A Trick and a Toolbox for Healthy Eating – The Renegade Health Show Episode #60

Monday May 26 | BY |

This is one of the those things…

If you do it, you will eat healthy for a long, long time.

If you don’t, you’ll continue to struggle with your eating habits. How do I know? Because when we started doing this, it changed the way we ate and prepared meals. Simple as that…

I know it will help you…

Your question of the day: What is your favorite recipe?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and add yours so someone else may be able to add a great meal to their toolbox!

Kevin

PS. When you get your toolbox together, snap a picture and send it to kevin (at) renegadehealth.com 🙂

1. Jacqueline Michaud says:

What a great idea Kevin!
    I am new to raw food…but I would like to incorporate it more to my diet. Currently trying to build a repertoire of easy simple raw recipes…started with breakfast. Here is my favorite to date:

dried food compote with nut milk:

Simply soak a selection of favorite dried fruits (I use abt 3/4 mixed dried apricots, prunes and raisins) in abt 1 1/2 c. of water overnight. Drain and add your favorite nut milk (I use almond) to cover. Yummy!

(Karen Knowler) from Fréderic Patenaude’s Instant Raw Sensations cookbook.

Jacqueline

2. Carol says:

Kevin,
    Recently you had a show with a friend of yours that has a little store that sells raw food. He made a killer cacao little cookie of sorts. I made it and it got great reviews, however I can not find the recipe or the show. Can you help me out. Many friends loved those.
    Just need to let you know you have the best site I have seen for awhile, so much information.
    Thank you…..

3. Colleen says:

I Got this recipe off of you tube this is from Any Phio

Donut Holes

1cup almonds soaked and dehydrated
    ¼ tsp sea salt
    ½ vanilla bean
    1cup-pitted dates soaked
    1cup-dehydrated pineapples
    3 tbsp coconut
    3tbsp coconut to roll the donut holes in

Coarsely chop dried almonds and sea salt in a food processor then Place pitted dates pineapple coconut vanilla bean in a bowl
    Mix by hand together add chopped nuts mix together again then roll little pieces into a ball then roll it in the coconut or ground up walnuts.
    Remember always soak and dehydrate seeds and nuts.

Colleen

4. Anna says:

Hi,
    I love your sweet little gray kitty! What is its name again? How cute that they wanted to be part of the show 🙂
    So, I don’t really have a favorite recipe. I love experimenting though and I can’t wait to see what everyone else decides to share, because I need more recipes to play with.
    I’ll just tell you what I’m eating right now which is what I pretty much eat everyday:
    Its a Green Salad:
    Base of Spring Greens/Romaine-chopped
    Some Dill-chopped
    1/2 to 3/4 Bell Pepper (I prefer orange/yellow) chopped
    1 or 1/2 (depending on size) of Avocado-sliced
    *Garlic Powder
    *Onion Powder
    *Burdock Root Powder
    A little Celtic Salt to taste
    Juice of 1 Lemon
    About 2Tbsp. of Olive Oil
    A few slivers of Raw Almonds sprinkled on top
    *All spice powders are all natural and non-irradiated.
    Toss and Enjoy!
    I never get tired of this salad…
    And guess what, I just made your Basil Pesto Sauce today – Delicious!
    ~Anna

5. Lindy says:

Hi Kevin!
    For once, I’m a step ahead. I started a binder with Annmarie’s third show. I’m going to add “time” to the upper righthand corner of each recipe. There may come a day when I flip through to find a recipe that will fit into a specific time frame.

Since I am single, I tend to select what I’m going to eat by flavor and my mood. The Mexican and Italian type foods are my favs.

Thanks for the recent info on buying organic foods. I had often wondered if what I was buying was really organic.

Your videos are so helpful. What you and Annmarie are doing is awesome!

Thank-you, thank-you,
    Lindy

6. linda says:

i just make a variety of different
    vegan soups and can them in quart jars
    once or twice a month.. vegetable is one of my most loved. i have stopped using potatoes in it and just cook up some brown rice when
    i am heating the soup so i can add that to the soup when it is hot. this way when i am rushed or do not have time to cook or want to order that pizza i have an instant dinner
    that doesn’t take long… you can also let it cool and freeze it..fast and easy and delicious. now i really make a huge pot of soup so i have many qt jars canned at a time.
    right now i have potato leek in the fridge and 3 frozen vegetable soup in the freezer.

