Where do Vegans, Raw Foodies and Vegetarians Get Their Protein? – The Renegade Health Show Episode #13

Thursday Mar 20, 2008 | BY |

So here it is…

The eternal question. “Where do vegans, vegetarians and raw foodies get their protein?”

In this video I explain two great sources of plant protein… Quinoa and Hemp Seed.

Check it out…

I think the biggest issue is that many raw foodies don’t soak enough grain. Adding soaked and sprouted grains into your diet can be the key to lasting raw success whether it’s 50, 70 or 100%.

Yes, it’s my brother’s birthday, so please send him some birthday goodness by clicking here, scrolling down to the bottom and posting a Happy B-Day to Mark!

Kevin

PS. This is picture is hysterical, what do you think?

Humorous Pictures

1. Sportyspice says:

Happy Birthday Mark!

Kevin – please don’t me look at those huge bugs again!

2. Bee says:

Happy Birthday Mark!!!

3. Romi says:

Love your shows Kevin and Happy Birthday to your brother Mark. Awesome!
    The “where to get your protein” episode was the best; you looked like you were having fun and you were very natural in your presentation.
    Congratulations on thinking up the concept and delivering such a great service.
    Kindest Regards,
    Romi (Naturopath and Nutritionist)Australia

4. Steve Mackel says:

Another great show. I’ve been watching everyday.

Steve Mackel, USA Triathlon Coach

5. Jonathan Silva says:

Happy B-Day Mark! :D

You should make a guest appearance on one of Kev’s vids sometime!

6. Susana says:

WOW!
    YES, KEVIN!
    FINALLY, someone, besides me, touting the benefits of soaked ALMONDS!
    Here’s the “routine” I am kinda “known for” around here:
    When you’re ready to go to sleep, add 10-12 raw (UNPASTUERIZED, PLEASE!) whole almonds to a non-reactive container (NOT PLASTIC, PLEASE!) ~ COVER them with just enough water to do the job (NOT TAP ~ AT LEAST USE BRITTA, PLEASE…)
    When you wake up, they’ll all look PREGNANT! SOoooo CUTE!
    Drain the water and munch them up ~ or, spin them through the blender with berries ~ YUM!
    If I save them for a 10AM snack, I’m bursting with energy and “good to go”, with nothing more than WATER (GOTTA HYDRATE!), until 7 or 8PM! YEAH!
    The quinoa are AWESOME, but so are CHIA! You can read about them on the USDA site. Good little gems ~ “blackish gold”, for sure!
    Just SOAK THEM FIRST! (I know the natives carried them as their sole source of fuel when walking to the coast, to trade geodes for wampum (seashells), but, really, they are FAR BETTER when SOAKED.
    Here’s how I do it:
    Get a pint jar, or so, with a screw on lid.
    Add the amount of CHIA you want to hydrate to the jar.
    Add cool, clear, clean water to the jar, just about to the top.
    I use 1/4 cup seeds to 2 cups water…
    Screw the lid on really well and SHAKE-SHAKE-SHAKE!
    Set it down and go about your business.
    Every time you think about it, go SHAKE-SHAKE-SHAKE that jar.
    You’ll notice them “poofing up” ~ it’s called a mucellinogenous cell Kind of like a frog’s egg, maybe…
    A big clear “egg white bubble” with a tiny dark speck in the middle playing the part of “yolk” ~
    When they are all poofed up, POUR THEM OUT!
    YEP!
    You should have like a pitcher of ade from the ORGANIC lemons off my tree… or, your own tree (YOU CAN GROW YOUR OWN IN POTS, IF YOU DON’T HAVE LAND!)… POUR the contents of the little jar into the pitcher, STIR IT UP and ____ENJOY!_____
    I had MASSIVE surgery for Serous Papillary Ovarian Cancer, 3/2000 ~ St. Patrick’s was my discharge anniversary! ~ And, I had NO CLUE how HOT & INFLAMED my “innards” were until my caretaker, from Guatemala made me this, for the very first time, and WOW! The “heat” in my tummy was DRAMATICALLY reduced ~ I could FEEL THE PATH OF THE CHIA-ENHANCED LEMONADE coursing through me, taking the inflammation with it! TALK ABOUT RAWSOME GOODNESS!
    Now, we just add soaked chia seeds to whatever we’re drinking…
    I think they are like, THE VERY MOST COMPLETE AMINO ACID CHAIN THERE IS! __RAWsome__!
    Check out the USDA site on CHIA SEEDS _TODAY_!
    If you can’t get your mouth around soaked rice, please, try it a la mexicana!
    That’s right, Mexican Rice!
    RAW!
    Huh? You say?
    CHECK IT OUT!
    Make your own RAW “HORCHATA”:
    Soak like 10 raw organic NON_PASTUERIZED almonds and like a cup of raw organic brown rice over night, each in a stainless steel, or glass bowl with FILTERED water to cover.
    In the morning, slide the almonds into the blender with the rice and about a finger of cinnamon. If you are still eating sugar, add LA PERRUCHE, from Africa’s Swaziland SEE: http://www.laperruche.com for more details ~ PLEASE, don’t raid the combs of honey bees for sweetners ~ there ARE options…
    ANYWAY!
    Let the blender go CRAZY on the rice, cinnamon & almonds with FRESH water to fill to the “fill line” of the blender container.
    You can just consume it like that, OR, for a really great treat, have it with ICE! Or, if you still eat it, add some La Perruche, to taste, glass by glass ~ Don’t impose your desire for SWEET on everyone…
    THAT is REAL “Horchata”, RAWsome style!
    ENJOY!
    Talk about a PROTEIN SHAKE! “-)

7. Happy birthday brother dude. AKA Mark.

Haha. I’m a raw fooder dude & my roommates were just urging me to incorporate grains into my diet. I’m so psyched to try sprouted rice and quinua raw. Too bad i jut started fast. Will definatley be some of the first solid foods I ingest.

