Is Raw Milk Good for You – The Renegade Health Show Episode #73

Thursday Jun 12 | BY |

A lot of people want to know if raw milk or dairy is good for them…

I have my own opinions which I’ll explain in today’s show, but that doesn’t mean it’s right or it’s wrong (your health is ultimately up to you!)

Recently, it looks like the FDA is moving toward making raw milk and dairy something of the past due to over 1000 reported cases of E-Coli infection from raw dairy over the span of 7 years from 1998-2005.

Check it out…

Your question of the day: What do you think about raw milk and dairy?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page to share your thoughts!

Kevin

PS. If you don’t want to drink raw milk, drink clean, pure water! Click here to find out how you can get the best possible water for you and your family.

1. ida margrethe says:

thanks kevin, i wish more people would realise that hey, dairy isnt that good for me. I mean, the mothers milk of another mammal clearly isnt meant for human consumption.
    Ive read that Norway is one of the countries in the world that has the highest rate of osteoporosis, and also one of the biggest consumers of milk. Lots of people just dont see the correlations here i think.

I’m againt milk drinking. I love cows, theyre beautifull and not ours to take advantage of.

2. Irma Nance says:

WE ARE NOT COWS. Milk is made for cows. I don’t do dairy any more. Have you ever even smelled milk? It really stinks. ugh!

3. Jeannine says:

Dairy is really hard on the body, regardless of your race. In all forms, it is difficult to digest. In addition, it’s hard on the planet to maintain all those cows for dairy production, not to mention how, generally speaking, they are diabolically treated.

4. Janice says:

I personally would not drink milk as a child and who knew? I must have had an instinct there, as any dairy, including cheese, makes me ill.
    I did however become hospitalized quite a few years ago with salmenila and almost didn’t make it through, I would avoid having this experience at any cost! So, if there is a risk of anyone contracting this bacteria it is insane to take the risk.
    Nice seeing you outside by the way, looks like the weather there today was great.

5. Carlie M. says:

Irma’s comment made me laugh (so do you, Kevin). 15 years or so ago I started having problems with milk. I found out I was lactose intolerant. I went to my local herb store, and asked what I could take. The owner yelled from behind the counter: “Your body is telling you you’re not a calf-why drink cow’s milk?” I miss it – since going raw, I found I can digest raw cheese tho !! (Thank god!!!)

6. GISELLE says:

is organic milk better than milk?

7. Mary says:

I agree with Irma. Cheese stinks too!

8. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Janice, I know how you feel, I had a bacterial infection in Mexico about 5 years ago that was brutal. I had a 104-105 fever and awful pains, etc. It’s one of the many reasons I stay clear of animal products.

The three days that I ate yogurt was actually recently. I wanted to test out my machinery and see if I still was lactose intolerant. It was not fun. 😉

I’ll do experiments from time to time to see how my body reacts. It keeps me alive and aware of what I can and cannot eat. It’s a healthy practice. 🙂

Ida, you’re correct about the Norwegians, and Irma, I do agree that milk smells off.

Giselle, absolutely! Organic milk cannot contain many of the nasty growth hormones and antibiotics that are administered to non-organic cows.

Just to further this post and discussion…

When I was writing the script (which as many of you know is always rather loose!) I wanted to find some statistics that I could compare the 1000 sickened to. So I looked into Aspirin poisoning. There are over 16,000 incidents (even more unreported) of this a YEAR. So it pales in comparison to raw milk sickness in terms of numbers… BUT… then I realized that there are likely millions more who take aspirin on a daily or weekly basis and not as many people who drink raw milk. So I let it go. Same with pharmaceuticals… there are likely many more users, so I can’t conclude that the FDA should be looking somewhere else, UNLESS anyone can find ratios to compare apples with apples.

E-Coli, salmonella or clostridium are all extremely potent and dangerous, so we’ll have to see what happens.

I think the consumer should have their say, but I also think the consumer should be smart to know that raw milk bought from a store could be a potential “time bomb”

9. Lynn says:

I have greatly cut back on my dairy. I do make a shake with frozen raspberries, E3Live, bee pollen, hemp seeds and chia seeds, and a bit of raw honey and raw coconut oil. The base is a kefir I make at home out of raw goat milk. I just love this shake and can’t seem to give it up. I figure since the milk is raw, and also is from goats (which has a different protein from that of cows and is easier on digestion), I could be doing worse. Making it into kefir also makes it more digestable while providing good bacteria. That is about the only diary I do.
    If I want cereal (I love my dehydrated buckwheaties) with milk, I use my own homemade almond or other nut milk. I occassionally will have cheese on a slice of pizza, my favorite all time food!! I used to eat it alot, now it is a rare treat. I want to try a raw pizza, just haven’t gotten around to it yet.
    Maybe someday I’ll completely give up all dairy, but I am way ahead of where I used to be. It’s a gradual process for me, and I’m content with that.

10. Elaine says:

I once saw a short film skit on dairy,very funny. It was about someone driving along getting very thirsty and pulling over on the side of the road,running through a field to get milk straight from a cow!Then the speaker said something about if it’s not your mother don’t drink the milk. Have not had a glass since.

11. Ray says:

I’ve more or less given up dairy for health reasons. It’s always been obvious to me that I feel better when I don’t touch the stuff.

12. Lance says:

Hi Kevin I love your Renegade Health Show.I have PPMS, Do you think that if I become more alkiline, that maybe I could stop the progression of this disease and maybe even reverse the disease. For the past three years I have been eating around 70% of may food raw. I drink just water,I fast one day every week and fast ten days in Spring and Fall. I do not know that else I can do. Do you have any ideas that might help.

13. LISA says:

As I’ve been working on my nutrition, I’m really learning how bad milk is. I think the greatest irony of all is that we as a country are the biggest consumers of cows milk. However, we suffers the most from calcium related deficiences and diseases. Other countrys/cultures that don’t consume animal milk have a much lesser occurence of these diseases. Which highlights the fact that milk is not the optimal source of calcium, leafy green vegetables are such as kale and parsley. By the way, diary makes me very gassy. I never understood the reason for the gas. Do you know the bio-chemical reason as to why you get gas from milk products? Exactly what is going on inside the body to produce the gas?

14. Lauel says:

I personally do not do dairy. The issue for me is the FDA. How many people die each year from prescribed medicines? How many people dies in hospitals needlessly? How many people get sick eating meat? (e-coli) Raw milk is the best milk you can drink and while I agree with Kevin about problems associated with milk, I feel that poeple have the right to choose raw milk over pasturized. The FDA is in an all out war against anything even remotely healthy or natural.

15. Welmoed says:

Kevin, I’m sure you can expect plenty of comments about this subject. Without getting into any of the political or social issues or all the studies pro and con, our family loves the raw milk we get straight from an Amish farm here in PA. Also, the raw cheese is great and I make yogurt and kefir from the raw milk (good for the gut flora). People are lactose intolerant when consuming pasteurized milk/products and can get a lot sicker from pasteurized milk products gone bad. If one chooses to consume dairy and wants to know the difference between raw and pasteurized, there is a ton of information on this website: westonaprice.org.

16. Josh D. says:

From what I’ve found in my research into raw milk, It isn’t the raw milk that gives people problems, it’s the improper handling of it. I think If raw milk was legalized and there was a market that could be regulated it would eliminate the problem of improper handling because there would be certain protocols to follow which are missing when raw milk producers are forced to go underground to continue selling their product. There are bad bacteria in Raw milk, but there is also good bacteria that deactivates the bad bacteria making it safe for us to drink. When milk is pasteurized (cooked) the bad bacteria is killed along with the good bacteria and additional nutrients. As for the lactose intolerant part, Pasteurization also kills a certain enzyme (lactase?) that allows people with lactose intolerance to consume milk without a problem, but when this enzyme is not present in pasteurized milk.

17. Catherine says:

I love my raw milk! When my family ate a primarily vegan diet my daughter (at 18months) started to have pits formed in her front teeth. We changed our diet (adding organic meat (from my husband’s parents farm), probiotics, lots of yogurt and raw milk) and her pits did not grow bigger. She is almost six years old and has no cavities.

Raw milk digests very differently then pastuerized. Bacteria in raw milk, yogurt and kefir help populate the gut and aid in digestion. My daughter was allergic to dairy and eggs and that is why we were vegan. We repopulated the gut with bacteria and enzymes and her allergies disappeared.

