Viktoras Kulvinskas on the 5 Elements to Incredible Health – The Renegade Health Show Episode #95

Monday Jul 14 | BY |

What I love about this show is that I can now take you with me…

What does that mean?

I can take you with me as Annmarie and I explore the different ideas and thoughts of leaders in the health and wellness world.

No one has ever turned me down when I’ve asked to record (sometimes I don’t ask at all if I suspect they’ll say no! 😉 ) and this allows me the opportunity to present the things that I’ve learned and taken away from events that I’ve been too.

I’m incredibly grateful for this and I hope you are as well!

Today’s show–instead of the usual “Take Action” show–is of Viktoras Kulvinskas who is considered by some to be the father of the Raw Food Movement.

Listen in to what he says, you might find it enlightening… or even a bit controversial…

Your question of the day: What did you think of what Viktoras says in the show? Good, bad, indifferent?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

Kevin

1. Eva Walker says:

Good One! He’s telling the truth.

2. Becky says:

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to view the clip and I think that made it a little harder to understand Viktoras. I am curious to know which supplement or life style change he was referring to for peri-menopausal women.
    Thanks

3. KING ARTHUR says:

The music is awful, brainwashing.
    Silent and a less hyper introduction.
    Victoras seems interesting.But whe I hear that music it is tempting to click delete. You do not need it to get your message over

4. Joyce says:

Thanks for sharing this experience. I would have loved to hear more / all.

As much as I’d love to think that eating a wide variety of fresh,organic food is sufficient for health, I lean toward agreeing that some supplementation is necessary as we don’t always eat the wide variety needed to supply all our needs and even if we did, soil depletion, transportation, warehousing robs what we do get of much of its nutritive value.

I eat mostly from the farmer’s market, and Whole Foods…but it’s not the same as actually ‘from field to table’, as in: my field, my table!

Loved the quote from the Surgeon General’s report! Don’t we know about the ‘help’ from the health care profession!

5. Rev Bob says:

I just wanted to THANK Annmarie for her “meatless meatballs”. I tried them and they were delicious. I even stuffed some mushrooms with the meatballs.

6. lisa says:

Kevin,

If you presented 5 ideas, it would be more organized and easier to follow…this guy was kind of jumping around. Also, did he say something about an athlete, a second one, who he put on the same program as Dan O’Brien, whose “testerone” levels rose by over 300 percent and who was almost sterile. Not testosterone, not progesterone; which he may have meant. Confusing. Aside from the fact that he said he observed the same muscle growth himself about 10 years ago, but doesn’t look too fit now. I realize Viktoras is older, but if he looked more like Jack Lalanne, who still looks pretty awesome for 90,it would have more credibility.
    Well Kevin, this makes us all appreciate the way you present information even more!

7. Rev Bob says:

KEVIN, I don’t usually respond, but I thoroughly enjoyed todays clip.
    Victoras gave me thoughts to think upon and to digest. I would have liked to hear his whole talk.

8. Dorian Valles says:

I pretty much agreed with what Viktoras said but it was somewhat difficult to understand him some of the time. Was it Blue Green Algae enzymes he was speaking of when he mentioned women who are going through menopausal symptoms?

9. Al says:

Great stuff, as always.

Too bad that info like this is seen as non-mainstream or edgy, as Kevin put it. If this was standard health advice, we would have a happier, healtier, safer, more productive society.

Let’s all have a goal to share this type of stuff with someone. Spread the word!

10. Mark says:

Phenomemal! Viktoras was one of my first raw food influences! Someone stopped me in the park while I was running to give me a copy of Love Your Body! Crazy! I haven’t looked back since!

11. Dorothy Clark says:

Enjoyed the show. Was interested in bluegreen algae and wheatgrass juice.
    Where can I get them? I really enjoy
    your comments and enthusiasm Kevin.
    I am using oreganol and oregamax. Do
    I need probiotics as well?

