Meatless Raw Meatballs for Die-Hard Raw Food Italians – The Renegade Health Show Episode #82

Wednesday Jun 25 | BY |

Annmarie and I both were raised in Italian families…

Hers is a bit more than mine, but we still ate a ton of pasta and a good deal of meatballs when we were growing up. ๐Ÿ™‚

When we visit her family over weekends or on holidays, there are always–of course–pasta and meatballs… and they smell amazing!

So one car ride back from New Jersey we decided that we’d find a meatless and raw alternative so we could feel like we fit in a little more! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Annmarie did put together a meatfree, raw meatball recipe (with a little help from GoneRaw) and it’s awesome! So here’s how to make ’em…

Your question of the day: Did you really think that I let Annmarie clean up the water heater mess while I sat around and did something else?!?!

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and add your comment!

Meatless Raw Meatballs Recipe

– 1 cup of soaked walnuts
– 1.5 cups coarsely chopped cremini mushrooms or portabellas marinated at least 1 hour with a little nama shoyu, olive oil and 2 cloves of garlic
– 2 more cloves garlic
– thyme, oregano, parsley to taste
– sea salt and crushed red pepper to taste
– Olive Oil – only for consistency

In a food processor, blend together all. Then with your hands roll out 1 inch balls place on dehydrator tray and dehydrate for 4-6 hours at 115.

Mangia!

Kevin

PS. Keep in mind, we’re still running the “Kaput Appliance” Special Deal! So if you purchase a product from us up until Friday 12:00 AM EST, we’ll give you a free copy of our book (or something comparable, if the book is a bonus!). If the product is a hardcopy, you get a hardcopy version of “The Busy Person’s Fitness Solution” book! If the product is digital, you get a digital copy!

Here are the products we have that you can choose from:

Renegade Water Secrets (NEW)

Kevin Gianni’s 7 Steps to Optimal Health

The Raw Summit

The Healthiest Year of Your Life Program

The Fountain of Youth World Summit

The Renegade Health Inner Circle

Go ahead and take action now! We’ll send you an email confirming your order and instructions within 24 hours!

Kevin Gianni is a health author, activist and blogger. He started seriously researching personal and preventative natural health therapies in 2002 when he was struck with the reality that cancer ran deep in his family and if he didnโ€™t change the way he was living โ€” he might go down that same path. Since then, heโ€™s written and edited 6 books on the subject of natural health, diet and fitness. During this time, heโ€™s constantly been humbled by what experts claim they know and what actually is true. This has led him to experiment with many diets and protocols โ€” including vegan, raw food, fasting, medical treatments and more โ€” to find out what is myth and what really works in the real world.

Kevin has also traveled around the world searching for the best protocols, foods, medicines and clinics around and bringing them to the readers of his blog RenegadeHealth.com โ€” which is one of the most widely read natural health blogs in the world with hundreds of thousands of visitors a month from over 150 countries around the world.

1. wendy green says:

yes…i did! HA HA!

great show…can’t wait to make these meatballs.

thanks. by the way, you guys are soooooo cute together!

wendy in honduras!
    ps..check out my FB page…new fotos went up today of casa verde! when are you coming? come as my guests!

2. Dorian Valles says:

Kevin, you are funny! At first I kind of thought, “WHAT?”!!! but then I thought no way, Kevin was defintiely helping poor Annmarie with the water disaster…right? Loved the meatball segment…more, more, more food recipes please! i like the fact that the recipes you present don’t involve a lot of ingredients. Great job!

3. Jennie says:

Would Ann Marie actually do that? do all the work while you watched? I don’t think so! And I don’t think you would be that type either. Did give me a giggle though. LOL… Jennie xoxoxo

4. sarah says:

i liked seeing how you use your particular kitchen. it’s the logistics of raw food fixin’ in one’s particular kitchen space. & seeing the basic raw equipent, too. (somehow fitting in there and doable – haha – my kitchen is small too… it’s always – ‘where are we going to put this?’) – so, THANKYOU.

5. Rita says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie,

I was a little surprised when I read your comment, but then I was hopeing it was a typo, because you don’t seem the type to me to let your wife clean up a mess like that by herself….lol….

