80-10-10, High Fat, High Carb, Raw, Vegan, Low Carb… Which Diet is Right for Me – The Rengade Health Show Episode #61

Tuesday May 27 | BY |

I know, it sounds like a mouthful…

I get this question all the time. Which diet is best for me?

80-10-10? High fat? Low carb? All raw? No raw? All vegan? Vegetarian? All fruit? No fruit? High carb?

The reason why all these diets may be the solution for some people is that we’re all a little different and our digestive and other bodily systems are all in different stages of functionality.

So this video will give you the advice you need to determine which diet is right for you… finally.

(There might be more than one, so watch and see…)

Your question of the day: What is your favorite “wild” food? (Of course they’re all technically wild, but which one can you pick in your backyard that you love to eat?)

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and add your comment!

Kevin

1. Laurel says:

Honeysuckle and wild blackberries, yummmm

2. Terri says:

Raspberries–I didn’t plant them, they grow from runners out of my neighbor’s yard, now I have enough for me and my family!

3. Annie says:

Wow, was I happy to see this! Thanks for the information, as always.
    My favorite wild food is dandelion leaves. They’re easy to identify and they’re literally everywhere. You just have to make sure they haven’t been sprayed!!

4. Jenn says:

It’s nice to hear someone say exactly what you did, eat for what works for YOU (as long as people know what that is/means).

My favorite things so far are berries. Doesn’t matter blueberries, raspberries or strawberries just whatever is in season.

I loved the mouse 🙂 I think I will look into one of those walks once school gets out next month. Great idea if it’s local(CT/NY)

5. Jos says:

Dandelion leaves and blackberries gathered in fields far away from the roads. When I go in France to visit my family, then my favorite wild foods during the fall is wild mushrooms (chanterelle, cepes [boletus]).

6. ccd says:

i forage for blackberries in my yard. i wish i could identify other plants that are ok to eat. thanks for the advice.

7. Celia says:

thanks for the diet info – that really helped – there’s no ‘right’ way – just whatever’s right for each of us – whew !
    favorite wild green : young nettles – NOT raw of course !!! – steamed – mmmmmmm
    you need rubber gloves and scissors to pick them – sometimes you can get away with just using a brown paper bag with the edges folded down and scissors – but you have to be SO careful not to get stung. it’s worth it though – – just take the top couple of inches off the plant. the young ones are best – next year !

8. Sparrow says:

that mousie was soooooooooo cute!

My favorite backyard food was lamb’s quarters, but since I moved out West I haven’t seen it anywhere and haven’t found a plant out here I love as much.

I’m sure everyone already knows what lamb’s quarters are, but in case someone out there doesn’t, here’s the wikipedia entry:

Click here

Wikipedia says it can be steamed or cooked like spinach, but I never tried it that way – just plucked the leaves and ate them fresh.
    (It was news to me to see that it’s related to quinoa!)

9. sarah says:

mulberries and chickweed in the spring
    pecans in the fall

10. Dede says:

Well — my favorite wild food are the mushrooms from our woods (I’ve already sent you my “bragging pictures” 🙂 ) – they have an amazing flavor.
    And I think part of the reason they taste sooooo good is this…. you can mushroom hunt in the woods for hours – and maybe find 3 mushrooms – or 23 – or sometimes none – but either way, you’ve had a terrific afternoon. Know what I mean??

And, your point on finding the right diet in on the money.

As always, Kevin – great video!!!

11. Elaine says:

Hi, Kevin… enjoyed your pictures today. Right now here in Arkansas I am picking plantain, lamb’s quarters, violet leaves, dandelion, clover and curly dock to put into my green smoothies. It’s all free right from my back yard! How cool is that?

12. meredith says:

I have a question. My daughter is 20 and getting interested in the choices she has about her health and products she chooses to use. For a female, skin products are a big deal. Could you do a show on safe skin products to use and some guidelines to follow when buying.
    Thank you Kevin. My daughter and I watch your video every day and love your style. I’ll be seeing you in Sedona!
    Meredith

13. Ginger says:

my favorite? its those little wild red strawberries you can sometimes find in the grass. They are so much fun to find and eat. My friend saw me eat one once and he thought I was crazy!

