Why Can Some People Turn Around Their Health or Weight – The Renegade Health Show #41

Tuesday Apr 29 | BY |

Today was a rainy day and rainy days always get me thinking…

Why can some people turn their health around on a dime and others struggle to change the same habits that they know are bad for them.

I’m not immune to this you know, we all have this from time to time.

Take a look and see if you agree with me or not…

Your question for today: What struggles have you been through? What did you do to get out of them? What advice can you give to others why may be struggling now?

I think your posting will help someone who finds this when they really need it…

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and add your comment or story.

Kevin

PS. Do you have a copy of our book yet? Maybe it will help you get an extra jumpstart on your fitness program… click here to take a look.

1. ida margrethe says:

well, im a vegan and raw foodist, and all my friends think im a bit strange, which im NOT, im just happier and have more energy and are more positive than them, and i think they just dont understand that..

When i was a vegan i started reading alot of raw books, the first one i stumbled over on one of my backpackin adventures, it was Natrures First Law; The Raw Food Diet by Arlin, Dini and Wolfe. Thats a pretty full on “hippie-shit” kinda book. Couldnt really get into it, but it opened my eyes and i started finding out more things on the subject. and im glad i did!
    Knowledge is power i guess..

2. Sparrow says:

I’m not terribly proud of what led me to start getting my stuff in one sock. I kept trying to get healthier and giving up and failing. Then I was diagnosed with diabetes and that was my wake-up call. Everything that was difficult before is easy now. I have no problem staying vegan and don’t miss the things my husband is still eating – in fact, some of them have become downright repulsive to me. I have had long-standing foot problems since I became overweight but now I find I have to restrain myself from walking too much instead of forcing myself to go walking at all. I love to go for long walks and see the numbers on the pedometer pile up.

I guess if hitting bottom (however one defines that) helps a person finally pick themselves up and get on with what needs doing, it’s not all bad. But I really hope others can find better ways out of the struggling and into the doing than I did!

3. Jacqueline says:

Since my teen years, when I started gaining weight, I have been making successively, small changes in my diet. However, I never could completely surrender my addiction to sweets…till I tried Dr Hyman’s Super Simple Diet. This was the first stepping stone to big changes in my eating habits. Miraculously, after only two weeks (one week preparation and one week detox) my sweet cravings disappeared, and I started feeling so good that I decided there and then to never go back to eating the way I had before. Through Dr Hyman I learned about a free audio raw food summit sponsored by none other than…you guessed it: Kevin Gianni. This led me to Raw Food… This all started 10 weeks ago. At the moment I would say I am approx. 60% raw, 40% cooked food. No sugar, no processed food…but still a little bit of meat. Never felt so good in my life…Don’t know when I’ll be able to transition to 100% raw…but it is my goal! These two experiences have allowed me to develop the inner motivation to stay the course. Success is the best motivator! Thank you Kevin!!!

4. Anna says:

Dear Kevin,
    Great monologue – I really look forward to them.
    So, here’s mine…
    …Through healing I was not prepared to loose everything. Healing can be this ravaging force in which nothing seems sanctified. As my pain is released it rips apart the structures and foundations I built in weakness and ignorance. It runs me over like a big red tanker truck.
    My life is like a wave now. It circles with all kinds of ups and downs. But instead of getting into a self defeating mindset, I have to be with it, ride it and trust it. When I go to that place of tears, fear and tiredness, I have to push my way up and out of the wreckage. I trust that the present moment is where I need to be; and honor that. The person I’ve always wanted to become has been inside of me all along; I just couldn’t always see her. Rather than getting caught in the storm, now I try and see the sun just overhead. I try and meditate daily. Getting in touch with my stillness inside is my way to gain it back. There is comfort in this space, like this reoccurring sanctuary in one of my dreams, where I lay down my burdens for a moment. I try and integrate it into every minute of my daily life. If this were my last day on earth, where would my mind be as I drew my last breath? What would be most important? Taking time each day to notice the simple things and beauty in everything keeps me focused. I let today be enough.
    Peace Be With You, Anna

5. Marilyn says:

With NO digestion going on in my body for the 4th month, an online master herbalist asked me, “Do you want to live?” I was sitting at this computer in a pain-induced brainfog seeking my answers. OF COURSE I WANTED TO LIVE!!

He patiently explained fruit to me, easy on digestion, glyconutrients being cellfood. THE wasy to LIVE while I cleansed my body and got on with CURE. I answered that email, turned off the computer and went to the healthfood store for a supply of organic fruit and Lakewood Farms organic juices (please remember day 1, I didn’t own a juicer.)

Why is that people in my house don’t understand that it was the food???

I haven’t looked back. I am 70+% raw everyday. Somedays 100%. I’ve gone from a gourmet, cook from scratch mama and wife to a raw foodie. IF I can do this, anybody that WANTS to can.

WANT TO … there’s your answer. Brainwashing of our lifetime? Not wanting to be different? Not being willing to stand on what we believe … all of these are typical of Americans from the drugs-sex-rocknroll period I grew up in! “I’m different, don’t care who knows it … somethin’ about me’s just not the same.”