12. Anthony says:

I really had to agree with what he said! Enzymes, probiotics, wild blue green algae (for minerals/vitamins)… what more do you need as far as supplements go!? Honestly, I just realized this after a friend got on my case (in a good/helpful manner 😉 on all the supplements I took! We both agree now that if you REALLY (and I mean it when I say REALLY) load up on these 3 things you just may turn into a FREAKY BIG RAW GREEN GIANT!!! LOL

13. Carola says:

I agree with his take on the environmental effects we have on our planet. I never thought of that we contributed to the deterioration of our planet by consuming meat, but, come to think of it, it makes a lot of sense to me. I am interested in what effects bluegreen algae has on our health. Can you do a show on that?
    thanks Kevin for all you do.
    Carola

14. Anthony says:

Yea Viktoras has been through a lot, yet he remains a HUGE inspiration and hero in my life! After I read “Survival into the 21st Century” my life literally transformed before my eyes!!! If you look on the back cover of his book, he’s pretty shredded at age 60! Anyone know why he cut his hair!? He talks about frequent hair cuts being damaging to health in his book…

15. Bernadette says:

I think what Viktoras said is right on the money.. wish I had been there to hear the whole talk.

16. Liz says:

I too, found him a little hard to follow….a lot of good info, but not delivered so well. I also agreed with Lisa, that he didn’t look so vibrant & healthy…actually appeared pretty gaunt & weak.

17. Irina says:

Awesome show! Thank you for bringing us with you to hear Viktoras speak.

18. Ken Rohla says:

I had a week of instruction on enzyme nutrition from Viktoras a few years ago at Hippocrates Health Institute. His lectures were so brilliant the entire class agreed on the last day it was like being at Princeton in the 1930s with Einstein. Looks like from this clip Viktor is just speaking off the cuff, he can be much more organized and insightful. In class he very honestly discussed his lack of physical fitness in recent years compared to the past when he was very muscled and fit, attributing it to a very hectic schedule and focus on helping others. He is young at heart and a very humble man. His writings can be a bit difficult to read and he lectures like an information machine gun, but there are brilliant insights in his words.

19. sharon says:

I loved seeing Victoras, thank you for bringing this clip to us. I also have a sentimental place in my heart for this sweet man, author, leader, teacher and groundbreaker. Yes he looks weathered, I’m sure in part due to the loss of his lovely wife just this past year. I have a friend who recently visited with him at his home and the photos do show him with long hair. Kevin I would be interested in a breakdown of the products/supplements he recommends with brands and sources. Do you take E3 live? I’ve been toying with ordering it – just need to get over the cost hump. I feel less alone with you, Annemarie and the bloggers out there!

20. Bonjour Kevin,

It is Bastille day, but I don’t miss your show.
    I enjoy everyday your short show. Thank you for sharing part of the talk of Viktoria: he is basically right and I try to apply these knowledge to my athletic live as cyclist. I am not sure about his idea that we have to supplement… I think having organic vegan, much as possible raw is sufficient to transform my average body to a high performance body becoming younger instead older. Spurina are great as complement to green smoothies with hemp powder.
    Jerome, Portland Oregon

21. Lindy says:

Interesting. But he does not look the picture of robust health. That alone makes it hard to believe in him.

22. Ray O'Quinn says:

I have heard thru the grapevine that Viktoras is planning on opening an institute in Costa Rica. Does anyone have any information on this?

23. Lauri says:

Kevin, I TOTALLY disagree with King Arthur. I LOVE your music. I think it brings a wonderful energy to your show. And I see your introduction(s) as passionate and inspirational, not “hyper”. I guess we all perceive things differently. Keep on doing what you’re doing!! You and Ann Marie are AWESOME. I hope I get to meet you both someday!!
    Lauri

24. Meri says:

Thanks for bringing Viktoras to my attention.I’ve had his name in my head for a few days now and I wasn’t sure why. Must have heard someone mention him. I will be checking out his books to get a more in depth knowledge of his approach to health.

I love the idea that we can use nutrition to correct and heal every cell of our bodies in order to maximise our potential as human beings. That’s so inspiring to me because really, if all we had to look forward to was cancer, heart disease, arthritis, becoming old and frail and taking a massive line-up of pills from Big Pharma then I just wouldn’t see the point. What a wretched existence that would be. No thanks!!

