What Percentage Do I Have to Eat Raw to Be Considered a Raw Foodie – The Renegade Health Show #35

Monday Apr 21 | BY |

Here is one of the eternal raw food questions…

I think you’ll enjoy my thoughts, and I certainly want to hear yours in the comments…

Your question of the day? What percentage needs to be eaten for someone to be considered a raw foodie?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom and leave your thoughts!

Also… Please click here to pass this along to a friend who may understand!

Kevin

1. Wendi Dee says:

Well, I think being 100% raw is healthier, overall. But you weren’t debating that. 😉

I gave a quick Twitter response to your question, but I’ll explain my answer a bit more.

I think if someone is eating 50% raw and he/she wants to be considered a raw foodist, then he/she should go ahead and adopt the title! If it makes a difference in that person’s life, why say 50% isn’t good enough? It’s better than 100% SAD.

Personally, I don’t think the title has much to do with eating raw foods. It’s all about the conscious choices we are making for ourselves. I eat 100% raw not so that I can call myself a raw foodist–I eat that way because I want the best possible health.

I liked the gentle tone that this video ended with, Kevin.

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
    XOXOXO

2. debra says:

Clear composition, Kevin, and a gentle way to explore and expose our tendancy to attach labels to our activities, and subsequently seperate ourselves into tribes and hierarchies. I don’t know if you consciously made a pun -but I thought your statement that eating raw brings us in touch with our “inner nature” is profound. Until we all believe and act like we are part of nature, the earth and all its diverse inhabibtants will struggle to thrive. My response to your question: be healthy, happy, and kind to the planet. That means eating mostly vegetables…

3. Penni says:

First of all, your videos are getting so creative, Kevin! Great work! Personally, I despise the whole percentage question. I’ve noticed that once a person has been eating a high raw diet for any real length of time, they sort of stop asking that question all together. The question seems ego driven and it makes me think that it’s about a competition. So, I agree with you and RawAllison….it’s really about health and what being raw means to the individual. That’s my two cents.
    xoxo….Penni

4. Forever*Raw says:

100%!

5. Kevin, here’s what I find interesting about this:

I had never considered anything but 100% raw to be considered a raw foodist. It never entered my mind.

to me, one who says “I’m a raw foodsist” eat’s, well, 100% raw food and nothing else.

Now that you’ve posed the question and done the “googling” of it, it makes me wonder what others think.

I have a friend who will soon be a new author on one of my blogs, who is a raw foodist. He’s 100% raw, so maybe that’s where I get my definition from.

Very interesting question.

now, that said, how do I describe myself? I was speaking with Scott Tousignant about my dilema of being able to describe how I eat.

I’m about 90% vegetarian whole foodist, with then a few days of meat. I might choose to eat meat when I’m out for Thai or the like, but primarly tend to eat 7 to 10 days of whole foods, 50% raw, 50% cooked, vegetarian, then followed by 2 or 3 days of meat.

how would you describe that?

Vegetarian with carnivore tendancies? or Carnivore that eats primarly plants?

hmmmmm?

6. RawAllison says:

I agree with Penni that attaching labels to ourselves about how raw we are is an ego device. An overidentification with the label can remove us from the reason we are eating raw foods in the first place: to achieve optimum health. As I said on Twitter, in my opinion the label “raw” should be applied to food and not to people.

-Allison

7. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Rob, when I was 100% raw I used to think that every one who was “raw” was 100% raw. It just seems to make sense. A duck is a duck, a cat is a cat and no one can be “half-pregnant”. Right?! 🙂

But when I started to eat a little more cooked food again, I realized that there were many people in the raw food world who rightly consider themselves raw foodies that did eat some cooked food. So I started to think about what raw really was… and for me it became more of a lifestyle.

I certainly still eat a ton of raw food… you saw my fridge!

But, just because I eat some steamed rice or kale, or whatever infrequent experiment I do with my body to see where I am (kind of like a human litmus test)… doesn’t mean that I don’t share the thoughts and beliefs and ideal that many raw foodists or just plain old healthy eaters.

That type of person is more heart centered (of course anyone can be heart centered, so I want to keep that clear!) and someone I relate to well.

So with the judgement removed, it’s about people. It’s about sharing ideas and it’s about sharing similar foods.

We as a people also like to be grouped with others… the reason why I think this is even a discussion. So sometimes there are exclusion games or other things that we do to try to categorize and prioritize. Not intended to be malicious, but just what it is.

I like the term “flexitarian”… it’s not mine, but I’m going to use it. 🙂

Steve Munn and EFT practitioner from CT (http://www.yourclearpoint.com) was the first guy who mentioned it.

I like it.

Thanks for you comments, everyone! Keep the discussion coming and please pass this along to your friends!

8. Mammaren says:

Such a wonderful discussion.. I replied earlier that I believe the 75 percent idea is about right.. But honestly, my entire problem comes when you get to determining that percentage.. Who really knows how much of their food is raw unless it’s 100 percent raw?? Percentages are based on perceptions, and everyone’s perception is different.. So, what I consider 50 percent may be 60 percent to someone else.. So, it’s flawed from the beginning. I always describe myself as a “primarily raw vegan” which offers many answers.. But even still, it’s tough to really nail down. I love the video. Wonderful. What we are really aiming for is conscious eating, conscious living, compassion, light, and health.. I believe if you are truly on that path, you will find your own “niche” in eating what is just right for you.. And ultimately find the best health and radiant life..

Namaste!

9. Allison says:

Why is it important to distinguish this? I never considered calling myself a cooked foodist in the past. I do eat primarily raw with a few exceptions and I don’t want to feel like I have to be perfect to be able to say that I eat raw food. I’m much more than what I eat. Aren’t you?

Allison

10. Elaine says:

I have to agree with Rob that I had never even considered anything other than 100% being a “Raw Foodist” Now with that said… after your show and the other insightful blog replies I will no longer feel as if I am a failure because I can not be 100% raw 100% of the time…Thanks for helping me bring to light the feelings I personally had about my own diet.Your show is the greatest !

11. Great discussion Kevin!

I guess that you would consider me raw food curious as you mention in your video and since I will be picking your brain weekly about adopting the raw food lifestyle.

I have been following the typical bodybuilder diet for years now. This does include a large amount of vegetables and a fair amount of fruit in addition to the animal and dairy protein.

You have intrigued my curiosity over the past couple months and I’m eager to explore the raw food lifestyle and find the best ways for me to gradually increase the amount of raw food in my nutrition plan.