6. Tim says:

Kevin,
    really like your videos, message and sheer ENERGY!!
    my struggles have been with listening to that negative inner voice, and believing what it was saying….
    i feel successful when i ackowledge it, and say, “no thanks, i disagree”….and move on to what is good for me….eating raw vegan, running, laughing a lot…the rest all just flows then.
    thanks for the site!!

7. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Wow… incredible stories every one. Man, Anna, quite poetic 😉

I’m here to help, ’cause I know what it’s like…

When I was living in Brooklyn in a basement apartment and partying 6-7 nights a week, I was in a miserable depression. I was tired, I was weak, I was nasty to the people who cared about me. It wasn’t fun.

One morning, I peeled my head off of the pillow and asked myself a simple question… kind of like the ones i mentioned in this show.

The question was, “is there something better than this?”

And that was it for me.

I started finding answers that pointed to “yes, there is something better” and this self proclaimed skeptic, started to believe.

The first book i picked up was “the seeker’s guide” by Elizabeth Lesser. It’s a great one 😉

8. Brandon says:

Hello All,

Well I’ve lost 50 pounds or so from simple changes in my lifestyle. One of which is getting enough exercise, I know I know its like beating a dead horse, but its true. Also, I’ve found that eating things in moderation is key. As is the case, everyone is unique in their own way, so there really is no magic bullet so to speak. You just have to be willing to make changes in your lifestyle and be willing to stick with it. The best advice I can give is to start slowly, do your homework(i.e research what works best and what doesnt) and not to give up easily. If you do that, things should start to accelerate into success.

Brandon*

9. Jeanne May says:

Your video had my heart in my mouth! You are driving down the wrong side of the road Kev!!! Lol in Oz we drive on the left!

Seriously… great topic. All my life I’ve tended to go beyond what others want or expect of me… and what gave me a huge kick up the proverbial was a few years ago I got seriously ill and soon after recovering I realised I was beginning to be like how people were defining I should be. And that is scary because I didn’t want to go down that track! And what keeps me going with what I’m doing is remembering what I truly want for me because when I work with my vision… everyone benefits!

Jeanne

10. Denise says:

My struggles started with two heart problems at the age of 29. I had been a jock in high school as well as an accomplished horsewoman.I had jogged off and on after high school. I started to read about vitamins and minerals on our health and about how our food wasn’t always good. I started getting eight hours of sleep every night, stopped smoking and started taking vitamins, started working out regularly.
    I started to race in the 5k and 5 mile races and even placed in every one but one with the heart problem. Then I hurt my knee and took a break from running and started to body build. Then I started to change how I ate even more by now cutting out all the processed white flour and sugar. Heart Doctor then says that I am now starting to improve due to the change in my diet. Heart problem is gone before I hit 40.
    Then I was diagnosed with colon cancer at the age of 48. I had 6 weeks of radiation with a chemo in the pill form and two surgeries and 3 hospitalizations. They wanted me to do 4 months of hard core chemo after my first surgery. I said no! I had learned more about natural and went with a Naturopath’s advice.
    I am still cancer free!
    I am about 50% raw and this going 100% is new to me but I am learning.
    I would tell you that you need to stay positive and not dwell on the negative. If you have the mindset that you can then you can! You have to visualize yourself being healthy. You have to be informed and learn about things yourself. Do not just trust yourself to what your Doctor tells you.
    I feel better now then I did before my cancer diagnoses!!! Herbs, detoxing, organic natural foods, essential oils, all natural health and beauty products. Natural cleaning products and detergents.

11. linda says:

wonderful video today!!
    i have been away and was staying with a
    friend i had not seen since becoming a
    vegan. wow… she could not except or understand my new eating… eating mostly raw while there for 9 days was a test to maintain
    my commitment to eating my way…i passed with flying colors. i found i can share what i have learned and what is right for me and how good i feel and the weight i have lost and some get interested and some freak out!!!
    you inspire me with your videos and messages
    and i thank you… i have a food coach and read much about raw eating and blogs and this not only helps but gives me good ideas for more change and things to eat. your recipe wednesdays with anna marie are divine for me.
    thanks kevin for your commitment to helping others.

12. Trisha says:

Awesome show! This blog is not about my life change. Just wanted to let you know that when I sit down to my laptop to listen to your show and the music starts playing….my husband and son keep coming over to sit in the back row and watch, too! What a great testimony about how interesting and entertaining your shows are. Keep up the good work!

13. PeaceLoveJoyBliss says:

Hey Kevin, loved the monologue. I’m glad you went beyond Brooklyn.

For me, the best way to do a turnaround is to find someone with whom I resonate, to whom I can give quality from the heart, with whom I can share a special moment.

