What is in Nama Shoyu and is Our Food Supply Safe – The Renegade Health Show Episode #93

Thursday Jul 10 | BY |

These topics are relatively unrelated, but that’s what happens when you cover the news…

You have no control over what comes up!

In this episode, I talk about nama shoyu and what’s in it as well as explain what’s going on with the salmonella outbreak that was originally attributed to tomatoes… but now it looks like they’re looking somewhere else.

Check it out…

Your question of the day: Your thoughts on the rising oil prices AND what alternatives have you used?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment here!

If you’d like to sign the online petition I talked about in the show about rising oil prices visit this site: http://www.stopoilspeculationnow.com/

Kevin

PS. Next week, I’m having Dhru from WeLikeItRaw.com on my Renegade Roundtable show… you can either listen to it in the 24 hour period, or you can get his call and everyone else I’ve done in the past and future by joining the Renegade Health Inner Circle… Click here to read more…

1. Al says:

There has always been speculation in commodities such as oil, and there always will be, in a capitalist economy. The increase in prices is more due to the Federal Reserve making money too available which led to the mortgage crisis, and now continuing to print money in an attempt to buy our way out of the current economic situation. The more money in circulation, the less each dollar is worth, and voila, a rise in prices for oil, food etc…Am driving less, walking more, taking public transportation if possible.

2. David says:

possibly unify with the airlines and buy the barrels one time not twenty.
    build electic carsthat do noy run an any gas. there is also converting to run on part water.

3. Anne-Marie says:

my alternative: public transportation. Use my car only when absolutely necessary and usually, share it with some friends.

As for reducing the “oil” demand: I try not to use plastic materials since they are made from oil derivative. Also, I don’t use any cosmetic. I avoid wrapped produces.
    Another important thing I do, I try to buy locally made and sold stuff. Also, I’m a member of a Freecycle group where people gives away their no more wanted stuff, its kind of an exchange group, there are all around the world. You can look at them at http://www.freecycle.org . That way, you don’t consume more. Just more intelligently.

4. Steve Mackel says:

Kevin,

Keep up the good work and we better vote for Obama or give carte blanche to the oil companies. Check out the “Enron Loophole” for more of this oil scandal but beware the deregulation is moving worldwide.

Oh yeah, watch the oil prices come down slightly before the elections, like someone is doing something about it, ha.

Steve Mackel ChiRunning Instructor

5. Joyce says:

As a retiree, I have a few more options to help use less oil as I don’t have a job I must get to each day. I make fewer trips for errands by compulsively making lists of things I need and places I must go. I do most of my shopping within a 3 mile radius of home. Amazing how many places we really don’t need to go.

I use public transportation, at least one if not two days a week, to my volunteer position.

And I make a game out of seeing how many days I can make $20 worth of gas last!

6. Emily Westrick says:

I think it took a long time to get to another stage of awareness since the energy crisis of the 1970’s. We did a lot of things then to reduce consumption, and something happened and then we forgot all about it. I think we should go into high gear on electric cars, pedal cars, bike trails, roads to accommodate bikers and walkers, solar power, wind power, energy efficient buildings, eating less meat and all the little things as well, and then we should keep doing it.

7. Dawn B says:

I live 30 miles from my job, as a lifestyle choice, just can’t be a city dweller. But, I bought a more economical car and try to use it efficiently. I also avoid plastics of all kinds, no ziplocs, no bags, no rubbermaid bins, etc. I’ve always been anit-plastic, it just has become more important lately.
    I’m also a fellow freecycler 🙂

8. Lauren says:

Just being vegan alone is a great way to conserve oil and other resources.

9. Bea says:

My husband and I ride our bikes to work and to as many chores as we can, weather permitting. If more people can decrease our demand on oil, then the greener alternatives will have a better chance of being implemented sooner.

10. Jenny Lens says:

Food safety: the number one issue that is not being discussed is the source and cause of these illnesses: meat and dairy industry!

Hello, chemicals and waste are being dumped or leaked into our sewers and ground water supplies. The very water supply and that ends up on our veggies. Until we literally wake up and smell the crap from the meat (beef, chicken, pork, veal, etc) and dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc) industry, fresh produce will increasingly become dangerous to us.