If I was to guess, I’d be around the 40% raw food mark right now. I’m not to concerned with the numbers.

I’m not looking to be labeled as a raw foodist when all is said and done. I just love to find ways to help myself become better and better each and every day.

I’m glad to see that many people don’t believe that you have to be 100% raw. If that was the case I definitely would not be exploring the option of learning more about this lifestyle.

I’m oozing excitement for the journey that I am about to embark on and ecstatic to have friends like you and Rob Cooper “The Former Fat Guy” to guide me along the way.

Keep up the great work Kevin!

Scott Tousignant

12. Bernadette says:

Hi Kevin,
    I’m not going to be very popular for this opinion, but I have to say it. I’ve always been a little confused by the way people call themselves 100% raw or 75% raw. For me, the whole idea of eating raw foods is to increase the nutritional content of your diet. Someone asked me once…if I eat raw foods along with cooked foods, won’t I still gain the benefits of the raw food? There’s a loaded question. I believe the more raw food we add to our diet, the more nutritious our diet is going to be. The whole idea in teaching people how to improve their diet is to teach them to eat more raw foods, more fruits and vegetables and to transition into eating more and more raw and less and less cooked. However, as soon as we put a label on it and call people ‘raw-foodists’, it scares other people away from simply eating healthy foods. The term, “raw-foodists”, for a lot of people, means “hippy, wierd, and I’m not going to do that”. So I really don’t know why the label is there in the first place. Basically, if you’re going to use a percent to describe how raw you are, then practically everyone is raw, because a lot of people, especially dieters, eat salad, carrot and celery sticks, drink fresh squeezed orange juice, etc… I think it is dangerous, when you are trying to help people improve their diet to separate it into the us-them philosophy because it will deter certain (probably the majority) of people from doing something that is truly healthy for themselves. Personally, I feel if someone is eating cooked food and calling themselves a raw foodist, it is like cheating. They are not 100% behind what they are advocating.

13. Al says:

In America we seem to get caught up in what qualifies us to be a member of a group, club, etc…

I don’t consider myself a raw foodist though I will go for days, or weeks, eating nothing but a raw diet. Does this qualify me for membership in the strictist of raw food groups? Likely not. Am I bothered by this? Not at all.

A raw food diet has proven to be part of a healthy lifestyle that should be encouraged, whether full time or as a small portion of one’s food intake.

Those of us stepping outside of corporate America’s dietary madhouse are in the minority and should be inviting others in for a taste rather than pushing them away if they don’t meet our guidelines. Once someone has taken a sample, the odds are they will come back for more, which will benefit us all as we create a healthier, happier population.

Kevin, thank you for the opportunity to discuss & debate.

14. Rawbin says:

Kevin, you 100% RAWCK!!! This is your best video yet! I loved it! You really put it together nicely, you were insightful, you kept it light and entertaining… I totally agreed with Rawallison and I’m glad you gave her credit for wrapping it up into a few simple words.
    It’s a question I posted (%What’s my percentage?%) a few months back on GI2MR.
    I wrote:
    “So, I understand being 100% raw. Or, even saying someone is almost 100% raw, but not quite, because there’s always some grey area, like with spices or seasonings. But, what goes into a calculation to give people 60%, or 80%? How are these figures obtained? Is it determined by weight or volume? so many pounds of raw vs. cooked? Or, is it determined by breakfast, lunch and dinner? All raw breakfast, all raw lunch, all cooked dinner. That was my meal plan for months. Would that be 66% raw? Or, is it all about the measurements on your plate per meal? Like, the rice is a deck of cards on an 11 inch plate with 2 tennis ball servings of raw fruits and veggies taking up more than half the plate, plus a tablespoon of cooked gravy, etc.? I’m not trying to start trouble, I’m not trying to judge anyone by how raw they are, I just want to know where I fit in, and how I measure up?”
    That was the first time I ever got a good answer. One that I could understand and apply to myself. Funny, even back then, Rawallison was giving out helpful answers.
    This is what she wrote:
    “Please don’t worry about percentages- it’s just a communication device to allow people to talk about “how” raw they are eating, in some fashion. You could say you are eating “high-raw” if you want to avoid numbers. If you get caught up in numbers you’ll miss the whole point of eating raw! :-D”
    So from what you said, I must be Raw Conscious.
    -Rawbin

15. Biz says:

Thank you for this Kevin. As someone that is completely new to the raw food lifestyle, I appreciate this real look into what the so called ‘pros’ consider calling what they are doing. I have never been one for labels, so calling myself a raw foodist would have probably never come up in my conversation. I have chosen this path for pure health reasons. I have done enough research to know that processed foods are out of my life and that unprocessed foods (whether cooked or not) are in. I am striving for a 50% – 75% of my intake to be raw only because I know that this will improve my health dramatically. Interesting discussion none the less.

I am glad I stumbled on to you!

16. Joyce says:

Thanks, Kevin for one of your best episodes yet.

Labeling people is one of the most hurtful actions we can take. The elitist attitude of many who support the ‘raw food lifestyle’ is certainly a turn-off for many.

In my blog and daily life, I encourage people to EAT WELL – meaning whole foods, mostly plants, mainly raw. I don’t want to be categorized as a raw foodist or any other label – eating is a pleasurable activity that happens to be the source of our health and longevity. It’s the fuel that keeps the machine running.
    If we eat well, we’ll run well and experience has shown me that the more raw food I eat, the better the body runs. But like being a vegan means eating 100% non-animal sources, being a raw foodist would require eating 100% raw food. What’s the big deal with the label?
    Eat well – mostly plants, mainly raw. If you eat raw 100% of the time, then I’d say you are a raw foodist. If you follow a healthy life-style that’s right for you and your circumstances then you’re on the right path to health and well-being. No need for numbers or labels.

17. Kevin,

I love the way you put this. Sometimes you can lose the reason of an action by focusing only on the process.

Keep up the good work!

Kevin

18. Cindi says:

I actually have been thinking about this lately as I struggle to eat the amount of raw food I would like to. I would like to be able to rationalize it away, but frankly, there are so many reasons for me to eat raw, that I can no longer justify the slips any other way than to say the addiction to non-raw foods is very strong and sometimes gets the best of me. To answer your question, what percent does one have to eat to be considered a raw fooder, I think it has to do with their mindset. The people who do not want to go raw would not like to be called a raw fooder even if they were eating 50% raw or more. A raw fooder is someone who knows raw is better and is striving to implement it in their life. One is either eating raw or he/she is not; the percent to which one is not successful would be difficult to assertain. As long as someone is striving to maintain a raw lifestyle, one would be considered a raw fooder (if he/she desired to be labeled at all).

