great shows Kevin. I watch every day and always learn something new.

13. claire says:

Dear lord–please let me learn to love the taste of vegetables as much as the good health I gain from them- amen.

highly recommended– living fuel powder supplement. UK

Living fuel/europe (type into google, site will come up) they offer a whole lot of quality stuff(I do not work for them I am customer only) the superberry is meant to taste better than the plain green powder variety they sell just with a lot more anti oxidants from berries– the quality is amazing and after a week its taste is quite nice also add a stuff macca, coconut oil and orange/apple etc.

A full selection of Jon Barron products in UK would be amazing..without having to ship for parcel to end up in customs. (Mr Barron please make this happen!!)

Does anyone know where I can get “vitamineral greens” in uk (from authorised stockist)

14. Kevin,

Great point about how to bring or answer peoples questions. I have found in my own life that people really just want the reader’s digest version of what your doing. If they can see a change in your life and are searching, they are more willing to take the time to learn more. I lost a large amount of weight in a relatively short amount of time eating raw. So when asked I would generally keep my answer very short and approachable for them. If people don’t think they can do it, they will write you off and won’t even try or listen to what you have to say…because THEY won’t be able to do it! I later created a simple blog site that would go into more details if they wanted to know more about “how I had lost the weight”.

The internet and Blogs like yours are such an incredible resources! Today, I have already gone to Main Coast’s website to check out their Dulse on your recommendation.

Your blog is informational, challenging and entertaining! Keep up the Good Work!

Kevin Cornett
    Houston, TX

15. jeanette says:

Hi Kevin & Ann Marie,

Thanks so much for all the free advice and knowledge. I appreciate your passion and sincerity. I have been able to reach my best friend, her husband, my sister and brother-in-law by letting my light shine (so to speak). I’m on the Hallalejah Acres lifestyle which is similar to the way you eat but with the addition of barley green and carrot juice for breakfast, and then one-half hour before eating lunch and supper I do the barley green and carrot juice again. The biggest step for my loved ones (probably most important step) was to eliminate animal and dairy products. All have had amazing results with weight loss and in particular getting off of some medications.
    What do you know about Barley Green and in your opinion how does it compare to Vitamineral Green. Based on your opinion I may change to Vitamineral Green.
    Thank you for educating us.

16. Denise says:

Hi Kevin, during my cancer battle I changed to natural detoxes and supplements instead of the major chemo they wanted me to do. I have been cancer free for over a year now. I was able to make a difference in about 90% of my friends and family with the knowledge of how bad Microwaves are and the importance of herbs and natural cures to the point I have helped those that asked me to help them when modern medicine failed them. I have not had as much luck with the eating and food. They listen, but most do not want to change how they eat or how they buy their health and beauty, laundry, and cleaning products.

17. Darren says:

Hey Kevin, Gotta say that you’re a real inspiration and doing such an amazing job; like your poster says, ‘You Rock!!!’ Cheers matie!

My wife and I are currently living in Japan just now, so if anyone is new here, and they don’t know where to get any whole/raw/OG foods, here are two amazing sites:
    Tengu Foods:

Warabe Mura:

Also have a question, if that’s alright. My wife and I have done a gradual transition to a 80-90% raw, vegan diet. We love it, but my wife has started losing a larger, noticeable amount of hair and is a bit concerned. I’ve read that it is common and transitory if zinc and iron levels are returned to normal, but was wondering if you have any other information that might be of better use and application via whole foods. She loves fruits, and tends to have more of them than greens if given the choice.

And how do we help people? We belong to online communities and help with H&F, and although no experts, we feel that leading by example is the best. For people around us, if we’re eating together at lunch at work, we don’t share out food, which is not to be mean, but because they get soo intense about it that the next time they see us, they have a variation of or are eating the same thing. It’s funny, but when we were on the SAD diet, no one wanted to touch our food; each ate his or her own. But as soon as whole and raw foods are about, everyone is diving into your dish when you back is turned!

We don’t think about failing with people; just think that there are always opportunities for others and that sometimes they’re allowed to walk right in, and at other times, well… there are just more opportunities to look forward to.

Anyway, Kevin, thanks again for all the time and effort you’ve put in to all this. You really are changing the world! Cheers, Darren

18. ida margrethe says:

Great show, as always Kevin!
    First, im pretty sure http://www.sunfood.com (David Wolfe’s SunfoodNutrition) ships world wide, cause they shipped to me when i lived in Norway and also to Australia (current).
    I think I have ordered some stuff from http://www.rawpower.com from overseas aswell.
    And a great organic, sustainable, fairtrade website that ships heaps of stuff, at LEAST around Oceania, is http://www.livingearth.com.au
    My advise is just to google the matter, thats what i do..