No, I don’t talk like this 😉

Keep on keepin’ on …

14. Dea says:

Kevin,
    great health shows, I love your thoughtful presentations and the information is A-quality. What got me to change life stlye?
    Like you I was drinking 6 out of 7 nights per week. Not a lot, not getting drunk but quitely working my way through 1-3 glasses of wine every night. I couldn’t understand why I couldn’t lose weight. I was a vegetarian, I got very good at making super rich vegetarian entrees. I was eating for pleasure and getting bigger by the minute. The more I ate and drank my delicious wines and cheeses and risottos (I to was and still am a from scratch person) and tortes, and puddings…I thought it would make me happier but really all it did was mask my depression and give me only momentary relief. Finally last year after getting laid off from my stressful job, I finally had some time for myself. I asked myself some questions…what did I want from life, was i happy, was I satisfied, why wouldn’t my depression go away, why couldn’t I lose any weight eventhough I went to the gym 4 times per week. It came down to habits, diet and life style. After some research I discovered the benefits of being vegan, and increasing my raw vegetable and fruit intake. Eating less, exercising more and cutting out alcohol. It has made a world of difference. Depression is gone! I am active,positive, nicer, I have lost 50lbs and I am just more fun to be around. I

15. Paula says:

I took action in 02. When I needed to lose 25 pds. wWent to weight watchers and they taught me soooo much. read labels. Well the more I read the more I lean against alot of foods. & lost the weight. But that is where it all began. I read about factory farming and the more I read the more I quit buying meat, so then became vegetarian worked my way to become vegan. Working on raw which is 75%. I just keep pushing myself more. I now like to stay in the produce isle. It’s been since 05 I been a vegan.

16. Wendi Dee says:

Kevin,

That was another beautiful video. 🙂

I think you’ve captured a lot of the points in your video. It’s about the questions we ask ourselves, or don’t ask. I think many people go through life without asking themselves the deeper questions. I don’t know why that is, but it seems to be the case.

My response here was much too long. I felt like I was really writing for myself, more than anything, reflecting on all that has changed in my life and how it changed (prompted by your question, of course!). I’ll continue writing my response, but I’ll post it in my blog since it’s quite long.

A brief answer to your questions is: Yes, I’ve been through struggles and I pulled myself through by asking questions. My advice to others is to start asking yourselves questions. If you haven’t asked deep questions in the past, start off with some that aren’t so difficult to answer:

“Am I happy right now?”

“Can I imagine myself happier in the future?”

“What changes can I make to bring about a better life for myself?”

I really do think that many changes (at least in my case) come from the questions we ask ourselves. If you ask the right questions, something will awaken from deep within yourself and you’ll find the strength to make changes.

Lots of love to you,

Wendi Dee
    XOXOXO

p.s. I find it so difficult to see you as a drunk loser (or whatever it was you called yourself). I’m happy you asked yourself the question that propelled you into making the changes to become the beautiful person you are today.

17. Michelle says:

Hey Kevin,
    Very thought provoking and something I have thought about a lot, especially during my juice feast.

I have abused my body in just about every way possible over the years, struggled to find health and lose weight only to throw it all away again.

I am trying to figure out what, if anything makes this journey different from the ones in the past and for me it has been the ability to sit with myself and to sit with my emotions when they come up and not try to stuff them down with food or whatever else I can find. To learn that I deserve to have health, joy and happiness.

In the past I have run to negative habits to keep myself from facing who I am because I thought that it was so horrible that I didn’t want to see. I didn’t deserve good things. Now I am seeing myself through different eyes and realizing that I am not ugly, I am not a monster and that I deserve the good things that others have around me.

It is a process and it is still rearing it head from time to time but I now have the tools to deal with it. In fact, I just created an audio on my blog that relates to this last night.

Thanks for getting us thinking and learning.

18. Esther says:

Wow, Kevin, I love your energy! Thanks for sending it out our way every day.

Really good video today. I had to ask myself that question many years ago when, at 28, I was diagnosed with severe osteoporosis. That started me on my path to healthier living. I have researched many long hours and sought to implement what I learned along the way. Lots of ups and downs. Some things helped, others hindered. I have had to learn by experimentation what would work for me and what wouldn’t. I haven’t got everything figured out yet but I’m getting close.

There has been a quantum leap in improvement, particularly since I introduced raw foods into my diet a few years ago – not only with my bones, but also several other health challenges as well.

I think what has helped me is a committment to myself to do whatever is required to get healthy, no matter what opposition I faced. Listening to my intuition. Not listening to my doctors advice to take drugs but instead trying to provide my body with the raw materials it needs so that it could do what it was created to do. Learning to make wise choices moment by moment and no allowing any excuses for failure. And when I did fail, to pick myself up and keep pushing on.

19. Alicia says:

You do such an awesome job with these Kevin!

Fortunately I’ve never had a major illness but my father had diabetes and died of cancer at age 56 and my sister died of a heart attack when she was only 26 and I was 13. This left an unforgettable impression on me.

When at puberty I found myself with a weight problem, I tried my first diet at 15 years of age and began a journey that would lead me through 16 years of yo-yo dieting, emotional eating, low self esteem, binging and adrenal fatigue before learning how to be healthy.