6. cindy says:

Great cooking video and recipe Kevin and Annmarie!! Looking forward to trying it. You look beautiful as always Annmarie(especially with your hair down). Thanks for taking the time to create these wonderful informative videos for us. I didn’t think you would let Annmarie do all the work of cleaning up the water. You two are a team.

7. Rev Bob says:

I DID!!! And i thought that was not very nice for Annmarie. I’m glad you cleared that up …

8. Bridgette says:

Hey Kevin,
    Funny what we comment on eh?? I have been watching ur shows for a while now and I just love them and love you and Annmarie for what you are doing for all of us want-a-be raw foodies…. :)…..When I read the typo (still not sure it was a typo..ha!!) I thought you were doing your thing and leaving the clean-up job for Annmarie…..not necessarily that you were sitting watching her do the work but maybe that that kind of work was not for you or maybe you had more important things to do?????? Anyway I was pleasantly pleased to hear that you and Annmarie did the job together…..and that you do help out with the house chores…….Good for you and Good for Annmarie ……….smooches to you both!

9. Kalavati says:

Hey, Good video on Italian neatballs. I’ll try it.
    I did think Annemarie did the clean up because you said she did. I thought it strange, but assumed you had something very important to do elsewhere…
    Om,
    Kalavati

10. Lindy says:

Kevin, your typo was fodder for tabloid headlines. Glad to hear cleanup was a team effort.

11. Annie says:

Of course I didn’t think so!
    Gosh, those meatballs look sooo good. You can actually eat spaghetti squash raw. Just cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and goop, and pull out the tendrils with a fork. They’re in there, though not as visible as they would be with a cooked squash.

12. lisa says:

those look amazing!! thanks for mentioning other ways to eat them for people not 100% raw. also with the amount of energy you have in every show, i can’t emagine you sitting around watching ann marie. im hoping by making these and eating them i will have that energy too! thanks kevin and ann marie
    lisa

13. Janice says:

I am sicilian, you gotta know we had pasta every Sunday with the family! Those are great memories of a time gone by, but my love for our ethnic foods will always remain. So happy to have this recipe, can’t wait to try it out. Thank-you.
    It never dawned on me that you would stand by and have Ann Marie do all the work, really it’s obvious that you are a got getter kinda guy who is considerate of his mate.
    Now………….how about an eggplant recipe???

14. Tammy says:

You two seem like a very happy pair. You probably always do everything together and I am sure you guys cleaned up the disaster together. Of course…..we’ll never know what REALLY happened! LOL.
    Keep up the great work and I love your cooking segments!

15. Lisa says:

I didn’t read the emails before your correction but wouldn’t think you’d sit there and watch Ann Marie clean. If I had, I would have thought you weren’t home for some reason. You two are too loving together to think you’d do that to her.
    The meatballs look awesome. I can’t wait to try them. Now I need the mother of all raw pasta sauce recipes. I’ve tried about 5 different ones and am so unsatified. The raw spaghetti squash is my favorite raw pasta so far though. I may try your recipe with just the porto-bella mushrooms without the nuts. After doing extended fasts, I find myself where Matt Monarach said I’d be, intolerant of too much fat. I need more satiating recipes without nuts, seeds, coconut or high fat concentration. Thank you so much for your videos. I especially appreciate the cooking ones. I’m the only one raw in my house – your cooking shows make me feel less alone in this! I also love that you work together on them. We love you, Kevin – your enthusiasm and positive encouragemnt is so awesome, but you two are really fun to watch together too.

16. Terry says:

I wasn’t sure but couldn’t understand why you would say Ann Marie cleaned instead of “we” cleaned. Glad to hear you did it too. You’ve renewed my faith in you!!!

Kevin Which Vitamin C supplement do you recommend and how much daily?

Love your shows

17. ida margrethe says:

oh! yummy! not a meat-ball girl, but since these are raw and looked amazing and i can almost smell the herbs, ill defently make them at some stage.
    meatballs are really common in my home country too (norway) and my mum made alot of them when i was growing up, and my brother also ate the ‘meat dough’, he loved it (he would still uptill this day if he didnt turn vegan also), even though there were raw onion, eggs and garlic in it, he just ate the raw meat. eww..never into that.

thanks guys!
    AND! NO, i didnt almost even a little bit think u let Annmarie do all the work, u guys are a team, always.
    Have a great day!