You have to know the farm that you get your milk from. Are the animals healthy, well kept and clean? What are they eating? 100% grassfed is the best diet for cows. My husband drank raw milk all his life (28yrs) and my kids have drank since they were babies, and yes I drank it while I was pregnant with my second daughter. If the cows are healthy then there is little risk of e-coli.

18. Carol says:

As someone who has always been allergic to milk since a baby, I feel better not having any dairy. But straight from a clean cow is much better than pasteurized if you have to have it. And I agree that the closer you are to the cow, the better! I use commercial rice drink on my cereal as I’ve given up on soy milk too. Like some of these other posts say, it’s a gradual thing. You just do the best you can with what you know at the time! Thanks for these cool, short shows!!

19. Yves says:

I believe that milk should be consumed RAW like any other nutrient but most of all ORGANIC!!!!
    How do you want people not becoming allergic to milk that has been poisoned with antibiotics and hormones?
    It’s not milk anymore, it’s something else! And it’s harming humans bodies.

Yves.

20. Bernadette says:

Just wanted to point out, too, that there is a difference between being lactose intolerant and being allergic to dairy. Lactose intolerance is a result of not having enough of the enzyme -lactase- to digest the sugar in milk.. but people who are allergic to dairy react to the proteins in milk, namely casein, whey and albumin.

There are more than 30 proteins in milk that are antigenic. It is hard to tell whether a person is lactose intolerant or allergic to dairy because many of the symptoms are the same.. especially the gastrointestinal ones. Milk allergies can also affect the digestive tract, respiratory tract, cardiovascular system and skin. They can cause asthma and recurring ear/nose/throat infections in children, inflammation, insulin resistance and eventual diabetes, eczema, indigestion and poor absorption, even osteoporosis, just to name a few.

Because the proteins in cow’s milk are very large and complicated molecules, they are difficult for humans to digest. Our bodies don’t really know what to do with them. Even the proteins in goat’s milk are not as complicated and are more easily digested by humans. Cow’s milk was meant for baby cows!!

Pasteurized, or not, it doesn’t really appear that humans get a whole lot of nutrition out of cow’s milk, so it really becomes a question of risk vs. benefit. I have to admit, I miss eating ice cream and butter, but I know there are a lot more things I like to eat that are going to be better for my health in the long run.

21. Irina says:

Raw milk from grass fed organically raised cows milked by hand, and used in moderation by itself, or fermented into kefir is a great health food. It is completely different from pasteurized stuff, even if that is organic. Pasteurization alters milk proteins and kills all the good bacteria in it. Some people who consider themselves lactose intolerant do quite well with raw dairy. Milk has been a staple in many cultures for thousands of years, and humans thrived on it. Raw milk from grass fed cows supplies omega-3s, and beta-carotene, it can lower cholesterol, help fight seasonal allergies, and strengthen immune system. If fermented, it will provide beneficial gut bacteria. Not to mention, it tastes terrific, and has no off taste-the taste changes with the seasons, and the grass that cows eat. It does not have to be cow’s milk too, goat and sheep milk is even healthier and better digested – and very yummy. I think it is not as black and white as we would like it to be. And I would not want the government to decide for me what is safe or not safe – I want to have an informed choice! 1000 cases in 7 years is not a reason to shut down the whole movement, especially if you consider endless recalls of spinach, tomatoes, almonds, sprouts, other plant food, and pasteurized milk as well; and I don’t even want to compare this statistic to harm from prescription and otc drugs. Personally, I would not have any pasteurized dairy, especially milk, even if organic, but I am enthusiastic about raw dairy and believe it should have the right to be. Check out mercola.com or realmilk.com for a different perspective on the matter. Eventually, it is a personal choice for every individual, and as Kevin often reminds us, you have to try something to see how it affects your own health. I feel better with moderate consumption of raw and fermented dairy, but it doesn’t mean everyone else will too.

22. sharon says:

To go into detail a little bit more, my understanding is that yes, dairy is ‘acid-forming’, as are all animal foods, over eating, strenuous exercise and excessive white sugar and flour. And calcium’s job’s in the body are, besides strong teeth and bones, and organ (especially heart) function; the biggest use of calcium in the body is to buffer the ph of our blood. So any calcium we take in from dairy doesn’t get absorbed because it’s needed to counteract the acid condition created by the dairy product.
    Gabriel Cousins says dairy is loaded with pus (disgusting) by which I think he means infection. I have a friend who worked in a dairy one year, and she said that when the cows have mastitis (clogged milk duct, which gets infected) that cow’s milk is included in with all the healthy cow’s milk. This is industry standard – not an unusual case. That being said, I still use dairy, but as a condiment rather than a main food. And raw milk cheeses when I can find them are pretty much all I buy. Now I use fresh nut and seed milks whenever I want that creamy taste, I love them!

23. Lauren says:

I think NO milk and dairy is the best bet. Milk proteins are among those suspected to be the most toxic and carcinogenic to the human body.

24. Meri says:

What can I say except when I look in the mirror I don’t see a calf, I see a human. If that changes then I guess I’ll go hunt down a cow…

25. Noga Fisher says:

I used to be a huge dairy food eater and gave them up – sadly – about a year ago as part of a general cleanse and shift to more raw foods. About one week later I noticed a HUGE reduction in my need for Ventoline, a steroid-based inhaler which I had been using for asthma about 4 times a day for 20 years!! And now I’m off it altogether!!! How much is this due to dairy and how much to the general dietary change? Don’t know and don’t care – I’m not going back to dairy!

26. Lori says:

I was told that raw milk is easier to digest so people who are lactose intolerant can have raw with no problems. Personally, I love raw cheese now and again!

27. Donna says:

My husband and I switched to raw milk when the farm down the street started to sell it. The cows are grass-fed as soon as it grows here in Orange County, NY. I skim off the cream to make butter, and pour the buttermilk back in with the rest of the milk.

You can tell when the cows are put out to pasture because the milk changes color slightly and the butter becomes the brightest yellow you’ve ever seen. The milk retains the plant nutrients in the grass, which gets passed on to me when I drink it.

I have had no problems with our raw milk, probably because I get it straight from the farm. It is refrigerated immediately (at the farm) and I keep it that way until it’s gone. Who knows how the milk that made people sick was handled? There has been a lot of noise lately about salmonella and e-coli in tomatoes and spinach, but no one here is swearing them off…

The bottom line for me is not what the food is, but how the food is treated. An organic tomato has no value if it’s been gassed when it’s green.

28. Anne-Marie says:

I’m also with you in that Kevin.

I stop drinking milk and eating yogourt long time ago (15 years. But cheese! I can’t get rid of cheese. I choose goat milk cheeses, I tolerate it more.

But, still, when I see the publicity of milk (here in Quebec), “one is good, two is better”, they are very beautiful publicity but I feel that people don’t get any kind of info from it and that is what is the worst thing for me.

29. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

These comments are amazing! Thanks everyone for posting your views and making great arguments for or against without attacking the other side (if there really is an “other” side!) 🙂

We’re all on the same team here!

I’m going to be interviewing Sally Fallon from Weston A. Price in October, so we’ll be sure to cover Raw Milk!!!!!

Stay tuned!

30. Alissa Benjamin says:

Yuck cows milk is gross and leaves a nasty fatty residue in your mouth. I have never liked it. They only milk I would drink as a kid was soy. I still love soy milk however have switched to brazil and almond nut milk that I make in my vitamix.

I agree — Only drink the milk if it is from your mother. I do not want to grow to be as large as a cow.

🙂 Alissa from Cape Cod

31. Evelyn says:

I was raised on raw milk and dairy the first seven years of my life. We had a Holstein and a Jersey cow and that was our “local dairy.” In addition, coming from a poor rural family, my diet consisted of fresh organic vegetables (raised in our gardens, fertilized by our grass-fed bovines’ by-products without pesticides which cost money), wild fruits such as blackberries that we picked in the fields, etc. We ate some small bit of meat once a week, but could load up on all the veggies we wanted. I never realized how fortunate I was until I moved away and had to start paying the price for “fresh” produce, most of which is tasteless compared to the real deal.

