Why Eating Organic Foods Should be a No-Brainer – The Renegade Health Show Episode #51

Tuesday May 13, 2008 | BY |

No matter where I go, or who I talk to, the most common questions about healthy foods that I get are specifically of these nature…

Why should I eat organic food vs conventional? Are organic foods really better than conventional foods? How do I know that I’m not being scammed?

You’d think that with the scientific evidence that pesticides are harmful and organics have more nutrients than conventional foods that people would start switching over.

But it’s not the case. I read in a magazine recently that 98% of the population still doesn’t eat organics (who knows if that number is right or not, but even if it’s 70%, it’s still a big deal!)

Many of you who read this blog, are in that other 2%, but we still want our friends, family members and fellow humans to be healthy and not suffer from unnecessary toxic load.

So I’ve created a demonstration, that hopefully we can share that may change our perspective on the importance of organic foods…

Your question of the day: What have you done or said to effectively demonstrate the importance of organic food and produce?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page, and leave your comment.

Your ACTION of the day… show someone you care and pass this along to a friend you think it would help! Click here to share!

Kevin

PS. Still accepting people for the FREE 30 day trial of the Renegade Roundtable Inner Circle. This is probably the best way to get your continuing education on cutting edge health techniques… click here to learn more…

1. A.J. says:

There are lots of studies out claiming organic foods are no more nutritious than their commercial counterparts – but you hit it on the head – that is not the point, it is the pesticides,chemicals, and fertilizers that are not good for the body and lead to serious health conditions.

p.s. First

2. Tanya says:

Oh my goodness. I’d never thought of it like that before. Unfortunately, the only organic vegetables I can buy here are carrots :(

3. Aprilsun says:

OMG! Just when I thought I had seen your best you blow it out of the water!!!
    Another eye-opening, mind-blowing performance. My hat off…
    Judi

4. Liz says:

Nice job, Kevin! Actions speak way louder than words…Heard you loud and clear!!!
    ~Liz

5. Irma Nance says:

Great demonstration, could not have presented the topic better myself. I teach Creative Foods and Nutrition in High School. Throughout the year I incorporate the importance of eating vegan and organic foods. Keep up the great work.

6. Elaine says:

Kevin, You are just too much fun to watch ! I love,love ,love the creative energy that you have. You make learning take on a new dimension. I consider myself pretty well studied in the field of Natural health and nutrition but everyday you bring new insights that make me recall why it is important to stay the course.As always,thanks to you and to AnnMarie for sharing with us all.

7. lisa says:

thank you kevin, that was a very simple and clear demo. it makes perfect sense. i will be sure to pass this along!! thank you

8. Bernadette says:

Kevin…you are so right. Now that I have been eating organic food for a few years, conventional food tastes like cardboard to me. There is no comparison. I can actually taste the chemicals in the food now and can’t even bring myself to eat them anymore.

Just a comment about the nutritive value of conventional versus organic foods… I’m not sure where Victoria Boutenko obtained her data, but there is a chart in her book, Green for Life, which shows the difference in the mineral content of commercial versus organic foods, and there is a big difference. It just seems logical that there would be, since fertilizers are needed to put back nutrients that are robbed from the soil when chemicals are used and crops are not rotated. But fertilizers can only add back a few major nutrients and trace minerals are not added back to the soil. So where are conventional plants getting them from? I would think… nowhere!!

9. Donna B says:

I have been watching your series since the beginning, but never have commented until this one!! My daughter and I just had a conversation about this very topic and your video is the perfect way to get the point across to her. Keep up the good work. Thank you!!

10. Lauren says:

I agree with you. However, I cannot afford to eat organic foods on my current budget. And doing so won’t save me any additional doctor bills, as I never get sick as it is. I’ve read all the studies and the articles as well, and if I could afford organics I’d definitely choose to buy them…but the fact is that for me, food in general that is just enough for me to have enough variety to be healthy is already a stretch of the budget.

11. Donna says:

To answer your question – what I’ve done to demonstrate the importance of organic produce is to sign up my mom and her friends for an organic produce automatic delivery service. The co-op is from Pennsylvania and they deliver once a week via UPS. I also participate in the local organic produce co-op in my area.

Realistically, though, I don’t think we can feed a nation of 350 million people, not to mention the rest of the world, by current organic farming methods. So I’m afraid that pesticides may be here to stay. Are there any farmers out there in Blog-land that can shed some insight on this?

12. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Thanks for commenting everyone! Just a few thoughts….

Donna, I’m going to pose that exact question to a board of farmers that I know… should be some interesting discussion. I’ll let you know and maybe even bring some of them in to talk about it. It’s super important.