18. Denise says:

I just figured you (with Anne-Marie’s agreement and understanding…) had to be elsewhere, ie out buying the necessary to replace the water-heater. Team work has different faces!

19. Polly says:

Well, I 1. thought Kevin wouldn’t say it if it weren’t so and 2. decided that just because he’s “raw” doesn’t make him a non-chauvenist. So I was thrilled to hear I was wrong…hey Kevin, I signed up for the Inner Circle…does that make me eligible for the free book? I mean, the early bird should get the worm, doncha’ think?
    Polly
    Marblehead, MA

20. I came across your site a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I am a nutritional consultant in Florida. You are truly an energetic inspiration, my kind of people. If people would only realize how much happier and healthier they could be if they changed their diet and lifestyle. Our world needs a change from the zombies who take prescription drugs. Wake up America! Stop taking drugs that only hide the symptoms of your ‘conditions’ . Start eating right and get moving!
    I especially loved the ‘cucumber soup’ recipe by Frank. I have a small problem though. I CAN’T STOP EATING IT! It is sooooo addicting. Love it! Keep up the good work.
    Annie in Florida.

21. jeanette mendoza says:

Thank you so much for the meatball dish. I am going to a raw potluck this coming Tuesday and will bring this dish. It would be hard for me to believe you left the clean up work for Ann Marie. From what I’ve seen of the interaction between the two of you it would be inconsistent with who you are. Thank you for giving so freely.

22. Joey says:

Hi Kevin: I knew that you, being the energetic guy that you are wouldn’t miss out on the wonderful exercise “cleaning” offer. Being that I am a domestic engineer, I know of what I speak. I live in the high desert of the south west and I call it the land of dust and sand and cleaning is no stranger to me, neither is the good work out it provides. Love you guys, and that pix of the two of you at the top of your page is really cute…who did the art..I am asking because I too am an artist…take care and live well
    Joey Z.

23. Donna says:

Actually, I figured Ann Marie chased you out of her way for whatever reason and you were out purchasing a new one.

PLEASE tell me you DID NOT diss Ann Marie’s mother by not eating her meatballs!!! Nothing hurts a mother more than not liking what she cooks!

As far as Ann Marie’s recipe – I would love to try it but don’t have a dehydrator. Can you recommend an alternate way to prepare them?

Thanks

24. Carolyn says:

Well, I was wondering!!! I’m happy to hear it wasn’t true..
    Great recipe, being part Italian/Sicilian myself I love it and will share!!

25. Tom says:

Hey Kevin,

This is the first time I watched a video on your website – great info. I want to make a big change in my eating habits (food lifestyle). I have very limited knowledge about eating a raw foods diet. Could you point me in the right direction to start learning about raw foods?

Thanks,
    Tom

26. Bernadette says:

Hey there Kevin,

Don’t worry.. when I read Annmarie had done all the clean-up, I thought you must have been taking over at your fitness center or something. You don’t strike me as the male chauvinistic type.. although since you are in your second year of marriage now, which we are too, my husband would have offered to do it all himself. ๐Ÿ™‚ Not that I would have let him.. simply because of the logistics of it.. 2 people times 4-5 hours equals 1 person times 8-10 hours. That means less time together. ๐Ÿ™‚

Also, being Italian myself and at my dad’s for dinner every other Sunday, I have missed the meatballs and am grateful for the awesome recipe. I will definitely give it a try.

I tried raw ice cream for the first time last night, made from frozen bananas and strawberries. It was great. Maybe you could show us a segment on frozen desserts or making ice cream, sometime. There are so many ways it can be prepared.. and no dairy!! It tasted amazingly like the ice cream I was so used to eating, growing up as a child.

Take care,
    Bernadette

27. Leonardo says:

Hello Annmarie and Kevin! Is that a MICROWAVE? I cannot believe it. Tell me it isn’t, that that’s just some American gadget I don’t know about.