19. Alicia says:

Right on Kevin! Awesome video!

Thank you so much for putting this into perspective. I was going to say, who needs another label? We already have too many of them anyway but I will gladly take the “flexitarian” label or how about, as someone, already mentioned, simply “conscious eaters” who listen to what their bodies might be telling them?

Afterall what works for us today may not work later on as we age, build or lose muscle, become more or less active, move to a colder/warmer climate. etc. We must be willing to be open minded and motify or change when necessary for our health and well being. Being fanatical and closed minded about anything, including food, is not healthy.

Now I’m off to eat my mono-food lunch of 8 bananas. 😉

20. Lauren says:

While it is true that the label is not important, labels are useful for purposes of classification and reference. Is someone who eats vegetarian most of the time but who eats meat on occasion? No, and the reason is that the DEFINITION of vegetarian includes not eating meat at all.

The term “raw foodist”, on the other hand, had not really been formally defined. It is, however, my opinion, that the term should be, if it is not already, in reference to someone who consciously strives to eat a diet of mostly or all raw foods. It has to do with the intention and the realization thereof rather than the number on paper.

21. Magda says:

Great episode Kevin!

I agree with Penni and Joyce.
    Labels – schmabels
    Percentages – schmentages

Why would anyone want to ask such a question anyway? It’s like being policed and feeling you ‘have to answer’ – of course you don’t.

Do what you do and do your best. Eat raw for the wonderful health benefits – who cares how much you eat in comparison to others?
    I’m vegan (oops, label! )and eating more raw all the time – rawk on everyone!

22. Jayme says:

Kevin,

Great topic! I’m glad someone is addressing it. Sometimes I have felt torn between two worlds. In the “Raw Community” your the more “raw buzz words” you throw out, the more popular you seem, but in the real world (at least my world in southwest Missouri) the more different you are the more outcast you become. I don’t want to lose freinds over the way I eat, I want the way I eat to enhance my relationships with people. The only way I have found to do this is to gently and gradually introduce my healthy changes to my friends. I’m now known as the one that always brings the salads to events. People may not always understand it, but they can at least respect that I’m not stuffing it down their throats or judging them on what the eat.

23. Debbie C says:

I’m still transitioning into a raw food diet, so I don’t really know what the answer is for myself personally. But I tend to agree with you that it isn’t about numbers but rather being as healthy as I can be while serving as an example to others and preserving the health of the planet. I believe I will end up being close to 90-95% during the summer months and 75-80% during the winter months. We are each unique individuals and need to do what our bodies tell us is best for us.

24. Angela says:

I really liked this episode – it was gentle and welcoming and non-judgemental. I agree with some comments that getting stuck on ‘100% raw’ as the only real raw can not only alienate some people, but it can set people up to feel like failures if that standard is not met. As someone said, we are so much more than what we eat.
    When I was a cooked vegan, it was so easy for me that I was often unconsciously judgemental with others who struggled, yet showed an interest in being vegan. I made them feel bad and I now regret that.
    Now that I’m wanting to be raw, the boot is on the other foot – I’ve only had 2 short periods (months) of being completely raw, and discovering every single raw pitfall along the way. I was always down on myself for not being able to be 100% raw like these other people – I felt defective and weak.
    But when I sat down and thought about WHY I wanted to be totally raw, it was because I wanted to give myself the best possible chance of remaining healthy the rest of my life, not so I could join some ‘exclusive club’ where everyone was 100% raw….so I dropped that self-defeating stuff and now just take it a day at a time.
    Thank you Kevin.

25. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Your comments are all awesome! Bernadette, I don’t think anyone could get their feathers ruffled with that comment! 😉

By the way, I’m going to start a club! It’s a club where everyone is invited and no one judges anyone on the choices they make… food or otherwise! I think we all could benefit from something like that! What should I call it… any ideas?

I’m just echoing everyone else’s thoughts here, but when you look at it from a goal and value based perspective it becomes much clearer.

I want great health. So I’m going to search for great health and the tools that will get me there.

We’re human beings. We’re not 100% people. Our nature doesn’t really understand that type of system. I like Don Miguel Ruiz’s 4 agreements… one of them is “do your best”. And do your best means different things every day. Sometimes your best is not as good as it was the day before…

Kevin

26. Bernadette says:

Thank you Kevin. 🙂

My submission for a name to your club would be: Open Door

27. Scott says:

I would just like to be considered an earthling because I live on the planet earth.

I find that it is more the SAD eating public that does not want to be part of the “Raw Foodist” group then the other way around, but then again what the heck is a foodist anyways did they earn a degree in foodology? or are they like more like a Buddhist?

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? I don’t know because I won’t eat one to find out..yuck!

I think people should spend more time worrying about what they are feeding themselves and their families then what to call themselves.

I call people who eat more raw food then processed food “Healthy.”

28. edward says:

Great Show Kevin!

We are defining new realms with large paint brushes today in our changing world! I am watching you learn how to use the smaller brushes to bring out contrast to the matter… or any other matter… GREEN FOOD MATTERS!

Thanks

DRG

29. Diana Walker says:

Oh, this is a SUPERB topic, and a wonderful video.
    I was very pleasantly surprised (though I should have known, since I’ve followed you for quite a while) — when I heard you talk about the “gentle message”

I can get caught up on numbers, and not feeling like I’m “good enough” on a particular day if I am only eating 50% raw, because in my mind, I SHOULD be closer to 100% raw…. old guilt trips, or trying to be “perfect”

It’s wonderful to relax and feel the love and acceptance that flows from your video.

You really have done a great service by being so open and real with your subscribers.

Wishing everyone Vibrant Health!
    Diana

30. qwan says:

First of all I would not trust about.com for anything. They are not experts but spin doctors and misinformationists. Just do a search for MSG and aspartame and you will “learn about” msg that it has been used for centuries in asian cooking and only some people are affected. Aspartame warning are listed as an Urban legend.
    Now about your video, well I should say good video,because your aim was not to answer the question but to make an “in the middle” video where both(100% and other who eat little or more cooked food) agree and everyone lives happily ever after.