Lauren and Tanya… please remember this… processed food is better than junk food, conventional is better than processed, organic is better then conventional, home grown organic is best (as long as your soil is safe!) So please don’t let this scare you…

Donna B. thanks for sharing for the first time!

And about nutrient value, yes, Victoria has shown this as well as many other recent widely publicized studies. It IS true and there’s finially information to back it up. If you’re only giving plant NPK (nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus) and the soil is depleted of mostly everything else… you’re not likely to get many more minerals.

I think the biggest difference between organic and conventional is the berries. The conventional berries are bigger and tasteless. You’ll see them at events or conferences and they look amazing, but if you bit into one, it tastes dull. Organic berries are smaller and pack a serious flavor! Go out and do a taste test one day… (but not now when they’re not in season and super-expensive!)

13. Kat says:

Lol. I just made my first order for home delivery of organic fruit, veggies & groceries – and that was before i saw this video.

I was a bit annoyed at the cost but this certainly reminded me of one of the reasons i’m going more organic – poison-free food, plus i know it be more nutritious & will cause far less harm to the planet & me.

Plus organic food tastes better (i think it’s a very easy argument in that way – just hand someone an organic tomato, and it tastes like a *real* tomato, not like those horrid water-y things that pass for tomatoes in shops today) :D.

14. Linda Long says:

Congrats again. Your best show ever although the musical vegetables were a trip, too.
    Linda

15. Jonathan Silva says:

Looks like one of those “truth” commercials about cigarettes, but with food instead. I love how you put these thoughts into ways that everyone can understand.

Organic > Conventional

16. A.J. says:

Agreed, home grown organic is best. Organic is a step in a better direction however ‘big organic’ is becoming more prevalent. I think a segment on local foods would be very interesting.

The US Secretary of Agriculture stated “when you hear the word Organic, think starvation” They don’t think organic is sustainable, however organic farms can produce a lot HIGHER yields per acre but usually have a lot LOWER acreage due to the work involved(so less overall production). I think they don’t think it is possible because everyone isn’t doing it. But with peak oil rising and with our food system being already highly dependent on fossil fuels(ave. 1500 miles to your plate) – eventually things WILL have to change. I love hearing old farmers say “I remember when Organic Farming was just called Farming.”

17. garry says:

Hi garry from england,i have had 4 hip operations on 1 leg in 10 month i have had a lot of antibiotics due to infection ? what should i eat to get back to normal.thanks, p.s love the show.age47

18. Bernadette says:

Yes.. the cost of organic food is higher right now compared to conventional food.. but consider the following.

I just finished reading an article that stated approximately half the population in Canada are taking at least a multivitamin supplement every day because of our depleted soils. If you eat conventional foods but buy supplements on the side, consider the TOTAL cost of both. I rarely take any kind of supplement because I am eating a lot of organic fruits and vegetables and when I am tested, like I was this past Saturday, my vitamin and mineral status are excellent. The lady who tested me said.. just keep doing whatever you are doing. What I am doing is eating organic! Unfortunately, Bill C51 is hanging over our heads right now in Canada, and if by chance they should have their way, multivitamins are going to become harder to get, more expensive and the quality is going to be affected tremendously. It is important for people to know that they can get their vitamins and minerals by buying organic and eating their 8-10 fruits and vegetables a day (and raw)!

Also, as AJ stated above, conventional food prices are also rising because of factors like oil and fossil fuel costs, and rice has just more than doubled in price in Canada. Wheat and corn are expected to follow. This is another reason to eat LOCAL, organic food.

Of course, the cheapest of all is to plant your own garden. If you can’t do it right in your own back yard, consider looking for a plot somewhere in your area or look into where your nearest co-op is. These are some ways you can get the cost down and still eat organic food. Summer is coming and it is the best time to buy local organic at a reasonable cost.

19. Hey Kevin,

I think you make a valid point here, but it still doesn’t answer the question…

I’m the kind of person who wants to eat organic food. But how do I know that just because it says “organic” on the label, it will actually be organic, and not just contrived for purposes of selling it to me at a higher price?

Thanks,

Jonathan

20. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Amen to that JK! (Healing Scar Tissue)

If it says “Organic” that means that 70-95% of the ingredients have to be organic. The Organic seal cannot be used on these products. The other 30% of these products could literally be food coloring from petroleum based oils… though there may be some regulation on that… :-) (Hopefully?)

If the seal is there then 95% of the ingredients have to be organic.

If it’s less than 70% organic, but has organic ingredients, then they can mention organic on the back, but not the front of the product.