7. Jennie says:

Gosh! Favourite recipe? I have so many! My favourite at the moment is Neet’s Pudding written by a forum member at Raw-Pleasure.com.au. (feel free to remove link if you prefer it not to be there)

3 tablespoons of chia soaked in the juice of 1/2 a lemon and a cup of water… stir then allow to sit for at least 15 minutes

5-7 apples chopped
    1-2 pears chopped

Put the apples, pears and chia mix in your blender. If you have a vitamix then an added vanilla bean is great in this too. I add the whole bean.

Blend until fairly smooth. Add two handfuls of baby spinach or cos lettuce (I think it’s called romaine lettuce in the States) and blend again until smooth.

Pour into a large bowl and top with a couple of handfuls of berries. Yummers. This is my fave lunch at the moment. I’ve had it daily for a couple of weeks.

It’s also nice without chia and with bananas or with 1/2 a t of cinnamon added.

Enjoy!!!

8. stacy says:

Kevin, I have the same little pile of recipe papers you and AnnMarie have….who would have thought to put them into a neat notebook! haha.

I make this “Peanut Sauce” every week and put it on everything…
    1 cup raw almond butter
    1/2 cup water or more to thin the dressing
    4 T. fresh lemon juice
    2 T. fresh ginger
    1/4 cup pure maple syrup
    3 T. Nama Shoyu or Bragg’s Amino Acids
    3 cloves of garlic
    1/2 serrano pepper
    4 T. cold pressed Sesame oil

blend in Vita Mix and enjoy!
    Stacy Stowers

9. Bernadette says:

Hi to all,

My favorite raw recipe is still kale salad. We have it at least once a week. You can find the recipe and a demo on youtube (Karen Knowler) but the ingredient amounts may be a little different. This is what works for me:

1 bunch of kale leaves, chopped (about 3-4 cups)
    Add a 1/2 tsp of Himalayan sea salt and
    1 TB of olive oil.
    Massage into the kale with your hands.

Add 1/2 an avocado and again massage into the kale with your hands.
    Add the juice of 1/2 a lemon.

Add 1 chopped tomato and
    3-4 chopped green onions

Add 1-2 TB of raisins or dried cranberries (optional)

This recipe is a huge hit at dinner parties, raw or not… but you will be winning people over to the raw side with this one!!

Also, another helpful way to use dividers in your (un)cookbook toolbox is to set them up as Appetizers, Salads, Main, Dessert and Beverages. If you use 10 dividers instead of 5, you can also subcategorize the above. For example, instead of Beverages, you can use Smoothies as one and Juices as another. You can subdivide Main into Breakfasts, Soups, Salads, Wraps… and you can add other categories such as Sauces, etc…

Best of Wishes,
    Bernadette

10. Sara says:

Hey Kevin,

Interestingly enough- I had already employed that very idea about a year ago for all the raw recipes I loved. I also went the further step of putting dividers to separate categories- like juice recipes, raw soups, raw salads, raw dehydrated dishes, raw desserts. And I’ve begun adding comments to the recipes I’ve found online if I felt something needed modification or I didnt like so if I didnt like the recipe as well- I knew not to try it again.

As for favs:

Fav raw snack:

Jicama “french fries”

Slice 1lb. jicama so it looks like fries.

Combine in bowl with:
    1 T onion powder
    2 T olive oil
    *sea salt to taste
    1 T paprika

New Fav Salad Recipe I found:

Fennel Delights by Frédéric Patenaude

3 cups of fennel, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup chopped parsley
    1 yellow pepper, diced
    1 celery rib, diced
    1/2 avocado, diced
    2 Tbs. olive oil
    6-8 sundried tomatoes, soaked and chopped

Soak the sundried tomatoes in advance for at least one hour. Mix all of the ingredients and be prepared for something delicious!