32. Jerilee says:

Animal milk is not for humans. We are the only species that drinks another species milk. That is meant for their offspring, not us. We are also the only species that drinks milk past infancy. I feel much better since leaving all animal products behind – physically, mentally and spiritually.

33. Cathy says:

I grew up on a farm so drinking milk is natural to me. My problem with milk is the processing of it, not the milk itself. Like going out in the garden and picking a fresh tomato, wiping the dirt off and eating it. Same with milk. Milk the cow and enjoy. Milk we buy in the store taste nothing like fresh from the cow milk. The same with meat, it has a totally different taste fresh than what you get at a store.Just my thoughts, whether wrong or right.

34. Denise says:

I live next door to a dairy farm. These cows are out to pasture eating grass and they are not given hormones or antibiotics and I get my raw milk from the farm.
    After intestinal surgery and too many antibiotics, my insides were in an uproar. Milk that is raw has the good bacteria. It helps to keep me normal on the inside.
    The owners of the farm say that people who have problems drinking processed milk usually have no problem drinking raw milk. It’s what they do to it that makes it bad. I do not drink it every day, more like every other day and I agree with you. It should be up to us, the consumer as to what we want!!!

I have also read in natural health circles that processed milk scars your arteries!

35. Kimberly says:

I believe people should have a choice. I have been drinking raw milk, yogurt and kefir for the past 6 months without any problems. I rarely drank pasteurized milk as I never really enjoyed the taste – raw milk is completely different. My readings on raw milk have shown that we can utilize the calcium, nutritents etc. in the raw dairy – it is when it is processed that our bodies cannot utilize what we are feeding it – as in cooked and processed foods. Check out wewant2live.com and the book “we want to live” by Aajonus Vonderplanitz.

36. Bridget says:

I agree that we are not baby cows. However IMHO God gave us animals for a reason. To learn from, to have stewardship over, and to bless us with their service. I do not advocate huge intake of milk of any sort unless you are an infant, but I have experienced healing in a time of illness from raw cows milk. To everything there is a season, and all things have their place. Cows are beautiful beasts of burden and loving servants to us. I don’t mind that others think not- each opinion is welcome to me. I just wanted to share my own experience incase it helps.

37. michel says:

Milk, even raw organic milk which does contain good bacteria because it is not pasturized, is nevertheless heavily affected by fungally infected feed-grains that have been kept in long-term storage. Dairy is also acidifying to the system. All animal products, no matter how organic, raw, or homegrown- are likely to have a mycotoxic effect. Raw milk has about 5 million microorganisms/pathogens per cup. An average American meal has, conservatively, about 750 million, but more likely closer to 1 billion, an average vegan meal, around 500 (500 period, not 500 million). This is taken from The Fungal/Mycotoxin Etiology of Human Disease, Vol 2, 1994.
    So no, raw milk is not good for you.

38. Pat Lee says:

I love raw milk and if you are going to drink milk or have yogurt you need to use only raw. But I always come back to the question of what we are meant to eat and milk is food for babies of that species. Cows milk is meant to grow a calf very quickly and I really do not feel we are suppose to eat it.No other animal ever drinks milk after they are babies and they don’t drink milk from another species!
    Unless of course us human give it to them.

39. Lloyd says:

I was always borderline lactose intolerant but loved cheese. As a herbalist, many of my teachers insisted that “man” was not meant to drink milk after weaning. I was a vegetarian for over seven years, but never felt really good. A few years ago I discovered the Weston A. Price teachings and following them, began to feel even better. I am (and have been for two years or more)a devoted raw milk kefir consumer and eat only raw dairy products and sprouted grains – I almost never am sick. I believe that truly, “man” and “woman” was never meant to consume pasteurized and homogenized dairy products and have found the majority of people that suffer from reactions to dairy are from reactions to pasteurized daily products, not the real, raw, healthy version of dairy that mankind has consumed for thousands of years.

40. Evelyn says:

Just a second comment here. In Wisconsin, you can’t buy raw milk in a store. It’s illegal to even bring it in the door. Any purchasing of raw milk is done through buying “shares” in a dairy cow and picking up your product at the farm.

Over 1000 cases of e-Coli from raw milk, eh? How many cases were there from commercial meat packers in the same time period? How many millions of pounds of ground beef have had to be recalled over recent years? Maybe the FDA should consider banning the inhumane mass-production-feedlot farming of animals that makes it possible for such infections to enter our food supply, right down to feces runoff polluting organic produce being raised on adjacent/downstream farms.

41. krista says:

YES! I do drink raw milk! I grew up in Europe and my mother brought us God created fresh Raw milk! Never had any problem with it…until I moved to the states and started on pasturized dairy…YUCK! Do you believe every “E-coli” statement people make? That company is attacked beacuse their sales are growing more than any milk company in the US. I will continue to eat and drink raw milk, butter and cheese! SOme of you on here need some desperatly! 🙂

42. Arlynn Bottomley says:

Hi, I’m a 56 year old grandmother and years ago I based my diet on an author named Adele Davis, who highly recommended raw milk. During all my pregnancies (I have 6 children) I drank either raw cow’s or goat’s milk and fed it all to my babies and children (in addition to breast feeding them the first year or so) until raw milk became rare, cost prohibitive or nonexistant. They were healthy, athletic children. That said, I am now a vegan, more for ethical reasons, and, if I had it to do all over again, would probably want to raise my children vegan.

43. Shonagh Home says:

As a matter of fact, raw milk is incredibly healthy for you. Pasteurized milk is devoid of enzymes, beneficial bacteria and vitamins C, B12 and B6. Pathogens are now active in pasteurized milk that are associated with ezcema, allergies, colic in infants, heart disease, Crohn’s, and a host of other illnesses. Raw milk on the other hand has all the beneficial bacteria and enzymes intact. Raw milk contains the enzyme lactase which digests much of the lactose making it easier to digest. My daughter and husband are lactose intolerant and when we tried raw milk, they were able to digest it with no difficulty whatsoever. My brother’s kids had ezcema and when they switched to raw milk, the ezcema disappeared. These stories are common among people who switch to raw milk. Also, do not be fooled into thinking that low-fat milk is good for you. Mother nature makes no mistakes and the fact is that the fat in milk contains vitamins A and D which are needed for assimilation of calcium.
    Safe raw milk starts with a clean dairy and the fact of the matter is that conventional dairy farms produce milk that is ill fit for consumption in its raw form. Mark McAffee of Organic Pastures in California (www.organicpastures.com) is setting the standards for superb raw milk from GRASS-FED, PASTURED cows that are treated with kindness. I have been to his farm and it puts the standard dairies to shame.
    Dr. Weston Price was a nutritional researcher in the early part of the 20th century who was way ahead of his time. He studied the diets of healthy indigenous cultures untouched by Western society. All cultures consumed local foods that were unprocessed and nutrient dense. Every culture across the board consumed some kind of animal protein and almost all dairy was fermented. The stomach discomfort that Kevin experienced when eating yoghurt may well have been a reaction to a fermented food. When you introduce fermented foods into your diet – and these are incredibly nutritions by the way – these foods are introducing healthy bacteria into the digestive tract and it is best to start with small amounts or you will find yourself feeling gassy and bloated for a short time until your stomach adjusts and healthy intestinal flora is established. Kefir is a fermented milk drink that comes from the Caucausus region in Russia and it’s a very healthy way to consume milk. Homemade yoghurt doesn’t even resemble the yoghurt you buy in a store and again, it’s loaded with beneficial bacteria, calcium that’s readily digested, and it’s teeming with enzymes.
    An excellent website where you will learn all about the benefits of pure, wholesome, raw milk is http://www.realmilk.com.
    The FDA is working for big pharma, big agra as well as the conventional meat and dairy industries. Raw milk is a threat to pasteurized conventional dairy because it is so much healthier. Pasteurized milk is not immune to pathogens, dear friends. The bacteria for Johne’s disease, with which most confinement cows are infected, survives pasteurization and has been linked to Crohn’s disease.
    An absolutely excellent book to read on this subject is ‘The Untold History of Milk’ by Ron Schmid, N.D.
    Whether or not you choose to consume animal protein, we are all ultimately trying to bring our bodies into radiant health and wellness. It is important that we do not demonize something without examining all the facts. Dig deep and keep an open mind and heart and a good bit of common sense. And pay heed to ‘bio-individuality’. What works for my body may not work for yours. Don’t paint yourselves into a paradigm of ‘This is the ONLY way’ because there are many healthy, healing foods out there and there is a HUGE difference between whole, nutrient-dense foods that are in the state mother nature intended, (cows that eat grass instead of grains, etc) and the processed, dead foods that crowd our supermarket shelves.
    Sending love to all,
    Shonagh Home, Redmond, WA

44. Derek Moore says:

I think the isssue should be put into context. Cows produce milk for THEIR children/calves, not to be stolen by humans.
    The morality of farming constantly keeping cows pregnant to produce milk has got to be wrong and indeed cruel.