I grew up on processed, highly refined foods and it has left an indelible footprint in my brain that I must work on continuously. It took me years to acquaint my taste buds with healthy foods. The drastic yo-yo dieting ceased when I, first, learned about marketing and second, decided I wanted to be healthy not just thin. What kept me going and keeps me going today is the bigger picture.

My bigger picture is the quality of life that I want to live, the wife I want to be to my future husband and the example I want to be for my future children. I don’t want to pop pills or awake with pains. I want to live a high quality, vibrant and passionate life for as long as I’m on this earth. I know that won’t be possible if I don’t take care of myself. I don’t want my father’s and sister’s destiny to be my own.

My advice would be to get support and find an appropriate mentor… no man is an island… but most importantly, find your bigger picture, and just keep going. Keep trying and never give up. When you fall off, be gentle with yourself about it, dust yourself off and get back on track as soon as possible.

Life is about the journey… there are lessons to learn at every curve and every bump in the road… lessons that will greatly enrich your life if you’ll look at them and work through them instead of running from them. Allow yourself to simply be where are because it’s exactly where you should be at this moment.

20. Lynn says:

Kevin, I just loved this video. Yes, the topic, but the chance to see your surroundings. As I see you interact with your wife and friends, see different rooms of your house, your vacation, and now your neighborhood, it makes you so real! Of course you are real, but sometimes we set others up on a pedastool. Seeing and hearing you in everday life shows us you are just like us.
    Anyway, my chnage has been gradual. A PROCESS. Small changes turn into bigger ones. One change you think is good you later realize maybe wasn’t. I stopped using so much sugar and used mostly Splenda. Thought I was doing something good. HA HA It is a continual learning curve!!
    I think too much about what others think of me. I worry about their opinion too much. That tends to effect the choices I make. I just did 17 days of juice feasting, but didn’t tell my husband until it was over. (He is never home for meals except on weekends, and he was away 2 weekends in a row, so he didn’t know) When it was over and I did finally tell him, he said I was “on the outer fringes!” Thats when I like to go undercover, so to speak. That’s when peer pressure comes into play, even as adults.
    To help me get over my concerns and my lower self esteem, I took up Hapkido. I also started doing a Combat Conditioning class, and for a few months did BJJ. (I had to quit that for now due to scheduling) I am so nervous for every class because I am not athletic, cooridnated, not do I remember the techniques well. But each week I go, and am proud of myself for doing it!
    Make small changes. Don’t try to change everything at once. Realize it will always be a PROCESS. Lynn

21. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Lynn, thanks so much for sharing! 🙂

Sounds like you’re doing awesome!

Wanted to comment on this… “As I see you interact with your wife and friends, see different rooms of your house, your vacation, and now your neighborhood, it makes you so real! Of course you are real, but sometimes we set others up on a pedastool. Seeing and hearing you in everday life shows us you are just like us.”

This to me is what the show is all about. I could have gone two ways with it. (1) over produced and sterile or (2) very, very real. I picked #2 because I wanted to show the real thing. We’re people like everyone else and we have our ups and downs. Most of all, if we can do it (live healthy and have fun) you can to. 🙂

I’m glad you picked up on this, thank you for taking time out of your busy day to share with us!

22. Bernadette says:

At 40 years old, my doctor sent me for my first bone scan to get a baseline value and discovered I had osteopenia, which is pre-osteoporosis. I couldn’t believe it. I had always drank so much milk and have large bones. I didn’t fit the mold for osteoporosis. It really made me wonder what was going on.

That inspired me to have my first biomeridian test. I had heard of a woman, a former nurse, who had opened a health food store and was able to test people for food allergies using this biomeridian machine. I was amazed at what I found out. I was allergic to cow’s milk…not to the lactose, but to the proteins in cow’s milk, and therefore was not even absorbing the calcium from it. From that moment on, I stopped drinking and eating anything with cow’s milk and noticed a huge improvement in my health, especially in my breathing. I also found out I was allergic to things like blue, yellow and red dyes that are in a lot of foods, medications and face/body creams and by continuing to use these things, I was making myself unhealthy. Many books on pH state that one of the leading causes of acidity in the body is allergens.

Years later, when I met my husband, I took him to get tested as well. He had a really bad case of eczema on his hands and his doctors were never able to figure out what it was from. They told him he was perhaps allergic to tomatoes. When he was tested, he wasn’t allergic to tomatoes at all, but instead, was allergic to apples, grapes, peanuts, beef and chlorine. At the time, he was eating peanut butter, beef bologna and apples every day and drinking chlorinated water. When he stopped eating and drinking the things he was allergic to, his hands improved right away.

Our nutrient status was also tested on the biomeridian machine and we were able to find out what our vitamin/mineral status was…which was very poor at the time. The third thing tested during our preliminary appointment was for parasites/molds/yeasts/fungi and bacteria. Once we found out what our status was, we were tested for the supplements that would work for us, again by machine.