I have been asking this question, but not to find out if I am “religiously” a raw foodist. Not to give my self the raw foodist tag, honestly(that is being true to myself). I want to know because of health. I see that many people say it is about health, you too mention that it is about energy, feeling good, blah blah, but that doesn’t answer the question.
    Now to answer the question we have to understand it. So I will rephrase the question and be articulate so as to convey what everyone(or alteast me) wants to know then they are asking “how much is raw”.
    I want to know that if I go 80% raw will that 20% of cooked food create a negative effect on the 80% It is all about health. I dont want to eat 80% and then reduce that % of goodness or health or energy by eating 20% of “bad” food.
    I know this, that when i used to diet,(before I knew of raw foods) I would go on a vegetarian diet(which included raw salads) for a month. I would feel great, sleep better, no headaches and body aches and lost weight.
    Now all I had to do was eat just 1 domino’s pizza with a coke to reverse all that back.
    Infact if I continued that for a week i would be worse than I was before. I learned that you have to be 0% junk food if you wanted to be healthy. Even 1 junk meal would screw you up and you would need at least a week of good healthy vegetarian food with lots of salads(I want not raw then but still eating raw salads felt good I should have caught on then).
    So when I ask the question i want to know how much slack can I cut myself when i am going raw.
    I really miss hot food. Drinking hot water after a cooked meal aids in digestion but drinking a glass of hot water after a raw meal, gives me stomach cramps.(as the water washes all the acids which are needed for digestion I guess).
    I would feel a lot better if I had a hot vegetable soup after my raw meal.
    Also there is good dressing(indian) for raw salads. i.e. splutter some mustard seeds in coconut oil with a bay leaf and mix it in(after cooled) into the raw salad. Tastes damn good. Now this would make that particular meal maybe 95% raw(or 99 too). Now people may say that the goodness of the coconut oil is destroyed if I heat it, but I say if i just heat a tablespoon just enough to splutter the mustard and then cool it and mix it with the rest of coconut oil will it be as “good”. Will it give me all the benefits of raw food.
    Another thing I like to do is put some cold curry on my raw salad.
    Sometimes the raw salad doesnt taste that good and it helps with eating. So will that some negate or even negatively set back the good of the raw salad I am eating.
    One good point you said kevin, was about the numbers thing. I feel that it is not about % but the quality of the “non raw food” you are eating. I feel heating a spoonful of coconut oil just fry a little mustard and bayleaf(maybe onions and garlic too)will not offset the good i am going to get from the raw food. This is where we I have been searching from experts like you for an answer.
    Can I just heat up some butter and garlic and then use it as a dressing.
    I am sure that we can eat a little cooked food like a heated oil or(I am just not getting any examples right now I had so many similiar ideas for dressing etc. that would make the raw food more tasty)other things that will make raw food more tasty.
    I think some research has to be done on this.
    It is not about the numbers but the quality.
    Many agree that 90% is good enough, but that other 10% cannot be a MSG laden fast food or a Soda.
    I think when we do research and get all the experts(not from about.com) together what kind of cooked foods will be worse and maybe there might some cooked foods that may be neutral. So there I think many want to ask this question as it is not about the label but the health. I dont want to be eating 75% raw and thinking it is good for me but later come to know that the remaining 25% totally removed all the benefits that the raw food(75%) was giving me.
    Whew that was long but I had to be as elaborate as possible

31. Thanks for that Kevin. Very insightful and balanced. As you know – I couldn’t agree more – it really doesn’t matter unless it matters to you! I find my food combining varies and changes as I do and I always feel well. Besides, there are other factors involved in the equation. Diet is one, but so is movement and attitude. Unfortunately, an imbalance in any one can cause problems in the other. Seeking balance through resonance seems to work for me!

Keep doing it!!!!!!!!!!!!

DRD

32. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

qwan, the about.com “search” was a little sarcastic 😉

We will definitely give you some options for raw foods to taste better… stay tuned!

Thanks for your comments!

& Dr. D in the house! Thanks for your comments!

I watched part of the video and I owe you a call…

33. Dave says:

Nice work.
    Labels are the cause of a lot of judgement and pain. Unfortunately, identity and the need to remain consistent with our identity is one of the strongest forces in our psychology. when someone whom is a former smoker can shift their identity to be a
    “non-smoker” they will never go back to smoking. if they dont shift, they will smoke again when their willpower wears out.
    It is the same for diet. So if someone wants to start calling themsselves a “raw foodist” what does anyone else care? let them and celebrate that they want to shift their identity. they are on a journey and they are starting with some of the most powerful tools they could use – the language they use to describe themselves.
    Here is my goal – make more healthy choices and less unhealthy choices. Under that goal, i grow more and dont beat myself up. I am kinder to others, less judgemental and have more people ask me about my diet and ideas on health than ever before.

Thanks,

Dave

34. Jim says:

I have been a natural hygienist for 40 years & I have always maintained that everyone is raw to one extent or the other. So my answer is everyone is a raw foodie, even if it is just to one extent or the other, the potential always exist. My family is 100% raw & I expect some day all other families will achieve the same. Raw casualties simply did not finish their leaning curve before attempting to go raw. Like fasting, it is always better to have your own doctor as a sounding board before attempting to be your own doctor.
    Just Jim

35. Valerie says:

Great view point.

I have read that the “World Raw Organization” considers you Raw if you are 80% or more.

Thanks, Valerie

36. Jim says:

Maybe part two of this question could be how do we define raw. There are restraunts in San Diego that claim to be 100% raw. In my hygienic opinion I do not consider dehydrates, vinegars, oils, supplements, salts, spices to be raw & they are all on the so called 100% raw menu. Some raw foodists eat raw meat because a coyote taught them how, etc. So it is worth exploring the proper definition of living food, as raw. Are dry nuts, seed, grains, & other legumes considered raw even before they are hatched sort of speak. Lots of questions, would make an interesting part two.
    Awaiting, Jim

37. Deb P says:

Wouldn’t a raw foodist be someone who believes in and promotes the benefits of eating raw? That could be at many levels, but understanding that any raw is a step better than no raw is a step in the right direction. I feel it is a state of mind more than a measure of diet…

Thanks for a thought provoking question Kevin.

