Follow Up on Lyme Disease Comments and Your Questions – The Renegade Health Show Episode #88

Thursday Jul 3, 2008 | BY |

In this episode I wanted to address some of your comments on Tuesday’s Lyme disease show…

There were over 100 comments and I think it’s important to address some of them in this show, particularly the first issue that I bring up.

Since I’ve never been “ill” with anything before, I now realize in a much more compounded way (since thousands of people have watched the show and given me advice) how confused people can get if they’re dealing with an illness.

I also address if healthy people can get sick.

Go ahead and take a look…

Your question of the day: What are your comments on today’s show? Am I right? Am I wrong? What do you think? 🙂

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

Kevin

PS. If you missed yesterday’s groundbreaking announcement on how you can get the information from thousands of pages of health books in a fraction of the time–for FREE, please click here to visit Health Book Summaries and register now!

1. Lauren says:

Of course healthy people can get sick. Rich people can suffer financial loss, vegans might benefit from a drug tested on animals, etc.

Hardly anything is black and white. There’s no point in defying common sense for the sake of being anal. You have to do what you have to do, and that is where common sense comes in.

If even the natural experts recommend that there is no effective natural remedy for Lyme disease, I’d take their word for it…they know their stuff more than anyone else.

Keep doing what you’re doing.

2. Joyce says:

No doubt about it, healthy people are susceptible to illness. The up side of this is healthy people have the tools and the solid foundation to get well quickly.

To become infected by an outside source is not the same as becoming ill from the inside as the body ages and deteriorates from poor lifestyle choices.

Our immune systems are valiant warriors but even they can be temporarily unable to ward off a blatant barrage of bacteria. But a strong immune system will prevail with proper care and treatment.

The medical profession does have an important role to play in such an instant. We give them short-shrift because they too often treat the symptom and not the cause. And they haven’t yet grasped the important role food plays in our well-being. But that aside, following a known protocol for the treatment of a bacterial infection makes good sense. Rubbing the spot with a lemon peel would be a bit fool-hardy in this day and age.

The enlightened individual will seek the best of both worlds.

3. Danieal says:

I think that anyone can get sick. I think its important to do the research and do what is best for you because its your body and who knows it best.

4. linda says:

i still stand by the allimed for acute or chronic illness………i have personally seen the results and had very close friends get over chronic limes, c-dif and mrsa, and h.pylori using it……it is natures antibiotic and anyone reading this who has any of these illnesses needs to consider it.
    my friend i mentioned with c-dif started today with trouble breathing and with her history of pneumonia we got her right on the allimed. in the past with a 3 day holiday coming up we would have run to the doctor but we have no fear of needing a doctor or a script for antibiotics. i do believe you kevin need to continue your treatment you have chosen but if it doesn’t work consider the allimed!!

5. Elaine says:

Always enjoy your show. Wish you could have spent more time answering questions.

6. Jos says:

Yes Kevin you are right for follow the path you have taken regarding antibiotics. In the case of Lyme disease where antibiotics have proved that they work well against that disease, I would not hesitate myself one second. I do agree with you however that as you take the antibiotics you should also take some natural remedies that will counterbalance the effect of the antibiotics on your body.
    I hope that you get back to your healthy normal soon.
    Best wishes,
    Continue the great work!

7. Catherine says:

Hi Kevin,
    since you are dealing with bacteria and antibiotics, i will share this story..
    My first daughter had chronic ear infections and was on antibiotics. They wanted to put tubes in her ears before they burst. I tried it their way but the antibiotics did not work because the infection would just keep coming back. I had found oil of oregano and started giving it to her. It worked awesome. She was getting better the next day. No more chronic ear infection.
    At least for a bacterial ear infection, oil of oregano worked better than antibiotics.