In 2003, Congress passed legislation permitting “organic” livestock to be fed non-organic food when organic feed is 2X the price of conventional… so watch the Chicago Board of Trade for this!

If it’s labeled 100% organic, then, we have to have faith that we are working with a trusted provider.

Best bets… smaller health food stores, co-ops (at these same stores or other places), or farmers markets. Places where you can talk to the people!

OK, larger chain stores.

BTW: Great point about supplements and conventional, Bernadette!

21. Diana Walker says:

Wow, Kevin!! I absolutely LOVE the way you dramatically demonstrate — it made me cringe inside every time you sprayed each food item with the deadly poison.

You are doing an amazing service in getting the word out, and in a way that is very powerful!

I appreciate you.
    Diana

22. Al says:

To show the value of organic food, I simply tell what they’ve done for me:

I lost 30 lbs. without increasing the amount of excercise that I do. I eliminated the “normal” aches & pains associated with aging. Eliminated tendinitis in my knee that would not go away with other treatments. No more allergies. More energy. Better sleep. Clearer vision.

And organics taste better!!! They cost more? Not as much as your health problems will cost you in your unhealthy future!

Kevin – Great job as always.

23. deedee says:

maharishi agriculture has some of the leading cutting edge research on organic farming:

here is one of their webpages regarding this subject:

“The Hazards of Modern Agriculture

In order to fully understand the goals and direction of Maharishi Vedic Organic Agriculture Institute, it is necessary to have a perspective on modern agriculture. Agriculture is one of society’s most basic needs and activities–an activity that has been at the heart of every culture throughout the ages. The focus of agriculture should be to provide an abundant food supply for the nation in a healthy, cost-effective and sustainable manner.

Most recently, the ever-increasing trend in agriculture has been towards large-scale, chemical-based farming. Harmful chemical fertilizers, non-degradable pesticides and herbicides have destroyed the life of the soil, causing widespread erosion and sterility. Food has become polluted with the byproducts of these applications, sacrificing quality to unhealthy growing and processing practices. There is a continual emphasis on killing–killing predators, insects, weeds, bacteria–anything and everything that is outside the mono-crop system. The whole food chain is thus polluted with poisons and killing agents, and the natural balance of species in the environment is completely disrupted.

In addition, the production and sale of agricultural products have become focused on packaging, marketing, convenience and shelf life, with the result that fruits and vegetables are harvested long before they are ripe and have developed their full nutritive value. Unripe foods are then chemically or unnaturally ripened at the convenience of the market.

Imbalances in World Agriculture

It is also obvious that the overall organization of world agriculture is imbalanced, since some poor nations still face food shortages, even though the world has an abundance of unused land.

Farmers everywhere are working hard, yet they remain underpaid, and receive only a small fraction of the money spent on food by the consumer. In fact they receive a much smaller fraction of the food dollar than they received 100 years ago. In the US, for example, at the beginning of the 20th century farmers received 41 cents for every dollar of food sold in the market–now it is less than 9 cents.

However hard the farmers work, they remain at the mercy of the vicissitudes of Nature. Even in organic agriculture, no matter what the farming techniques may be, if Nature is not supportive, if the weather is not conducive, if there is sun when rain is needed and rain when sun is needed, then the farmers and the nation will suffer. Only the Maharishi Vedic Organic Agriculture program addresses this fundamental issue of Support of Nature.

Erosion of the Soil

The most basic threat to the health of our food and food production systems begins with the soil. The earth is continuously discarding its old worn-out skin and renewing its living sheath of soil from the rock beneath. Unless the equilibrium is disturbed, a mature soil preserves more or less a constant depth and character indefinitely.

Soil erosion disrupts this natural equilibrium. It is accelerated by human mismanagement through aggressive cultivation technologies, uncontrolled deforestation, or the destruction of natural vegetation by overgrazing. Erosion is the modern symptom of maladjustment between human society and its environment.

Conventional agriculture has resulted, almost invariably, in a catastrophic decrease in soil fertility. The illusion that fertility can always be restored by applying huge amounts of artificial fertilizers has been shattered by the recognition that fertility is not merely a matter of plant-food supply (for even exhausted soils usually contain ample reserves of plant food), but is also closely connected with soil stability. An exhausted soil is an unstable soil; Nature has no further use for it and removes it bodily.

Under normal conditions a fraction of an inch of soil may become exhausted and be removed in a century. Under human control the entire depth of soil may become exhausted and be eroded in just a few years. At present about 10 million hectares of the world’s arable land (0.7 per cent) is lost every year through soil degradation. The world is now losing some 2 billion tons of topsoil per year, and productivity of about one-third of the world’s arable land has been severely impaired due to accelerated erosion.

