How to Sprout Buckwheat, Oats and Sunflower Seeds – The Renegade Health Show Episode #57

Wednesday May 21 | BY |

Another question answered with this show…

Annmarie is going to show you how to sprout buckwheat, oats and sunflower seeds so you (and we) can make raw granola.

The granola is next week’s in the kitchen, the sprouting begins here!

Go ahead, watch and learn…

Your question of the day: What other grains do you want to see sprouted, or what grains have you sprouted?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and add your comment!

Kevin

PS. A special thanks to Linda Wooliever and Nomi Shannon for this episode. Annmarie has perfected her sprouting technique with Nomi’s help and Linda provided the nut mylk bag for sprouting… you can check out Nomi’s site here and Linda’s here.

1. Laurel says:

Hey Kevin and Anmarie!

Thanks for the video, I’ve been a little overwhelmed with sprouting lately. This was helpful. I’d like to see rice sprouted. I’ve tried it a few times and I’m not sure if I have the right kind or if I’m doing it right.

Laurel

2. Dede says:

Hi Kevin and Annemarie……..

WOW – – totally brand NEW process to me – – I can’t wait to see what you DO with sprouted seeds next week 🙂

VERY fun stuff 🙂 – – Dede

3. Rev Bob says:

I have sprouted buckwheat grouts and sunflower seeds, but never oat, so I found this very interesting. Looking forward to the granola.

4. Jenn says:

Good information(as always) but I am wondering if you can give some more information on what type of grains overall you can sprout. Are there specific brands or can you just use what is in bins at natural foods store?

Looking forward to the granola recipe 🙂
    ~Jenn

5. Ray says:

Totally awesome video lol. I’ve never tried sprouting. The nice guy I buy wheatgrass from usually throws in some free sprouts with my order. I love them on wraps with hummus & cherry tomatoes :9

6. Irina says:

Hi Kevin and Annemarie,
    Thank you for this demonstration, I really wanted to know what is the right way to sprout, and there it is-the whole process. I’ve sprouted sunflower seeds and mung beans before, now thanks to you I am going after oats and buckwheat, and I can do it the right way! Looking forward to the granola demonstration.

7. rhyzome says:

hey kevin and/or annmarie,

what are your feelings about eating sprouted grains raw? while i will eat a bowl of soaked groatmeal once in awhile, i’ve always kinda went with sproutman’s advice on sprouted grains. i went looking through his book “Sprouts: The Miracle Food” for the relevant quotes and found these in the section “Digesting Sprouted Beans: To Cook or Not to Cook?”:

“Grains such as wheat, rye, oat, millet, barley and corn are too hard to digest raw unless they are sprouted to the green or “grass” stage.”

“Soft wheat sprouts are relatively easy to digest and may be eaten raw as snacks or mixed with dried fruit in small quantities. Again, we do not normally consume raw grain and sprouted grain is not much different. It still needs some cooking to be completely digestible. Baking sprouted grain for sprout bread, however, can be accomplished at temperatures much lower than standard bread.”

“In summary, grains or big beans, should be cooked for optimum digestibility whenever consumed regularly or in quantity.” (all quotes from pg. 112)

sproutman seems to say a similar thing about small beans like sprouted lentils, adzukis, and mung beans, that it’s ok to eat small quantities of these sprouts raw, but if you’re eating them in large quantities or regularly, you should cook them somehow. buckwheat wasn’t on this list, not sure if it’s in a different category. kevin, i know you mentioned a few weeks ago that you were eating a lot of sprouted and soaked grains, so i wanted to see what your thoughts on this issue might be.

also, where are you getting raw oats from? most oat groats at the store are briefly cooked so they don’t rot, they get soft when soaked overnight, but i’ve never tried sprouting them. the sprout house appears to sell raw oats, but i’m not sure if they really are:

8. Anna says:

Hi, Great show yet again! I too am very interested in the sprouting process. I have sprouted many a grain when I first went raw and then I just stopped eating grains altogether for the last couple of years. However you have inspired me to try them again because they are so versatile when making things like granola 🙂 It seems there is so much discrepancy on sprouting times though that it can get a little confusing. I believe it also depends on the quality of the grains and seeds and if they are even sprout-able in the first place.
    Two questions…I couldn’t tell if the sunflower seeds you were using were hulled or not? I thought un-hulled sunflower seeds were the only ones able to sprout.
    Also, where do you buy your grains? I am curious where to purchase truly raw grains.
    Thanks and can’t wait to tune in next week for the granola!
    Anna

9. Tanya says:

Annmarie is beautiful, and her hair is so lovely and glossy.