This was a long time ago and it started my journey towards better health, researching the internet, reading books like The China Study, for example, and taking raw food classes. But I think, the initial step for anyone, should be to get checked by this amazing machine and program…because no matter how well someone is eating, if they continue to eat foods they are allergic to, they will still be causing themselves unneccesary harm. I think it should be the first step for anyone wanting to improve their health.

23. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Bernadette, thanks so much for sharing! I appreciate all the time you spend here and your input. People like you and the many others who contribute regularly to this community are the ones that make it tick!

24. Louann says:

Complacency,acceptance, thinking I could tolerate an intolerant situation all led to the brain tumor. Later, after mopping up the mess the surgery caused and tried to resume a “normal” life. To avoid making the mistake again, (and hoping to be able to help others with such situations once I found the cause), I began my search, leading to painful internal searching, which was one of the best things I have done in my life. That is usually the LAST THING “The truth will make you free!”

25. Colleen says:

Hi Kevin, I just got finished watching your video, its really good.

I started getting into natural health since I was diagnosed with MS. That was June 2004 but I had it since April 1999. The doctors back then had no idea what was going on with me they thought I had brain cancer. I was toxic, deficient, dehydrated and stressed out. You see whole foods, supplement, minerals and stress reduction tapes is what got me back on my feet. You can read more about me on my site http://www.howireversedms.com. Go to about me pass and read how it all started and what I did. Today I’m 90% raw and some days I’m 100% raw. My husband is now 50% raw.
    If any body out their has MS or any type of illness go to my site click on solutions then Dr Hohn. He talks about all other illnesses besides MS.
    Colleen

26. Jenny Lens says:

when i eat raw foods and do yoga, walk, dance, i am focused, driven, productive. when i eat cooked foods I’m sluggish and everything is a struggle, whether it’s my art or yoga or sleeping or anything.

YOU CANNOT CHANGE THOSE WHO REFUSE TO CHANGE! It might have taken a wake-up call from the doctor or something drastic, but why some of us change and others don’t is the great mystery of life. i have finally learned not to bother with those who don’t want to change.

i focus on those who are struggling for answers, for guidance, for other ways of dealing with their lives, whether health or creatively or with their families or whatever.

when the student is ready, the teacher appears.

i’ve been on both sides of that equation. it’s much healthier to deal with peeps who have that drive and are motivated than others who “should” change. lead a horse to water and all that . . .

once upon a time, i was depressed and kept playing scripts over and over in my head and my soul, the ones we hear as very small children and throughout our lives.

but i did/so something few people ever do: i made art that many, many people wanted/want to see, own, read about. i knew there was beauty and a market for this art. i would never do art for a market, but that people really needed and wanted my photos and stories. i was touched and feel blessed i created something that resonates and gives pleasure to so many people from all ages and all walks of life.

but i knew it would take so much work, so much sacrifice, focus, energy and health to do this art.

but before i would resume this art, i had to do the most important thing in my life: change me.

art is easy, living is hard. old habits we don’t think about, things that we try to change that we can’t, to me, is the most challenging aspect in living. it’s not paying the bills or making art or raising a family. it’s being the best we can be, whatever the best is, and that itself changes.

well, after being on every diet in the world (and drugs), i came upon raw foods, and not for the first time.

i lost weight, divorced my husband, and went online with my art. a few years later, after much soul-searching and tough, tough work, the world is rushing to me, giving me strength, encouragement, and most of all, gratitude (and some money, which will increase soon due to steady publicity coming my way).

now i don’t have much time to eat. but at least once a day i make a great big green salad, and eat more fruit during the day than i wish, but it’s faster and cheaper to eat a bunch of bananas that enough salads.

i walk, i do yoga. YOGA helps me with the raw foods. i can’t imagine one without the other.

My friends and art nourish me in ways food cannot compete. And the fact that dreams are coming true.

i just found out a MAJOR rock band’s management wants to do a calendar with just MY photos. the band who changed my life, and the lives of so many people. the band I first shot 32 YEARS ago!

I just found out a major art mag ran my photos and the LA Times will this weekend. I haven’t had time to process it.

i spent the day looking for a new scanner cos i need it for the calendar. I am getting the money cos a client ordered 3 prints (the calendar money won’t arrive that soon to ge the scanner, the story of my life!).

not sure how i’ll pay my rent, but who has time for drinking, too much food, gas, cramps and fuzzy thinking?

and despite what anyone says about raw foods being expensive, I am living proof it’s cheaper than living on any other kind of food!!!

ok, gotta shower and get to yoga tonight. then back to work cos i’m sooo behind getting yet more photos to yet another author. and prep the photos for the client whose payment will help me get the scanner i need for this calendar. OMG.

this would NOT be happening if i lived differently, cos for two decades i fled from my iconic rock photo archive, lost in a fog of food and depression and more.

AND everyone wants to know why i look so good and they look so aged, and men 20 years younger run after me but i laugh and tell them I am too busy.

