Top 10 Ways to Stay Healthy on a Budget – The Renegade Health Show Episode #103

Thursday Jul 24 | BY |

Here they are…

The Top 10 Ways to Stay Healthy on a Budget!

I know what it’s like to be on a budget and feel like I’m not getting all the health products and tools I need. (I still feel this way!)

So here’s a list of the top 10 things you can do to stay healthy and keep your cash (and your sanity!)

Your question of the day: What would you suggest to stay healthy on a budget?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

Kevin

1. Sunnie Fernandes says:

Hi Kevin,
    I ask my grocer/farmer for discounts on bruised or over ripe produce. Sometimes they say yes, sometimes they say no, sometimes I get organic fruit for free!

2. Keven ,
    We don’t eat a lot of meat when we do I feel that venison is a safe product and keep it down to 5 ounces when we do .
    Also Some times we use a few small strips of grilled chicken in our salads with flack seed sprinkeled on top.

Bill

3. Don says:

Kevin,

I have found that juicing sprouts is very economical on a juice feast, I really dont know of a less expensive juice unless its foraged.

Green Don

4. debra says:

Walk at least 2 miles everyday.

5. Catherine says:

Hi Kevin,
    I recommend to buy straight from the farmer and cut out the middle man. We have a garden and have a share of an organic CSA (community supported agriculture).

I can get organic eggs for $2.75/dozen when at the grocery store they are over $5.50! The meat we buy is also straight from the farm – all by the animal ie. half a cow / full pig/ full lamb. Its the best way to eat. Sure you gotta fork out more at the beginning and own a freezer, but then you don’t have to buy for the rest of the year. And you have the peace of mind knowing that the meat you are eating is local, organic, fed and cared for well.

6. crow says:

Hi Kevin,

Love the top ten list, could you type in the list below the video, especially when you have
    web sites.

I would love to hear you top ten on herbs.

Crow

7. derek moore says:

Hi Kevin

If you learn about what meat/dairy and other animal products do to your body then you would cut them out TOTALLY.
    Have you read The China Study yet. If not then do so, then wake up and smell the roses and never mind the coffee

derek (uk)

8. Ramona says:

Hi Kevin:

LOVE your show!!! I get over ripe or bruised fruit at my local vegetable stand and use in my juicer. The juicer is a great appliance to own and it’s easy to get the right amount of veggies and fruits that we should have – without processing and sugar added.

9. Al says:

Grow whatever you can – veggies will grow almost anywhere with a little TLC.

Buy organic as much as possible – may cost more but ultimately with the more nutritious organics you will have to eat less & will save money.

Farmers markets.

Take Kevin’s advice on the green drink powders. I may go for several days on smoothies only & feel great doing it!

10. Shirley says:

My budger tip is to use up leftovers and other food before they need to be thrown away. It’s something I’m working on.

11. Shirley says:

Sigh. That would be budget tip.

12. Amie says:

My best tips, having lived on a college student budget for several years now…

-Shop at “ethnic” markets & Chinatowns!! You can get wonderful fresh produce (avocados, young Thai coconuts, Asian greens) at Mexican or Asian markets for less than half the price of the health food store. I’ve gotten young coconuts for 89 cents each when the same ones were “on sale” for $2.50 at Whole Foods! Many Asian markets are now carrying certified organic brown rice & soy sauce. Also look for seaweeds, wild-caught seafood, and whole grain soba noodles at great prices.

-If it’s too expensive to get all organic, just buy the “Dirty Dozen” organic. Other produce, like onions, broccoli, avocados, bananas, & pineapple have all been found to be low in pesticide residue. For the complete list, go to: http://www.foodnews.org/walletguide.php

-Soak non-organic produce in 1 gallon water with 1 Tbsp drugstore hydrogen peroxide for 15 minutes to help remove pesticide residues & parasites.

-If you own a food processor, grind your own nut & seed butters.

-Shop towards the end of the farmer’s market. They often slash prices or offer special bargains before closing to sell off the rest of their produce.

– Be friendly & talkative with the vendors at farmer’s markets. They’re usually very friendly, and if they get to know you, they’ll cut you special deals. (I’ve gotten bags of fruits, veggies, organic tofu, etc. for less than half price.)

-If your grocery chain carries organic produce, shop their sales! The quality can be comparable to natural food stores, but the price is usually unbeatable. The sales change each week, so it will encourage you to eat a variety of fruits and veggies.