45. Danieal says:

GROSS GROSS GROSS! Milk is for baby cows not people!

46. Deborah.Kerr says:

I’ve worked on dairy farms…yes…I’m a milkmaid, but save the fantasy and listen to what I have to say first!!! Now by raw milk you mean only unpasturized right??? The milk still has to be filtered to keep out manure and dirt from the cows teats, and immediatly stored in a cooling tank. I have been drinking milk this way for a very long time, and have never been sick…it’s very rich and silky, and I LOVE it, and I’m a very lean woman. The animals at every farm I’ve worked at were treated like pets. Yes they had a job to perform, but they were well compensated by being kept healthy, and safe, and with their herd. Were there some sad stories??? Did we lose some cows and calves in the birthing process…yes, we did, but at least they had us to make sure they didn’t suffer unduly, which they probably would have in the wild!!. If an animal was being treated with antibiotics, it’s milk was NOT put into the system with the rest, it was milked into a bucket and the milk was dumped. The only hormone being used is one called oxytocin, which only helps the cow let her milk down and has no effect on the composition of the milk whatsoever. So in conclusion, I think that if your going to drink cows milk, it should be raw, and as with anything else, in moderation!!!

47. Menachem says:

Raw Goat’s milk is ok.

48. cindy says:

Raw milk and cheese is awesome!! The less processing, the better. Why do we think we can fortify foods once we destroy their natural nutritional value better than Mother Nature! It’s nonsense.

If consumers want to purchase raw milk and cheese, it is there peragative. Gov’t. needs to butt out. Besides, do you really believe Mr. John Sheehan, the head of the FDA’s daily division? He is a puppet on the string of the FDA mad dogs!!

There is no proof 1000 consumers have suffered from ecoli due to raw milk!! Why do we give the FDA and big pharma a pass on their dangerous drugs, but cry foul when someone reports bad raw milk!! This makes no sense.

Whether you consume raw milk or not, please be a part of our efforts to stop government from encroaching on our lives more!! WE live in America not China and should act like we do…

49. Hi there – I guess the many answeres you have had to your video speaks for itself. I just wanted to say that I agree with all you say. I’m in the United Kingdom and wish there were places where you could buy raw milk, as I won’t drink pasteurised AT ALL.

When I was little, we had the luke warm milk coming STRAIGHT from the cow and that is what I would like to drink.

50. Emily says:

When I was in the 4th grade, we had a person from a dairy farm come in to tell us all about milk and how its “so good for you”, well during their presentation a kid in my class asked why milk was bubbly, the response: because the saliva from the cow actually gets into their own milk!! Now if that doesn’t make you sick to your stomach! Lets just say that I didn’t drink my free carton of milk that they had provided for us!
    As Dr. Robert Young says, dairy actually makes our bodes acidic, and there for in order for the body to neutralize the acid, it actually takes calcium from the bones! So all those people thinking they are doing them selves good by chugging down those big glasses of milk, are actually causing the calcium to be depleted! I know the dairy farmers wont tell you that one!
    I say, what other animal drinks milk past the infant age, and on top of that drink it from another species!!!

51. I agree that the commercial milk available to the general public is extremely bad for you.
    It is a dead denatured substance that causes sickness and disease.

However,raw milk from grass fed pasture raised animals can be beneficial.

As far as lactose intolerance is concerned. Raw cow’s milk contains the lactase enzyme required to digest the lactose in the milk. Also, raw milk contains the lactobacillus bacteria, which inoculates your small intestine so you can produce the lactase enzyme on your own.

There are many benefits to drinking grass fed raw milk, but it is extremely hard to get.

Do you need raw milk to be healthy?
    No, you don’t, but if you like milk and want to drink it, it is the most healthy milk in the world to drink.

52. Socorro says:

I really enjoy your show/site, Kevin, but I think this time you’ve attempted to sum up a mammoth topic that has large amounts of research and documentation behind it in 3 plus minutes.

The differences between raw milk and pasteurized milk are so great that I don’t consider them to be the in the same category. The known benefits of raw milk are numerous, as are the detriments of pasteurized milk.

Even if you never choose to drink raw milk, I would encourage you to find out the more accurate information regarding it. This is a great website (among many) for info:

53. Darlene says:

In Canada, the sale of raw milk has been illegal for as many years. All three of my children were extreemly intollerant to (store bought) milk and mild products. The interresting thing to note though, is that one time a friend gave me all the left over (raw from thier dairy farm) cream from a ladies tea party we had, and I took it home and made butter and pies etc. NONE of my children had any reaction to the raw product. I found that VERY interresting and since then have concerns with the additives that are put into pasturized milk!

54. Caroline says:

I enjoy milk in hot chocolate drinks, cheese on bake rice..All these diary products makes all food so tasty. Milk is exceptionally yummy especially when i drink it by itself. But they all come with a price. These diary products cause me to have more mucus in my body and makes me feel very bloated. Takes me monthes before my next flu or cough kicks in.
    I am still trying my best to stop all diary products. it is not easy especially Singapore is a food paradise!!
    Does Blood Type related to any reason mention above? I am a A blood group and they were suppose to be more vegans and less meat.

55. Mark Salinas says:

I have never ventured into the raw milk realm. I have always been a clean water guy. I might just give it a shot! I like the video!

56. Polly says:

I would really love to get raw milk. Presently I use non-homogenized milk from grass fed cows and although good, raw would be great! I eat grass fed beef and really free range chickens. I eat free range eggs, grassfed butter and cheese and I make my own yogurts and creme fraiche and other fermented dairy products. But I eat a lot of raw stuff too…and I will cook the occasional squash, broccoli or asparagus (fresh from local farms, of course. I am definitely a true omnivore…I do try to limit grains other than oatmeal and quinoa (not a grain, but…)

57. Kaloa Devine says:

My 18 mo old son was unable to nurse, he’s my forth and being unable to nurse him was devastating. However we could feed him with a bottle, it wasnt as hard for him to suck on. (all this was due to an issue with his jaw, which now cranial manipulation has, thankfully fixed) I pumped and feed him with a bottle for 4 months, then my milk supply was just not keeping up with his demand. So I started looking for alternatives, the formulas out there are sickingly awful, full of corn syrups and soy.
    I went on a quest for a better alternative, and found a WONDERFUL alternative in a recipe at the westonprice org.
    He has done wonderfully on this recipe, including raw milk. I have a relative that also had an issue with nursing, and her daughter would barely gain weight, they were VERY concerned for her. She did not do well on the formulas at all, they knew of my situation and when she was about 6 months old put her on the same formula she began to gain weight and be happier immediately. They are completely convinced that this formula, including raw milk saved her from a long series of health issues.
    Raw milk is real milk. I’m 99% raw, and my children eat high raw diets, but I’m not convinced that no animal products whatsoever is thee best diet. Organic free range, pasture feed, grass eating, properly cared for cows and chickens produce wonderfully healthy milk and eggs, it’s what the big companies cant supply us.
    I want my own cow (mini version would be perfect) and a lil flock of chickens!
    Just know exactly where your milk comes from, know how the cows are treated and feed, know how they are milked and how the milk is handled. People lived for thousands of years with good raw milk. I’d love to see actual stat’s, unfortunately there arent any, but I’d still bet more people are maimed and die of pharmicutical drugs and awful dead food now, in our “enlightened age” than they ever did of raw milk.