Maharishi Vedic Organic Agriculture Institute will educate farmers to improve soil conditions and reestablish the stability and nourishing life-force in the soil for balanced crops. This will establish a healthy world family, now, in this generation, and for all future generations to come.

Genetic Engineering Permanently Endangers the World Food Supply

The most dangerous of all the technologies that have come to the forefront in recent years is the genetic manipulation of food and seed sources. Thousands of years of perfect evolution in accord with all the Laws of Nature are being sacrificed to misguided business interests. These genetically engineered organisms that are being created not only contain dangerous toxins and allergens, but may crossbreed with the natural plant populations, creating irreversible changes within the earth’s ecosystem. This threatens the health of present and future generations along with the safety of our food supply itself.

The manipulation of the core blue print of life itself is very serious. Manipulating the genes of the food is altering the natural intelligence of the plant, and these changes will be self perpetuating and irreversible. There is no way to ever get back the original, natural genetic code. In just a few years, genes from viruses, bacteria, insects, animals, etc., many of which have never been in any food supply before and have nothing to do with life, have been added into the food gene pool. These added genes change the natural sequence of the DNA.

There has not been any systematic testing on GMO foods, especially in regards to their effect on the holistic values of life, and on subtle, long-term changes they might have on the quality of human life. Most countries do not require the labeling of GMO food. There is no way for the individual to decide if he or she wants to be a “guinea pig” or not.

Furthermore, the forcing of chemical and bioengineering farming methodologies onto developing nations has in many cases completely undermined their ancient cultural practices, and actually led to food supply problems. Whole nations are becoming food dependent on the wealthy, powerful nations, which makes the poorer nations even more vulnerable for their essential needs.

As GMO’s threaten to rewrite the nature and viability of life in the next few years, it is very important that people all over the world support natural agriculture, Vedic agriculture. Everyone must now take action to insure agriculture survives as a viable profession and the health of the world is protected. (See Appendix 8 for more details and public press reports.)

Entire contents copyright © Maharishi Global Administration through Natural Law SM. All rights reserved.
    Please refer to legal details concerning copyright and trademark protection. ”

here’s a chart on scientific research on organic growing practices and nutrition:

here’s the info:

“Appendix 3: Scientific Research on Organic Growing Practices and Nutrition

Professor Tony Nader, M.D., Ph.D.

The past one hundred years have witnessed many changes in important aspects of food science and technology. The understanding of nutrition has also undergone various stages of evolution.

Whereas food used to be considered as just a supply of calories and building blocks of the body, research has now shown the importance of vitamins, minerals, trace elements, and a variety of metabolites for health, prevention of disease, and the proper development of the brain and behavior. The value of food has therefore evolved from being a means for basic survival to a vital element in the fields of health, education, economy, and even national and international peace and well-being.

The latest scientific research (see meta-analysis references below) has demonstrated that the methods of food production have a profound effect on the constituents and quality of food. Conventional agricultural approaches using pesticides and fertilizers have been shown to deprive soil and resultant food of some of its essential ingredients including minerals, trace elements, carbon chains of metabolites, etc. These conventional approaches also create an imbalance in the food, due to the addition of too many of certain chemicals and too little of others. Such deficiencies and imbalances are not found in organically grown food.

About Nutrients

As an example, the following lists present the harmful effects caused by the lack of certain trace elements in the diet:

Element
    Deficiency

Fe (Iron)
    Anemia, weakness, poor development.

Zn (Zinc)
    Growth retardation, alopecia, dermatitis, diarrhea, immunologic dysfunction, failure to thrive, psychological disturbances, gonadal atrophy, impaired spermatogenesis, congenital malformations.

Cu (Copper)
    Anemia, growth retardation, defective keratinisation and pigmentation of hair, hypothermia, degenerative changes in aortic elasticity, mental deterioration, scurvy-like changes in the skeleton.

Mn (Manganese)
    Bleeding disorder (increased prothrombin time).

Co (Cobalt)
    Anemia (B 12 deficiency), neuronal and mental disturbances, loss of memory.

Mo (Molybdenum)
    Oesophageal cancer.

Cr (Chromium)
    Impairment of glucose tolerance.

Se (Selenium)
    Cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure. Striated muscle degeneration

Si (Silicon)
    Impaired early bone development.

F (Fluoride)
    Impaired bone and dental structure.