28. Leonardo says:

About the smell of meat
    I get to smell it everyday here at home and can’t say the faint scent of cooked chicken or beef is bad to me… It’s enough to just smell it! And that’s because I really did not have a hard time giving up up meat. For me it was snap, meat no more.

29. Leonardo says:

Sorry for flooding up your blog! But, is that the dehydrator you were talking about? I’ve never even seen one for sale here!

30. Alissa Benjamin says:

I am allergic to mushrooms are there any substitutes for that ingredient?

31. Rod says:

I knew that it wasn’t that way you can tell by watching your healthy cooking and eating videos that you two are an awesome team.

I always get a boost of enthusiasm a positive shift in attitude and motivated watching what you guys have to share. You guys are infectious so keep it up your doing great.

The Meatless Raw Meatballs is an awesome dish… Nice very Nice!

Make It A great Day!

32. Kalavati says:

I made your neat balls last night and put them in the fridge. dehydrated then this am for my kayaking trip this long w/e. They are soooo awesome. I used only fresh from my garden herbs. I’ll make a tomato, sun dried tomato and garlic herb sauce for with them and veg, noodles…
    My carnivore girlfriends will be drooling….
    Thanks bunches, :))
    Kalavati,
    from Vancouver Island

33. Meri says:

Awww, Kevin…I never for one second believed that you’d have made Annmarie deal with that disaster all alone, I just figured you weren’t there at the time.

You have now mentioned this loads of times so it seems like you are really bothered by the idea that we might think you’re a horrible chauvanist. Honestly, anyone who’s been watching the show has seen enough to know that you could never be the sort of chauvanist pig that would make his lovely wife clear up all that water while he relaxed in his armchair! We all know you’re a decent guy Kevin, don’t worry! ๐Ÿ™‚

Another great show guys. I have disturbing memories of school dinner’s meatballs though so I doubt I will be making this recipe!! I can’t believe I ever ate school dinners as a kid. Oh, the trauma. And I actually asked my mum to let me have them just because my friends all did. Clearly the school caterers never heard of balanced (or even appetising) meals!! The thought of it is enough to make me want to go on a month long detox right away!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

34. Jenny says:

Well, Kevin, you did say on this video that you sat around eating for another 15 minutes or so while others were washing the dishes (^_^). Just kidding!! I would never have thought you would have left such a huge mess for your dear wife to clean up by herself!!

Jenny

35. Dawn B says:

LOL, I didn’t really think you had Annmarie clean up the water by herself.

36. Annmarie says:

Hello Everyone!!

Kevin never mentioned why the mess was so big in the first place ๐Ÿ™‚ He had a little bit of a problem trying to drain the tank ๐Ÿ™‚ Nothing the two of us could not handle!!

I wanted to get to some of your comments and questions…
    Wendy -thanks for the FB wall post also and yes we would love to come. I’ll be in touch!! Thank you so much for the invite the retreat looks amazing ๐Ÿ™‚

Annie -thanks for the spaghetti squash tip, I have tried that before but I don’t think I had the patients to scrap it out. I will try it again.

Lisa I also have not succeeded at making a raw tomato sauce. I have to say that I make a killer cooked sauce or “gravy” as my family calls it and I really don’t want to give that up!! I do have a client that does and I will get her recipe and put it on the show. She said the tomatoes have to be just right!

Also:
    Kalavati if you doen’t mind sharing your recipe!

Terry I’ll have Kevin let you know on a show because I think it is a great question and everybody should hear it!

Polly of course we will send you digital copy of it!! Thanks for signing up and let us know what you think. Also take advantage of the free “Make Over” if you like. You can read more about it on http://www.renegaderoundtable.com

Joey our friend Matt B. he use to draw for Jim Henson ๐Ÿ™‚ He is fabulous!

Donna you can always slow cook them in your oven if you like. Or you can eat them raw raw ๐Ÿ™‚ they will just be a little mushy.

Tom keep watching!! Also check out http://www.RawSummit.com

Bernadette thanks for all your great post! And Yes Raw “Ice Cream” is coming!!

Alissa you can try eggplant, I am just not a fan of raw eggplant.