Kevin…please do not get rid of your great theme music – I love it!! What does everyone else think about it? Music yay or nay?

25. Heike says:

Hi Kevin;
    I would also like to know more about blue green algae; and come to think about it, I am getting more rather than less confused, the more I read about enzymes and probiotics.

Is it Probiotics an hour BEFORE the meal ? and enzymes WITH or AFTER the meal.

I would seriously like to reduce the number of supplements I take, so un-complicating this would be great when you have time.

thanks for all your research, and I like your fitness breaks too … the shoulder sessions was great for this office-bound person. 🙂

Heike

26. Kathy Clayton says:

Kevin I first want to say I love your opening music! It wakes me up and makes me think “healthy”. Unfortunately this man is what most people think of when you say “raw food junkie”. He does not look good. His clothes just hang on him! You and your wife on the other hand looks so great! Anyway, I am big on supplements. I take several along with a super green tea and some super-foods! Victor was correct about our foods not being what they use to be!
    PS: Love the meatballs! And my 13 yr old son asked for more walnut tacos/spingrolls.

27. Hi Kevin,

Could you report about seaweed of supplement for raw vegan diet ?
    thank
    Jerome

28. Lauren says:

He’s a bit anti-science and overly reliant on spirituality from what I’ve heard from him so far, so I find it difficult to take anything he says seriously unless he backs it up with a more reliable source. I agree with many of the things he says in this clip, however, my reasons for those opinions are different than his reasons for the same opinions.

Not to mention he sounds like Kermit the Frog when he talks…I’m not a fan of Viktoras, he’s a bit mental far as I can tell. Far too much reliance on anecdotal evidence and spiritual concepts, which are, in combination, almost guaranteed to create a biased result. Honestly, his approach in telling “miracle stories” exactly parallels the marketing tactics of the diet pill companies….again, not impressed.

And “King Arthur”, the theme music’s been around since day 1, and it’s not going anywhere….I quite like it, so I hope it’s not going anywhere, anyway. It’s one of those catchy little things that sticks in your head, which is generally what theme music SHOULD be.

29. patricia says:

Kevin, we quite enjoy your music (someone else who always has great music is Dax Moy!)Viktoras content was interesting but his delivery was as though his mind is racing way ahead of the ability of speech to keep up with it. He mentioned wheatgrass and I would really like to see you do a program on methods of growing it and how to get the most benefit from it without having to buy a specialized juicer for it, we have blender, food processor and centrifugal juicer. Hope to see something on wheatgrass soon. Thanks for all the great shows.

30. Tracy says:

Kevin and Annemarie,
    The show was good. There is always something to learn, even if you don’t agree with the person on everything!

You guys have to get over to letsrun.com and check out the raw food conversations going on there! My 21 year old son is running in college and hopes to continue professionally. He is on the site all the time, but over the weekend he was laughing his head off, so I came to check it out and ended up laughing my head off too!! It would appear that Brenden Braizer is having an effect with his book “The Thrive Diet” (which I am currently reading). My son is not so sure that the raw diet would be THAT benefical to him, but living with me he gets enough good stuff and is familiar with the diet, so he could truly appreciate the blog! Check it out!
    Tracy

31. sarah says:

i truly enjoyed listening to viktoras, our dear raw elder. i am about to listen to him again.
    i appreciate your interviews, they are helping me.
    thanks!

32. Bernadette says:

Hey Meri,
    Music – yay!! I love it. So do my cats. They dance to it.

33. Scott says:

The Father of Raw Foods. I had the honor and pleasure of seeing Viktoras last month in NY. Although I did not necessarily agree with him on everything (e.g., how to get adequate amounts of B-12), I sure got a lot of great information from him. So, he’s not exactly “well polished” and he cites anecdotal observations to support his opinions. So what! That’s who he is and I accept and acknowledge him for his valuable contributions. Thank you for the clip.

Peace & Light,
    Scott

34. amy says:

That music comment was silly. The music is a part of the show!
    Victoras is so hard to understand when he talks!
    I have to comment on how unhealthy he looks but I can’t find out how old he is on the internet anywhere so I’m giving the benefit of the doubt.
    I have only a vague recollection of the things he said, I found him that hard to understand.