Some additional examples of the serious disadvantages of conventional agriculture versus the vital advantages of organic agriculture include:

1) Organically grown vegetables contain more minerals and trace elements than conventionally grown vegetables (according to the Federal Institute for Consumer Protection of Germany).

2) Organically grown foods contain more alkaloids and other metabolites essential for brain development and the integrity of the immune system. They positively enhance tissue growth and development and contribute to a greater ability of the body to heal and repair itself.

3) Organically grown foods do not cause as many allergies as conventionally grown foods.

4) Biocrystallization techniques (as demonstrated by research at the Agricultural University of Copenhagen) show that organically grown foods have more orderly crystallization patterns than conventionally grown foods. In other words, they have less entropy and more balance.

5) Conventionally grown vegetables contain significantly more nitrate than organically grown food (documented by the Federal Institute for Consumer Protection of Germany). These nitrates are transformed into nitrites in the human digestive tract. Nitrites combine with amines to form nitrosamines. Nitrosamines cause cancer.

6) Pesticides used in conventional agriculture have a similar molecular structure to oestrogen and have a hormonal influence in the physiology. They can create imbalances in the structures and functions of the tissues of the body, including the brain, and they can cause tumors.

7) The increase in the number of cases of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, chronic lymphocytic leukemia, and testicular tumors (all serious cancer diseases) may be at least partly a result of increased exposure to agricultural chemicals (as reported in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health).

8) Pesticides used in conventional agriculture have been linked to higher brain cancer, leukemia, learning disabilities, and other disorders, according to the American Public Health Association. The Arnerican Public Health Association reports that these chemicals pose a particularly great risk to children because a child’s developing nervous system and body are more sensitive to these elements. An estimated one million American children living on or near farms are ‘awash in pesticides’ from contamination of the air, drinking water, house dust, and even working clothing worn in the fields by their parents.

9) Organically produced milk contains more CLA (conjugated linoleic acids) than conventional milk. CLA have cancer-inhibiting qualities and are able to prevent arteriosclerosis.

10) In a comparison between nutritional levels in conventional food and organic food, researchers have found that organic fruit was considerably higher in phenols. Plants naturally synthesize phenols for defence against pests and diseases. Possibly, the unsprayed organic plants were stimulated to make higher levels of these critical molecules in response to pest attack. These phenolic compounds that protect the plant also have been shown to be disease protectants in humans.

11) Conventional food production overloads the soil and the ground water with artificial fertilizer (mainly nitrates) as well as with pesticides and herbicides. These elements in the drinking water also cause cancer.

12) Methane (CH4) is one of the most important gases responsible for the global greenhouse effect and fifteen per cent (15%) of the overall emitted methane is caused by conventional agriculture.

13) It has also been demonstrated that when fruit is picked early, before it is ripe on the tree, it lacks the full level of nutrients, which develop only when fruit ripens naturally and completely on the tree. Therefore, fruit and vegetables picked early, to ripen during shipment, do not deliver the full value of nutrition, as compared to the produce picked fresh and delivered fresh to the market. For this reason, Maharishi Vedic Organic Products will be picked and delivered to market within one or two days allowing them to be picked only with fully developed nutrients.

14) Finally, organically grown foods disallow the use of genetic modification. The onslaught of genetic alteration of food is an area that presents the greatest danger to the purity of our food. Some of the dangers include potential allergenicity and toxicity to humans and other species, development of antibiotic resistant organisms, horizontal gene transfer, potential genetic drift, potential disruption of soil microbiology and biochemistry, development of nutrient imbalance, increased pesticide use, damage to beneficial organisms, creation of ‘superweeds’ and ‘superpests,’ evolution of virulent new plant and soil pathogens, spread of invasive new species, loss of biodiversity, development of malignant cancers (as from insulin-like growth factor increase associated with use of rBGH), and other environmental, ethical, and economical considerations both short and long term.

Doctors are starting to recommend organic food to everyone, and particularly to their patients. For total body and brain development, proper digestion and metabolism are essential. Food constituents play a crucial role in this regard. Modern scientific findings clearly show the superiority of organically grown foods over foods grown in a conventional way.

With a poorly or less well-developed brain and physiology due to inappropriate nutrition, the individual does not have access to his full potential. This is the basis of inadequacy in education, ill health, crime, and all types of difficulties that plague national and international life. As a result, life continues to be lived with struggle, strain, and problems in all fields.

Every individual is truly Cosmic and can live perfection in life. Organically grown food facilitates the growth of the brain and body allowing the fully balanced use of all the organs of the senses and action, and the ability for deep thinking. With proper diet and metabolism supported by Maharishi Vedic Organic food, the cosmic reality of the individual can be uncovered and life can be lived in health, happiness, and continuing growth and evolution.