Deb P

38. Linda Long says:

I’m a 63yr.old retired nurse who discovered the raw food movement 2 years ago in Baltimore, thanx to my yoga teacher. Being older, the enzymes in my body are more limited and I find that raw food makes me feel great!! I thought that maybe when I hit the 10yr. mark of eating 100% raw I could call myself a raw fooder–the l00% wasn’t the question for me it was the time element. Go figure, my ’60’s woman mentality has always been a raw fooder lifestyle and now my choice of foods make me a raw fooder, too. 🙂

39. Richard says:

Okay, this is why I love you man! You are 100% correct (even if not 100% raw :-)) It’s about being centered, it’s about remembering where food comes from, it’s about remembering to take care of this spaceship earth we all share. Go ahead, be 25%, be 50%, 75%, 90 or 100% whatever you like but be connected and be conscious. Personally I think someone who is 50% “raw” and pretty much vegetarian the other 50% with a little bit of trying new things every now and then just to try new things is a lot better off than someone who is 80% raw and the other 20% is complete processed, chemical-laden, pesticide ridden, hormone-laced crap!

40. Andrew Norris says:

It’s interesting. I think it’s all about how our body responds. Different people I feel respond in a different way. Some don’t need as much raw to be as healthy. You are dead on Kevin that it is about health and being in touch with nature – not numbers and strong opinions of how others should be etc. It is at its worse when people say “you are not good enough if not at this percentage”. “That is not even raw”. On other words – you are not raw – you should be excluded from the group. Yet we are all the same – people into health and the environment. Setting examples for others – most of which hardly eat ANY raw. It is this attitude we see in some that needs to be dropped. Perfections may be at the route of it. But the perfect solution is always the practical one. One that understands each is different – and all doing their best.

I have been that that as you approach 100% you get more and more benefits. Now is this true or is it a myth? I’m still new enough to it and experimenting to find out yet. Any views on this final increasing results? Or do the results suddenly get “switched on” for people as they reach a personal percentage that does it for them. I.e. a digital effect. Or is each person different?

41. Andrew Norris says:

I saw a social site with one a guy who said he would not even add someone as a friend unless they were high raw vegan. I will contact him and ask him, to get his view on why he does this.

42. Anita says:

I think if you can eat 75% raw that is being healthy for me, maybe for someone else it could be higher..but I still think 75% is great!
    anita

43. Linda says:

I think if you want to get technical then anytime you use the word ‘percent’ you enter the realm of statistics and then 51% would be considered a raw foodist because you are eating more raw than cooked. On the other hand or in the right side of the brain, anytime you use the ‘ist’ on the end of a word you give it the meaning of absolute as in 100%. If we get an ‘expert’ statitition and an ‘expert’ linguist together we could discuss this topic to infinity. Me, I want to just try to improve my health everyday by eating more and more raw, local, organic,….

Love all your daily info Kevin. It motivates me to keep moving in a healthy direction.

Thanks,
    Linda

44. Theresa says:

Great video, Kevin. I was thinking about the raw diet a few days ago and came to this conclusion: one of the reasons the “100% or mostly” raw diet is so “healthy” is that all or most of the cooked carbohydrates are eliminated. Carbs then are, instead, taken in the healthier forms in fresh vegetables and fruits, along with all their inherent nutirents.

In a recent lecture at the Center for Integrative Medicine at UCI (Univ of CA/Irvine), Mahtab Jafir (the director of the pharmaceutical sciences undergrad program) has been doing research on all the anti-aging diets and the only one that her research indicates actually gives longevity WITHOUT diminished capacity is calorie restriction (eat less by about 30%).

Less food = less metabolism therefore less free radicals and less DNA damage. It also increases protective enzymes (like SOD) and harmonies and reduces insulin secretion & stabilizes blood sugar levels. Reduced calories also delay onset of age related diseases like cancer, diabetes, hypertension & cataracts.

This diet can be mimicked, according to Jafir, by eating moderate amounts of functional foods (fruits, vegetables and nuts, according to her research) and getting plenty of exercise. This offers those of us who love food an opportunity to enjoy without feeling like we are shortening our life span or diminishing our future health — and not feel starved all the time.

I just thought I’d add this scientific two cents into the mix. Great comments everyone, and I love the gentle, inclusive tone. We are definitely much more than what we eat!

45. juliann ly says:

kevin,

i like what you had to say about “raw living” being about being kind and happy and aware of the world and people. i agree 100 % what’s the use of being a raw foodie if you are sick and mean? i am facing this right now as i have recently been diagnosed with a very serious illness, having been 100 % raw for almost two years. i want to stay raw, and i want to nurture my attitude because that is what will heal me. and the love around me.

46. Thai Organic / scott says:

Great question great show thanks for all!

For me it’s about quality actually… and that is reall the qwueation!
    Take a nice ripe organic papaya and now compare that to one that is baked in the oven for 2 hours at 400 degrees
    Which one is better quality?
    Which one are you going to choose to eat?

“every body is different
    & every body changes”

“Ms Ta’s GOOD Stuff”
    “Earth & Sun Solutions”
    “THAI ORGANIC” da best raw virgin coconut oil
    Koh Samui,Thailand Calling!
    ayakiawe@gmail.com
    081-089-7766, 089-594-9432

47. Mmm David says:

Kevin,
    This discussion takes me back a number of years to when I started to answer questions about my diet by answering that I am working on becoming a BREATHARIAN, and that I dream of the day that I can walk out my front door each morning and just by breathing in the pranic beauty of the universe have everything I need to sustain me for the day. With that being said and the idea of a BIGGER PICTURE having been planted I can then get into details about where I am on that journey TODAY. At present I am eating in the high nineties percentile but I have no delusions of granduer that reaching 100% raw (even to the extent where my dehydrator and seasonings are all behind me) is anything more than the first leg of a trip down a longer road and to a higher purpose. I want to keep that raw carrot on a stick far out ahead of me and be wary of complacency or thinking that I’ve found 100% of the answers to anything. So with each step I take I see that there is even more that lies ahead, and if that starts to feel daunting, or I start being hard on myself about my progress, as a BREATHARIAN I can always stop, take a few deep breaths, and get that deeper connection to a larger picture of who I am and why I am here on this planet…and why I’m so glad to have found Kevin, Anns Marie, and all of these great commentators along this particular fork of the road on my journey to BREATHING free!
    Michael

48. Pete says:

Hey, Kevin! I love getting your emails, and just watched your 5 minute take on What %’age is Raw – it was just terrific! For myself, it took me 30 years from the time I first tried living on raw food, and did so for 6 months, to try it again. That was just over a year ago, and I’m sure that if I wasn’t able to say I’ve been 100% raw for this year, I wouldn’t have been any significant part raw. It’s just the way I am. But more power to you if you can be conscious of how good raw food is, and still eat other things when you want to. Thanks for asking.