-Stock up on dry bulk items at co-ops, even if you have to drive far once or twice a year. For example, celtic sea salt is $8 for a tiny little bottle at Whole Foods, or about $2 per POUND at a Co-Op 30 miles away from me. I stock up once a year.

-Try to eat RAW leafy greens at least once a day. They’re more filling & nutritious than cooked (stretches your $ farther), they suppress sugar cravings, and they’ll keep you from wasting money by overeating on other more expensive foods.

– Buy some squirt bottles at the hardware store & make your own cleaning supplies from vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, lemon juice, and essential oils. http://www.care2.com/greenliving/make-your-own-non-toxic-cleaning-kit.html

13. Eva Walker says:

I grow my own sprouts and use loys of onions and garlic.My house is never without cayenne or tumeric.I hardly eat any meat.Meat is just a treat for us in the house like once or twice a week.I also walk to almost everywhere I can.I live out in the ‘in the sticks’ so if I need to go into town I park just off the freeway and take my cart to the grocery store which is about 2 klm off the freeway.My food proccessor is over 20 years old so I’m putting away and saving money to buy another one when the motor burns out but will wait till it does burn out.

14. Meri says:

Awesome top ten, especially number one 😉

What about exercise? A lot of people feel like they have to join a gym to get fit, but you can get a great workout using bodyweight exercises, jogging or running in your local parks and using inexpensive items like dumbells and an exercise mat. Even walking is free!

On that note – Kevin, what would be the best form of exercise for a man and woman in their 50s, who are both a little overwieght and suffering from various degenerative issues like high blood pressure and heart trouble. I suggested walking but I wonder if there’s anything else that they could do to help improve their fitness without putting too much strain on their out of condition bodies?

15. Lindy says:

Thanks so much Kevin…for me, this is the most useful episode in the 100* I’ve seen.
    Will go shopping today, and get with the program in a totally new and better way!

16. stacy says:

When eating out, take your own head of lettuce. LOL.

17. Lauren says:

Amie’s said most of the relevant stuff.

And I’ll second the eat less meat notion, changing it, though, to “stop eating meat altogether.” It’s not nutritionally necessary, there are healthier and more ethical sources of every single nutrient contained in meat, and it is not sustainable.

18. Jenn says:

I agree, Arnie hit a lot of good points.

I like #10, amazing how using more anti-bacterial(or fungal) foods can help avoid extra Dr’s visits.

Freecycle is another option for getting some things, I’ve both received and purged my own apt of perfectly good items.

Farmers markets are great for seasonal produce, and better quality goods. This year I went a step further and work for a small farm 1 day a week. He gets the extra help and I get to take home some farm fresh organic veggies, usually picked myself!

19. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Thanks for all your comments! Amie, great list!

Derek, looks like you’re a little testy here…

Chill out, brother, sometimes you have to meet people where they are.

I don’t convince anyone to eat or eliminate anything… why? It’s never worked.

Lasting change is initiated by being an example, being trustworthy and through emotional triggering.

No one is going to make a change in their diet (or for that matter like you) if you tell them to “If not then do so, then wake up and smell the roses and never mind the coffee.”

They’ll likely kick you in the rear.

🙂

20. Taina says:

I’m learning how to sprout but need to know where do I buy the seeds? Is there a web site? 🙂

21. Nisha says:

I have been growing wheatgrass and juicing it. It costs about 2 dollars a week. I didn’t buy a wheatgrass juicer or anything, I just blend em up in the vitamix and squeeze out the juice. My husband and I have been drinking 1-2 ounces of wheatgrass first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and we feel great.

22. Nisha says:

Annie – your advice is invaluable.

I also found out about my local yoga studio. In exchange for 1 shift a week (about 5 hours of unpaid time dedicated to the stuido), I get all free yoga (astanga, hatha, flow) and workshops taught by amazing speakers – and all of it is free. It is right on the beach, so parking is a bare, but they have a parking garage so I don’t have to worry about that either.

Great tip on the Asian markets, I also shop at the chinese market and get outrageously low prices there on produce.

23. Nisha says:

Sorry – I keep thinking of more!

Just as important as what you eat, it is also important what you DON’T eat.

I avoid all sodas, high fructose corn syrup, all chemical sweeteners, processed grains, processed food, fast food, less salt and basically anything that is not natural, and guess what…that is all free and it makes you a ton healthier.

Most of us are so fixated on food, especially health nuts like us, that when we become more balanced, and interested in other things, that is when you truly find our purpose, when you stop thinking about food and start getting and having a real life!

