A Raw Buckwheat Porridge for a Healthy Breakfast – The Renegade Health Show #37

Wednesday Apr 23 | BY |

Sometimes Annmarie and I get really tired of raw smoothies.

So when we do, we… OK, fine… Annmarie makes this special raw buckwheat porridge. 🙂

It was originally a recipe for buckwheat crispies that you put in the dehydrator, but Annmarie didn’t like them dried out.

So she put the mix in a bowl with some sliced organic fruit and some almond milk and gave it a shot.

It was awesome! So now we bring another healthy and raw breakfast option to you…

Your question of the day? What raw breakfast do you eat? (That’s not a smoothie!)

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and be sure to leave your favorite raw, non-smoothie breakfast!

Here’s the recipe for today’s raw breakfast…

Raw Buckwheat Porridge

2 Cup Buckwheat Groats
Agave Nectar to Taste (Approx 1/3 Cup)
1 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon or 1 heaping tablespoon of raw cacao powder!
Pinch of Sea Salt

Instructions: Original recipe says soak the buckwheat groats for 1 hour… but I like to say overnight. Up to you… you’ll be able to digest better the longer you soak them. Mix everything in a food processor or Vitamix. Garnish with your favorite fruit and nut milk. (Or you can dehydrate them and make crispies!)

Kevin

PS. I watched a few documentaries this week… I’ll be talking about them more last week. Here’s one that I consulted on in the early stages and now it’s a full feature:

==> http://www.tryitoneverything.com

BTW: You can check out all of our pictures from our trip to Argentina, our wedding (I know it was a year ago!) and my run on earth day on Flickr… click here to check ’em out!

1. Marlene says:

I’m glad I just looked at this cause I usually make a frozen fruit smoothie in the morning with supplements but I’ve ran out of fruit so now I know what I’ll make in the morning! Another breakfast that is tasty in the morning from the “Raw Gourmet” is blending soaked almonds and cashews or sunflower seeds. I put some sliced pear or banana on the top with a little maple syrup. YUM! By the way, I made your Chimichurri sauce last night and it was delicious! For lunch today, I drizzled it over Kale with pumpkin seeds.

2. marguerite says:

Just like you, sometimes I like some porridge for breakfast. The night before I soak old fashioned oatmeal in water and add some raisins and a dried prune or other dried fruits. This goes in the fridge till the next morning. Than I put the bowl in a warm place and let it stand until it has room temperature. At last add some fresh fruit, like a banana. I never measured the amount of oatmeal and water. Just throw it into a bowl. When it needs more liquid you can add some fruitjuice.

3. lisa luther-white says:

i really enjoy all of your shows! thank you for sharing them. my raw breakfast thats not a smoothie is 1c. buckwheat groats, 1/2c sunflower seeds, 1/2c gogi berries, 1/2c hemp seeds, 1/2c almonds crushed. i make this mix and eat it thru the week. its really good w/ pumkin seed mlyk. which is in ani phyo’s book ani’s raw food kitchen.
    thanks again for all the great ideas! -lisa

4. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Marlene, glad you tried the sauce! I love it 🙂

Thanks for all your comments so far, keep ’em coming… I need more ideas… I love to eat ya’know… 🙂

5. Nisha says:

I am going to try some of these non-smoothie breakfasts! I am in such a rut! My favorite non-smoothie recipe is this – I soak 2 tablespoons chia seeds in a cup of almond milk previously sweetened with two dates or stevia. The chia seeds triple in size and it produces a real nice thick consistency in the milk. You only need to soak the chia seeds for 10-15 minutes. I throw in blueberries, golden flax, frozen mango chunks and goji berries. I add cacao powder if I feel like it. Delicious!

6. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Nisha,

That’s our other breakfast 😉

7. Well, I have a question actually. Can you eat any grain raw? I thought even if you soaked them, which I soak with a little yogurt, you needed to cook them even if it was for a short while. I like to use quinoa and amaranth since they are power packed with nutrition. Can I eat these raw? How do you know? That is really the only thing I eat cooked except for I like egg whites cooked, the yoke cooked as little as possible.

8. Magda says:

Museli;

soaked almonds & cashews
    pumpkin seeds & sunflower seeds
    dried fruit, maybe apricots or dates or figs or cranberries
    chopped fresh fruit, apple or banana or papaya
    drizzle with a little maple syrup & pour over nut milk.

Fantastic!

9. I hope it’s okay to have more than one comment. I don’t know how you could eat that little for breakfast. I would be starving!

10. Shelby says:

Guacamole! ((or at least my version of it))
    Avocado
    Celtic sea salt
    Lime juice
    Red pepper
    Scallion
    Tomato
    ….keeps me going until lunchtime.

11. Benjamin says:

according to sproutpeople you really only need to soak buckwheat for an hour max and after that it will impair sprouting, but I guess since your not sprouting and just blending them up its ok?