14. Carolyn says:

My favorite wild food is definitely chickweed. Or maybe garlic mustard. Hmm. I think I’ll go with chickweed. Its such a beautiful little plant too with those tiny white star flowers. Any wild salad needs to be dressed with chickweed! Its a very soothing and calming plant too, keeps the body happy. 🙂

15. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Claudia, I think Steve may come up towards you this summer… here’s his website so you can take a look…

Dede, I will still post the pictures 😉

Meredith, great question! We will address this in an upcoming show, I think everyone will benefit from it.

Sparrow, the mouse was for you! I remember your comments on the Flickr pic of the mouse, so when I was filming it, I thought you’d get a kick out of it!

Elaine, free is definitely cool! 🙂

16. Ann says:

Just discovered eating the light green new growth on pine trees. Taste kind of lemony. Make a great sun tea. Good in smoothies.

17. Noga Fisher says:

Rosemary grows almost wild in huge bushes here in Efrat. In January-April the nettles and other wild greens are everywhere – I keep a set of gardening gloves in the car and get them for my smoothies.

18. Alicia says:

Foraging Tour! How freakin cool is that! You guys get all the cool shtuff up in the NY tri-state area!

I live in an apt. now so I can’t say that I can pick anything off my backyard… mainly because I don’t have one. 😛 Though, once and a while I do get to eat Pepinos Del Monte (wild, spiny cucumbers) that my mother still gets from the fields in South Texas. http://www.backyardnature.net/yucatan/cucumber.htm

This topic reminded me that growing up, we had a peach tree in our front yard and my grandmother next door had an orange tree.

My fondest memory though is of my grandparent’s Mulberry tree. As kids we would climb the tree and spend hours picking and eating the Mulberries. We’d end up purple from head to toe before mom called for us to come indoors.

Oh my goodness and I almost forgot about the fiery peppers we called Chile Pitin (Chiltepin)! I curiously (of course) put one in my mouth as a child and thought I would never feel my mouth again! LOL

Thanks for jogging those great memories!

19. ida margrethe says:

neat video, kevin! good too see some nature about.
    when im at home (norway) i love to go wandering about in the forest, harvesting whatever comes my wy (well actually, i come the plants way..)
    Love berries, all sorts of berries.
    and mushrooms.. and im very found of nettle aswell – either as a soup or tea or in other things.
    its all good, and i miss the woods at home. where i live now (australia), i have no idea whats eadible around here..

20. sebastiano Picciuca says:

my favorite wild food is puffball mushrooms and red clover blossoms

21. lisa says:

thanks kevin, i just got back from vacation. it was hard to find things that suited my diet and the people i was with. without having to eat a salad at every meal. i just went with what i know and have learned. it went well. and i felt great the whole time. also, my favorite thing to eat out of the back yard is sugar snap peas. here in south dakota we have a while before they come up… but, they don’t stay long.. thanks again

lisa

22. Linda Salas says:

Purslane!!! good tasteing fleshy purslane!

23. helen says:

Russian Kale in a green smoothie is terrific, try it.

24. Vicki says:

I often use a few chemical free rose petals to quickly add color and brighten up a green salad!

25. del says:

One of my favorite is violets flowers and leaves in my salad. They are so beautiful, delicious and incredible nutritious.

26. DELANEY says:

Great advice. I wish I would have followed this three years ago when I first stumbled on raw foods. Nice episode, Kevin.

27. John says:

Black walnuts from my black walnut tree!!! I make walnut butter, raw pie crust, raw bread crumbs, and plain walnuts! Great source of omega 3 in my own backyard 🙂 I still haven’t found the golden diet for me yet. I’m giving the 80 10 10 diet a go right now, and am curious about high fat diets.

28. Amy Bass says:

I just started doing 80/10/10 on the 18th of January. My favorite fruit is Bananas by far. They are my staple. I have been blogging about my raw journey on my blog – My Health Goal.