Your Questions Answered on Cod Liver Oil, If Frozen Foods Are Considered Raw and More – The Renegade Health Show Episode #83

Thursday Jun 26 | BY |

I’m beginning to like these Tuesday and Thursday Q and A’s…

I get to answer a bunch of your questions in a short period of time and still give you some great info. (Otherwise I’d have to write paragraphs upon paragraphs on each one!)

If you do want more clarification on a certain issue, please just post and I’ll get to it!

Today I run over cod liver oil and long-chain omega-3’s, where to get good sprouts, if blending destroys nutrients, and if frozen foods are considered raw.

I also talk about the diabetes and the shocking news that 8% of the US population is now considered diabetic.

You have to watch this one…

Your question of the day: What do you think… are frozen foods considered raw?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

Kevin

PS. Be sure to take us up on the “Kaput Appliance” deal… you have until tomorrow @ midnight!!! See the bottom of the previous post for more info…

1. Annie says:

Haha I definitely consider frozen fruit raw. It’s probably not optimal, but it’s miles above cooked! Frozen veggies are, as you said, typically blanched before freezing, but I make an exception for them anyway because it makes life easier.

2. Joyce says:

Raw is the opposite of cooked…frozen isn’t cooked (unless it acquires freezer burn) 😉

Taking advantage of crop availability as well as sale prices on produce makes good sense. The only way to preserve them without cooking, is to freeze them.

I freeze berries and stone fruit (washed and cubed) on trays, when frozen, the individual berries or fruit pieces can be transferred to zip lock bags or other containers and are wonderful to pop in the daily green smoothie!

Considering the high cost of produce, this makes good economical sense. And who doesn’t like a frozen banana concoction? Isn’t that called ‘raw ice cream’?

3. Pat Lee says:

I think frozen berries are still considered raw, I really don’t think they blanch berries before freezing them. Vegetables on the other hand are blanched and I don’t consider them raw.

4. Jenn says:

I hadn’t really thought about it until now. Eating more whole foods than raw I guess I didn’t think that much in detail. I have more frozen veggies in my freezer than anywhere else 1/2 the year (during summer/fall here in New England get to eat fresh). Is it 100% raw, I don’t know either but I would think it is far better to pick and freeze your own than have to rely on what is in the stores during the ‘off’ seasons. I use more frozen fruit than I do veggies simply because they make better smoothies and frozen desserts in summer time.

By the way, I do like the Q&A sessions 🙂

5. Debbie Lee says:

I used to think fruits and veggies were dead when you freeze them but I have changed my mind. The reason is because when I freeze my seeds for storage and then take them out to plant they still will grow. A lady had told me her grandpa used to do that.

6. I think organic frozen fruit bought in the store are raw and a great option for smoothies.
    I don’t think frozen veggies are raw and are pretty discussing defrosted but I’m sure they are OK for my dog.

7. Bernadette says:

I’m with Jenn.. I eat more frozen fruit than I do frozen veggies because they make better smoothies and frozen desserts. I find frozen veggies too mushy and tasteless except for peas. I’ve never blanched the fruit I’ve frozen so I would consider it still pretty high in nutrients although, you’ve got me on whether I would consider it raw or not. I think as long as it still has life force energy, it would be considered raw, but I don’t know if it does. I would guess it does.

8. Danieal says:

I also think frozen fruit that does not contain any type of sugar or citric acid can be considered raw. I also keep my seeds and nuts in the freezer to keep that from going rancid.

9. Patricia says:

When it comes to preserving any food you have four choices; canning, drying, freezing or fermenting.

Canning – pretty much devitalizes foods, destroying all of the enzymes and much of the vitamins. Only the minerals have a chance of making it through if not thrown out with the juices.

Drying – if the temperatures are kept low enough, you can preserve the enzymes but there will be some nutrient losses due to oxidation and you forfeit all that wonderful pure water.

Freezing – maintains more of that precious water with minimal damage to enzymes and nutrients. It certainly is closer to fresh and raw than canning!

Fermenting – uses raw and remains raw as no damaging heat enters into the picture but there are many nutritional changes that take place between raw and fermented. Some of those changes are trade offs and some are enhancements in a different beneficial direction. Fermenting also has the advantage of not requiring a continual energy source to maintain like freezing.

Obviously fermenting is not for everyone or everything and you would use it relatively sparingly compared to what you need in the way of fruits and vegetables on a daily basis.

In the end I would say that frozen represents minimal changes, all things considered and I have decided not to beat myself up for freezing things on occasion. After all mother nature freezes things every winter so you might say “it’s natural”. Ha!

Fresh is always best.

10. Paul Komatinsky says:

Dear Kevin,

I really enjoy your emails and videos and have been watching for about 2 weeks. My question is: I would like to buy a food dehydrator, but it appears they come with Teflex screens. Given the concerns about Teflon emitting poisonous chemicals (PFOA’s?), do you think this is healthy? Thanks, Paul

11. Donna says:

I have used Mountain Rose Herbs for some sprouting seeds. They are most reputable and give more than adequate information on all seeds, etc…. Hope this helps.

12. Peggie says:

I freeze organic berries that I buy fresh. I also freeze organic bananas for smoothies. I have also dried organic strawberries.

Do you consider the Chi Machine as a workout product?