Note: Groats take up all the water they need quickly, that is why their Soak time is so short. They get waterlogged if soaked too long, and will never sprout – so –
    Don’t over-soak!

12. Linda Hanson says:

Kevin: Can you show us how to make buckwheat in a crispy form by spouting and dehydrating? I hear these are delicious. Linda

13. Jayme says:

I like a little different version of this recipe:

1 or 2 Bananas
    1/2 or 1 Apple (Chopped into small chunks)
    Cinnimon
    Raisins or Cranberries

Mashed the bananas in a bowl. Mix the chopped apples, cinnimon, and raisins in with the bananas.

Thanks guys!

14. Joey Zimny says:

This is probably something more for a summer breakfast then a winter one. Its a cold soup. It takes a while to make so if you plan to have it for breakfast maybe make it the night before.

I have eaten this for lunch and supper as well. Its called Papaya and Young Coconut Soup. Here’s a link to the recipe:

I ate something similar to this at a raw potluck, but I’ve tweaked it and I think it is much better now 🙂

hope you try it.
    Joey

15. Can you make this porridge in quantity and store in the refrigerator for later use during the week?

Jerry

Thanks for getting Annmarie on the screen. Interesting how she looks at you.

16. Jennifer says:

RAW “Bacon”, “scrambled eggs” and “hashbowns”

Dehydrated “Hashbrowns”
    – 1 sweet potato, sliced with a grader
    – 2-4 cloves garlic
    – 1 tsp cayenne
    – 1/2 cup olive oil (I use some coconut oil for more of a “butter” favor)
    Blend everything together and dehydrate. You can add more or less of whichever ingredients. If you dehydrate for a bit longer they come out nice and crispy like the delisious SAD fried hashbrowns.

Raw Bacon
    – 1 eggplant, chopped into bacon-sized strips or coconut meat
    – 1/2 cup olive oil
    – 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
    – 3 dashes of sea salt
    – 1/2 clove garlic (I also add onions but it’s optional)
    optional- “liquid smoke” adds a lot of flavor
    even though it’s not raw.
    Marinate the eggplant or coconut meat strips in all the ingredients for 3 hours and dehydrate on teflax sheets overnight.

Eggcellent Scramble
    – 1 cup Cashews or sunflower or pumpkin seeds
    – 1/2 cup brazil nuts
    – 1 tsp tumeric
    – 1 tsp drip mustard
    – 1 tsp celery seed
    – 1/2 cup pure water
    – 1 clove garlic
    – 1/2 juice from lemon
    mix everything in food processor except brazil nuts, till smooth, put in a bowl. Add brazil nuts to food proxessor so they are chopped for texture. Add both together and mix. Add chopped onions, red pepper, tomatoes, jalepenos, green onion, spinach or anything else.

17. Jennifer says:

Cinnamon Raison French Toast
    – 1 cup golden flax seeds
    – 1 apple, juiced
    – large handful raisons
    – 2 tbs or more of cinammon
    – 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
    – sprinkle of cloves
    – agave or honey drizzeled on top
    Grind flax seeds in a coffee grinder, add apple juice, raisins and spices and dehydrate for 6 or more hours.

18. Jennifer says:

Pancakes
    – 2 cups brazil nus (soaked over night)
    – 4 banannas
    – 1/3 cup water
    – 1/2 tsp cinnamon
    Blend all ingredients in a blender and pour onto teflex sheets into “pancake” shapes/sizes. Dehydrate 10 hours and flip onto mesh to dehydrate 2 more hours.
    Add agave for syrup or a blended version with fruit.
    Once deyhdrated a bit you could use an old waffle iron for a waffle shape. Also would make for good ice cream cones if dehydrated until crispy.

19. Lauren says:

Wow…you guys totally stole my idea! j/k…but I eat something very similar to that many days. I’m afraid I don’t get too creative with my breakfasts…it’s something like that, a smoothie, some pieces of fruit, or leftovers.

20. sheree says:

Hi Kevin,
    I love this recipe! Do you think soaking winter red wheat berries would do the same type of meal? Or other grains? I know someoned asked about quinoa, but I didn’t see an answer. Love this show!!

21. Marlene says:

I’d like to know how to make granola and dehydrated crackers. I just got a dehydrator and love it! A recommended cookbook or recipes would be great!

22. Sparrow says:

Hey, Kevin! Was that you in the movie trailer, holding that snake? It only showed half your face, but I’d *swear* that was you!