Like the above poster I’m a little wary of sprouting grains . . . but it’s partly not knowing what to do with them. Granola sounds great, but I don’t have a dehydrator 🙁

I have these great go-sprout sprouters, which produce perfect sprouts every time without rinsing: http://www.ethicaljuicers.co.uk/sprouter_gosprout.php

10. Catherine Clark says:

We sprout mung beans with lentils on top to weight the mungs; they seem to sprout better this way. In the winter we put them in the dehydrator on the lowest temp and they really sprout fast that way! We use a go-sprouter, but we found that they sprout faster when rinsed, so we still rinse in the go-sprouter, which is what we use for the mungs & lentils. We use mason jars for all other sprouts; DH fashioned screens for the insides of the lids and it works very well for us using the dish drainer after the rinsing process is over – we just turn the screen side down so that any excess water drains out. We have had no mold problems at all, but find that sunny seeds have the shortest shelf life of any other sprouts.

11. Steve says:

Graet video! Thanks. I have always bought my sprouts in the past, but now I think I will try it at home.

12. cheryl says:

Keven hi i love your show. i have celiac.and cant have oats and such . what else can i use in the ganola.

13. Denise says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie, Great show! Now all I need to do is find where to buy these grains. I see Rhyzome has given a web site to purchase and I’ll check that next. I would also like to see rice and how about barley? I am very excited about seeing the next cooking show and the granola! You guys are so upbeat and positive and you really make my day! I do not feel so alone with my own quest for better health through nutrition. Thank you, Denise.

14. Julie says:

Hey…. great video! could you write some of this stuff down? and send it out in your e-mails? so that i could print it out? I love the fact that you have decided to just do this.
    Thanks

15. Jeanne says:

Hi Kevin and AnnMarie,
    So nice to see your smilin’ faces! I appreciate the work you’ve put into this endeavor on our behalf.
    I have a comment for Cheryl above: I received an Email from Kevin the other day that had a Doctor Richard DiCenso on it. I think it was a partial interview, in which he said it was possible to reverse celiac disease. Sounds amazing! But if I had such a harsh, debilitating disease, I’d do most anything to rid myself of it. I’d spit on a spark plug if it came with a guarantee. You may be interested in persuing it…
    Jeanne SDR

16. texmex says:

I sprout brocoli which gives a mild taste sprout. I have tried leek and it is too strong. I put them in smoothies or salads, but get bored with them after a month. So they are in my kitchen every 2 or 3 months or so-

17. BarbaraG says:

Kevin and Annmarie,
    Thank you for this video. You make it look very easy. I recently tried sprouting spelt and it molded and fermented. I’m not sure what I did wrong. I used a new sprouter I had purchased, but it doesn’t look like yours. I’m guessing the water did not get drained off enough. Keep up the good work! These videos are very helpful.
    Barbara

18. May says:

Kevin and Annmarie,
    Thanks for showing how to do the sprouting! I will definitely give it a try.
    however, just wanna confirm again that the sprouting time for buckwheat and sunflower is about 2 days and within that 2 days, we have to spray some water on it?
    Thanks again!
    May

19. Toni Cory says:

I sprout all kinds of grains AND I eat ALOT of MEAT!!! I am very healthy. I am a proud 54 year old. I look 30. Eat meat, fish and fowl, live long and healthy!

20. Ana says:

Great video AnnMarie+Kevin, could you please give me some detailed advice for soaking rice to eat it raw?
    I tried soaking it for 24 hours, but it was very chewy, ..I even tried adding a bit of water and lemon to see if that way it would marinate its way to a softer version, but it just didn´t happen.
    Any feedback would be appreciated.
    many thanks in advance. take care

21. Diane Williams says:

Thanks for showing new ways to sprout! The bag looks like it beats my jar for ease.

22. Connie says:

I am thinking about using my nutmilk bag for sprouting, say, alfalfa. Are those seeds too small for a bag? And when using a bag, aren’t you likely to damage the sprouts if you squeeze them like Annamarie did in this video?

Thanks

23. Tracey says:

Great video – however one correction…buckwheat is not a grain it is a seed like quinoa:)

Tracey

24. I cant’ seem to view the video and need assistance with the sprouting aspect.

Help!

25. christina says:

The video does not appear. Did you take it off? I’d love to watch. Thanks!

26. Letty says:

Hello, guys, I’ve been watching your videos closely with my boyfriend and we find them so helpful. This was my first time sprouting buckwheat and I noticed something that look like crystals on some of the seeds, and was wondering if it was mold, if it is, I did not see it all over, but on a few seeds. When does buckwheat goes bad?

27. Grace says:

Haven’t tried sprouting anything before now, but we did sprout and grow rice in the carpet of our car after our wedding! LOL Had a lot of rice thrown at us,a thief broke out a window later and the carpet got wet and we had sprouts! But did want to thank you on sprouting techniques. I have a LOT to learn.