8. Carol Kraft says:

I agree on the need for antibiotics in acute cases such as Lyme Disease or Malaria. Speaking of Malaria, what do you think of vaccination shots for Malaria before you go to a tropical climate, like say India? Are there good alternatives out there? I am thinking of going in Jan next year to India.
    Carol

9. Irina says:

Healthy people do get sick, I agree, and hopefully, a strong immune system of a healthy person is better equipped to fight the bacteria, and other diseases. As far as research goes, and the whole strategy of following a chosen protocol unwaveringly – one has to keep in mind that things can change quickly when we are dealing with treating an illness, be it a natural or conventional way. There may come a moment, maybe a split second decision moment when one has to come of the high horse of following a chosen path and do something different-fast. I guess what I am trying to say is, it is way more complicated when we get into something more serious than curing a common cold. No matter how hard you try to research, clarify and plan ahead, the information you find will always be somewhat confusing and contradictory – it is part of the game; this is not a test, and there is no “correct” answer – you may get lucky from the first try, that’s all – at least that has been my experience, or else you’ll keep going on and on, sometimes in circles, for a very long time. As someone allergic to many antibiotics, I am wary of havoc and devastation they can cause in a very short time, with life-long consequences. I appreciate that modern medicine is there for us, but there is a very dark side to it, one that “successful” and “proven” protocols always forget to mention. I hope with all my heart that what you do works for you, Kevin, since you are young and healthy otherwise, but I would keep an eye out just in case it’s time to change the game plan. Also don’t probiotics interfere with the antibiotic by weakening it’s effect? And another question I keep wondering about – what would Mike Adams do in case of lyme?
    I admire your courage and honesty for putting your personal health story out there for all of us to comment on – thank you for what you are doing – by providing us with the forum to learn and discuss. Hope you feel better soon!

10. Meri says:

I think you’re point of view is pretty balanced Kevin and I’d agree that flexibility is important in any health approach. We can’t be too dogmatic. Everyone’s got to do what they feel is right.

I love the show and look forward to it every day. 🙂

11. Lisa says:

Kevin,
    The reason I watch you every day now is that you’ve earned my respect through your integrity. In my book, that’s rare and worth so much. You’re transparent, honest, straightforward, bold and just plain awesome. You didn’t have to come out and tell us what was going on. You chose to for many good reasons that we the pubic will benefit from more than you will. Considering the fact that you always encourage us to research and figure out what is best for us, I’m pretty shocked that there have been some that haven’t been as gracious towards you and had the nerve to tell you that what you were doing wasn’t right or that you were a fraud. It would be different if you tried to keep it hush-hush and pretend your life is perfect never getting ill. We may be trying to be heroes, but that doesn’t make us super-heroes who never get hurt or ill – What an unrealistic dream world. In reality back on planet earth, you’re the one who will have to live with long term conequences if you choose the wrong path. How can someone else tell you to take a chance like that? It’s your health, not theirs. You do what is right for you. I pray you’ll be well soon without long term issues later. All the best to you.

Lisa

12. Lauren says:

I think it’s important to keep in mind that just because pharmaceutical companies are money-hungry corporations, it doesn’t mean that they haven’t still come up with a few useful things from time to time.

13. Dorothy Mac says:

Your 3 items of explanation on your infection were awesome; and I for one appreciation your honesty to the public for something we can be a little overbearing at times.

As for me I am not confused about my health or healthy issues. I do lots of research and can give myself the right choices for any illness that can occur. I have an acute hayfever/rhinitis condition over the years and it was this year that I went to a homeopathic clinic to have a consultant; and what happened is AWESOME. It it as though I never had the horrible condition. Yes, Kevin I do believe that one has to be informed, be consistent, decide for oneself, test the ideas and give it time to work.

You are AWESOME and your research/info confirms what I have been doing for my health and wellbeing for many years.

14. Dorothy Mac says:

Happy 4th of July, as I am stuck across the Pond looking onto a canal with swimming swans and ducks and bike riders.

15. Linda Long says:

Hi Kevin,
    Thank you an excellent show. I am a retired RN and totally agree with everything you said. I do believe that being a team member for your own medical care is of the upmost importance. Also, if your health care provider does not seem like a “fit” move on to one who is.
    Thanx for your shows, balanced approach towards acute vs chronic illness, and the terrific kale salad show 🙂
    Linda

16. Bernadette says:

Hi Kevin,

You’re absolutely right.. with all the information out there, and conflicting information at that, it is really hard to determine what one’s best approach is when they become ill. Sometimes conventional medicine works and sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes natural medicine works and sometimes it doesn’t. Unfortunately, because conventional medicine has been the primary focus for so long, there is more research and education in this field than in natural medicine. We are living in a time of transition where natural medicine is only beginning to take the spotlight and so.. the general public has not been exposed to the research and education surrounding it as much as they have been to conventional medicine. Therefore, figuring out what approach to take is a guessing game at best until one can do the research for themselves.. and many herbs do not come without side effects. Herbs can be potent and hurt you just as much as drugs sometimes. I’ve experienced this on a number of occasions.