58. Ray O'Quinn says:

I have recently and once again started drinking RAW goat’s milk. My body seems to strengthen quickly from the consumption of the raw goat milk. I also use RAW cow butter and RAW cow cream when available. If you have never had RAW cream, then your understanding of fresh peaches and cream has never reached it total level of appreciation. Amazingly different and amazingly more flavorful than processed cream — night and day comparison.
    I have never experienced a negative reaction consuming raw dairy, but I do get congested when consuming pasturized and processed dairy, expecially skim milk.
    The strength that builds and muscle development that occurs quickly when consuming RAW dairy is noticable. Usually within a couple of weeks.
    As in anything, over consumption of raw dairy may not be a good idea, but since I have never done such, I don’t have any feedback to offer.
    Bottom line — thumbs up — way up!
    Ray

59. Terry Nicholson says:

Real raw organic milk in Alabama can only be sold for pet food, so unless you are willing to listen to your pets, my thoughts are not going to mean very much. Comparing raw organic grass fed cows milk to the stuff you get in stores is the same as comparing cheap vitamines to wholefood vitamines. There really is no comparison. All wholefood vitamines are not the same nor is organic raw milk. You must be as informed as satisfies yourself as to the choices you make to be happy. Thanks to people like Kevin the infomation is much more availble. Your friend and pet in Alabama, Terry

60. Frank Jensen says:

I cannot say it better that it is being done on this page:

Cow milk is and will always be for calves and human milk for humans…. – They were designed for a specific purpose and that is it….nothing to discuss

61. Vicki says:

I was raised on a small farm, and we always had plenty of fresh raw goat milk. Today, I use raw cow’s milk from free ranged, pasture fed–“happy” cows, and to date, for me, with no apparent ill health effects.

I often enjoy a raw milk, raw egg (again, free ranged), banana and ground flaxseed smoothie for a quick meal. Also, grated aged raw cheese makes a delicious addition to kale salad.

By contrast, commerical pasteurized milk taste bland, and gives me sinus allergies.

62. Lori says:

Kevin, I just wanted to thank you again for your show. It is so fun to get updates on what is happening out there and also help reinforce what we already know. You are right in saying that milk is not fit for humans and that it does leach calcium from the bones. I have studied this for sometime now and I know that it becomes acidic in the body and then to alkalinize or counter the affect of milks acidity it will draw calcium from the bones to neutralize the affects.

63. I feel since 98% of our foods, makeup, hair care products, mouthwashes, toothpastes, lotions and creams all have chemicals that can cause serious problems within our bodies, raw milk is a blessing. I cannot drink pasteurized milk becauses it causes lot of problems in my body with all of the chemicals. When I drank raw milk for 3 months, I had absolutely no problems with cramping, diahhrea or whatever. If raw milk causes no problems within my body then natural is the way to go. If companies can put propylene glycol in antifreeze as well as my butter, what is the problem with raw milk.

64. Krystle says:

I think raw milk is great for you. I’m not sure why the raw milk is such a big deal, when people get E-coli from other places..like fruits, and veggies??? They haven’t taken spinach away have they? Then why try and take raw milk away?

65. Marilyn says:

“The Old Doctors,” Dr Walker, Dr Chirstopher, Dr. Hay listed dairy as a mucus-forming food, and that was BEFORE homogenization, BEFORE pasturization.

Clogging up the villi so that we can’t obsorb nutrition is absolutely ludicrous.

66. Susanne says:

Kevin, I’m glad you brought up the topic but as one previous listener noted, you’ve taken on a topic that’s huge…and you’ve barely skimmed the surface. First of all, it is pasteurized milk and hormonal milk and all sorts of “industrialized” milk that is the problem–and raw milk brings us back to sanity, and to the “buy local” trend too. I was raised on pasteurized milk, unfortunately, until I discovered the real thing here in France, where I am lucky enough to be able to buy different brands of raw cow and goat milk as well as raw butter and cheese at the organic foods store. It’s lovely! Also, one thing that is SCARY about pasteurized and the UHT milk in rectangle “brick” containers is that it is DEAD. It lasts for WEEKS. No wonder, because it’s totally industrial!! The raw milk, on the other hand, is beautiful LIVING food, and starts to turn sour after about 3 or 4 days. If it has only just turned, I can still safely enjoy the fermenting milk. It is not dangerous in the least. The reason the FDA (a very corrupt organization) is trying scare tactics and attacking raw milk is to protect their corporate dairy friends, NOT the consumer. What ever the FDA “approves” should probably be avoided as their track record stinks. Aspartame legal and safe? Please! And I’m supposed to believe what they say about milk? I don’t think so. Organic pasteurized milk might be preferable but should be avoided unless you’re making hot chocolate or using it in cooking–but for drinking milk cold, only pure raw milk from a clean farming operation should be ingested. Like those informed about raw milk know, the processing of raw milk is much more stringently monitored than pasteurized, so you’re automatically more safe. Rampant lactose intolerance is caused mostly by pasteurization; when people try raw, they are often no longer lactose intolerant! Only a small percentage of people can’t process raw dairy (which for me is now the only worthwhile dairy). Raw milk is catching on all over the U.S. like wildfire, and that is why the FDA has launched an attack. But its arguments are pathetic–as usual! Enjoy raw milk if you like milk. If you’ve never tried it, please give it a try. If you haven’t liked milk before, you might like it raw. For more information, http://www.realmilk.com is awesome! Cheers. Susanne

67. Rebecca Cody says:

Weston A Price, back in the 1930s, traveled the globe studying totally healthy indigenous groups. These people had no heart disease, diabetes, cancer, decayed teeth, or difficulty in conceiving and bearing children. They had no crime. They were happy. It didn’t matter what part of the planet they were on. They all ate very different diets. Yet they did many things in common, among them eating animal protein. And all ate some of their animal protein raw. Some groups ate raw milk and cheese, some raw fish or meats. One major key to their excellent health was eating unprocessed foods. When they ate white flour, sugar, and other processed foods their health declined, and by the third generation they were as unhealthy as people are today. So, if you have access to clean raw milk and it agrees with you, it is a healthy food. Pasteurized milk is not. If you don’t digest it well, it’s not for you. To learn more, check out http://www.westonaprice.org.

68. Judy Ritsema says:

Hi,
    Well, I just don’t agree with the anti-milk people, although I will defend your right to say it. I am hearing a lot about lactose intolerance. Well, how about allergies to tomatoes or wheat or nuts? No size fits all is the best approach to eating. There are so many criteria for people to eat, always has been.
    The Israelites, in ancient times, drank a lot of raw milk. They are none the worse for having done it.
    How about the people who live in the Caucasus regions. They drink raw milk and it’s products for thousands of years. It is a large part of their diet. They are known as Centenarians. I wrote an article about it on my blog.
    All foods can be beneficial and life sustaining, when taken in their most natural state, free from man’s contaminants.
    I drink grass fed raw milk. Have for years and wouldn’t change it.
    Anything done too much is not good. Moderation in all things.
    Raw milk does NOT smell or stink. It’s even an entirely different color and consistency.
    If you can’t drink it, then please don’t condemn or outlaw those of us who wish to drink a natural product. It is illegal, not because it can harm, but because the ‘big dairy’ can’t make money. Homogenized, pasteurized milk is NOT milk. That is what makes me nervous. Why do we put so much emphasis on something that is part of nature? Why are we determined to make it wrong or right? We eat raw foods all the time. We have outbreaks of e coli and salmonella all the time. Why is milk so often singled out. Some tomatoes are having some bacterial contamination right now. I don’t hear a huge outcry to ban tomatoes. Why is that? It’s the big dairy behind milk. It’s a lot more money involved than some tomatoes.
    I make raw milk butter, kefir, and know I am healthier because of the Omega 3’s available.
    I would ask people to just let it be. Let raw milk live in peace with all the other raw foods out there. It’s my choice what I put in my body, just as it is your right. Please, at least give me the freedom and benefit of my intellect to make a choice, instead of taking another freedom away.
    I can’t believe I am on Kevin’s site defending raw milk! Oh, well, live and learn.
    Has anyone heard of Codex Alementarius. This is exactly what this organization wants. They want to take all of our rights away when it comes to food. They want to control all food supplies. It scares me to death!
    If I were someone who enjoys freedom, especially in what I put in my mouth, it would be a good idea to look at this corrupt organization. Go to You Tube and type in Codex or We Become Silent, and see if that doesn’t get your mind off of raw milk and onto protecting everyone’s right to choices.
    Thanks for letting me express my opinions.
    Judy Ritsema
    Certified Health Coach

69. qwan says:

Ok first of I think only Josh Has almost got it right.
    People do not die from consuming raw milk….period. It is the unhygienic conditions followed during the milking of the cow and to the delivery that is causing contamination.
    So in other words it is gross negligence on the part of the farmer….errr..nooo….now here is another thing.
    Our good old farmer was very clean. It is only when milk became commercialized that is when the handling of milk became bad.
    A farmer takes utmost care in milking the cow, clean utensils etc etc, because the farmer himself keeps a part of the milk for his own consumption.
    Enter commercial companies who wanted to take the milk business on a large scale, started appointing cheap labour to milk cows.(in some places machines would be used but the surroundings would be as dirty. The people handling the milk are not drinking it, most of all it is not something they do once every morning. So just like any other food industry especially like the hotel industry these people are really not bothered about hygiene.
    Instead of enforcing strict hygiene standards like the hotel industry(health inspectors frequent visits and taking bacteria samples of walls and surrounding apart from the kitchen) these commercial milk companies decided to pasteurize milk(apart from using hormones etc).
    It was the easy way out. They just wanted to make money they were not bothered about enzymes they are bothered about shelflife.