We are allowing food manufacturers to poison us, esp raw foodies. Why is this topic rarely discussed? Even the spinach “problem” last year or so was traced to contaminated water from the beef industry. These contaminants are not found naturally on produce. Salmonella and e coli thrive on the unsanitary, over-medicated environment for the meat and dairy industries.

What say you?

There’s much more to oil than transportation. Did you know there are two kinds of white vinegar, one distilled from wood grain and one from petroleum? The list of petroleum by-products is vast and huge.

Until MAJOR changes are legislated, all of us who walk, use cloth bags, etc are a minor drop in a great big bucket. It’s way past the time to constantly contact our legislators, the press, and more. We need to discuss this with our children, co-workers, neighbors, local business owners, Chamber of Commerce, whatever. We need to empower each other to become aware and motivated to make major changes.

We need every city to immediately ban plastic bags or charge so much for them people will gladly bring their own reusable bags. We need to penalize those who use oil products when there are viable alternatives. The only thing that works is monetarily punishing those with their heads in the sand.

We are quite simply addicted to petroleum in every aspect of our lives and it’s going to take something radical to make effective change.

Sound fierce? Well, nothing else seems to be working. Tiny baby steps are better than nothing, but at this rate, effective change might come too late.

Why should those of us who live responsibly have to suffer as much as those who waste precious resources? Make those who waste, pay more! Get them where it hurts!

11. Anthony says:

Hey Kevin! Great video! Just wanted to thank you for all the videos and information you give out! One question—I love Nama Shoyu, but stopped using it a while ago when a friend gave me the idea that it MAY have MSG in it from the natural fermentation process! :-0 What do you think? I know Bragg’s does! LOL

PS: I think this link may be ALL you need for the Lyme – http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/herbs2.htm

^^^I had a deadly MRSA infection a while back and used the book “Herbal Antibiotics” to combat it and fully recovered sooner than expected!!! Also did NOT have to take any drugs/prescription anti-biotics thankfully! I really took the information to heart and went full throttle w/ the herbs! Just shows the true power of the plant kingdom! (He talks about how herbs are more chemically complex than anti-biotics and thus combat a wider range of bacteria-has herbs for each strain of bacteria-also interesting viewpoint on bacteria and human symbiotic relationship…)

Wish you full recovery!

OM SHANTI

12. Meri says:

I really have nothing to say on the rising prices of oil due to speculation. It makes me slightly annoyed to say the least. Just looks like manipulation of oil dependent populations (us) to me. Grrr

13. Margaret says:

Kevin this is probably not related to the question above but I am confused as I have read so many times about soya being bad for us, what is your opinion on this?

Thanks

Margaret

14. Jenn says:

Hey Kevin, thanks for the answer on wasabi 🙂

MY thoughts on the oil situation are mixed, I’m hoping with new president(hopefully Obama) something will change. If not it is becoming such a concern people are paying a little more attention, even of for some of general public that is only because they are paying more for items so it as their attention

Myself cutting back – during the summer I do not drive as much because I don’t need to drive to work. If I need anything and it is not a humid day(which we have today in CT is seems) I walk and am looking into a bike. Buying local produce and dairy/meat as much as possible, cutting on transportation costs there as well(and it tastes better/healthier)

Looking forward to the talk tonight at Cafe 🙂

15. Manfred says:

I agree with David that the main reason for the oil “crisis” is that the Federal Reserve/US Government are printing way too many $$$. Oil is priced in US$, so if you were an oil producing nation selling oil in US$, you you want more of those dollars as the dollar became devalued. The real crisis is th US economy. Sort that out and oil won’t be so expensive. While oil rises have also affected other countries, they haven’t been affected as much as the US, because the US$ being devalued means that we get more dollars for our money.

16. Sallie says:

I don’t own a car and never have so the price of gas doesn’t apply to me..I walk just about where ever I have to go..if it’s far, then I use public transportation.

17. Jeanne SDR says:

Hi Kev,
    Off the oil subject, on the going out for a walk subject… Last year I was out for my early morning run and the beauty of the day beckoned me away from the “beaten path” to walk along the railroad tracks (a breathtaking ravine)and through a field. It was all good. The rest of the day was spent in the sunshine with my family. By the evening I felt I’d gotten too much sun on my legs, and by morning my skin was like raw hamburger. Through lots of research I found there is a plant in my area of the country which is getting quite out of control because of budget cutbacks and reduced cutting on roadsides. I bring all this up because the plant is quite harmless looking and very dangerous. The oils get on your skin and bind with your DNA, then is activated by the sun, and seriously burns your skin and tissues. It can also be a problem for short hair dogs. PLEASE, take a look at this website and be aware of the plant.