35. Vik is right on – about needing to have a plant based diet to save
    the world. The super blue green algae is amazing – with the
    enzymes and the probiotics. I can feel the entire digestive system
    working. I also give it to my dog and her case of lupus (seen on
    her nose) is clearing up. This after two months. Lots of energy and
    stamina, great disposition. Have also started taking SunWarrior
    protein powder and activated barley – these two products would
    be great topics for future shows.

LOVE everything Viktoras says – he is brilliant – one has to hear
    him a couple times to get everything he says. I too heard that he
    may be having retreats down in Costa Rica – that would be
    wonderful – except for the carbon footprint of airline flight.

36. Linda says:

I was never interested in hearing Victoras talk before. I was always turned off by the mad scientist look about him. I never read his books. I was, however, very pleased with his talk at Glen’s cafe. I think as the “father of raw foods”, he played the part of father very well. He talked about the importance of emotional eating and thus transcending it. He talked about the need to get away from the more puritanical approaches to raw foods (which I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with). I loved how he said people are so concerned about being so pure with their food but nobody on this planet is breathing raw, organic, uncooked air. Loved it. He talked about it being OK to eat some lightly steamed veggies in the diet, although when we asked him what he eats each day, it was all raw (which is totally great.) For 70 years, he’s thin but his skin looks good, his eyes are clear and bright, he has little gray hair in that very thick head of hair he has. He had lots of energy and is very heart-centered as he talks. He was very willing and open to talk with people afterwards and was very approachable. I am very glad that Glen put this together and that I decided to go.

I think, Kevin, you could have pulled out many other things that Victoras said which would have been construed as more controversial than the clip you showed. There aren’t any disagreements that I have although Matt saw this clip and wanted to see the data on how animal husbandry is the #1 contributor to green house gas. I guess I’ll google it. As raw papa joked, “seek god first, then google.” (or words to that effect. What a crack up.

It would be good for Victoras to make these videos available to people. Maybe you can swing that with him.

Good work. Nice seeing you and Annmarie again and hope you enjoyed the Berkshires!

love and hugs,
    Linda Wooliever

37. Don says:

I still don’t believe we’re supposed to be eating blue green algae(pond scum). I did it for a couple of years-marginal results. When I went raw- I experienced an awesome difference. Also, I’m not much for supplements except probiotics, enzymes(at times)and a green drink.Also, I just started ionized alkalized water- an awesome addition to the diet.His other comments were much appreciated.

38. Sheryl says:

Hi Kevin and Ann Marie,

Victoras reminds me a lot of Arnold Kaufmann who speaks in a similar fashion. Victoras has a lot of passion about what he believes, and I think that this passion is needed to pursue and maintain this restrictive life style. I happen to believe that you need to have some supplementation being on this diet to make sure that you are meeting all of your vitamin and mineral requirements. But I think that the way we each go about getting those nutrients that we can’t get from whole food itself can vary and must take into consideration individual body types, prior and current health conditions, etc.

39. M Burke says:

VK is always a terrific motivating speaker. I have heard him speak many times on recordings from raw festivals and seminars and guest appearances. He seems to have no end to new things to say and new ways to frame the good news about raw food. Maybe you’ll have him on again?

40. Elaine says:

I like Viktorus…..I’ve been to one of his “workshops”. But what bothers me is that I understand that he is a distributor in a multilevel company for the bluegreen algae that he he recommends. That always makes me wonder if he’s not pushing it to make sales. I hope I’m wrong.

41. Jenn says:

I agree on the music, keep it! At this point the theme song is what I expect to hear and if I am zoning out it brings me right back to listen when I hear it.

The talk was very interesting, I am glad I was there for it. While there are a few parts I wasn’t sure I agreed on(all the supplements) and his mind and talking are a bit off(but so are most really bright minds) that didn’t bother me at all. It was a great night and listening to him made me think of a number of things, that made sense from science stand point(to bad not all on video). His 5 main points should be basic rules, very true, it is all the rest people read into it that is questionable! Much of his info did make sense, just a matter of listening and absorbing what info was before dissecting it.