Editors note:

For a complete meta-analysis of the effect of organic agriculture on nutrient content, please refer to the following comprehensive study that cites all the references in recent years.

Virginia Worthington, “Effect of Agricultural Methods on Nutritional Quality: A Comparison of Organic with Conventional Crops.” Alternative Therapies, Vol.4, 1998, pp. 58-69.

Dr. Worthington concludes in her article:

We have seen now from this analysis that organic crops have higher levels of nutrients most of the time. Still, it is easy to dismiss all of this as insignificant, since the absolute quantities of nutrients are small. For example, if there is 47 percent more vitamin C, for most foods that amounts to no more than a few milligrams. Are these small differences of any consequence? A few years ago it would have been easy to brush them aside, but it is now known that there are many nutrient interactions and that small differences do matter.

For example, an increase in vitamin C increases the effect of vitamin E, folic acid, and iron. The increase in vitamin E then increases the effect of selenium and vitamin A. Vitamin A further increases the effect of iron, and so on. Because of these interactions, small increases (or equally decreases of toxic substances) of the many nutrients in a food can have a much bigger effect than would be expected from looking at the individual nutrient levels. Nutritionally speaking, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. And small differences in nutrient levels can matter a lot.”

Please see also the following research Web sites (4/142001) for more information on organic agriculture and organic nutrition:

Maharishi Vedic Organic Agriculture

Alternative Farming Systems Information Center, National Agricultural Library

Sustainable Agriculture Network and Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education

Organic Research Organization

Appropriate Technology Transfer for Rural Areas

Biodynamics Farming and Gardening Association, Inc.

Agriculture Network Information Center

Organic Farming Research Foundation

Functional Foods Research

Ecological Agricultural Projects

Acres USA

Rodale Organic Gardening

Please refer to legal details concerning copyright and trademark protection. ”

mvoai gave the most incredible speech on this subject back in jan 2008 (if i remember correctly for maharishi’s birthday in recognition for his efforts in making this knowledge available to the people) in which they gave the scientific data on nutrient loss when grown conventionally, picked unripe, when frozen, depending on how many days it was in existence before consumed etc. POWERFUL knowledge.

the point is, FRESH ORGANIC RIPE RIGHT OF THE VINE/OUT OF THE GARDEN when possible ~

namaste

24. Susana says:

I suggest people enroll in an annual Community Supported Agriculture, or, CSA local harvest distribution plan until/unless they’ve attained the ability to provide their own organic harvests.
    Here’s a link to get folks aware that they CAN “afford it”:

BTW: I’m not getting the daily videos, like I once did ~ We miss them around here ~ even my 10 year-old clamors for them… STOP THE CLAMORING; hook me back up to daily recipient status, please :-)

25. Susana says:

I’d appreciate elevated awareness of the VIRUSES in each and every GMO cell ~

26. ida margrethe says:

haha thats mad, kevin ;]
    i agree! im a student, and the organic produce prices really kick me in the face. but so does petrol prices! (for those who drives cars over here..and at home)
    organic is tastier anyway! u pay for ur health, and seriously, whats more important than that…

27. Dede says:

Hi Kevin,
    I was disappointed to learn that many of the vendors at the big farmer’s market here in St Louis actually buy their produce at the same distribution centers as the big chain grocery stores. I felt a little “duped” when I figured this out :-).
    But, in fairness – it isn’t like they advertised anything different – I had just made an assumption that it was local crop – -duh?!
    Guess its just like everything else – – Buyer beware!!
    Your own garden – – :-) – – that’s the answer :-) – – gotta go dig around in mine right now :-)………..Dede

28. David Payne says:

Hi Kevin,
    That “little” demo of organic vs. non-organic is so good. Very simple and really makes the point. Usually I find these things rather ho hum and unconvincing. However, you hit the mark.
    I used to work as Head Research Technician for the New Zealand arm of Dow Chemicals. Of course the way that spraying is “allowed” is that there is a maximum limit of spray that is allowed on and in the fruit. You will have heard of the 7 day or 14 day waiting period. That means that the grower must stop spraying 7 or 14 days before the produce is picked and sold. It’s basically an honesty system!!!
    So all non-organic produce has an “governmentally allowable” level of spray in and on the fruit and veges.
    All sprays have an L.D. 50 rating. This is the Lethal Dose required to kill 50% of the test animal. In our case of course it’s humans. So when the grower considers what spray to apply he/she is considering the L.D. 50 rating of that spray. The spray which ultimately is absorbed into the fruit or vegetable. That residue is given an approved safety level by a government body which is majority populated by industry representatives.
    It’s not really a very robust system is it? And yet that is what we are exposed to every day we eat. All processed foods at some point come from a fruit or vege. e.g. Peanut Butter….from Peanuts. Chips from Potatoes or Corn etc, etc, etc.
    Thanks again for a great video demonstration.
    David Payne,
    Auckland,New Zealand

