What to Do with Chia Seeds, Probiotics Info and More on Raw Cacao – The Renegade Health Show Episode #81

Tuesday Jun 24 | BY |

In this episode, I answer a bunch of your questions from the past episodes…

When you watch the show today, you’ll find out what you can do with chia seeds and their health benefits, what probiotics are good to use, how you can check your own alkaline levels, how much cacao–I think–you should be eating, and how to keep your vegetables fresh.

You’ll notice that I’m by another appliance, so go ahead and find out why…

Your question of the day: What are some chia seed recipes that you know of or have used?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and add your comment!

Show Resources:

Click here for Jon Barron’s Baseline Nutritionals

Click here for Ruth’s Hemp Foods

Geneva Diagnostics (Formerly Great Smokey Labs)

Also… The Renegade Health Show Kaput Appliance Sale

Instructions… if you purchase anything from the site this week (until Friday @ midnight) we’ll send you a free gift. If you purchase a digital product, we’ll include a free copy of our digital Busy Person’s Fitness Solution. If you purchase a hardcopy program, we’ll send you a hardcopy version of the book!

Here are some of the products we have available for you to browse:

Renegade Water Secrets (NEW)

Kevin Gianni’s 7 Steps to Optimal Health

The Raw Summit

The Healthiest Year of Your Life Program

The Fountain of Youth World Summit

The Renegade Health Inner Circle

(If the program already comes with a digital download of the book, we’ll get you another digital program in exchange!!!)

Once you purchase, we’ll contact you in 24 hours to inform you where you can get your download links (if it’s digital!)

Kevin

1. Yariv says:

Hi Kevin,

Love your show. You guys make the cutest couple.

In your latest show, you said that you should soak chia seeds. Why? I thought that there would be no need because the seeds would “soak” in your stomach anyway.

Thanks again, always look forward to your show and I’ve learnt a lot.

Yariv

2. Jennie says:

Chia seeds are awesome in puddings too. Try soaking 3 tablespoons in water and lemon juice. Blend with three apples and then add some greens. I also like to add a whole raw organic vanilla bean to this. Pour into a bowl then top with your favourite berries or chopped banana. Yummm.

Also chia soaked in orange juice then blended with baby spinach is delish!

Soak chia seed in young coconut water, blend with some raw cacao powder and a vanilla bean. Kwor! So yummery.

Soak chia in just enough water to make it gloopy, add some salt, pepper, herbs if you wish and spread on a teflex sheet and dehydrate into cookies.

There you go!

xoxoxxo

3. Jennie says:

Oh and I forgot, that orange, chia recipe I posted is great with a little mint or lemon balm too.

xoxox

4. Jim Labadie says:

“There was water everywhere and it took Annmarie 3-4 hours to clean up the mess and sweep the water out of the room.”

Am I reading this right? Your wife cleaned up the whole mess? 😉

5. Hi,

I’ve been using chia seeds for around a 1.5 months now and believe they haved help things stay very regular in addition to adding some significant nutrients to the raw portion of my eating lifestyle. I also suspect the chia seed works better for me as a fibre supplement than I’ve experienced in the past with the ground flax seed.

The way I discovered chia seed was to try out a product called Salba.

In the morning I blend around 1 tablespoon in my smoothy. Usually I start with some soaked nuts (usually walnuts and pumpkin seeds) and blend that into a paste by adding water gradually. Then I add the chia seed (black or white…whichever I have) and add water very gradually until I end up with a nice creamy paste. At that point I add a some of my favourite supplements like chlorella and maca. After that I add banana, dates and berries (usually organic frozen blue berries) ummmm…great way to keep from feeling hungry in the morning.

The only other thing I’ve been doing with chia seed is to sprinkle it in my raw salads (usually about 1 tablespoon). I recently started mixing the chia seed into the blended portion of my salad…I blend a portion (actually I really mean mechanically masticate) of my salads using a champion juicer with the blank. I find masticating stuff in this way allows me to eat raw foods I wouldn’t normally want to eat raw like brocoli, sweet potatoes, rudabagas, and a variety of greens such as kale, spinach etc… This also allows me to eat more of this kind of food raw than I would otherwise be able or motivated to. I also read recently that pre-masticating in this way makes more of the nutrients available by breaking open more of the cells etc. (i.e. especially if you’ve a tendancy to be lazy in your chewing).