49. michael Westrick says:

I feel anyone who realizes the benefits of a raw lifestyle can call themselves what they like. After all it is just a label and who am I to judge what someone wants to call themselves. I am 75% raw an most consider me a raw foodie……..but I do not go around saying I am a raw foodest. It brings ususally the wrong discussion to the table. Instead I stick with healthy lifestyle and if folks are interested in having a conversation about that then I am open. The first few years I was more open to to debating the lifestyle. The lifestyle if you want to call it that has does wonders for my life and if others want help then I am always happy to help.

50. Kara says:

I’m shocked to see that there are raw foodists who still eat meat! I thought we were all vegans! Does that make me a raw vegan snob?

I am 100% raw and when people ask if my husband is raw, too, I don’t call him a “raw foodist,” I call him a vegan who eats 75% raw. Does that make me a raw snob?

I’m seeing a pattern here.

51. Lauren says:

My husband and I consider ourselves to be ‘high’ raw foodists, around 90%. Once in awhile we like steamed veggies, organic brown rice, etc., which is a personal choice. I could easily be 100% raw and always feel great when I am. My husband, who is still new to this lifestyle, occaisonally craves something cooked. His body responds well to high raw food diet, but I don’t think he’ll ever really be 100%. But it does become easier when the weight falls off, and chronic health issues disappear.

I believe it’s more of a conscious awareness that happens when you go raw. Your taste buds change, and suddenly cooked food doesn’t have the same vibrant flavors that raw food has. Our bodies naturally want to be raw like we were as a first born baby and suckled our mother’s raw milk.

For me, a raw foodist is someone who believes in the benefits of eating raw, and has a passion to share it with others, a passion to help others overcome their health issues by having friends and neighbors over for a raw food meal. Sharing raw food creations to get others excited about it, and do their own research. Being raw, for me, allows me to be in tune with other people and connect with them in a real and positive way.

What percentage a person is raw is irrelevant as long as they are aware of the benefits of being raw, and endeavor to be raw each day. It’s harder for some people who have family and relationships that challenge them. It’s not about being part of a ‘group’ or having a cool label of being ‘100% raw’, it’s about improving health, breaking off SAD addictions, boycotting processed food in the grocery stores, drawing closer to nature, recycling and using less energy, giving back to the earth, gardening and striving to be as self-sustainging as possible.

52. Lisa says:

Wow Kevin what a beautiful video, thanks! I find that people call me a raw foodist and it is their label that is uncomfortable for me.

I like to try different foods and if my husband has cooked something that is just too much for me I will have a teaspoon of it – I find that is enough for my body to know it is really NOT what it wants.

I also find that I am eating foods that I thought were raw and, well, actually aren’t. For example used to think cashews were raw, honey too, and although they can be you can’t assume it. So hey – 100% totally raw is hard to achieve all the time.

I don’t want to have to live up to anything. My body is my very own chemistry experiement and I do with it what feels best and helps me be happy healthy and kind.

Thanks Kevin, it’s a relief to talk about it.

Wishing you health and joy Lisa Devon England

53. Malia says:

Right on, Kevin! I could not have said it better. Let’s say we are all on a raw journey together. What does it matter as long as we are learning and trying new healthy foods with an open mind. Thank goodness I was not thrown out of my local raw foods pot luck because I admitted I would miss cooked sweet potatoes, rice and beans if I went 100% raw. They still speak to me and we share lots of fantastic raw food, recipes and good times. I appreciate all you have done for me too. I continue to learn so much each time I read your emails, watch your videos or listen to your healthy summits. Mahalo to you and your wife too.

54. BarbaraG says:

Hey Kevin!

I loved your comments, and I feel totally the same way. “Being” raw is definitely all about our “being” which you so eloquently stated in your show. It’s not about the numbers, and it was very freeing for me to listen to what you had to say. I’ve been striving to be 100% raw, but I’m not there. I’m getting closer, but I still know in my heart that it’s not about the number or being absolute about not putting anything else in my mouth. It’s a constant goal, but I fall backwards now and then. We cannot beat ourselves up, or punish ourselves in any way for not maintaining the 100% raw lifestyle. This whole thing is a process. It’s a learning process and an experiencial process as well. If I have to be 100% raw to be “part of the club”, I don’t need to be a club member! It’s really all about re-learning not just old habits, but trying to overwrite information that’s ingrained in us, and the older we get, I think the harder that might be. Let’s move forward, do the best we can and be gentle and loving towards ourselves, the earth and others!

55. This was a great video and one that actually gave me the permission to say AHHHH!

As a vegan who is trying her best to be health conscious (my main issue -EXERCISE), I do not hide that fact that I am not 100% vegan. More like 90% and as far as Raw food goes I try to eat raw at every meal and I do a raw smoothie daily.

The comments here and your video have enlightened me and gave me encouragement for the journey I am on towards better help.

Numbers and percentages mean nothing to me. I think it is about what you do, how you do it, and why you choose to do it.

56. Elise says:

Some of you sure are long winded!!

I know of some who are ‘raw’ and eat RAW MEAT.
    What are we to make of that??
    Not vegetarian but certainly raw!?!
    Raw without the environmental consciousness.
    So is it a diet or a philosophy?

I will put my faith (and health) in the philosophy.
    I feel that is the TRUE GOAL.
    Not just a ‘diet’ label.

57. Dena says:

Well I am still learning and adopting this lifestyle. I have tried to be 100% and I guess I just don’t know enough yet to be successful with it. However, I’ve settled with, “I’m raw until dinner.” I still eat something raw at the beginning of dinner, but allowing myself to ease into this has made it very easy to eat raw (mostly fruit) all day until dinner. I’m sure some of you will say, “That is so bad for you.” However, it’s a lot better than what it was. So what is that? 66% or 75% on some days depending on what I eat right before dinner? I don’t know and I don’t care anymore. I’m not doing this for anyone else’s approval. Beating yourself up for not being 100% raw on any given day is not good for your health either. Kevin, I don’t know if you’ll agree, but Dr. Doug Graham’s 80/10/10 makes a lot of sense, whether your raw or not. I think people should be asking themselves if they are eating 100% healthy, not 100% raw. There are 100% raw fooders that eat primarily fat all day long, with little fruit at all, and that is not healthy. Just because that seed cheese wrap is filled raw veggies, does not make it 100% healthy. I think more people would be successful with this if they didn’t try to replace their cooked food favorites with fat-laden raw food replicas everyday and ate a lot more fruit.