Secondly, i somehow managed to turn my brother and my x’s sister(very good friend of mine now!) into vegans a couple yrs back. And I never really did anything but be my happy, energetic self, and just answered questions and gave them pointers!
    Have a great day.

19. sarah says:

thankyou for answering my questions.
    it was fun.
    i am enjoying eating the dulse!
    thanks for what you eat every day !
    YOUR PODCAST IS THE BEST.

20. Lauren Wilczynski says:

Douglas, I know the two are different. Thus I listed them as separate entities. However, I still believe that both are dangerous. Even spirituality infers a belief in something supernatural, and as such a belief is assumed and not scientifically or logically backed, such beliefs, to the extent that they could potentially affect others, are potentially dangerous. Anything done in the name of god or angels or anything else is a result of someone else’s spirituality or religion. And such an action is an irrational action–in many cases, an irrational negative action. I am an atheist and quite happy with my life; I do not feel the need to invent gods or spirits or angels or anything else to be satisfied. I do not feel the need to use spirituality as a crutch, and I feel that many people do. I find this to be a very sad thing, for the reasons I explained earlier.

21. Lauren Wilczynski says:

ooops wrong board….I’ll post that on the other one

22. Jeni S says:

Hi Kevin

I have purchased various items from Uk and USA.
    Shulzes superfood (good dandelion coffee as well) is at
    also these guys are ex-Schulze students and have good superkelp mix,
    Also get a few things from

I have helped someone who had already survived bowel cancer twice. She was about 5 ft. tall only 80-90 lbs, about 80 years old and her name was Jane.
    She had gone to the docs and was told her BP was 180. She did not want to take the meds.Soon as she saw what the cancerous side effects were she just point blank refused.
    In my mind I immediatley got these visions of her driving down the 450 freeway and having some kind siezure and causing a major taffic accident that could lead to some serious injuries.

My brief explanation about going veggie could just save you from taking the meds. Explaining the animal fats and sugar being the 2 worse culprits. Next day she came with peanut butter sandwiches and was quite happy about it except for wanting Ice cream.
    As she had survived Chemo twice there were several foods that she could not digest as it just went straight thru her. I showed (and gave) her some nature biotics capsules. That did the trick. she could eat her favourite treat and still go veggie.
    Result.
    She went back to Docs six weeks later and her BP 110/80. Al the doctor said whatever you are doing keep it up. They were not interested in what she was eating at all.
    She retired fully after that went to a retirement vilage in the south california.

23. Bill says:

Thanks for another Rawesome show Kevin. Superfoods in Australia can also be found at http://www.raw-pleasure.com.au

We have most of the common superfoods although we cannot bring in hemp seeds at this stage.

Australia’s quarantine and customs are one of the toughest in the world and have toughened up even more recently under the new government. Superfoods that we were able to bring into the country last year, we are no longer allowed to import.

We had a case where we got the OK off the relevant authorities to bring in a product but by the time it came in it had been banned so we had to have it destroyed. (which WE had to pay for)!

24. Bernadette says:

Hi Kevin,

I’m sorry its taken so long to thank you for answering one of my questions but I’ve been having trouble submitting my comments on the blog and I’ve also been really busy with summer school, but I’ll be back in full force in about a week.

I don’t really have chronic swelling in my feet but I do notice they swell a bit if I eat anything I’m allergic to. I was really just wondering what things cause swelling in a person’s feet and hands and if it had anything to do with leg cramps.

The most successful thing I’ve done in introducting health foods to my family and friends is to help my husband overcome an enlarged prostate. He had it when I met him and was having it tested regularly when I taught him about eating raw foods, fruits and vegetables, about pH balance and staying away from processed foods and sugar. I had an acid/alkaline food chart up on my fridge that he used to consult regularly, and I took him to get his food allergies tested and to get his vitamins and minerals up to par. The lady who ran the testing also put him on Saw Palmetto and some other supplements for prostate. After a year and a half, his PSA test came out normal. He has been fine ever since.

On Father’s Day this year, I took my dad in for testing as well. He has some kidney problems and I hope we are successful with his health too. He has gradually come around to eating a lot more fruits and vegetables and is now making smoothies. Eventually, I hope we will be able to convince him to come off animal protein as well. I gave him a copy of the China Study for Christmas, but he hasn’t read it yet.. he says he’s waiting for the movie to come out. :)

25. Great video Kevin!

I’ve found that the best way to convince people to go raw is as Kevin says – show the results. So if you are glowing with health, people will notice and start to ask questions. The other way is to prepare delicious food to share with them. I find raw cakes and raw chocolate work well. My parents are eating a lot more raw food from this. The important this is not to push it, I tend to only talk about raw when I’m asked.

And as for where to buy superfoods in Europe – I run an online shop in the UK called Funky Raw – http://www.funkyraw.com/shop/ we specialise in the best quality products, organic where possible at the lowest prices.

Rob