Kevin, you have quite a lively site here!!! glad to see so many responses!

27. Nimisha Raja says:

Hi Kevin,

I’ve often wondered about those same questions – and I’m still asking myself. Even after great success on a low-fat vegan diet, and raw/living foods vegan for over a year, I still fall back on potato chips and french fries (oh the shame and horror!) BUT – having experienced the energy and well being of eating well, I find I don’t resort to eating those junk foods as often and in the quantities I used to. I’ve overcome a lot of my “female” problems just through good nutrition – no drugs, no fancy gimmicks, no expensive supplements.

I think a large part of the reason why people don’t “pull out” of their destructive habits could be emotional – the attachment to the unhealthy lifestyle is deep rooted. And, subconsciously, the reward of staying sick is greater than the prospect of getting better.

I share these experiences with others through my courses and workshops I offer, and hope to help people avoid some of the pitfalls I’ve encountered.

Thanks for your insight!
    Nimisha

28. Kevin says:

Kevin,

What I have found is that people will never do anything unless they have an emotional reason why. When I quit smoking it was because I had a strong emotional reason…one that was much stronger than the pain of quitting. I couldn’t listen to my daughters tell me that they wanted me to quit any longer…it was too painful to know that I was hurting them (emotionally, not physically, as I never smoked in their presence).

If your “WHY” isn’t stronger than the difficulty that will present itself as you struggle to change, then you’ll never make it. You’ve got to have a strong why and the guts to make it past the short amount of time that it’ll hurt you….and believe me, it’s a lot shorter than you might think.

Every time my body told me that it wanted a cigarette, I just told my body that I was a non-smoker…out loud…because my mind had to hear me declare that in order to make the changes necessary to become what I spoke.

Just my $0.02…and worth it !

29. Lauren says:

There are many factors as to why people are complacent, active, motivated, or apathetic. I could psychoanalyze people until the sun goes down and comes up again. Among my friends, I’m the go-to girl when people are having any kind of emotional problems…not because I can fix them, but often because I can pretty accurately pinpoint what’s going on in a person’s subconscious after talking to them for a while, let them know what I’ve done in the past when I’ve dealt with those same situations, and offer my genuine emotional support as someone who has, in most cases, been there before.

I suppose because I am able to do this now, I am thankful for the many sh*tty experiences I’ve had in the past that have taught me how to cope with every emotional problem out there. I’m not a licensed psychologist, but I feel that the help I’m able to give people is more genuine that way: I don’t charge, and my experience is based on life: “I’ve been there”.

The most important thing about fixing an emotional problem, be it temporary or ongoing, is understanding why it is happening–only then can we take steps to eliminate the cause and begin to take baby steps towards healing–in the long run.

30. qwan says:

Wow amazing video. You are a pro. this spell binding.
    Great video

31. Suz Stapler says:

I think it takes education and sickness to change people. The education is available if you are willing to find it and then to study and learn. The sickness is a blessing in disguise.

I gave up gluten and within three days I stopped having headaches which had plagued me for 32 1/2 years. I never would have learned about that if I hadn’t been willing to open up and learn.

32. Elaine says:

Kevin,terrific show !
    Anna, if you are not a writer than you may be missing your calling!
    As for the question…I am a recovering Fibromyalsian..and have issues with my disc’s in my back and neck…the constant pain and inability to do so many things for years led to depression..which led to more pain…which led me to “The Optimum health Institute” …which led me to a new life ! A life that is hard to keep up with without constant encouragement which led me to YOU !!! Kevin,my daily visits to your site have helped me to re-focus and keep my enegy to work out,eat right and stay balanced.Hearing your words as well as all those who write in makes it so real and I never feel alone in my struggles anymore.That’s HUGE!Change happens day by day and feeling healthier and going through my days with renewed commitments helps me so much. THANK YOU EVERYONE !

33. Lisa says:

Hi,

I too love watching your videos! I have been asking myself “why can’t I get motivated?” for a while now. I can’t seem to make myself exercise like I should. I do try to eat healthy even though I still eat meat and chocolate (my weakness). I have MS which you would think would be motivation enough to take better care of myself! I don’t have noticeable symptoms and choose to “live in denial” as my neurologist tells me. I have a husband and 2 kids who should also be motivation enough. I think it is true that you can’t take care of other people unless you take care of yourself! I think watching your video, this one in particular and seeing Colleen’s post is a sign for me to get it together!!! Thanks for being an inspiration! It helps knowing that there are resources out there. I like your site because you are so energetic and positive!

34. Allison says:

I am one of those who can’t seem to get it together. I have twice experienced the benefits of awesome health- one of them through being 100% raw, so it’s not from a fear of the unknown that I keep eating non-raw junk. I haven’t yet figured out what keeps me from jumping back in to raw with both feet, but I have never strayed far from the “raw life.” I know that one day I’ll be ready to do it fully again- when it’s time. Keeping one foot in the raw world through websites, my raw blog, and my raw Twitter friends helps me to reach this goal much sooner than I otherwise would, though!