In your case, you had no time to waste. As so many of your posters who have had long-time lyme issues were kind enough to share with you, if you hadn’t take immediate action, the situation could have become very grave and disabilitating. You went with what you knew.. and you did the right thing for yourself. I am a true believer that conventional medicine has its place in society.. not to become dependent on, but sometimes we need a bandaid until our bodies can catch up with the burden that has been bestowed upon us. The reason we are told not to take antibiotics frequently is so that they will work at a time like this, when you really need them.

You’ve probably heard it many times before but maybe its worth mentioning again. ‘The only guarantee we have in life is that none of us will get out of it alive’. The best we can do is make the most of our days and hope to make them as pain-free as possible. I have heard of raw foodists who have had bypass surgery.. everyone has a different interpretation of what good health is and how to achieve it. We need to be responsible about what we choose for ourselves.. do the research, listen to as many different opinions as possible, work with a health care professional you trust.. and then decide for yourself what works for you and what doesn’t. We are all unique. And even for the people who are not interested in health care, they are choosing to enjoy their days how they see fit. We should concentrate on our own journeys and offer information freely to people who are interested in knowing what we think and do.

Kevin.. you do just that and most of your readers are here because they are interested in what you think and do. We are a community of like minded people and your website is a great site for learning and sharing ideas.. and you, are a great facilitator. Keep doing what you are doing.. you are helping a great number of people.

17. Bernadette says:

PS.. Happy July 4th!

18. Janet says:

You Rock Kevin!! I think what you said about this issue is right on… research, talk with someone, do what feels best to/for you…There is a time and place for western medicine, it is an individual choice, as is life.
    I am also sooo grateful you spoke about food combining!! You confirmed for me what I just needed to hear from someone I trusted in the field!! That truly brings me to me next big step in this transition is finding a “partner”-a medical consultant, an ND, I don’t know who, the right person to guide me thru all this. I know quite a bit of what to apply, but having the guidance of someone above you, and that back-up is really what I need. Next big project: a cumulative trusted source on raw food supportive health professionals across the states!!(I’ll help)
    Well, many happy roads to you and Annmarie, as always…keep up the good work!! God Bless!

19. andy says:

Hi Kevin

Chech with site http://www.lymedoctor.com/

I hope it helps

20. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Thanks Andy, I have a bunch of books coming to add to my library and that’s one of them!

Appreciate it!

Carol: I’d suggest a consultation with Dr. JE Williams. I’m going to have him on a call in the future so you’ll definitely want to tune in to that!

Thanks everyone else for your support! I feel great, so my immune system is kicking some borrelia tail. 🙂

21. Dorian Valles says:

I completely and totally agree with your approach Kevin. Thank you so much for your honesty, integrity and sensible advice that you have given to so many people. I also have a question regarding vaccines, specifically the tetanus vaccine and hepatitis that is recommended, (I’m also asking since my teenage sons are due for a hepatitis vaccine to be able to play sports at their high school). What do you think?

22. phil says:

You mention that this lyme disease is different than other disease in that it was “injected” into you. However most viral or bacterial infections are in a way artificially introduced into the body either via the lungs or mucosal surface. The immune system is their to fight these type of intruders. If you dont rely on conventional medicine to fight the flu or cold then why would you now turn to it for lyme.

23. Cheryl Holt says:

Hi Kevin, love the show!

I hope some of the comments that have been made have not hurt you.

Healthy people get sick all the time. People who eat raw vegan diets get sick and often the symptoms are masked because of their superior health, so by the time they go to the doctor they could be seriously ill. However, healthy people have a great advantage in that they are starting out with a vibrant immune system and things like fever and chills are the body’s natural defense mechanisms for fighting disease and illness.

It is my opinion that for any of us dealing with a health challenge, or any one who has health goal that they are trying to achieve, the best thing they can do is to educate. Educating ourselves about the particular challenge or goal and what is available to help us to overcome and/or achieve it. Then we need to decide what is best for us. Each of us is different so what is ok for one may not be an option for another and we need to respect that.

I think what you are doing is great and your out look positive which is fantastic.

The universe has a way of helping us out when we are really in tune and I must say as a raw foodist I was in for some natural cleaning in the way of detoxification therapy and the PhD I saw had some great info on Lyme and graciously gave me a paper to pass on to you. Victoria Bowmann (PhD in Homeopathy and Natural Medicine and has been in private practice since 1978) is the wonderful woman who provided me with this information.