23. steve says:

Hi
    My breakfast is a small handfull of buckwheat groats
    asprinkle of flax seeds
    a desertspoon of macca powder
    asmall handfull of frozen blueberries
    a smallhandfull of dried goji berries
    a sprinkle of dehulled hemp seeds
    2 fresh seseeded dates
    enough water to cover well

Leave to soak overnight then process in the morning to porridge and scrape into a bowl

then sprinkle with desicated coconut bee pollen cacao nibs and a 1/4 of a pomegranate seeds for texture- mix and enjoy

Sorry if the measures are inprecise but with practise you get the hang of it

After eating I mix the next days mix ready for morning
    Love the show
    steve(UK)

24. Mammaren says:

I usually have juice, or a smoothie.. But my kids love raw oatmeal. and it’s really easy..

1 cup steel cut oats.. add fresh orange juice (about 2 oranges worth), dried coconut, blueberries, raisins, and some flax seeds. mix, and enjoy.. you can do anything with it. cinnamon, other fruit. super easy.

I am excited to try this though. I love buckwheat. I never soak mine that long, though.

25. Bridgette says:

Thank-you sooo much Kevin for all that you are doing for us amateur want-a-be raw foodies…..I have gotten so many ideas for breakfast….I am so excited to try them all…..thanks to everyone…..off to soak my groats

26. Indigo says:

One of my favorite breakfasts is: about 3 leaves of romaine lettuce, chopped very fine (I use a manual food processor, not electric, which makes it mushy); one large or 2 small apples, chopped very fine in the manual food processor; 2 bananas quartered and sliced; sprinkling of raisins. Cover all with nut mylk and a bit of cinnamon. Yum! Now I’m going to try the yummy-looking porridge!

27. Pat Fox says:

Okay Mibad, when I am feeling decadent, depressed, or just female, I’ll load up a plate with cut fresh fruit. My favorites are banana, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, honeydew melon, etc. Toss on a little coconut, perhaps some goji berries and cacao nibs and drizzle the following ‘chocolate ganache’ over the whole thing:
    Just play with the amounts—
    raw cacao 1/2c?
    agave nectar 1/4c?
    coconut oil 1/4c?
    stevia if you want it sweeter
    vanilla, cayenne, cinnamon enhance the flavor of the cacao. Mix with a whisk if you ‘melted the oil’
    It’s good with soaked cashews too. (<:
    Pat Fox

28. Pat Fox says:

Yeah, yeah now she’s having CAKE for breakfast! Super high in fiber, this recipe comes from Living Cuisine by Renee Loux Underkoffler (FABULOUS book) I make the Carrot Coriander Soup recipe from the book and use all the pulp to make this cake. And I HAVE eaten it for breakfast and didn’t feel at all guilty (<:
    Mind you, I have a green smoothie almost every morning of my life… Pat Fox

LAYERED CARROT CAKE WITH LEMON CREAM FROSTING

CAKE
    2 c, almonds
    1 ½ c. pitted soft dates
    2 c. raisins
    4 c. carrot pulp
    1T. vanilla extract
    1 T. cinnamon
    1 ½ t. fresh ground nutmeg
    1 t. cardamom
    1 T. lemon zest
    1 T. orange zest
    Pinch sea salt
    ½ c. chopped walnuts (optional)

LEMON FROSTING
    1 1/2c soaked raw cashews
    1c. pitted soaked dates
    1c. shredded coconut
    1c. orange juice
    1/2c. lemon juice
    1T. lemon zest
    1T. vanilla extract
    1c. lg. Coconut flakes
    (optional for garnish)

To make the cake batter:

Soak almonds in 4 cups fresh water overnight (6-8 hours). Drain and rinse. Soak dates in 1 1/2cups fresh water for 5-10 minutes to soften. Drain and set aside. Soak raisins in 3 cups fresh water for 10-15 minutes to soften Drain and set aside.
    In a food processor, grind almonds, dates, and 1 cup raisins into a smooth paste. Mix with carrot pulp, vanilla, cinnamon nutmeg, cardamom, lemon zest, orange zest, sea salt, walnuts (if desired), and remaining 1 cup raisins.

To make the lemon frosting:

Soak cashews in 2 cups fresh water for 30 minutes. Drain and rinse. Soak dates in 1 cup fresh water for 5-10 minutes to soften. Drain and set aside. (The dates and the soak water.) In a food processor or blender, grind the dried coconut into a powder and set aside. Blend cashews, dates, 1/2c. date soak water, orange juice, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla until smooth. Add a touch more of the date soak water if necessary to aid in blending. Add powdered coconut and blend well. Scrape sides with a rubber spatula when necessary. Allow to stand in refrigerator if necessary to thicken.

To layer the cake:

Split cake batter in half. Line any cake pan with plastic wrap or waxed paper. Press half of the dough into pan. Spread just less than half the frosting on top of dough. Add remaining dough to pan. Gently flip pan upside-down onto a serving platter/plate, remove plastic wrap/waxed paper, and reshape any mishaps, then smooth sides. Spoon remaining frosting on top of the cake and spread evenly over the top and sides. Garnish with dried coconut flakes if desired. For best results, allow to chill and set in the refrigerator for an hour or more

29. Kim says:

I used to have this for breakfast every morning (before I started having smoothies!).