Charles

6. Jacqueline Michaud says:

Hi Kevin!

Do you know if those green bags to keep the freshness of veggies and fruits are toxic? I use them and they are super effective!

Jacqueline

7. Danieal says:

Thanks for the Chia recipes! FYI that my name is pronouced “Danielle” not Daniel its just spelled different.

8. Katy Brezger says:

I sprinkle two tbs on my eggs each morning, I like thyem on eggs because they soak up the egg white[albumen] and I can eat the eggs slightly raw, I don’t eat too much chia because it bulks up a bit too much in my gut, I check my alkalinity leves all the time and try gto eat raw as much as possible. I also use three tbs of flax powder in my veggie juice [fresh] each day. The juice helps keep my blood sugar down, I have more energy, I try to get more exercise, I’m really making heavy strides in my health, I’m 60 overweight [but working on it] female, and diabetic [working on that too, my doc says it won’t do me any good], Ha, hide and watch my dust!

I have a great home [organic] veggie garden going now, a dehydrator and plan to eat my stuff instead of grocery store garbage.

9. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

TYPO ALERT!!!!

I did not let just Annmarie clean up the mess!!!! We did it together! 🙂

Annmarie noticed that the email said “It took Annmarie 3-4 hours to clean up the mess” after I sent it out! I hope no one thinks I a chauvinist! 😉

10. Margit says:

that comment about Annmarie cleaning up the mess took me by suprise too.i am glad you straightened that out.I know from experience what a mess that is.

11. Donna says:

I recommend two new appliances. First, a shop-vac. Buy one! It will come in handy more times than you realize (it would have helped clean up the water)!

Second, a tankless hot water heater. You will save money on propane or whatever you use, and you will get a tax credit to offset the cost (ours was $300).

12. Meri says:

Oh man, I seriously don’t know if I’d still be smiling if my water heater had leaked everywhere like that.

Just the other day my vacuum hose split apart and I was so frustrated, cursing the manufacturers etc. Then I watched a YouTube video from an email I had that day which was talking about how huge the universe really is – how many galaxies and stars and stuff there are. Suddenly I felt like an insignificant speck in a universe this big and it struck me how silly it was to get so worked up over a trivial thing like the vacuum breaking.

So the moral of the story is: next time your appliances go kaput on you, try to remember there are much more important things in the universe to stress over.

Bet you and Annmarie would have found that thought really comforting while you were wading through all that water Kevin!! 😉

13. Janice says:

Hi Kevin,
    I make a chia gel and add it to salad dressings, smoothies,soups, dips etc.
    Soak 1/3 cup seeds in a 3 cups of water for 12 hours in the refrigerator. Having it on hand makes it easy to incorporate in many meals. Adds a slightly nutty flavor and is good for you too!!

14. rawvegan321 says:

I soak them in a small portion of a rich vanilla nut mylk, and add agave, berries and cinnamon. Like a fruity tapioca. By rich, I mean maybe a 2.5 to 1 ratio of water to nuts, add a tiny pinch of sea salt and a vanilla bean for the mylk.

15. Paul says:

Any thoughts about whether you need to take the probiotic supplement on an empty stomach, or if with food is okay? I’ve read mixed opinions.

16. Melinda says:

I’ve just recently added Chia seeds to my raw diet and find they are a great source of fibre and give me lots of sustained energy. I cannot eat them after 7pm as I find they keep me too energized to sleep if I do so.

Some of the best recipes I have tried are from http://www.goneraw.com. Just type chia seeds into the search engine on the site and there are a number of different recipes to try.

My favourite at the moment is the Chia Warming Pudding. Even with the hot weather it seems I am able to stand the heat better when I eat warming foods. The fun thing to do is experiment with different combinations.

In chia goodness!