29. Zmira says:

I live on $5,000 a year and I choose to buy organic. I spend almost half my annual budget on food. Buying organic is my contribution to caring for the planet. Yes, I personally benefit but so does the earth. By buying organics I am not supporting the manufacturing of pesticides, fungicides, herbicides, etc which pollute in themselves. I am not party to migrant workers that are poisoned by the thousands all over the globe (due to exposure to these agricultural chemicals) and have abnormally high rates of birth defects and cancers as a result. I am not party to the millions of insects and birds as well as mammals that are sickened and die and suffer the same birth deformities (birds without eyes are a common incident due to certain agricultural chemicals). And last but not least I am not party to the enormous amount of chemical runoff from agriculture into our rivers, lakes, streams, and ground water causing a myriad of problems (algea blooms in lakes and rivers for one). When we eat organic we stop the cycle cold. These chemicals don’t stop or start at the supermarket. It is a huge chain of events that produce these chemicals and when I quit buying them, I, as one small link begin to weaken the chain. When we join together in the commitment to eat organic we can change the face of agriculture, one mouth at a time and consequently help clean up ALOT of problems with just that one choice.

30. joan says:

This video was great. I’d like to see you do a clip on GMO foods. Can’t wait.

31. Bernadette says:

WoW! Thank you for the information Deedee. As consumers, we really need to stand together to stop the chaos.

32. Nancy says:

Washing and peeling nonorganic produce won’t get all of the harmful chemicals out of the item because as the pesticides and fertilizers go into the soil they are absorbed by the plant’s root structure. They become part of the “nutrients” the roots then provide to the edible portions of the plants. Umm, yummy.

33. Letha says:

Kevin,

I thought your piece on eating organic was fantastic. But it does bring one thing to my mind that has been bothering me for quite sometime regarding organic foods. I work as a food scientist in the food manufacturing industry and know a bit about what it takes in order for a food producer/provider to be able to declare their products as organic. Thus, I am quite aware of the upcharge associated with the foods that are labeled organic. It concerns me that one day only the upper middle class and affluent of the country and the world will be able to afford to eat without the fear of poisening themselves. This is completely unfair and the saddest thing to ever face our world. But, if that isn’t sad enough, if farmers stop using pesticides, their crop yields would drop so low that we would have a dramatic drop in available produce and again a whole bunch of us will simply not have fruits and vegetables available to us. Finally, if farmers were required to grow organic crops, I predict that hundreds of thousands of farmers and farming industries would simply stop growing produce. It just stresses that we must think about the far reaching issues that come with all foods being produced organically. Can we afford to pay that price? I agree completely that we should eat organic whenever possible. I just wonder how many of us can actually do it.

Letha

34. Alicia says:

Simply Brilliant! You and I run such parallels its scary!

My blog partner(waving at Jenn!) and I have been working on a string of articles on organic living for the blog!! I’ll definitely have to incorporate this video into our posts!

I wanted to mention that another way to tell if your fruits and veggies are organic is by the little sicker (bar code sticker) on the produce. It will always start with the # 9 if its organic. :)

I belong to an organic co-op and get most of my fruits and veggies there. I spread the word about the co-op to anyone that will listen.

35. sheree says:

Hi Kevin! I love this video. For all of those who can’t afford organics at least do the best you can a stay away from dirty dozen.

We can’t always buy everything organic, but we do our best to stay away from the worst offenders.

36. Richard says:

As always, you are too funny. Great demo.

I think in addition to this (how organics affect you the consumer of the fruit or vegetable) there are lot of other reasons to eat/promote organics including effects on the soil/future generations and dependence on an oil based economy (many/most of the non-organic pesticides are synthetic petroleum based).

However, though I’m in total agreement with your underlying point, there is still a problem from switching from non-organic industrial farming to “organic” (read USDA approved organic) industrial farming. Yes, the food meets organic standards, which don’t get me wrong, I still think are a lot better than non-organic standards. However, this falls way short of small farm, locally grown, diverse vs. monoculture, permicultured, etc. farming that hopefully is the gold standard that we should be shooting for. It always kills me when you see some of these industrial farmed monoculture salad companies show a photo or drawing of their idealistic, bucolic farms with the farmer, his two sheep, old wooden barn, bird on the white fence and a butterfly floating above a beautiful meadow in the background when in fact the farming for these firms is really just a huge industrial farm as far as the eye can see of monocultured lettuce (or fill in your favorite organic product here).