Thanks for watching!!
    Much Love,
    Annmarie

37. Judi says:

Kevin, yes, I just thought you were one of those old-fashioned meat-heads from the 70’s!!!
    No, seriously… I never even noticed.
    I look forward to making the meat-a-balls.
    Judi

38. linda says:

yes it crossed my mind she did it alone snd my hair stood up on the back of my neck:)
    but in the back of my mind i thought you had made a mistake!!!!!! whew, glad you cleared that up:)

39. Bernadette says:

Thank you Annmarie.

40. Shipibo Boy says:

Hi Annmarie & Kevin,

Leonardo reported a possible MICROWAVE sighting in and around your abod. Before i alert the MICROWAVE POLICE, Kevin, you need to come clean….. was that a MW, our maybe, it was just a beem-up-scotty toy box??
    Seriously, is there a useful purpose for this second floor dweller over my gas ranger?

41. Kirsten says:

Great recipe I can’t wait to try it! I reorganized my small kitchen this morning so that the dehydrator is easier to get at.

GARLIC!!! I can’t use it! It sends my hubby straight to the throne. He loves it but it doesn’t love him. What else could I use to give it some flavour? I’m not very good in the kitchen so I hesitate to just experiment as that usually never goes well. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Keep up the good work!
    Kirsten

PS: I figured it must have been a typo, either that or you were stuck in a commitment and couldn’t help. Some things won’t wait!

42. Ramona says:

Hi Kevin & Annmarie:

Yes, I thought you did make Annmarie do all the work – but then I thought Hey, she’s a strong, forceful gal and I doubt she would have let Kevin get away with that, even if he wanted to.
    Love your videos, keep sending them.

43. Traci says:

I read the typo and thought, “I can’t believe he let his wife toil for 4 hours cleaning up that mess.” But I didn’t think it sounded like something you’d do, so I reasoned that you must have had to leave to go to another emergency. I’m glad to know that it was a typo, and you’re a more helpful guy than that. Besides Annmarie doesn’t seem like the type to let you get away with something like that. ๐Ÿ™‚

44. Rhonda says:

Let me start by saying these are amazing!!! My kids were eating these out of the dehydrator long before they were done.I tweaked them slightly to better accomodate my diet and they still came out great. I used all the same ingredients but with one slight method change.I added the shoyu,garlic,olive oil into the mushrooms in a bowl, covered with plastic wrap and put the bowl in the dehydrator for 2 hours.It made the mushrooms release all their juice into the marinade and I used that as my liquid instead of additional olive oil to get the mixture moving in the food processor.So if anyone is looking to leave out any additional oil..just know it can be done successfully with this recipe.You guys rock…keep up all your great work and thanks for all you do!!1

45. Elizabeth says:

We made these last night to add to our already delicious raw spaghetti & it made the dish over the top scrumptious!!!!!!!! Thank you! This meatball recipe is a keeper! Cheers!

46. Tracey says:

Okay guys ๐Ÿ™‚

I just found your blog and this recipe and my comment is not meant to insult, but to inquire as to where I could have gone wrong in making these things because my experience was not nearly like anyone everyone else’s who have posted here (or maybe I did nothing wrong and I just don’t care for them?)

I did everything to the letter and waited with baited breath for them to be pulled from the dehydrator. I took one bite and almost puked ๐Ÿ™
    Seriously, they did make me gag and they were immediately thrown down the disposal ๐Ÿ™

So my questions are this: What kind of variables go into making dehydrated creations taste “amazing” or gross? This was my first attempt at a dehydrated recipe so maybe I did something along the way to ruin them? I dehydrated for 4 hours, not six; 115 degrees per recipe; added no extra oil as they stuck together very well without it.

like I said at the beginning, this is not meant to insult; merely to inquire. I love your blog and will be back often as I try to incorporate more raw stuff into my diet. BTW, I have been vegan for over a year, so it’s not like I was expecting these things to taste anything like meat…but I was quite taken aback by my dislike of them and look forward to anyone’s creative feedback ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers to all!

47. ange says:

Why do the meatballs need to be dehydrated? I’ve never heard of this before, but I am new to the raw world.