Very simple: sliced apples spread with truly raw home made almond butter.

Yum!

My husband every morning for breakfast has a bowl of sprouted lentils (usually green and french), sprouted wheat and/or barley, mixed with some grated/food processed squash (winter or summer), chopped cucumber, avocado, and a little flax or olive oil and nama shoyu. (This was what he found worked for him when he went raw, to transition from his cooked vegan breakfast of cooked lentils and rice.)

Yum again!

Also, just a comment on soaking buckwheat — I have always soaked my buckwheat overnight before sprouting it, whether or not it’s getting dehydrated, and have never had a problem with it becoming too waterlogged.

Cheers!

30. Beth says:

I got a great recipe off of goneraw.com for a “brownie cereal” but I played around with the ingredients: a handful of walnuts, a few dates, 2 tbs. ground flax, 2 tbs. hemp seeds, 1 tbs. raw cacoa powder, 1 tsp. cinnamon, a pinch cayenne,a pinch sea salt, 1 tbs. coconut oil, agave or honey to your sweet tooth. I put all the above in my mini chopper food processor then add a little water to get it moving into a brownie clump. Oh and I also add a handful of flame raisins before its through just to chop a bit.Take out and put into a bowl then top with some almond milk. Its a decadent dessert breakfast that’s healthy!

Enjoy!

31. Beth says:

Thanks so much, I didn’t guess that I could eat it raw like that–have been dehydrating it but not really liking it as a cereal that way.
    I just made this and its awesome, I added some banana and a drizzle of maple syrup, YUM!
    You can also dehydrate the buckwheat porridge by spreading it out on teflex then break it up into pieces for a granola like effect. I got a similar recipe from RAW FOOD, REAL WORLD but they use 3/4 c. maple syrup. I liked it better than crispies but I’m liking this new way even more!

Satisfied tummy

32. Matthew Knoefler says:

hey there Kevin,

You should consider bringing up the sweetness with green stevia then finishing with your favorite sweetner.

also, if you don’t sprout the buckwheat long enough, I soak it for 30 min. morning and evening and sprout till all the gel comes out. this gel has some undigestable proteins in it. it is gluey.

for my breakfast i like to make a tasty green smoothie. no banannas pineapple or dates please. and chop apple pour on green smoothie and sometimes sprinkle a few dried mullberries. if it is thick and you want to mix it up just for fun pour just a small bit of seed or nut mylk on top.

be blessed

33. Katie says:

Mixing starches/grains and citrus / fruit is not recommended, so leaving out the apple would be a better choice in my humble opinion.

34. Kristi says:

I am wondering about all these recipes and food-combinations. Do you (Kevin and AnneMarie) follow RawFood Combining rules? I am a newly rawvegan (3weeks) and before i get my favorite recipes down i want to know if they are good combinations? Is an Apple a citrus fruit?

35. Kelly Priest says:

For breaakfast I have frozen blackberries topped with one half cup of uncooked quick raw oats topped with unsweetened applesauce (you can just blend an apple) and sprinkle with cinnamon let it sit until the berries are mushy…..its perfect!

36. Lena Buhr says:

Hi yah’all,

This porridge is so GOOD! Made several times and never grow sick on it. It has a christmas zing to it…I’ts such a good snack to eat when old fashioned cravings sets in etc. Just love it, thanks so much for the inspirational recipie! Huggieeezzz!

37. Hello Kevin & Annmarie,

I tried to prepare the raw Buckwheat Porridge, but it did not turn out. Mine was dark brown and had a very undesirable flavor.

(I used the Organic Buckwheat Groats from Arrowhead Mills)

So, I loggged on to watch the show again, and yours was white.

What type of Buckwheat do I need to use??

I wait for your response.

Annette Wilcox

36 Responses to “A Raw Buckwheat Porridge for a Healthy Breakfast – The Renegade Health Show #37”

38. Debbie says:

I have gone raw vegan for the most part for the past 2 months. I love it very much. Great breakfast ideas. I have noticed in most raw books the calorie/fat content is huge for 1 serving. when I was eating SAD I was loosing on ave 1 lb a week from simply counting WW points. I stopped counting points when going raw.I’m very careful with my amount of nuts/agave,high calorie seeds. I eat 3 meals a day and 2 or 3 snacks.Lots of fresh veggies and fruit. I continue to gain weight. I have researched this and most drop weight like crazy going raw. I even am pretty active.If I ate a breakfast like these mentioned I would be big as a house. Any input on if raw calories are the same as SAD calories?

39. Cheryl says:

hello hello, I wonder about food combining too. One of the two rules I follow is, fruit by itself so it goes through quickly. Such yummy food ideas. And the fruit would be so lovely in them…wonder what the skinny is