58. Great question Kevin!

I posted this video on the blog and just added my comment there.
    You can find it at http://www.RawFoodSuccess.com/ or

Have a wonderful day,
    Annet

59. Sherri says:

My question is why are you straining that good juice?

I think 80 to 90% is raw.

60. Hey Kevin,

Thanks for that video. It raises a good question. I think that if your making a conscious effort to eat more “green” or raw food, than you can be considered a raw foodist. I personally am trying to eat more raw food because of the great health benefits.

-Jacob
    ————————————————————–
    “Making Diet History by Making Diet’s History”

61. I eat three meals a day with two being raw. Fresh Whole foods in their natural state is where its at. I feel better the more raw food I eat, however, it does leave my body feeling cold at times. Perhaps cooked food is more grounded or shall we say weighted.

62. Janielle says:

More important than what you eat is what you don’t eat. Getting rid of chemically-laden processed foods, white flour, white sugar, alcohol, cigarettes, and coffee is a great first step into having better health. After you beat your addiction to those foods, being 100% raw is a great goal to have. I have been 99.9% raw for three years (once in a while I have oatmeal). However, I think you can eat 100% raw and still be unhealthy. If you eat too much fat, even if it is from avocados, it messes with the cells. If you eat or drink too much sugar, even if it is from fruits, it messes with your cells. It is a journey, one step at a time. Dr. Doug Graham’s video has helped me in this journey. I know I have things to change still, but I feel so good, I never want to go back to cooked food. It’s not about what title you have, it’s about your health allowing you to do the things in life that you enjoy. I’m 57 years old, and haven’t taken any medicine of any kind since going on the raw diet. I have energy and a zest for life. I have seen also where it has enlarged my understanding and my attitude towards people, animals, and nature. I appreciate having a dialog with people who have similar values. Thanks, Kevin, I loved your video!

63. I listen to a lot of the recorded lectures given by David Wolfe. He said that the white blood cell count increases when eating cooked food. If one eats 85% or more raw food in a meal, the white blood cell count does not go through this change. So I think of an 85% raw meal to be the guiding boundary.

64. kali says:

I always thought it was funny that raw food enthusiasts
    put a percent to their rawness! : D
    I even made some cafe press stuff (90% raw 10% cake) haha!

–A reminder for myself in particular to leave room for other
    viewpoints in ALL areas of life..and to include the joy in everything we choose to.”buy into”!

fun stuff..thanks, Kevin!

65. Brigitte says:

Kevin,

I think it is important to eat a natural unprocessed diet. Enjoying the experience of preparing and eating our food.

To stress ourselves and others over exact percentages and perfection is counter-productive to a healthy diet and a healthy mind. Stress is as bad for us as any junky food. Attitude matters!

Each day, we do our best at that time, and strive to be better without beating ourselves up along the way.

Thank you for being an inspiration!

Brigitte

66. Daniel Smith says:

Wow, great answer. I really think you hit the nail, so to speak. I just wish I could get to 96.259624597 percent, so I could be raw too. 😉

Daniel & Herma
    Struggling to eat as much raw food as we can.

67. Eva Walker says:

I like to eat most of my food raw but years ago I heard that for example, cabbage should be eaten sometimes raw and sometimes cooked.Cooking cabbage changes a mineral in cabbage to asimilate it which can’t be done with raw cabbage.I can’t remember which mineral it is.It’s been a long time ago but I’ve been doing this with cabbage for a long time.

68. Sara says:

I’m with you when you say that it doesn’t really MATTER what percentage of raw you eat. I think that assigning titles does come from our need to prove something to ourselves or make a statement, when eating raw should really be about getting healthy and contributing to the health of our planet in the process.

If I had to answer the question “what percentage is raw?” for the sake of a title, I would say this: Either 100% or the simple awareness of the healthness of raw foods; one or the other. It depends on what exactly a raw foodist IS? Is it someone who never eats cooked food (like a vegetarian never eats meat), or is it someone who has an appreciate for, and a sense of relation to, the raw food movement and its benefits?

~Sara

69. John says:

I don’t eat the same percentage raw every day. I intended to be 100% when I started out on this journey but I had trouble maintaining my weight, I’ve always been slim – now I eat high raw with boiled potatoes and rice regularly for carbs – even a take-away when the mood takes me! Everyone’s needs are different. Be healthy and happy, that’s the important thing (things?)

70. del says:

I agree totally that it’s not about the numbers but about being healthy. For the past two years I’ve been experimenting following very close to 100% raw and it feels great! But would I recommend it for everyone? Probably not. But 100% plant base foods with lots of fresh fruits and veggies, and especially dark green leafy veggies is somthing I believe all people should do more of, if not a lot of. Amimal products are at best a survival foods for emergencies when nothing else is available for weeks. Plant based foods, in my opinion, are key but not the only key to awesome health for ourselves, our community, our country and our planet.

71. Wow this was so very great. I think we get caught up on numbers because schools do not teach the stillness of the mind from raw foods and we are taught to look at only facts. It should not make a difference what percentage it is as long as you are celebrating your life in the present moment. And this is what raw foods do for you!!

72. diane West says:

Kevin!!!! I soooo admire whatyour doing for everyone, it is truely selfless. You have helped me through alot of days when I was indicisive about my eating habits. Ive been eating raw !00% for four years until this year when I felt i started eating much too much nuts and seeds. first of all Im italian and I do miss cheese,wine and chocolate every once in a while so just recently I decided I wasnt going to be so rigged with my diet, after all God wants us to be happy, so I went for it, and the sky didnt fall, your veiw on life and our space in it is right on key. Its a pleasure to watch you .keep up the good work….Blessing and go in peace. Diane

73. Pam says:

This was a fantastic video. For someone who has been working with 811rv for a year and not been “pristine”, the feelings of being judged or “not part of the tribe” have been profound. Almost feeling as bad as some people feel sitting at a table eating a hamburger while others in the group only have salads. It’s the same “silent judgment”.

Kudos to a well done piece. And yes – great pun about getting in touch with your “inner nature.” And being “raw” in the world as we relate with other people.
    Well done.

