Which Water Filter is Best for You – The Renegade Health Show Episode #66

Tuesday Jun 3 | BY |

Which water filter is best for you is a loaded question…

It depends on what is in your water for me to determine which one might work best. (And I’m not really the expert here, when it comes to water)

I’ve been lucky to talk to some incredible water experts over the last 6 months (which is how I learn best!) to get the answers that I DIDN’T know about how to get the best drinking water and the cleanest, purest water possible and share them with you.

One of the experts, Jim McMahon, taught me this lesson about water filters and how you can know what the best one is for you…

Check it out!

Your question of the day: What questions do you have about water? (I’m going to address many of them this week!)

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your question here!

This episode’s resources:

Click here to see how to get your water report online–if you have city water

If you have well water, Jim McMahon can give you a well test, or you can search online for one. Click here to visit Jim’s site.

Stay tuned for tomorrow’s episode, we’re going to be preparing an awesome, refreshing summer drink that will give some taste to your water! (We’ll also be answering your questions!)

Kevin

PS. We’re planning on answering a bunch of questions this week about water, so please stay tuned. If you want, you can continue your education about water by checking out the new Renegade Water Secrets interview series. For this series, I contacted some great experts to reveal their knowledge about water, so I could learn and I recorded all they said, so you could benefit as well!

Click here to check out Renegade Water Secrets and discover more tips and tricks to getting clean, pure drinking water!

1. Wideyed says:

I don’t think you can go past filtered/Alkalized water. Especially if you eat alot of acidic food this water will help neutralize that.

2. Heart says:

Brooklyn – NYC gooky water
    I had to give up 3 steps water filter with ceramic filter, after 2 weeks.
    The slimy “gook” I was supposed to scrub off the ceramic filter, just totaly seal shot
    the filter. The distributor took back the filter, saying, that he does not know what to do
    with the nasty slim gook that stack to the ceramic filter.
    I know that “spring” water, like poland spring, are not healthy , plastic issue etc.
    So what to do?
    Is there a filter out there to combat the rust, nasty, sticky gook and get clean water ?

3. jo says:

Do you know anything about Kangan water and if so what do you think of it. Is it an expensive scam or does it really do what it says it does.
    Thanks,
    Jo

4. rhyzome says:

hey kevin,

if you could address the issue of fluoride filtration that would be helpful, as it seems to be one of the most difficult things to remove from water. specifically i’d like your opinion on “activated alumina” fluoride filters, and how safe they are to use, since they add a bit of activated alumina while removing fluoride. distilling and reverse osmosis seem to be the only other ways to remove it. i’ve been looking at the berkey light system, a passive system to which you can attach additional alumina filters for fluoride and arsenic:

Berkley Light System

The PF-2 fluoride filters

Activated Alumina

maybe this issue came up during your discussions with the water experts? thanks in advance.

5. Janice says:

I’ve been drinking Coral Water from Japan, very tastey stuff. Supposed to be great for you, have you an opinion on this??

6. Deb says:

Hi Kev, We have been distilling our water and I’m dismayed that you would not recommend it. Is there something we could add or do to make it acceptable? Our well water literally stinks and we don’t have a fortune to invest in a water purification system.
    Luv your blog. Deb

7. Donna B says:

I had a reverse osmosis system that I also ran through my refrigerator. Because I like room temp water and seldom use the frig for water, the lines became contaminated and several family members, friends and I became sick. When I went to replace the system with a Jupiter alkaline system, I could not find a plumber that would touch it so I had to revert to a handyman. Have you heard of this before? I love my Jupiter system and can choose alkaline or acidic water with the touch of a button and can test it at any time. It even talks to me when I turn on the water!!

8. Margie Leslie says:

What about Vortex water. It is suppose to be like pure mountain water and more absorbable because the molecules are in the right order (or something like that).

9. Dr. Donna says:

Hello Kevin: I have been drinking distilled water for over thirty years. The only way viruses can be killed is through heat distillation. I have done many years of research on water and carbon filters are very benefcial for a very short period of time as bacteria builds up on the membrane, the gush of water coming through will bring some of the bacteria through with the pressure of the water. Reverse osmosis is better than a filter, but so much precious water is wasted.

Thank you for all the information. I listen to you everyday on the internet. Dr. Donna

10. Carol Kraft says:

Hi Kevin

I drink RO water from the store. Only problem is that it makes me more acidic in my urine. Spring water is better for alkalinity but I don’t trust the purity of it so my question is what would be the best system to filter and alkalinize my system?

Incidently RO water filters out over 98% of the minerals so there is only about 1% mineral content left in the water which really is not a significant amount of minerals for our bodies. I take a concentrated elemental water in aquatomic form for my mineral substitute.