Ok now coming to the concept of milk. Milk is best consumed in product form. That is raw cheese, yogurt, buttermilk, ghee(clarified butter as we know but original ghee is extracted after adding little curds to the cream and allowing it to ferment overnight, used as medicine and is an excellent brain food for growing kids according to ayurveda).
    About lactose intolerence and allergies, let me tell you that in many other cultures especially India, almost no one has(or rather had) any allergies. My close friend is allerginc to eggs, but guess what she was born in the USA and stayed was there in growing years and then moved to the middle east(where many Indian families live a life of canned and processed food).
    I remember that anyone who has such allergies are always consuming processed food. A classmate I remember 20 years ago was allergic to Milk. She had lots of relatives abroad and used to practically live on chocolates, tinned food and instant noodles.(which did not exist then in India).
    Apart from that very rare cases. today we see all types of allergies in all races. Diseases are attacking each and every race because everyone is eating the way america is. MCdonalds is open everywhere.
    Kids are growing up on nestles baby food instead of mothers milk, because people in these countries are committing the same mistake america did years ago, they think baby food is more nutritious and is a necessary supplement.(and who the hell will take the trouble making baby food from raw natural food).
    I have a feeling that maybe these baby food companies put something in the baby food so that kids will develop intolerance and they will have to eat only baby food by these companies :-p

This is case with everything. Salmonella in tomatoes, spinach, almonds and people want to irradiate it. Neither the consumer nor the regulation authorities(nor the media and health sites like yours and naturalnews) fail to point out that it is unhygienic conditions and manly gross human negligence that is causing such contaminations.
    And if the regulatory authorities tried enforcing some regulation there then it would be more helpful.
    I feel the main culprit in contaminated veggies is cockraoches, yes I heard that newyork has the higghest cockroach population in the world.
    Can you imagine the worlds best country biggest city is infested with disease spreading cockroaches.
    I got this when I was at a market a very dirty market around 10pm(when cockroaches come out) and I saw them all running through the vegetables. The vegetable stall owners were least bothered.
    Before anyone thinks whats wrong with cockroaches, well they are the worst disease spreaders. They live in sewage pipes. They are the direct contact for germs like salmonella and cholera.
    Cockraoches piss everywhere they go(and a stinky piss that is full of germs) and all you need is just one cockroach to run through a batch of spinach or almonds to contaminate it.
    This again leads to the companies not maintaining pest control in their premises.
    We have to address these issues first before blaming milk or the food and forgeting that food in its natural state is never contaminated.

70. Bernadette says:

Goat’s milk, as opposed to cow’s milk has been reported on pH charts to be alkaline, so I don’t think it causes the same problem of leashing calcium from the bones.

I was diagnosed with an allergy to cow’s milk when I was 40.. I was allergic to the proteins in cow’s milk. However, when I was tested on sheep and goat’s milk, I was fine.. not allergic.

T. Colin Campbell studied the affects of animal protein on cancer growth, etc… for 30 years before he undertook The China Study. He was specifically using ‘casein’ as his animal protein, the most predominant protein in cow’s milk.

I still have a bit of dairy now and again, but it is always from goat’s milk. I sprinkle a bit of goat’s feta on rice dishes and have a half glass of goat’s milk once in a blue moon, but I don’t have the problems with my bones and sinuses the way I did with cow’s milk.

For people who can absolutely not get raw milk, we can’t in Canada for instance, goat’s milk is a better choice, if you are going to choose to have dairy at all.

71. Jenny says:

Why take raw milk away? Because as stated before humans are humans and not cows. Human become grownups in 20 years, cows in two. That is a BIG difference. The cow-milk is the calf’s food while growing and the human-milk is for the baby when growing. Since the cow grows so much faster it is natural that the ingredients differ. Milk keeps being produced if you constantly milk the mother and the result is very painful and uncomfortable for the cow, so since humans consuming cow’s milk is neither healthy for the human nor for the cow I see no reason why one should not take it away.
    Personally I was ill with asthma and exzema until I gave up milk.

72. Bernadette says:

I also wanted to mention that the most prevelant causes of ecoli, salmonella, etc.. are from meat and meat products, not from fruits and vegetables.

73. Joyce says:

Although i really miss cheese after not eating it for a couple years, I still have to agree that milk is made for calves. I wouldnt steal milk from a baby human, so why take it from a calf?

74. Lori Coleman says:

Hi Kevin,
    Love your show!
    I was raised on raw goats milk fresh from our own organically- fed goats. My sister and I were never sick and did not have a single cavity until 18 yrs. old when we left home and started eating sugar! Raw goat milk is the closest milk to human mother’s milk and therefore should be the first choice in drinking raw milk. Definitely raw milk is superior to pasteurized milk which should NEVER be consumer under any circumstances. Humans are the only mammals that continue to drink milk after they are weaned!

75. J Gold says:

Go here for clarity on the ambiguous term “milk”:

IMO, like many words we glibly throw around, “milk” can mean many things. There is some “milk” that I would consume in moderation. I’ll call it “alpha milk”. Alpha milk comes from cows that are free-ranging and eat only fast growing unsprayed grass, not grains and especially not grains with pesticide residue. The cows have not been injected with antibiotics or growth hormones. And the alpha milk is neither skimmed, pasturized nor homogenized. It’s hard to find and that’s why I drink very little “milk”. Common sense tells me that all the ambiguities in milk studies are related to the degree of contamination and degradation of alpha milk into “milk products”. If the vocabulary were up to me there would be two terms: “milk”, which would mean alpha milk as defined above, and “milk products” which would mean everything else.

Another thing that makes the discussion murky is that some comments are about philosophic/ethical issues and some are about physiologic issues. This same confusion muddies discussions about vegetarianism in general. Try to keep them distinct and your thinking about this issue should be clearer.

76. del says:

Another way to look at milk is that it’s liquid meat. No bones about it. Pum intended. Literally, drink milk, lose calcium. Raw Cows milk is for calves not humans. Check out the the film “Earthlings” on You Tube. You would eat food that fell on the floor of a toxic factory would you? Why would you put it in your mouth? Factory farming is a human disgrace. There’s no reason for it on any level. Low fat, organic milk, raw milk is like sugar coated cereal. It’s killingn America and all the western world that is following our lead. Wake up! And smell the manure. The excretment aline has major green house gases that are many time more than than carbon dioxide. Better than buying a hybrid. Give up the addiction to the cream. For a humorist look at what is really happening check out http://www.meatrix.com. It does advocate supporting organic farming practices. But it might you might start to think. Is this really good for me? Think about it. Woudld you go up to an expecting mother ask “Excuse me, I’m really thirsty, can I have a drink?” No. Would you do it to your own wife? No. Would you slide under a cow or goat or sheep and have a drink. Probably not. Why? Think about it?

77. kelly says:

I would strongly recommend reading “The Untold Story of Milk” by Ron Schmid. Many people are quoting facts about raw milk that have been advocated by the Dairy Association, who have a very strong financial motive for keeping raw milk off the shelves. I can tell you personally that my son had asthma, and when i took him off conventional milk and put him on raw milk and raw milk products exclusively, his asthma went away. Raw milk, handled properly, is healthy to the extent of being medicinal. When you know how conventional milk is produced, you wouldn’t drink it no matter how high they heated it. Read the book, if only to not be brainwashed by an industry that has an agenda.