74. Jackie says:

Kevin, There is no right percentage for everyone. It is way more important to live a healthy lifestyle that we can be at peace with than to struggle with a number. Also, some days we may be closer to 100% but other days 50% is the best we can do. Love the food and enjoy the process.

Jackie

75. Julie says:

Thanks Kevin for your video on this question ! That re-focuses me on what is important “the path to health and happiness” instead of feeling guilty of not being 100% raw. I’m at the very beginning of this … So this video is just what I needed to pacify myself on this road, one step at a time !

Aurevoir,
    Julie

76. zsuzanna says:

The message conveyed in your video is similar to what I exercise in my world. I try to break free from fitting into any extreme regiment, and labeling myself as being ‘something.’

I work with my body. I listen to it, and attend to it. I feed it, nurture it, and love it. These guidelines are provided to me by nature, and not by the media, or society, or pressures of health-food activists.

Strive for balance, and you will receive your answers. For balance, perfection (or 100%) is not required. We are built to adapt, always shaping, and forming our needs to what’s required each and every day.

Be in tune with yourself, utilize what nature has given us, and you will discover ultimate health.

77. Fiona says:

This has been really helpful to me. I find it very hard to put a lable on what I am – if asked I would have to say I was mainly raw and mainly vegan. I eat raw food for health (I have IBD) and feel far, far better when I stick to raw food. But how can you say to a three year old who is so excited about having made you a milk chocolate rice crispy cake that you never eat those things? I feel much better in my mind allowing myself to occasionally have some cooked food and it helps me keep more raw the rest of the time.

I guess your question is similar to asking how long is a piece of string? Is there truly just one correct answer?

Thanks Kevin.

78. Amanda says:

I think that a raw foodie is someone who is conscious about and makes a point to eat a large amount of raw foods rather than cooked foods. Of course, like anything else there will be different extremes and when some one is saying they are 80 or 90 percent raw it is a way of identifying how they eat and the choices that they are making. It is easy to get caught up using them as titles for other people but this is what can create separations, just like the bashing that sometimes occurs between religions. I personally do believe that the more raw you eat the healthier you probably are but it is okay to taste new flavors once in a while…some foods need to be cooked to kill toxins that would otherwise harm us! So to me, raw foodie=consciously makes an effort to have a majority of the foods they consume raw. Any numbers attached to that is just identifying the degree to which they do this.

79. mxxnshine says:

Vegetarians who eat animals, thats just wrong…and so, ‘raw foodist’ eating cooked stuff, seems just as silly.

80. Claudia says:

Excellent idea – eating raw is not about fitting in a clique it’s about health. And even though I know it’s about health even I still eat a pasta from time to time.

81. jgirl says:

yeah! it’s about being healthy and not the label. everyone is unique. thanks Kevin ~j

82. itJustMe says:

a rhetorical question: what percentage do I have to eat meat to be considered a meat eater?

you got it! 😉

83. Kathleen says:

I have just started eating raw, and, I am 60! I am doing this because it makes so much sense. I have only done it for one month and already I feel great! I have an energy that’s not a nervous stressed out kind of energy, but more like a peaceful energetic state.
    My rosacea is gone, my skin looks just wonderful. My dry heels are now soft and subtle. I am sleeping better, and the list goes on and on.
    Oh, and I’ve lost weight too…that’s a bonus and my middle roundness is gone. I can walk briskly for an hour outside, and also do 3.2 mph on my treadmill inside.
    Stairs are no problem, and quite honestly the best part is creating my smoothie’s and my meals. I just love getting out all of my fruits/veggies/nuts/seeds, and wonder what I will make for my next meal.
    I like the peeling, cutting, chopping and taking the time to make myself something good to eat.
    I have also learned how to eat, really tasting my food, and not just eat mindlessly(remember…that was what the Coneheads on Sat. Nite Live used to say…consume mass quantities..he he).
    Anyway that’s it in a nutshell – no pun intended, and as far as the percentage to eat…I think it’s a process, and educating oneself.
    Myself I am about 95% raw. If I feel like something I have it and try not to guilt over that.

84. Jody says:

Kevin,thanks for posing this question, and then commenting in such a gentle way. My whole life has been dominated by judgement and black and white answers. As I became a raw foodist, I noticed that my tone became lighter, less intense, more accepting. I guess what I’m trying to say is the label is not as important as making concious choices to affect ones health. We all have to find our own way.

85. Sandra says:

Dear Kevin,

Yeah, real gentle man answer and your voice is so clear and straight from heart to heart, very special this time, has a glow to it.

I started to experiment a little with candlelight dinners to adapt better to the colder climate – meaning cooking in a Tibetian copper bowl with two candle lights placed below (for the sound rituals I use a more open one. this one was the first I bought, and I only heard later that an open one better supports opening the heart to the world) with two candle lights placed below – and found it`s just the right temperature (testing with tongue and fingertips) and sloooooow food so goood and a wonderful ritual.

For us, herbs and carrots and buckwheat spaghetti and tomatoes work nicely this way, rice makes me feel heavier, sweetcorn as well.

I have noticed over a substantial period of time that when I am stressed out and the better choice comes in a can or glas jar, even from the health store, then there is a tendency that more and more glas jars might pile up, so it´s me loosing touch with my inner voice telling me what is good for me and when I have got what I need. So, I take it as it is without considering myself less successful when I am mixing ways of preparing food

but rather try to get back to that natural 95% raw food diet because I long for it and because I am so extremely grateful for that sensitivity I could re-develop after 35 years of having had average food.

Loving my body that shows me so clearly where vibrant loving energy can be obtained from best for me.

Still, I feel so good having reintroduced fire rituals into my life in honour of this element – at least in German, it sometimes feels like people are kind of cautious about the word RAW – may sound so barbarian and to some just boring. So when others actually see what we eat and how we enjoy it and we treat them to a little bite or two – that brings more harmony rather than discussing percentages… I always try to emphasize what we share.

Sometimes though it#s more difficult, some people feel disturbed by the mere fact of us eating differently and there is a danger if I just chat away answering questions about our food choices that sometimes trenches build up where I had forgotten they would exist. This would sometimes lead to the situation that I start mixing and experimenting again but deep inside I know it#s not about the food, it#s about wanting to be part of them – and my body teaches me gently that I am a part of the whole when I am what I am.

So, dear Kevin, thank you so much for this fabulous inspiring way of looking at our world.

Lots of love