Fav Raw Soup recipe:

Fav Raw Dessert:

Key Lime Mousse- only three ingredients! Avocado, lime juice, and raw honey:)

11. Alicia says:

Great idea Kevin! Additionally you can add sheet protectors to the binder so the recipes don’t get stained or torn and it saves you the step of punching holes. 🙂

My favorite super fast breakfast recipe is Muesli.

Soak a cup of oats with goji berries and whatever nuts you like overnight. (I soak mine in the fridge) Drain and rinse in the morning and viola, instant breakfast! You can add a little bit of agave nectar or maple syrup if you want it sweeter or nut milk for variation. 🙂

Alicia

12. Kyle Battis says:

Hey Kevin,

Great show today and a great tip…

I think your Cat is hungry though. 🙂

My Fiance and I have been collecting healthy recipes like this for a while and it works well.

Kyle Battis

13. amy says:

My favourite recipe is a raw version of peanut butter, when I quite dislike normal peanut butter,
    2 spoons tahini,
    2 spoons raw almond butter,

It tastes like peanut butter but for some strange reason I like it so much more than the ones that actually have peanuts in them.

I love that cat as well!

Building up the toolbox on my pc, picture of the desktop? 😛

14. Kazzrie says:

Hello Kevin:

I also have a binder but it’s chock full of ALL the recipes I’ve collected over the past 2 years so I’ll create a 2nd smaller binder with just my favourites.

TIP: Put all the pages into plastic sheet protectors. Splash and spillage proof!

😉

~ kazzrie ~

15. Vicky White says:

Great show Kevin,

I started writing my favorite recipes on 3″ x 5″ cards and I put an elastic band around them – great for travelling – makes it easier to remind myself of my favorite easy recipes when surrounded by others who may be eating other things.

Cards are pretty handy at home too – I like simple and compact!

16. Gurutej Khalsa says:

Always great to be organized!

Thus us a neat recipe if you’re trying to eat more raw because you can make it really rich and satisfying or more light.

Raw corn salad

Cut corn from two ears and process 5 or six
    seconds to break kernels so flavors blend
    Two green onions chopped
    Handful of cilantro chopped
    1/4 cup sliced black olives
    Avacado to taste. For really filling,
    rich salad, two, for less rich, one, or none for light.

17. Great way to keep your fat burning recipes handy. Ryan Lee uses a similar system to keep organized all of the information products, reports, books. etc. he has collected over the years.

Btw, KG, you seem to have some sort of dirt on your right shoulder. You might need to take another shower 😉

18. Signe says:

I make a green salad with baby lettuce and spinach from the garden and add micro greens I grow in a big pot, plus lots of fresh herbs – usually dill, cilantro, parsley, and mint. To this I add any veggies I have on hand from the garden or the market – these days I usually use English cucumbers, red peppers, radishes, green onions with tops, raw asparagus and edible podded peas, all sliced or chopped rather fine. I like to top the salad with soaked sunflower seeds or green pumpkin seeds (found in the Mexican section of the grocery). The pumpkin seeds are great raw but I like to heat them in a dry cast iron pan for a minute until they puff up and then add a DROP of olive oil and salt to them. The pumpkin seeds are also a great snack when I crave something salty.
    The dressing I love is made from freshly squeezed lemon juice into which I dissolve a little dijon mustard, a tablespoon or more of honey and a little olive oil. I also like to add a head of roasted garlic to the dressing! I like this for breakfast and lunch – I can’t get too much of it!

19. Lauren says:

Guacamole Burritos

I. Love. Burritos. And I hope you will agree that this recipe
    quells the burrito craving fairly well.

4 avocados
    2 tomatoes, cut into slices

20. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Carol, Glen’s recipe is Episode #30 🙂

Lauren, don’t know what’s happening here. Why don’t you send the recipe to kevin (at) liveawesome (dot) com and I’ll post it up. Put “Recipe for Website” in the headline.

Kyle, I wish the cat was hungry, he meows in his sleep… seriously 🙂

JLAB, I didn’t get the dirt comment at first, but then realized you were talking about the tattoo… LOL!

Thanks to everyone for contributing your recipes! They’re awesome, we’ll have to prep them in the next couple of weeks!

21. kanti says:

Kanti’s Incredible Beet Salad
    1 grated beet
    1 chopped avocado
    1 chopped mango
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts (soaked then dehydrated are best but not nec.)
    Toss with the juice of one lemon and Moan!