13. Alissa Benjamin says:

Hi Kevin,
    I used to eat frozen berry’s and spinach. I called this my emergency food…aka I just got back from vacation and have nothing left for fresh. I was thinking this is much better than eating out. However I was reading the Survival in the 21st Century – Viktoras Kulvinskas and he mentioned frozen foods – age your insides and organs. Since then I have cleaned out my freezed and only store ice and my e3live. Now I make sure regardless I have fresh incredients and joined a local CSA farm.

Alissa

14. Meri says:

I guess it depends on your definition of ‘raw’. Is there an official definition out there?

If raw means not cooked or processed in any way then maybe frozen foods don’t count because they have been through some type of ‘processing’ i.e. freezing, which has altered them in some way.

Perhaps we all have to individually decide where we will draw the line as to how far we will tolerate our food being altered from it’s natural state. Even the transportation of vegetables from where they were picked to where we purchase them causes the food to be altered (the vitamins degrade). But are we all able to grow our own food in our gardens if we even have a garden? (I don’t).

Maybe we just all do the best we can in our individual circumstances and make improvements where possible. In the case of frozen foods that would mean choosing a fresh variety when it’s available.

15. Lisa says:

Kevin,

I too have heard great things about cod liver oil. However, when I consulted my chiropractor on this he said that he would advise against it because the oil is obtained from the liver, a filter where the toxins are built up and concentrated and would definately not be healthful. Is there an alternative and why would it be done that way? Any suggestions?

16. Karen Jackson says:

I often put frozen berries, et al., in my smoothies and do consider them raw.

I have a question: If I eat raw carrots or oranges alone, as a snack, will they spike my blood sugar? Should I eat them with a meal instead?

Thanks for all your info – you’re the best!

17. Sonia says:

The issue is education. Food chains have the right to make their food as unhealthy as they want. People can say no. But the people should hsve all the nutrition facts and the possible effects of those ingredients in their bodies. Then people are more likely to buy less of that junk and the industry will bend to the demand. It’s ignorance that leads to this.

Telling the government to control what we eat is a movement towards socialism.

We need to educate our kids in school since the first day aabout what food is good, healthy, and great tasting. And the adverse effects of the bad stuff. I think a course on nutrition, inluding preparing healthy meals/snacks would be an ideal solution to training our kids to desire and eat healthy foods.

You would expect parents to do this job but parents now a days don’t have a clue either.
    Most kids’ first, and some, only vegetable is a french fry! If teachers would devote a tiny portion of the day to introduce children to a new vegetable or fruit, kids would be more motivated to ask for it at home. Maybe one veg and fruit per week, so they can learn to eat it different ways. It’s a better alternative to giving candy for good behavior!

Some people may think that it’s not a teacher’s job, but if not them, then who? Parents are too busy and tired trying to pay bills to take action. We all need to ban together as a community and learn together and then the industry will shift accordingly.
    I am fed up with people pointing fingers at everyone else. People sell what works. People buy what they know. Many issues that we face almost always comedown to an ignorant population.
    And if people choose unhealthy products knowingly, then it’s their right. I don’t want my right to choose infringed upon in any way.

18. Dede says:

Mm – to make unhealthier food as much of a crime as smoking…give that some thought….they could levy large taxes on fast food…all fatty and fast foods must be consumed further than 20 ft from any entry to a public building…create intense ad campaigns depicting a sloppy, dirty guy with sauce on his face…all packaging of unhealthy food must have warnings listed on the side that say they cause death…only allow whole foods to be eating in restuarants – unless you sit in the dark, dirty, windowless back corner of the restaurant
    (and in most states – you’ll have to make it to-go)
    …..Kevin – ya just might have something there!!

19. Dede says:

oh – -and no 🙂 – – I wasn’t being sarcastic in the post above 🙂 – hugs, Dede

20. Bernadette says:

I was surprised it was only 8% of the population who had diabetes. I thought it was a lot higher. I suppose if they added in everyone with pre-diabetes, it would be.

21. Dawn B says:

Krill oil makes me sad 🙁

22. Great show! I appreciate the info about frozen foods. I would consider them raw AND unprocessed…unless they have been blanched, which would be a small amount of processing. But just freezing isn’t processing as freezing is a natural occurance. I consider processing to be the unnatural things food companies do to our food.

23. M says:

It is actually estimated that 1 out of 3 people are undiagnosed diabetic and pre-diabetic.

24. Avis Simpkins says:

Yes, I consider some frozen foods raw. I have another question. What is your opinion on organic dried fruits & veggies. I get them from http://www.justtomatoes.com Please check out their site and tell me if these are ok. Thanks.

25. Avis Simpkins says:

Goddess of the Garden wrote: “I skip frozen veggies though. In fact I am not big on veggies at all. I like fuits and greens primarily and greens are not veggies.”

Are the greens referred to here greens such as Vitamineral Green Powder? If so can I safely skip most other veggies? I ask because I am elderly, can’t do much shopping, and don’t have much appetite.
    I would continue eating fruit, nuts, some whole grain, low mercury tuna/salmon….. I take a number of supplements, also. If you could e-mail advice on this to me, I will appreciate it. I’m new to this site, but have been using NaturalNews recommendations for sometime. Thanks for your help!

26. Gotoresonance says:

No, frozen food is not healthy to eat, defrosted is much better but not as much as fresh, of course;-). Eating cold food disturbs and can even kill relevant micro-organismes living in our digestif track.
    To freez the excess of my fruits production giv’s me independence and helps me to economize money. I think that all the nutriments are preserved.