24. Linda says:

Exercise (your body and brain) regularly; eat in moderation and enjoy every bite; let the people who are important to you know how you feel – simple and free.

25. Betty says:

Instead of paying for a gym membership, use the outdoors. Run, bike, rollerblade etc. If you live in rougher climates go to your community centre and check out their events. It saves up to $1000 of cash a year and allows you to be creative in the way you exercise.

26. Alicia says:

Amie, Awesome list!

Kevin, What greens besides wheatgrass do you sprout?

I think I’ve been LOLing all day, every time I think of “They’ll likely kick you in the rear.”

27. Bernadette says:

This year, I decided to grow a little garden. It’s not fancy.. just 2 tomatoe and 8 basil plants, some mint and parsley. I used my 2 cedar flower beds on the back of the deck. It is a real treat to go out and pick whatever I need on the spur of the moment.. it’s always fresh, organic and only cost me the price of the plants… actually the mint was from my dad’s garden, so it was as close to free as one can get. I haven’t grown a garden in 20 years and believe me, I’m no green thumb, so I know anyone can do it, given the space and climate.

28. cole says:

I know I already said this before but a great place to read free books online about eating healthy and being green is http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library.html

29. ida margrethe says:

Thanks Kevin, I’m in the process of ordering Vitamineral Green now, excelent tip!
    I’m a student, so i know all about trying to cut back on things.
    I guess my tip would be to walk more, leave the car behind and just walk everywere.
    I’m very stingy, so instead of taking the bus to school every day like all my friends, i walk, only takes about 40min.

These Top 1’s are awesome! Thanks heaps. Kee up the excellent work!

30. Bernadette says:

Hi Kevin,

I decided to grow a little garden this summer because of your shows.. 2 tomatoe plants, a few basil and parsley plants and some mint from my dad’s backyard. I have 2 cedar planters attached to the back of the deck and have never really used them for flowers, so this year, I’ve used them for growing vegetables.. and everything is thriving! I already have about 25 green tomatoes, and I’ve been using the parsley and basil for a few weeks. It’s awesome to have all this great nutrition at my finger tips and all for the price of a few plants. Just thought I’d let you know how you are touching lives.

31. Bernadette says:

I would have to say.. do a bit of gardening to stay healthy on a budget. It doesn’t have to be fancy. I decided to grow a few things in the cedar flower boxes attached to my deck, this summer. (BTW, I never would have done that if your show hadn’t put the idea in my head. Just wanted you to know how you touch the world out here with your ideas.)

I planted 2 tomatoe plants, a bit of basil, parsley and some mint that my dad had plenty of in his backyard.. and I’ve really enjoyed going out and picking fresh herbs so far. I haven’t gardened in 20 years, but I think this will be a regular yearly activity for me now. With all the rain we’ve had this summer, I haven’t had to do a thing but tie up the tomatoe plants because they were getting so big and full of fruit. Last count, I had about 25 and I know there are a lot more to come.

32. I found that especially after becoming a vegan, I do not go out to eat nearly as much, because what we make at home is better than the limited selection at a lot of local restaurants. I have saved so much money by creating imaginative dishes to share with friends and family and most importantly, I’m enjoying the peacefulness of staying at home more often. I’m getting friends and family interested in raw vegan dishes too!

33. Jerome says:

HI Kevin,
    I really enjoy your show.
    Well saving on food is possible when you buy your fresh food at the farmer market every week. Some farmers know me now and give me a lot of green leafs for free in addition to my shopping.
    Gardening would be good… I try to create a garden for employees on the campus of the University.However it will be difficult to save in winter in Oregon without farmer markets and no gardening.
    Jerome

34. Bernadette says:

I totally agree with you Libby. When I eat out, I find it hard to pick something from the menu that is as healthy as what I would be eating at home.. and it always costs sooo much more. I try to socialize by having people over now.. its healthier and cheaper.

35. Brian says:

Hi Kevin:
    Thanks for the show.
    To stay healthy on a budget, I would recommend avoiding restaurants since it uses gas to drive and each meal usually cost more than your daily grocery bills. You still have to wait for your meals to be served, which doesn’t save you time.

Buying your veggies from the farm is much cheaper than buying from grocery stores. You could also use as much of your front lawn to grow a lot more vegetables. Ocean Grown sells clean seawater which contains an ideal balance of minerals.

There is an article that talks about a free nitrogen rich fertilizer:

I would also recommend blending vegetables in a powerful blender like a vitamix since you absorb more nutrients than chewing alone and it also save time when you drink your smoothies instead.