22. Rena says:

I do the organization thing with a twist. Instead of making copies of the recipes I particularly like in my recipe books, I highlight the recipe in the index. Then in my loose-leaf binder (which has the recipes I have collected from on-line (a ton of them)) I have dividers for the type of recipe (ie, salad, soup, breads, desserts, etc). Just behind each divider I have a page that is divided into columns: Recipe book title, page no., Recipe name, comments. Then I enter on to the appropriate sheet the recipe I highlighted. Now when I want a particular salad or entree or something I go to that page in my binder and then can go directly to the correct recipe book. I hope that makes sense.

A recipe I like is a carrot beet salad:

grate 2 beets
    grate 4-6 carrots
    1 small can crushed pineapple, un-drained
    1 small can pineapple chunks, drained, chopped fine
    1 c raisins
    Mix well. It’s better the next day when the raisins have had a chance to soak up some of the juices and plump up.

23. That cat is CRAZY man! 🙂

Carrie and I did this about a year ago with recipes we like, and it has made a BIG difference in not going out and/or having the whole

“What do you want for dinner?”

“I don’t know. What do you want?”

Our eating habits have changed a bit in the last year though, so it’s probably time to add some new recipes to the list.

GREAT idea!

Though not a RAW recipe, (and maybe not even the healthiest recipe) this is one of my favorites (It’s actually a Rachel Ray recipe with some minor modifications)…

Jonathan
    ————-

Mini Cheeseburger Salad

1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin or ground turkey
    1/4 cup finely chopped onion, eyeball it
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons steak seasoning blend or coarse salt and ground black pepper
    Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
    1/2 pound brick sharp Cheddar (optional)
    3 large hearts romaine lettuce
    1 cup sliced pickles, drained – choose from sweet or dill varieties
    1 cup cherry/grape tomatoes

Dressing:
    3 tablespoons yellow mustard
    2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it
    2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
    1/4 small red bell pepper, finely chopped

Preheat a grill pan or a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat or, preheat outdoor grill.

Combine the meat with onion, Worcestershire and steak seasoning or salt and pepper. Form 2-inch meatballs, then flatten them into patties. Drizzle formed mini patties with extra-virgin olive oil to keep them from sticking to cooking surface.

Slice the brick of cheese into small then pieces. Place patties into a preheated pan or grill pan or arrange on outdoor grill. Cook the mini burgers for 3 minutes on each side then add cheese to melt over patties. On outdoor grill, close the lid to melt cheese. In a skillet or on a grill pan, tent the mini cheeseburgers loosely with foil (or just with the pan lid) to melt the cheese.

Coarsely chop romaine and combine with sliced pickles and halved cherry or grape tomatoes.

Whisk together the mustard and cider vinegar. Stream in the extra-virgin olive oil. Add the chopped chives and pimentos, stir to combine. Drizzle the prepared yellow mustard over the completed dish.

Arrange mini cheeseburgers on salad.

Yummy!

24. Vicki says:

I like to juice together a head of red cabbage (cut in small wedges) and a large bunch of purple grapes. I then dilute this with filtered tap water until its volume is doubled. This is best served chilled, and leftovers should be refrigerated. To me, this tastes surprisingly similar to a grape flavored powered sugary drink many of us may had been exposed to as children!

25. Lynda says:

Kevin love the show!!!
    I have the worlds best spinach salad!!
    It has quickly become a favorite with friends and family hope you enjoy it too!
    (The proportions may vary.)

One large bag of baby spinach.
    About a pound of sliced strawberries
    one half cup of sliced almond(add more if you like).
    dressing:
    ½ cup of olive oil(extra-virgin)
    ¼ cup sugar
    ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
    ½ tsp finely chopped onion
    ¼ tsp paprika
    Mix all the ingredients together(I put them in a jar and shake) and pour over the spinach,strawberries and almonds.

Not only is this yummy but it is also a pretty looking salad that is quick and easy.

Enjoy,
    Lynda

26. breet hill says:

Can you provide more information on this?

27. HoineDiersl says:

Great post but wish it was longer!