42. Judy Barber says:

The man is a genius, and I don’t say that lightly. I was lucky enough to spend a week learning from him on the Hippocrates Health Educator Programme in Florida and he was brilliant. He mixed humour, anecdotes and a strong sense of humanity with really knowing his stuff in terms of the science – which might not have come across in the clip. Believe me, I’m fussy about the science having been raised by a biologist and studied science myself, and from studying whole foods for a long time. He quoted chapter and verse easily and fielded all our questions. Catch him if you can – and do get in touch with me if you want to know more about the hippocrates Programme.

Thank you Kevin. The clip perked up my moring 🙂 Judy Barber

43. Margarita says:

Kavin, thank you for all your shows. And thanks, specifically, for this show & the video on Kulvinskas. It’s very interesting – and every bit of healthy advise is good…one can change the world… one health advise at a time!!!

44. Susie Beiler says:

I find it interesting how some people eating raw food seem to be very in their heads and seemingly ungrounded. When they speak, it’s very tangential and hard for me to follow their points. Does anyone else notice this?
    On the other hand, some people eating raw food are very grounded and focused. Bio-individuality I suppose…

45. Arianna Rose says:

Hi Everyone,

I have the pleasure of working with Victoras Kalinskas and his personal assistant Katharine Clark. He is one of the kindest and most learned men I’ve ever met. We just presented a free seminar on these superfoods at Bonobo’s Raw Restaurant in NYC last night.

Because of their examples I started using the Blue Green Algae – love it – and became a distributor. For those of you who asked how to get it, please feel free to contact me at arose1212@earthlink.net and I’ll gladly share my information and my story with you!

Thanks Kevin for the service you provide.

46. Kosotie says:

Great clip, first time I saw him “live”, but it a good “kick in the butt” for most people, be it all true or not, but it helps to try it (change your lifestyle!)

Keep going Kevin

Love
    /Kosotie

47. Lana says:

Hey Kevin! I haven’t gotten through all the responses yet because I found the comment about your music so tastless. I just had to tell you that your music and your abundance of enthusiasm is what keeps us all coming back.
    I know from other times that there have been negative comments that you have a very strong sense of self and won’t take it personal but I just had to say something.
    Thanks for all you do!

48. Esoteric Engineer says:

I, too, would love to watch the entire lecture. Please make it available somewhere for free download! (BitTorrent, or a free FTP site are good, viable options, to save you bandwidth.)

This is excellent information.

However, the global warming phenomenon is clearly not man made, and I am unhappy whenever I hear people using it to promote good things. What carbon emissions are is a measure of the real pollution that an activity is releasing, and of its inefficiency. Man made carbon emissions, in general, itself is a non-issue.

Man made global warming is a fraud, which I think is intended to cover-up real issues, such as other toxic gaseous releases that cause disease and GM food, etcetera (how many environmentalists are fighting real issues? Not many. But a great many are fighting to reduce carbon emissions).

The carbon scam is dangerous because it is prompting people to burn biodisel, which creates food shortages, third world poverty, land wastage (as extra land is used, and cleared, to grow fuel crops), and still produces gases that are toxic and threaten our wellbeing. Also, the carbon scam is making people feel good about burning fossil fuels so long as the carbon is removed from the emissions (carbon sequestration). Again, other gases, which are actually harmful, are still being released but hardly anyone talks about that!

49. Esoteric Engineer says:

Those who wish to read the UN report on animal agriculture and carbon emissions may find it via the following link:

‘Livestock’s Long Shadow’

50. mary says:

Hey Kevin — LOVE your fun music! It makes me smile whenever I hear it. I so appreciate all you and Annemarie are doing — love your shows. Have tried lots of the recipes. Seeing Annemarie make them really helps. Had I seen “massage the avocado into the kale” in print only . . . never would have known!