Love your energy.

I’ve been cutting my own hair with scissors for years now. The stylists could never get it right, anyway.

8. Jeanne says:

Happy Birthday Mark!
    Crazy run in the family?

9. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Susana! Thanks for the enthusiastic comments :-)

Jeanne, yes, crazy does run in the fam ;-)

Sportyspice, I’ll be more careful about the critters in the future!

Thanks all for posting!

10. Denise says:

Happy Birthday Mark!

11. Tina M. says:

Happy Birthday Mark!!

Kevin, great video, thanks!

12. Anna (Australia) says:

Happy Birthday and best wishes Mark.
    Kevin, its my first time visiting your website, it is AWESOME, excellent presentation, “where to get your protein” video was excellent, keep up the great work.

13. Trisha says:

Happy Birthday (yesterday) Mark!
    Vegan protein is my favorite subject as I am a fitness trainer and WNSO pro athlete. Thanks for the great shows!! Also, thanks for this past Christmas when you gave us links to other fitness websites. I linked up to Zach Even-Esh’s Underground Strength Coach site and will be attending his first ever Underground Strengh Coach certification this June ( I think I may have been the only girl accepted.) Keep up the great work, Kevin!

14. Ron says:

Happy Birthday Mark!!

Great show Kevin, we can never emphasize too much where vegans get protein…

Thanks

15. Tracy says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BROTHER OF KEVIN!!!

Thanks for the great shows Kevin.

Tracy

16. Carolyn says:

Happy Birthday BROTHER GIANNI…

Much love,

Carolyn from Cali

17. Elaine says:

Hey Mark,Happy Birthday !!!! Your brother is awesome to think of this posting for YOU !!!! Who keeps who in line???Thanks Kev, I m starting a lot more raw AGAIN due to your site and encouragment and craziness !!!Elaine

18. margit says:

happy Birthday Mark!
    You have an awsome brother

19. Scott says:

Be Healthy,
    Be Strong,
    Be Happy,
    Live Long.

Happy Birthday Wishes Mark
    May All Your Dreams Come True!

Scott

20. Mary says:

Happy Birthday Mark!!!!!!
    Good explanation on protein sources from grains. Thanks for all you do to change the planet, one show at a time.

21. Ian Kelley says:

Wow thanks Kevin,
    awesome video about soaked protein seeds and grains. I did not know you could soak hemp seed and quinoa and eat raw. I will be doing way more raw eating now. and Happy Birthday to Mark.

Best Regards,
    Ian

22. Claudia says:

happy birthday brother!

23. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Ian,

No need to soak the hemp seeds… they’re already soft :-)

But the quinoa, yes… that needs a soak to soften up!

24. Shelley says:

Happy Birthday to you Mark… hope you do something other than read emails all day!

Kevin; Love your short information bits! I also really appreciated your Raw Summit’s… amazing information! Thanks to Susana for the added information on proteins.

My tip isn’t re protein but helped me make the leap toward live foods: add the green refuse from your juicer to any of the many recipes for “Deyhdrated crackers” for extra ruffage, texture and to diminish waste (especially if you are eating mostly organic). When I first started to move toward live foods, I really missed some of the textures in bread and crackers, etc… this satiated me (along with some pine nut butter made from pine nuts, salt and lemon blended in a bullet or a blender. MMMMMM!
    Shelley

25. Brandon and Ellen says:

Hey Mark, Happy Birthday!

Keep rockin out with the shows Kevin!

Cheers,

Brandon and Ellen

26. Dave says:

Hi Kevin. I think you are doing an awesome job and you are giving a rational, reasonable and healthy face to raw vegan eating.

I wondered if you had considered that although live (soaked or sprouted) seeds and nuts are good, we get all the protein we need from green veggies such as broccoli?
    I would posit (and many researchers would agree) that we do not need additional protein above what one would get from a basic raw vegan diet with plenty of green foods and drinks. Just look at apes/gorillas. And although further away from us genetically, all Herbivores get far less protein than is typically touted by nutritionists today.

Food for thought, anyway.

Dave

P.S. I would also point out that even soaked nut protein is very hard for the body to digest and heavy nut eaters always have undigested protein in their live blood sample.

27. Sparrow says:

Wow! What are those awesome bugs? Are those yours? They are so cool!

28. Jayne Eubanks says:

Hey Mark! All I can say is that every day is a gift! Remember to smell the roses and enjoy the weather no matter what Happy Birthday!