11. Amie McCampbell says:

Hi Kevin, thanks for the informative shows!

I’m a college student living in an apartment and I’m wondering what the best options for water filters would be in my situation. My city water is relatively clean for tap water but does contain chlorine, fluoride, and probably pharmaceuticals and other undesirables, as most tap water does.

Whole Foods and the local health food stores sell the New Wave Enviro 10-stage countertop water filter. (This company is more well-known for their shower filters and polycarbonate water jugs.) It looks pretty good but I’ve found very few reviews online. Many sites claim that water filters aren’t reputable unless they’re NSF or ANSI certified, and the New Enviro and many similar countertop models are not. What’s your take on this? How important is this? What’s the best water filtration option if one cannot install reverse osmosis or other whole-house filtration systems? I just need clean water for washing my organic produce and boiling pasta.

Thanks!!

12. Roy Wilhite says:

I thought water was supposed to be neutral pH?
    All the waters I tested are acidic. Bottled waters, reverse osmosis…even juices from fruits.
    Is there any water filtering that will remove everything but H2O and test neutral?
    Most of us are too acidic already. I don’t think we need acidic water.
    Second question: Are waters that have a special structure to the molecules are H2O clumped together really any better or worse than others, such as Penta Water and others?

13. Vickie says:

Hi Kevin,
    I understand the negative effects of drinking distilled water but find it to be the most pure option. What is the best form of re-mineralization? I have also been consuming Penta bottled water at times but is somewhat expensive.

14. dart boe says:

To the readers and posters.
    Reverse Osmosis Water is acidic. Most water that is filtered or distilled is acidic. You can mineralize these types of water by adding Sole (Himalyan Crystal Salt), Active Ionic(www.omicahealth.com), drops to your water.
    There is also the MIRACULE water filtration system. pricey $1,500.00 but worth it when you figure your body is 80% H2O. Bottom line is that you can only trust in yourself and not the city tap water, well, spring, bottled etc. peace!!

15. Bernadette says:

Wow! Yep.. all of the questions above, and also.. what about water softeners? Are they safe and do you recommend having them or not having them?

16. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Here we go! I told you I’d answer as many of these as I can and as many as my knowledge of water extends…

Vickie, best form of remineralizing… Dr. Patrick Flanagan distills his water and adds back his Crystal Energy. This to date is the best way I’ve heard as well as the least annecdotal… since he is a water scientist… 🙂

You can start by adding some sea salts to remineralize as well.

Penta is nice, but I’d be concerned about the plastic. I’m not convinced that bottled water is a great alternative to a filter or system.

I also find it hard to believe that through heat and transport and shipping that the Penta water retains ALL the benefits from the “patented process that spins the water under high pressure and speed for 11 hours.” 😉

Roy: I really don’t think there’s enough science out there to determine whether the H20 clumped together or magnetized are going to prolong life for any longer periods of time. I would like to think that that what I hear is true, but the studies are few and far between and generally linked to a product.

Pure water is scientifically a nuetral pH of 7.0. But it’d be rare (if not impossible) to find this in nature (when water was clear of pesticides). Spring waters are alkaline because of the minerals absorbed in them. This to me would indicate that we’re supposed to be drinking LOW alkaline solutions of water.

Amie: Mike Adams recommends the Aquasana filter in a case like this. He talks about it in the Renegade Water Secrets program. I respect the research he does on companies, so I’d consider this. It’s relatively inexpensive as well…

Carol: I’d look into options about how to remineralize your RO filtered water and continue to test your urine. Have you done pH testing on a regular basis to track when you’re drinking the water and make sure you’re eating the same exact things as well? I’d love to know! This could effect your results greatly!

Dr. Donna: Thanks so much for your comments 🙂

Carbon filters do need to be replaced frequently!

None of the people I spoke with for the project (since it was in a way my own learning process as well) highly recommended distillation. Jim McMahon talks about it in conjunction with a UV filter for your tank, which I think is very important to kill off bacteria that build up.

And, yes, RO does waste water!

Margie: About vortex water, I’m going to yield to the above answer, that I don’t think there’s enough study. I also am going to add this comment… marketers and business people are sharp. It is there role to make you believe (many of them with great intentions) that their product is something that is absolutely necessary.

I’d consider Vortex water if you’re interested in experimenting and have the money to burn. I’d much rather get everyone on a simple filter than think that they need to spin and magnetize as well 🙂

Deb: See my comments above for Dr. Donna and Vickie… if you UV it and you remineralize I think you’ll find you’re doing pretty good!

Rhyzome: I use one of these filters as part of our 3 tier system. RO and Distilled is the only way to get rid of all of these aluminum residues, but the incidence of them are extremely low.