35. Chelly says:

FOCUS!

Being healthy and active is something that I wanted for years and always said, ‘one day soon’. Well, one day (not the go out and be active day, it’s another one of those at the computer days) I found myself so intrigued with the health industry. I read about the pharmaceutical push, GMO food, and all kinds of conspiracies. So I called my friend who’s a nurse and had a chat with her, got me more interested as the stuff she was saying supported the reading I had done on pharmaceuticals.

So I ordered 20+ books on health, printed articles and got myself hooked! Every day I was reading something about health — I get several health related newsletter emails daily that. I started to change my raw ‘dieting’ to a raw LIFESTYLE.

Why? Because it was my main FOCUS. I had print outs on the wall about what sugar does to me, on the pantry what cooked food will do to me. Pictures of the body that I desire to embody on the fridge with pitures of veggies! I read part of a health book everyday and I got connected with some other health conscious people. Before I knew it I was making healthy choices before I realized it.

Focus it the same reason why I fell off of being raw — I started to focus on how good that double layered chocolate cakes with raspberry filling would be. When my mind shifts to cooked foods, I control my thinking to the raw food and the benefits and what I have gained and in 2 seconds I want nothing to do with that cake.

I know that was a lot, but it’s been so helpful to me in so many areas of my life, I hope that this helps someone else too!

36. Sonia says:

Kevin, for me it was just getting to a point in my life where I was just tired of “being tired” all the time. I had alot of headaches and my digestive system was completely out of whack. So, I went to a Naturopath (in Puerto Rico…I was living there at the time) who put me on an all vegetables & greens soup (cooked) which I would puree in the blender and eat nothing but that (all I wanted, anytime) plus supplements for 5 days & then on the 6th day I added some brown rice and on the 7th day I added a baked sweet potato and on the 8th day I started on a healthy diet. My 5th day was my most energetic day…incredible! From then on I knew I wanted to continue feeling that way. So, I turned vegetarian in 1995 and am now learning about the raw food lifestyle from you. Thanks Kevin & AnnMarie for all you do.

37. Jennyfer says:

hey people!
    Some of the first things that come to my mind as I’m transitioning my inner/outer self as related to health/food is to stop and first ask myself, before i’m about to eat something or prepare a dish, “will this service me?” and consciously understand that if I so choose to eat this white bread then i’ll feel very bloated, tired and lazy. If I answer “yes” then I better not complain about how it effects me negatively and all the rest. But if by stopping for a moment to ask myself that very pivital question, then maybe it would be excactly what i needed to hear to remind myself of the daily choices we have every day and say “no, i don’t want to feel yuckie after eating it” or “no, I want to maintain feeling strong and powerful”
    hope that made a little bit of sense….
    thanx for the variety in your shows guys!

38. Frances Poole says:

In 1979 I had a near death experience and landed in hospital for 5 weeks plus. I finally left there vowing to look after myself and find a way around my health issues. The Medical establishment were useless but over time particularly since internet I have become almost an expert in natural health.I went from using Western medicine 62 tablets a day to 1 BP tablet with mostly all supplements then to growing my own vegetables and developing my own soil so that I could could get better nutrition and cutting out most of the supplements. I started juicing & Blending 3 years ago with a multiple variety of vegies and fruits especially blue berries etc Since then my hair has gone from white grey to brown grey and my health has improved immensely. I still eat a little cooked food possibly about 20%. My impetus came from an increasing challenge with Food intolerances and chemical sensitivities. At one stage 95% of foods I was intolerant to with some very severe reactions making eating very challenging. I went to the Allergy Elimination clinic because the Drs did not know what to do to help me. Luckily for me the clinic was able to reverse quite a few of my reactions to foods. I then realised that the heart condition that I had had for years and which caused the near death experience was caused by the food intolerances. I have evolved a diet that suits my health but needs more vaiety and joined this program due to the need for a variety of raw foods recipes to try. I have thoroughly enjoyed the interviews and other helpful advice brought to us by Kevin. Thankyou Kevin for a wonderful opportunity to learn more ways to help myself.

39. Salvatore says:

Interesting question: It got me thinking about how I changed my life around. I woke up one morning and decided to be happy. I sold everything I owned, and bought a one way ticket to London (from Zimbabwe where I grew up). All this took a few months, but I found myself the other side of the world, broke and with no possessions. But I felt free, and so I was happy. I think the lesson is, run away from what is not encouraging you to be yourself. Go to where you can be free to be yourself. This may not be a place – it may be people who you need to find or lose, your job or career may need to change. But it will really be a inner change that makes the difference. It may not require such a drastic life change as I made. But you need to do something outwardly big that makes you feel as though you have shed your old skin, so that you can make the inner change you need. Rip off the Clark Kent suit and let Superman out – and then fly away and don’t get back into the old skin ever again – Thank you for getting me to think about this!