51. Sheilah Renaud says:

Hi Kevin, Great info from Victoras about Blue-green algae. Thanks….also, I use stevia liquid in my tea because my teeth are succeptable to cavities and I get canker sores easily. Tastes neutral to me. I’m on a vegan %60 raw diet and I have to be careful about concentrated sweets. I know macrobiotic diets are yang and at the same time pretty dead (cooked). Same with Ayurvedic foods (dahl/rice stamed veggies) but I’m not sure how to feel nourished without cooked grains, baked yams, sweet potatoes, root veggie soups etc…. Like for instance,shitake/wakame/rutaga/turnip/parsnip soups feel great in the winter…any comments? Sheilah

52. Lauren says:

Susie–yes. See my previous post on this same thread.

53. I am not at all shocked by what he said. My research has shown he is telling the truth! And there is so much more. I wish I had been there to learn everything he had to say. I am concerned about the people who, like me, cannot afford to drive their car to work. These people obviously cannot afford to spend $50.00 or more a month on supplements. The people who are eating what they presume to be good, healthy green whole foods from the grocery store, but in fact, are nutritionally starving because these are commercially grown on fields that are depleted of the necessary nutrients. In my town,Detroit Lakes, Minnesota, we have a Farmer’s Market where people can buy fresh produce grown within a 60 mile radius of DL, but because it is Minnesota, the season is so short. When the snow comes, we all have to buy at the grocery store. Thank you for your passion and your willingness to teach the rest of us.

54. Scott says:

Looks like Viktoras could use a nice beef steak and a good beer.
    Come on people, wake up.

55. Cheryl Holt says:

Kevin and Annmarie,

I’m not sure how far out from the date of the show we can post? I’m catching up on my saved shows that I wanted to spend time watching over and over again.

So here goes. I am just learning about amazing Wheat Grass and after this I am pulling out my copy of the Dead Sea Scrolls to check out vol 4. Viktoras said some amazing things.

The statement that we have the potential to rebuild on a cellular level with the help of sea vegtables and repair DNA is somewhat breath taking. That means we have the potential to cure genetically determined illnesses by using products from the sea? Is that a correct interpretation on my part? I am off to get the book Sea Energy Agriculture as the future should be staring back at me off the pages.

I was raw curious last year and ate mostly organic. Now as a Vegan Raw foodist, I must confess that I am just beginning to learn about the miracles of wheat grass and am blown away by the healing properties and support that is has for the body. I use Spirulina from Health Force and The Sun is Shining now from sunfoods.com. I must admit again that I had no idea what powers blue green algae had either.

I found this show to be the most amazing ever! Thank you for sharing this very vital information. Oh and Scott, we are awake and becoming even more awake. Enjoy your steak. : )

56. sun says:

Aloha Ihave been 100% raw for over 40 years now
    Viktoras has contributed a concentrated life of pioneering raw foods he has better things to do that lift weights all day now.

Also he is Mr Technical detail if you want to access that information.
    be kind and dont compare him to the governor of California.

he has dont the whole range himself for 4 decades as well…

And one day everyone on this list will pass through the stage of physical change. Vik is in his late 60’s!!

Sun

57. Daya says:

In a field that is pioneering a new kind of health paradigm, we need to be really honest with ourselves. As the father of the raw food movement, Mr. Kulvinskas does not look good. To me, and I say this with all due respect, even for a man in his late 60s, he looks sickly, weak and debilitated. This is not what I would like to look like when I reach that age.

Because of his appearance, while I do find a lot of his ideas helpful and enlightening, I cannot embrace everything he says like it’s gospel.

Also, it would be interesting to know what his wife died of. The raw food diet and lifestyle makes claims of health benefits, which may be true in the short term, but we NEED to know if these claims can be substantiated by looking at the people who have been on this diet for decades. We owe it to ourselves. Our health is too important to fall prey to wishful thinking.

58. To me Viktoras has the look of a looney. I have seen him several times in person here in Boston along with Ann Wigmore, and they appear to me to be from the same country. (Not the U.s.A.)
    Viktor has a weird freakish look to him as if he were directly from Hippie Ville.

He and I are about the same age. I am 68 now, but he is about two or three years older.
    I would take him more seriously if he had a more normal look about him, but as it is, I cannot. Yes, I too, have read all of his books.