78. sarah says:

i thought i never felt better than i did when i quit having cereal with milk for breakfast. for 45 years i thought i was just not a morning person, & then i found out what clarity and energy i had just eliminating milk!!!
    ……….so then , i never felt better than i did when i quit allll dairy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no more sinus hell! no more digestive problems. and even morrre energy.
    for me, i never want any dairy ever again. i thought i would have a hard time getting off of cheese, so at first i went to raw cheese, and that was a big mistake for me. if i want to breathe and be well and have lots of mental clarity and enrgy and my belly to feel good, it is zero dairy of any sort, period.
    so i think you really have to listen to and feel your body and know what foods make you feel good.
    (now i never felt as good as when i went raw & vegan…)

79. weavermomo says:

Just because we have the unfortunate power to take from the animals doesn’t mean we should. Animals do not eat liquids that come out of our bodies or eat us, too bad they can’t. I believe people would see that eating animals & animal products is wrong not to mention unhealthy if they could do the same to us!

80. Baileycc says:

Cow milk is for a calf, goat milk is for a baby goat, mother”s milk is for a human baby and pasteurized milk is for cross species feeding of humans. The FDA knows a profit when it see one.

81. Jean says:

Hi Kevin
    I am O Posative blood type and we are not suppose to have milk. But If I could I would by far choose raw milk. This is America right?? And we have freedom of choice right???(I know the answer to that by the way) It should be our choice!!!!!
    Jean

82. verne Willis says:

I actually don’t drink very much dairy because I am lactose intolerant, BUT I have found that milk doesn’t seem to bother me if I drink it in raw form. Just curious, how many people have been infected from e coli from infected meat since 1998 or contaminated fruits and vegetables. Dairy farmers can produce more milk because they do not have to have healthy cows to do so. They can feed them antibiotics instead of keeping them healthy. If I am drinking raw milk, my viewpoint is the cow where the milk is coming from is probably much healthier than the standard milk cow.

83. James Thomas says:

Excellent topic Kevin… Like big pharmaceutical corporations, I honestly feel that corporate dairy lobbyists are meddling with the USDA and causing corruption. Why they would want to perpetuate a model that limits consumer’s free will is a mystery to me.

Organic Pastures is doing more than any other company to defend consumer interests. We should stand by them. With a little bit of common sense, one can compare the bacteria count data on Organic Pasture’s website, and conclude that raw milk is not the problem.

A year ago, I was drinking a gallon of raw milk a day without any noticeable side effects. My skin breaks out and I get sore throats and excessive mucus when I drink pasteurized.

I am a vegan now… so milk from a health point of view is not really an issue for me. It is only a political issue. I think, it o.k. for the government to warn consumers of the potential risks of drinking pasteurized milk, but its another thing taking our free will away and prohibiting it. Alcohol destroys more people’s lives than milk ever will.

84. Gail Jankevicius says:

In my opinion, I have read many things about many avenues of the deception that lies within our food supply and government entities that are “SUPPOSED” to look out for the welfare of American Citizens. Milk is no exception to my self endured research. Most people that are here today already have had an awakening of Big Corporations running all aspects of our government. Therefore, I need not elaborate in mountains of detail.

In respect to all of this, I have recently come across a documentary called “The End Game” It is a 2 hour 9 minute documentary…. thus far I have had the opportunity to view only the first hour of it……

By watching the first hour, anyone with any knowlegde of the evolution of the health crisis here in the states… can surely relate to another “UNDERGOROUND” perspective of not only Continental U.S. governments involement, but also an awakening of the World Powers influence on our governments!

I am anxiously looking forward to veiwing the second hour of this documentary.

Find it here…

rint-for-global-enslavement/

Stand strong and continue to fight for our health! We need all the help we can get!

Gail

85. Barry Mayo says:

Most of the comments are good, but the weak people that use all the lame excuses as reasons to eat a food that IS NOT good for a human are ridiculous. Humans are NOT cows and do not need cows milk, it is not fit for human consumption at any age or in any form. No animal in nature drinks milk after it is weaned from it’s mother, only weak humans do that. It’s the high protein in the milk intake that causes the calcium to be leached from the body, not the type of milk, raw or not. The body gets rid of excess protein and it gets so used to excreting it, it starts to take it from the bones also. It is the cause of osteoporosis. There are many, many more bad things that come from ingesting animal milk that are far to numerous to go on about here. No animal fat or product is healthy for humans, whom are NOT carnivores! Nor are they cows and do not have cows teeth and digestive system to eat grains and grass either. Fruits, vegetables and nuts are for humans, period.

86. Nanci Garon says:

Raw dairy is a wonder. Conventional dairy products are not healthy.
    Raw has all the enzymes and healing properties intact. Grass fed or pastured cows dairy products are even better. Edgar Cayce often recommended a product from raw butter. Even lactose intolerant people can use raw dairy products. You do have to know your source. Small organic farms are best where cows have space and are eating only local grasses.

87. stephen says:

What about the fact that sushi can be harmful, especially to pregnant women? But a warning is given, and then people are allowed to make their own informed choice. Why is our freedom to choose being taken away when it comes to raw milk?

88. Raw milk contains the lactase enzyme which means that lactose intolerant people CAN digest milk without difficulty. Many of the issues people raise regarding milk apply ONLY to pasteurized milk. There are some proteins which denature during pasteurization and those do lead to allergies and potential calcium absorption blockage. Finally, homogenization breaks the fat molecules into smaller ones which are absorbed into the blood stream. Most of the fat in raw milk cannot be absorbed so again there are issues with commercially processed milk which are NOT the same when you’re dealing with raw milk.

There is a money trail behind the reasons the FDA and the Dairy Council want to eliminate access to raw milk. It has little to do with safety.

89. As for safety, pasteurization was effective back in a time when we had only just discovered “germs,” farmers didn’t keep animals clean enough prior to milking and the milk wasn’t refrigerated. Today, the farm where I obtain raw milk from my cow feeds the cows grass only, they are washed, interact with a variety of other animals, are not kept in pens, their udders are wiped with iodine prior to milking and the state required bacterial tests every two weeks. This farm has been running for 101 years and has never been the source of a bacterial outbreak.

On the other hand, the New England Journal of Medicine points out that pasteurized milk may enhance listeria.

Another report, from the NY State Department of Health (I’m looking for the URL), shows that in a 10 year period, the ONLY reported outbreaks of bacterial contamination in milk occurred with pasteurized, not raw, milk.

90. Bernadette says:

Thank you for the link, Gail. I will watch that. Bernadette

91. SusanJ says:

I agree that the FDA is the problem. I do not want them dictating what foods are available to me. I’m still upset about the pasteurizing of “raw” almonds. The FDA is a shill for big industry and doesn’t have our best interests in mind.

About dairy. I do enjoy my occasional raw cheese and would buy raw organic butter if I could afford it. I think how you process dairy depends upon your metabolic type. Some people do well with it and others must avoid it. But no matter what, I want to have the option of buying REAL dairy products if I choose to.

A quick history lesson. I heard that around 1800 when people began moving into towns and off the farms, dairy farms began since townspeople no longer had a family cow. So instead of letting the cows graze, they began feeding the cows an unnatural (not what they were used to) diet. There was an epidemic of cowpox and dairy was blamed. We’ve been living with pasteurization ever since!

Bottom line, I believe that milk products that come from cows who graze on an organic farm and are not processed is ok for those who can tolerate it. Just keep the government out of it.

92. Richard Gambino says:

Milk is for babies. Cow’s milk is for baby cows. It is trouble for humans!

93. Al says:

I have given up dairy for health purposes, but also for personal hygiene. Without dairy products, especially milk, I rarely experience any body odor. I did enjoy raw milk during my dairy days, and if you are still using dairy products, look for raw and unpasteurized.

94. Dee says:

Hi Kevin:

I drink raw milk from grass fed goats. The milk is wonderful and most people think I look 10 years younger than my age.

I also like raw butter and cheese.

The book: Death by Supermarket has interesting info on pasteurized milk.

All the best and thanks for doing what you do!