Sal

40. loulou says:

hi kevin, thanks for posting this. just the right length for my blog attention span!
    you said one thing that struck a chord with me. that’s about being scared of what you might become. i’d been on-off raw for years. ill and unhappy when i wasn’t eating raw, happy, full of life and healthy when i was. yet i still kept switching back and forth. eventually i started to work out what was going on, thanks to a one-to-one coaching session with karen knowler. she got me thinking and i’ve continued to work on it since.
    so, for me, the questions that prompted that weird feeling in your belly were these: what if – as i grow emotionally on the raw journey – what i have is no longer right for me? what if i don’t want to do this job any more because it will no longer fulfil me? what if my partner can no longer keep up with me? what if the life i lead no longer satisfies me? scary thoughts. enough to put anyone off plunging head first into the raw world. it’s risky. it may turn your life upside down.
    i also realised that i’d been hiding these thoughts, not wanting to confront them. but i gathered up my strength, worked through it, talked to my partner and came to the conclusion that facing the unknown and dealing with it as it comes along is better – oh so much better – than eating and living in a way that doesn’t keep me healthy and make me feel fabulous.
    it’s even started to shift from being scary to being exciting. who knows where this path will take me?

41. marlene says:

wow, this was an awesome episode! I’m really glad I waited to see it so I could read all the comments! They really got me thinking. I’ve been putting off the episode #40 you did on writing down my aspirations/goals and taking action. For some of us that seems to be an easy thing but for others it’s a wake up call that we’re not ready to take a dive into. Change is scary, it’s the unknown even though we know we will be a better person for it. Sometimes it’s just easier to go along as you are even though you know it’s not what you really want. Something just clicks with yourself and you decide it’s time to do something. Once you do it, so much opens up and you feel so much better but again it’s taking that plunge that is so hard! Well, just writing this down, has inspired me to listen again to episode #40 and take action! Thank you everyone for your comments.

42. Bob says:

Hi Kevin,

For me, it seems that every ‘significant emotional event’ to happen in my life has forced me a fork in the road. Chose between being overcome or fight. The strategy I have used to fight and get through these tough times has been to leverage them to improve myself. I am now a 48 year old, 23 year recovering alcoholic, divorced single father for 4 years, financially challenged person (for about 2 more years)that happens to be the happiest and healthiest I have ever felt in life. I am also a runner and love to train and run 5k races, and have a 3rd degree black belt in taekwondo. This year I bought a Gary Fisher bike and began practicing Yoga as new ways to maximize my health and enjoy life. I stumbled upon your site late last year and began eating most of my food raw at the beginning of the year as a goal for 2008. It has been great and my daily example motivated my 20 year old son without dad pushing him and acting as a health zealot. In late January, I noticed my raw cut vegetables and fresh fruit in the refrigerator missing daily. By the middle of February, he had lost nearly 20 pounds and had himself back at an optimal weight for himself and his self confidence was beaming. What a great life we are given. Enjoy all lifes blessings, use lifes challenges to improve ourselves, and set an example to the ones we love so they can learn from us.

43. Sara says:

Hi Kevin-
    I think we all struggle with change, simply for one reason: fear. We’re afraid to look different from everyone else. Its intimidating to be the only vegan at a potluck, not eating anything. Its scary to go to a gym when you have no idea what youre doing and struggling with tiny weights.
    But my advice to anyone is to simply start, and start small. Health and wellbeing has a snowball effect. Don’t give up if you fail. Even monkeys fall out of trees.

44. Donna says:

Hi Kevin:
    I am a work in progress – approx 70-80% raw. For me, change started coming when I stopped beating myself up for failing. Also, I realized that my internal state (ie my emotional and mental) was something that I participated in by allowing it to go in whatever direction it was going. In other words, if I am feeling down, I am creating that mental/emotional state by going along with it. So when I feel bad, guilty or negative in any way, now I focus on what I want to create – for example happiness, perseverance, acceptance or whatever. I just say to myself, “what am I creating here?” and then I change my focus to what I want to create internally. It sounds simplistic but it has made all the difference (at least for me).
    Donna

45. LJ says:

I am not raw but enjoy your video stream and your exercises you do. You make people think and maybe consider trying to improve themselves by getting more concious of becoming healthy. That is a beginnig of the changes you have gone through and others are trying to go through. Keep up the good work.

46. Sybil says:

I love your videos and blog, Kevin. Your positive attitude always puts a smile on my face. I used to be a partier, ate junk food, processed food, etc.. I only cared about having fun, hanging out with my friends, going to concerts, and partying. Yes, it was fun, but I didn’t feel so good. I was always tired, grouchy at work, overweight, out of shape… then I got pregnant! Having my daughter was my wake-up call. She’s counting on me.. I have to stay fit and healthy so I can have a long life with her. Before, there was only myself to think of.. and honestly I didn’t have anything terribly significant to stick around for. But now I do. In a way, she saved me.. and I will be the best example I can for her. My advice to anyone having a hard time embracing change, just take one small step at a time. Make one little change until you’re used to it, then add another healthy change. Pretty soon, they all add up to monumental change.