Janice: The carbon imprint to get that water here from Japan is pretty intense. One of the reasons we stopped buying Fiji water when we were hiking. I don’t know much about it, but I’d consider finding a good source closer or just getting a filtration system, you’ll save a bunch on cash in the long run!

Jo: Kangen Water… I personally think the system is way to expensive and that you can find similar for much less. 🙂

Heart: The nasty gook seems to me like it’s an overgrowth issue of bacteria or mold… I don’t think much else would accumulate in the way you describe it. I don’t know for sure. Did you try hydrogen peroxide to clean it and see what happened? Need to know more before I suggest anything else!

Hope this helps!

(Shameless plug…) I’d suggest checking out the Renegade Water Secrets product and see if it’s something that may help!

17. Bernadette says:

Yep.. all of the above, and also.. what about water softeners? Are they safe and do you recommend having them or not having them?

18. Jill says:

Would like your comments on drinking colloidal silver water. It appears to be quite controversial but I found it highly effective when I had bronchial asthama.

19. Bruce says:

Kevin,

You can’t talk about healthy water without talking about alakaline water, i.e. water ph, which can be tested with ph solutions and a ph solution chart.

Here are my questions i would like you to address:

1) How do I get alakaline water without spending $1500 on a machine? Nevermind that I don’t want to spend over $200.
    2) How do I get rid of the fluoride, again with the same parameters as question #1.
    3) I live in an apartment, and love to take long hot baths, what can I do to takeout the chlorine, fluoride, and other undesirables.
    4) Can you reccomend and all around “water tester kit” at a decent cost, and all the variables/criteria we should be looking for in ‘good water’.

Bruce

20. Bernadette says:

Hi Kevin,

Just wanted to thank you, first of all, because without this show, I never would have looked in the phone book to see what water companies we have here, and I found a really neat place that just opened recently called ‘Water Central’. We’re going to check it out on Saturday. They have whole house reverse osmosis systems and I believe the website said we can rent to own or lease them so we can stick to a small monthly cost for a while.

I, too, would like to know what the 3 tier system is you are using and also… my husband is allergic to chlorine so its really important that we get the chlorine out of the water as it enters the house because it affects his hands when he washes them in any of the sinks. I’m guessing the whole house reverse osmosis system is what we need. Can you let me know if I am right about that.

Also.. if we can add minerals back to the water we are drinking, is there such thing as a whole house distillation system and is that a better choice because it gets rid of bacteria as well? I really don’t know much about water filters at all.

Bernadette

21. James Thomas says:

Awesome Kevin… nail these a..holes. I don’t know who these people are, but they definitely need to get their head screwed on straight. There are plenty more internet scams like this for us to expose.

22. Bernadette says:

Hi Kevin,

We went to see about the water filter systems today and there are some pretty cool systems out there. My water softener is almost 20 years old and the new ones are so sleek and compact.. with lots of toys, like a digital display and converter.. wow! 🙂 ,carbon filters that are backwashed and don’t need changing for the lifetime of the unit. You can get potassium salts now instead of sodium and pellets that are really clean instead of the old sodium rocks and you can rent them for around $30 a month.

I also found out that the reverse osmosis unit sits under you sink and is just for the kitchen, but some can go to 3 rooms instead of one. Also, changing filters in the new ECO system doesn’t even require turning the water off.

I’m still a little partial to what I’ve heard about the Jupiter system for the kitchen though. It is about half the price of the Kangen unit and I’ve heard it is better. I like the idea of being able to choose between acid and alkaline water right at the tap. That’s pretty advanced.

Bernadette

23. Max Spiers says:

please read the science
    everything kevin says is true and when it comes to the other things…well, have a read…

great work kev

24. Bobbie says:

I bought a reverse osmosis filter for the kitchen for Christmas and my husband and I appreciate the cleanness of the water that comes from it. I am wary of the lack of minerals in RO water, so I continue to make tea infusions, which is pretty much the only liquid I consume.

I read in an amazing health food book, can’t remember which one, but it recommended adding either 1/4 or 1/2 tsp of calcium to the water in order to bond with the floride rendering it harmless. The water is a cloudy white afterward.

I also agree with the addition of himalayan rock salt to the water to remineralize it.

When you think about it, spring water gets its minerals from rocks and decomposing leaves. I’ve also heard about a method to make moon water by putting water in a clear class pitcher and placing a stone in the water leaving it in the moonlight all night. This can help with the rock mineralizing the water.

Don’t forget sun tea. Sun tea is great source of sunkissed minerals!

25. Lori says:

I was wonder about the differences between reverse osmosis water and kanga water. Is either one better for you?

26. I have been drinking Evian water for years, and its a great

If i had the money i would buy a reverse osmosis water softener though