Do take extreme care in disposing of it if you find it on your property. Also take care to not come into casual contact with it with bare skin while hiking.

Jeanne SDR

18. Gem says:

For heating one’s home I suggest that people begin to think about wood burning stoves.

19. ROB says:

I live in Central Florida right now about 45-60 minutes to work or to the nearest “town” and there is virtually no public transportation available. I’m hoping to move out of Florida to a more walkable city next year. To learn more about the oil “crisis” I highly recommend reading The Long Emergency by James Howard Kunstler. Also see The End of Suburbia and A Crude Awakening on DVD.

20. CINDY says:

a friend told me that how we heal by douglas morrison is an excellent book….what do you think is the book worth purchasing?

21. Michele says:

I believe if we drill for oil in on the Alaskan north slope and other places we will find that there is no such thing as peak oil. This earth has plenty of oil, possibly a replenishing supply from the core of the earth. Russia has drilled oil wells over 40000ft. deep. It is just the power hungry elitists that control the price and supply. Of course, this said, we should still prefer solar, wind, etc.

22. ida margrethe says:

yeah, rising oil prices, been waiting for that for a while..im just glad that finally countries have opened the eyes to the problem, and hopefully we will find a suistainable solution. i have no ide what though, im no engineer ;]
    but more walking and bike riding and public transport and all that, but im sure theres other means of fuel out there rthan gas, oil, petrol.

23. Bernadette says:

I’m actually feeling rising gas prices for the first time in my life. I’m not a driver and until I was married, didn’t own a car, walked or rode my bike everywhere in summer and took public transit in winter. I use cloth bags for groceries, try to eat local organic and don’t eat meat, dairy or white vinegar. 😉 However, my husband has moved from Waterloo, where he works, to Guelph and spends 45 minutes on the road twice a day to get to his job and back. His car is costing us a bundle and it is rumored that gas prices could be up to $2.50/L by next summer. Yikes! It has caused us to look at houses in Waterloo but I don’t really want to move, and at hybrid cars.

24. Kadi says:

I suggest US also starts taxing oil at a decent rate (like in Europe) so there’d be more incentives for the industry to make cars that use less gas etc. Right now your cars have a truly bad reputation in the old world. Well, the timing might not be perfect, but you really ought to catch up…

25. Laurie Masters says:

Here’s a good one … I challenge ANYONE here to come up with a single downside to ethanol (alcohol fuel), when done as described in the phenomenal new book by permaculture farmer and systems ecologist David Blume (see http://www.alcoholcanbeagas.com/?bid=2&aid=CD93&opt).

Okay, there is ONE downside: the one-time $50 cost of a cold-start device to ignite ethanol on cold mornings in some areas. Other than that, ethanol done correctly sells for about $2.50/gallon, reverses global warming, supplies enough organic food to feed the world’s population, cleans our air and waterways, triples engine life, revitalizes depleted soils, gets better mileage than diesel, eliminates the need for agrochemicals, provides full employment and local wealth … and a lot more.

VIRTUALLY EVERYTHING the mainstream hears about ethanol is a bold-faced lie — our perceptions are being “managed” by the American Petroleum Institute (the PR arm of the industry), much as the American Cancer society and such organizations dictate what most of America believes about health.

26. del says:

I think paying for the real cost of gas and oil up front is definitely the way to go. And by cost I meant all the costs including the health and environmental cost as well as for it’s extraction and production cost. This is ancient sunlight that took what 400 million years to make and we’re dumping the carbon dioxide and global warming on the next generation and the seventh generations to come. If we paid up front for that it would give us the incentive to design our lives and community that are more sustainable. We would have walkable and bikeable communities. Smaller vehicles. Healthy people. Life would be awesome!!!

27. lisa says:

Hi Kevin,
    I don’t think the higher price at the pump is the worst thing that could happen. It only forces many people to modigy wasteful behaviors. I do feel for people on fixed income, though.
    Throughout history economic challenges have forced change in the preferred fuel supply of the day. We have adapted.