Upon reading the paper I found out that there is a group nationally that works to help those that have been exposed to Lyme and other illnesses that can potentially become chronic. They produce a monthly newsletter with information on various forms of treatment and assistance available. I am sure there are probably many others but this information seems relevant and timely.

The web site: http://www.publichealthalert.org/index.htm

The paper is PUBLIC HEALTH ALERT & it is about investigating Lyme Disease & Chronic Illnesses in the USA. You can go online and look up various articles and issues. One of particular interest for you I feel is Cleansing Neurotoxin Overload, presented in the May 2008 issue by Victoria Bowmann PhD.

After reading this article, I decided I needed to get this information to you. Detoxification can be an important method to support the patient with Lyme disease during their healing crisis. Assuming the patient is being treated with an appropriate protocol; effective detoxification plays an extremely important role in eliminating the neurotoxins from the body.

When the bacteria that causes Lyme is killed, it produces its own neurotoxin in defense. This neurotoxin subsequently clogs the blood, lymph, liver, and colon, which slows down the detoxification pathways. As long as the patient is in treatment for Lyme, detoxification needs to be ongoing. I know you had asked for info and hope this may be of help to you. I also feel that you need to discuss this with your physician and see if an adjustment in your dosage of medication would be required if you decide to begin a detoxifcation.

I feel that it would be beneficial for you to start a detoxification and that is my opinion. By eliminating as many circulating neurotoxins from your body, you help to limit the exposure across the blood brain barrier. Definitely check out the article: Cleansing Neurotoxin Overload in the May 2008 edition of the above-mentioned paper.

With much respect,
    Cheryl Cilantro : )

24. qwan says:

Have you tried a homeopathy treatment.
    I am not sure about lymes disease. But homeopathy has some pretty good treatment for insects bites induced allergies and rashes.
    You should consult a good homeopathic though.
    Best of luck

25. P J says:

Have seen really good results for a young lady thatsuffered w/ lyme’s disease for 15 years. Received great results with magnetic/fairinfrared products.

P J

26. del says:

We were there. Awesome! I think it comes down to the basics – diet, exercise, attitude, environment, rest. I think alkalizing the blood and tissues by balancing the 5 aspects above is definitely the way to go. I like his emphasis on enzymes and probiotics and sprouted greens and algae. I’m going to explore these more and more. I think it’s a key component to total well being.

Thanks Kevin and thanks Glen.
    del

27. Hello Kevin,

Whoa, slow down just a bit. You’ve presented an excellent video w/great lip-synch, great pix, great voice! I’m envious…

Would’ve liked more ‘meat’ re: Lyme’s & how you handle it. I’m a 50-yr. grad naturopathic physician; I;m no know-it-all; but often I note that patients suffering long-term, degrading illnesses that are difficult to diagnose soon develop an unrecognized emotional ‘memory’ of their illness that is stored deeply in the brain and is responsible for that always-remaining ‘last’ bit of pain or ‘block’… the block that may lead them from health-provider to health-provider.

I’ve found a natural way to wipe away the brain-data that works. No drugs, no herbs, just naturopathic soft-tissue treatment that can be amazingly rapid in its results. Interested? Get back to me: drhow1@earthlink.net

28. Dominique says:

Hi Keven,

I came across your show when googling for info on Lymes as I have just been told I have it. I am a Canadian living in Holland, and in June I got a tick bite while camping in Slovenia! I never did get the bullseye rash but my lymph nodes swelled on my neck a few weeks later and I had fever. I never thought to mention the tick bite and my the doctor put me on antibiotics for 5 days.

After that time when the lymph nodes were still swollen I went back and this time pointed out i had bit my a tick and it could be lymes. the doctor suspected it was Mono and was tested for both things. The results show the Borrelia infection and I am now taking doxycyline for two weeks. (I noticed you said you were given it for 3 weeks.)

I appreciate you perspective of calling it an ‘acute infection’ as hearing the doctor saying ‘your disease’ really freaked me out. After researching Lymes I’m discouraged about how many grey areas there are. I’m not sure what to be thinking right now. Also online I’ve seen that doctors in Holland are not informed on the depth of Lymes and there are no specialists here. So I’m a little worried but I feel a bit better after watching your program.

Thanks a lot and also thanks for the free e-book!