Dee

95. Dairy DOES NOT do a body good
    Dairy actually sucks
    Organic dairy is dairy — It has Casein Human & Casein do not mix!
    Raw Dairy??? Clean grass fed cow brought up with love
    if you can digest maybe okay
    FOR ME GIVING UP DAIRY CHANGE MY LIFE
    Gave up dairy No longer needed Afrin!

http://www.notmilk.com check it out!

96. Greg says:

I have a allergy problem with milk and don’t drink it. The allergy causes me two have something like almost a continuous cold. I used to drink it warm before going to bed at night because it helped me sleep (a lot of insomnia). I needed the tryptophin protein that can help to bring on sleep. I was getting a tablet pack called ltryptophin, but that became unavailable, although very efective. So the only way at the time to get some was through cows milk. Soya milk then became available, so I switched to that. It seems to work just as well if not better than cows milk, without any allerdy problems.
    Where I am raw cows milk does not seem to be available but I would probably try it if it was, especially if it was cheaper than soya milk.

97. Stefani says:

Hi Kevin,

It bugs me that so few people look at goat’s milk when they talk dairy. Cow’s milk is designed to grow a 50 lb calf to over 200 lbs in one summer, so not best suited for humans. In terms of nutritional closeness to human milk, mare’s milk is second and goat’s milk is third. Since that is what’s available, that’s what I feed my kids. Unfortunately, I can’t get any raw goat’s milk. Raw and organic are best avoid a lot of the problems with milk.

On the alternative to dairy for calcium – everyone tells us to eat the dark green veggies for calcium, but they don’t warn you that broccoli, spinach, kale and other dark leafy greens have high levels of oxalic acid that bind the calcium so that your body can’t absorb it. To get the calcium from those sources, you have to cook them long enough to break down the oxalic acid – light steaming is often good enough for the leafy greens. But that means raw foodies aren’t getting the calcium they think they are from those dark green veggies.

98. I am not big on dairy, but I have 3 teenage kids and I think it can be very benificial to them. I own a cow share and have given my kid raw milk for years. I am all for it!!
    Janet

99. Joy says:

We live near Amish communities. The FDA has been trying to shut down their ability to sell/consume raw dairy. Their religion forebids them to consume unnatural foods. Pasturization is unnatural. Whether you feel dairy is good or it’s bad, DON’T LOOSE SIGHT OF THE FACT THAT THE FDA WANTS TO CONTROL WHAT WE CAN OR CAN’T EAT. Yes, we still have some ability to consume raw dairy in SOME states should we choose…but that may soon change. And once that’s gone, what’s next? Raw vegetables…where everything must be irradiated? Remember what they just dictated about raw almonds! Joy – PA

100. Beth says:

I was totally vegan for 6 years, and then a few months ago introduced some (local) raw goat milk into my diet. Seems to be beneficial to me. A nutritionist told me that goat milk is much more tolerable by humans, and recommended that I start drinking it for health reasons. Must say I feel great!

101. Tracy says:

I thought the bacteria in Yogurt was different that what is in milk…shouldn’t that make it different? Also diaherra is stopped by eating yogurt–which is the opposite with milk…so arn’t yogart and milk very different? I am surprised by Kevin’s comment that he said he had yoguart and it made his stomach feel bad–when he was talking about dairy…or can one consider it still in the dairy family even tho the bacteria id different?

102. Jody says:

A cow has four chambers that make up their stomach, and we only have one. The four chambers serve different purposes. In short they have a more complex digestion process that can break up all the protiens and sugars in the COW’S milk. If they ever bottled up dog’s milk in the store I wander who would buy it. Or cat milk. I could go on and on. Get the picture.

103. shan says:

hi kev,

i just wondered what you think about bee pollen..is it ever really raw? a safe supplement for vitamin D and B12?

thanks, shan

104. jessica says:

All of the posters who spew anti-dairy rhetoric without even addressing the difference between raw and pasteurized milk- you completely destroy your own credibility.

OF COURSE taking the chemically forced product of an unhealthy, abused animal and then subjecting it to more mechanical, hormonal & chemical manipulations to make it seem palatable is going to lead to a product that is unhealthy. This is not a secret! But it is willful blindness to not acknowledge the many people who have been greatly helped by raw dairy… there are and have been entire cultures who subsisted primarily on raw mil & milk products, and who have very low levels of allergies, heart disease & osteoporosis. (Traditional peoples of Switzerland & the Masaii, just for starters.)

Please, people, just because you were raised in the suburbia that is completely separated from how humans are meant to eat, do not judge the pure, raw food by its mangled, engineered for profit cousin.

105. Bernadette says:

Dear Jessica,

While you are right to distinguish between raw and pasteurized dairy, you should also be looking at the difference between goat’s milk and cow’s milk. Goat’s milk is the primary milk consumed throughout the world. Cow’s milk is specific to the North American culture. Cow’s milk has a more complex set of proteins than goat’s milk, that are not compatible with humans and that is why people are allergic or sensitive to it, pasteurized or not. The number of people who are sensitive is much higher than what is reported. Most children from 1-3, for instance, are very sensitive to cow’s milk and it is reported that many develop a tolerance after the age of 3. However, an adaptation like this means the body is compensating in some way and we have no idea how that will affect a person’s individual health in the future. I suspect the cultures you are talking about in Switzerland and Masaii were drinking goat’s milk, not cow’s milk. It’s worth checking out.

106. Michelle Jackson says:

I have really enjoyed reading all of your comments, and have found convincing arguments on both sides. There are lots of different ways of looking at it, and I am still not sure which way I’m leaning to most. I lived on a dairy farm for 10 years in Australia and initially cried for the calves being taken from their mothers and the mothers grief at losing their babies, all in the name of a commercial product. the cows are intensely fed and kept in calf to produce milk for us. this was a large dairy and I drank small amounts of the “raw” milk. I would only consider raw milk to be good for you if it was from a very small herd where everything is organic and healthy pastures, mothers allowed to rear their young and natural mating. The vibration of the milk should be high if produced like this.
    Its personal choice to consume or not, moderation could be a factor. Just,please consider the farming practices from where you obtain your milk- what do they feed the cows, are they cared for or abused- I have seen violence towards cows which is appalling. Are the calves fed artificially for the sake of production? The calves are the basis of the future herd and are often ridden with scours, pnuemonia, etc.
    Its like all other food, its all in the production. Remember, also, like meat you don’t need much as it is highly concentrated.
    Try not to get caught up in the fanaticism of being healthy, after all its all about being happy where ever your at. If you go too extreme you go in a circle to end up at the other side.
    Lots of health and happiness to you all.

107. han says:

I think raw milk is healthy if they’re from grass fed beef since it contains more CLA. I think the milk will be even healthier if the cows were fed grasses grown in ocean water.
    I wonder what Ocean Grown grass fed milk would taste like?

108. Penny Powell says:

I think that raw milk is great for some people. I trust Dr. Mercola on this, although he is really out there and over the top about his beliefs. The dairy from goats and sheep makes more sense to me (and some scientists) for human consumption, because of its molecular structure. My belief is that some bodies do incredibly well with raw milk and some do not. My eldest son does great with raw milk and my youngest son seems not to. My eldest son is very robust in general, so perhaps that’s why. Yogurt is kick ass food for many people.

I am dairy free and gluten free right now and I feel great. We all just need to listen to our own bodies.

109. Laura says:

There is also an issue with the type of milk that is being used.

Cow’s milk contains six major proteins. Four are casein proteins, the other two are whey proteins. Casein proteins make up about 80 percent of the protein in cow’s milk. A type of casein called beta-casein is one of the major ones, and is itself of different kinds, depending on the genetic make-up of the cow. The most common are beta-casein A1 and beta-casein A2. Milk high in beta-casein A1 is being referred to as ‘A1 milk’ while milk high in beta-casein A2 is being called ‘A2 milk’.

Researchers Dr Murray Laugeson and Professor Emeritus Bob Elliott collected data from various sources from 20 wealthy countries and reported a significant correlation between the amount of A1 beta-casein consumed in a country and the national rate of coronary heart disease. They also found a similar correlation between A1 beta-casein consumption and the rate of childhood type 1 diabetes.

Also different breeds can produce different milk. For example Friesian cows produce mostly A1 milk, while Guernsey cows, sheep and goats produce mostly A2 milk.

110. sam says:

good lord! the cockroach story made me ill. really ill. it was one of the grossest things i have ever read.