I’ve found myself eating a lot more locally grown, IPM fruits and veggies over the past year…may not be USDA organic, but is often “organic-like” farmed (just can’t say organic legally) or the farmer does use some non-organic bad stuff, but may do it once before the fruit is on the plant and hand sprays in small quantities or only sprays one infected tree or a small group rather than carpet bombing the entire farm. It’s nice getting to know your farmer and understand their ideology. So it may not be Certified Organic, but I’m eating it the day it was picked which means the most nutrients, lowest transportation/energy impact and I know that it has been grown on a small farm, with high diversity by someone who is ensuring he is using as little nasty pesticides as humanly possible for growing that in this area and leaving the land as good or better than when he found it.

Great job.

37. Jeff says:

I have several comments – other comments have already been made. 1) I used to live in Central America and regularly picked fruit and vegetables that grew naturally in my neighborhood, and nobody went around fumigating them. They were not classified as organic, and they certainly got some toxins because the city is laden with toxins, but I doubt that organic was very much better than they were. 2) I have read that produce 40 years ago had about double the nutrition that it does today. I think that is criminal and something should be done about it. 3) I have read that washing produce with apple cider vinegar and hydrogen peroxide is a good cleansing process – obviously that would not clean much more than surface level pesticides, and would not cleanse pesticides within the produce. 4) I have read that some produce is very bad if it nor organic while others don’t get bathed so much in pesticides – there are studies that state which produce is most important to buy organic. 5) There are lots of procedures that one can do to detoxify one’s body, from infrared saunas to other detoxifying procedures – there are books that discuss the many types of procedures. 6) I think to maintain one’s health one must first of all, not live in dread of what might happen, a good perspective is more important than eating some less healthy produce. But it is also very wise to balance other things in life – one might not know for sure if one’s own well being is due to eating lots of fruits and vegies, or eating organic, or eating a wide variety of nutrients, or from one’s relationship with God and Nature, or from detoxifying, or from exercising, or from helping people, or from donating blood, or from doing things to promote one’s mind and health, etc, etc. If the end result is that one lives a vibrant and healthy happy life free of major disease, it doesn’t matter which of the many healthy things one does contributes most to one’s good life.

38. Glen Colello says:

Raid smells better than Durian it must taste better???
    Eating Organinc is like having sex without a condom it feels better!
    Eating conventional is like having sex with
    a blow up doll
    It does not feel good and can’t be good for you!

Kevin you are the Man!
    See you in Newport!

39. Gaby says:

I wish you would have extended the show 20 seconds to show us where that type of food belongs (GARBAGE!) and to give me peace of mind that no one was going to touch, much less eat, that food (especially the baby food)!

Anyway, let me offer you a suggestion for another show on why choosing organic/natural food over conventional food is worth it despite the (seemingly) higher prices. Provide examples of what you get for each product and you will certainly demonstrate that, at least with some items, you are actually paying MORE, relative to cost of raw product, when you buy conventional. For example, pure orange juice versus orange “drink” – let’s say 5 bucks versus 1 buck 50 cents … However, when looking at the ingredient list and what you are actually getting, you’ll find that you are paying, at $1.50, an extremely high price for high fructose corn syrup. In the end, you are paying MORE , in relative terms, for low-quality ingredients. And, of course, you are paying for the consumption of those foods in other ways, e.g., poor health leading to higher medical bills, etc. I don’t have the time to do the research and perform a comparative study of this, but perhaps you can get together a few examples for a show. THANKS for what you are doing already! Take care.

40. Erin Tullius says:

I totally love this. Why not take it one step further and buy local? Locally grown food is (obviously) fresher, and is not taking the emormous amount of fossil fuels to be sent to us from say, South America. I am also leary of any organic produce coming from Mexico as I have heard the standards differ. Can you speak to that?

Also…just because it is organic does not mean it is healthy. My father loves to try to appease me by buying organic when I go to visit. Problem is, he’s buying organic potato chips and THINKS he’s eating healthy! LOL!

For more information like this visit http://wellnessparadigm.blogspot.com

41. Didiydi says:

LOL, you are hilarious! Someone just posted your link at mercola site, so expect more visitors. This video is amazing,what a powerful message. I am sending it to my friends right now! I wish I knew about it last year when I was having discussions with people why go organic.
    Keep up the great work and thanks again!