How to Eat Raw Food or Vegan in Social Settings

Thursday Dec 20 | BY |

Question: My biggest challenge is explaining how I eat 100% raw food to other people without offending them in a social setting.

Answer: I once had a weight loss client who told me that she couldn’t say no to a slice of cake at a party because the people who had hosted her for dinner insisted that she have it.

So she ate it and felt guilty. In fact she still felt guilty when we were talking about it a few days later.

I told her that if she had said no to it, the host really wouldn’t have thought differently of her at all. And in 2 hours would have completely forgotten about the whole incident.

But here’s the thing… my client was STILL thinking about it and was still feeling guilty about it.

You have to remember that even the most caring and loving people are thinking about themselves more than you. Yes, it sounds egotistical… but it’s true.

You need to take care of you. No one else can do it. So don’t worry about offending anyone if your on a 100% raw food diet or vegan diet or even just eat healthy. They’ll be OK, I promise.

If you don’t eat what everyone is eating you have two options. Go ahead and tell them – or don’t tell them at all. For me personally (if they don’t know what I do already) I don’t like to let many people know about my diet because it always leads to many questions and opinions that I just don’t like to argue or debate anymore.

How many times have you heard “my grandpa lived to be 85 and he smoked cigarettes, chewed tabacco and drank lighter fluid?” People – including myself – have some level of emotion attached to food that is difficult to shed. So I find it more difficult than politics. Because with politics, you can at least agree to disagree… sometimes!

But here’s the caveat… if you feel you need to argue your case about the raw food diet, or expect that someone make a meal to your tastes, then you need to reassess and maybe you are offending them with your tone. So my advice is lead by example, keep yourself silent until someone asks and tell them you are feeling amazing with the way you’re eating now whether it’s raw, vegan or healthy. They’ll appreaciate that!

For more great health tips, weight loss motivation, raw food and vegan advice and optimum health advice just like this please click here.

And by the way… here’s picture that my grandfather (he’s 89 and can compress a .jpg!) sent me yesterday… that’s me on the left and my younger brother Mark on the right!

Kevin Gianni and Brother

1. WOW…this is all so true…

Great topic!

May wife and I are strict vegans and we, as you Kevin, have heard it all.”But, you NEED meat!’ they tell ME..lol…

The funniest part is how ‘they’ get upset for us being vegan, vegetarian or raw. THEY keep arguing and actually get mad at us.

One of my articles is titled, ‘being Vegan – Getting by in a non-vegan world’. It was in my fit tips column in our local paper explaining how we vegans are made to feel like outcasts or targets.

Here is a blip of the article:
    “Now about social situations, we, like many vegans, have friends and family that will not invite us to their houses because they feel they cannot provide us with anything to eat. Often when we do get invited somewhere it turns into an apologetic invitation, letting us know that there may not be much there for us to eat. I would like to take this opportunity to let everyone out there know that vegans know what they are. No vegan goes to a wedding or dinner party expecting to be able to eat much of the food, it’s ok, we don’t mind and to be honest we know better than to ever show up hungry. As a host all you have to do is respect our lifestyle and realize that it is deep-rooted. Being a vegan is a moral and ethical choice. No true vegan is going to eat turkey just because you made one; it doesn’t work that way. It is not an insult to you or your cooking or your intentions, we will not compromise our values and no thinking person should expect us to.

The social inconveniences are a very small price to pay and we are more than willing to pay it, please don’t feel bad. Likewise don’t think that we are offended because you made meat. We do not live in a bubble, we are aware of the world we are living in and know that we are the minority in this country at least for now. Happily, the number of people who are becoming vegan is rising sharply and that is a trend that is sure to continue.”

Fortunately, our immediate families have changed, but it was hard at first.

Great subject Kevin!

2. mufasa says:

Thanks, this is great.. by the way, your grandfather is fantastic!!!

3. Amy Rhodes says:

I agree with you. 25 years ago when I started out trying to change my diet and had read William Dufty’s “Sugar Blues” I gave up sugar 100%. At that time my husband’s work required that we attend social dinners. Well, nothing can kill a party faster, especially during dessert, than “I’m not eating sugar because it will kill you” (paraphrased, but pretty close). It’s never gotten easier, with all of the changes in my diet, especially now to raw vegan I have learned to be more tactful and respectful of where others are on their path. I find that just saying that I just don’t feel like ______ (fill in the blank), or that I’m experimenting with my diet because I don’t feel up to par (and I want to), or just avoiding it all together with, “I’m not really hungry” (and hopefully my stomach growling doesn’t give me away). This is way better and much less confrontational. My colleagues, over time, observe my health getting better and start to ask me in private about changing their diets.
    Amy

4. Eddie Dowd says:

Hi Kevin

Thanks for the insights. I have tried living vegan for several years with varying degrees of success and have experienced the same kinds of social pressures you outlined including being confronted by my doctor, in public, about the need to meat in order to get sufficient iron.

Whatever.

The “discussion” shifted to blocked arteries and that seemed to prompt a new topic but the one question I kept asking was never answered: is there a way to check how blocked an artery is without an angiogram? I would really appreciate your comments. There must be a way to unmask this silent killer.

Thanks for all your work

Eddie

5. Joel says:

First off, thanks for the article. This particular article couldn’t possibly ring truer than with my situation.

I’m a 25 year old male working majority of the time on remote construction sites with French in-laws. With respect to the former, it is a predominately male environment in areas that haven’t much in the way of fresh produce or dining. I typically organize and pack my own food for two week durations. As if that’s not hard enough, I receive a ribbing from colleagues on a daily basis. Then with respect to the latter, my mother in law, who by the way is a 5 star chef, makes the most unreal dinners and in copious quantities. They still expect me, and in fact almost force me, to consume the same amount as I did a few years back while I was a full time athlete. Try explaining a raw/reduced calorie diet to folks that eat six course meals – loafs of bread, bottles of wine, seafood and different meats all during the same meals and a selection of desserts.

Just yesterday at work we all piled into a truck to head for lunch and where I normally get them to drop me off at the grocery store they gave me a tough time and continued on to ARBY’S, of all places, they then placed an order for 8 sourdough melts, or whatever they’re called, two of which were intended for me. Well I felt so guilty that they bought them that I ate one and stuffed the second in my pocket…yada yada yada I’ve been drinking lemon juice since.

Anyways I should get back to work and my bowl of grapes. I could go on and on but I’m just glad to see this topic come up and know that there are others.

Joel

6. Jenny Lens says:

Be a beacon of light and stability. Plan ahead and always bring healthy food with you! Most of all, always carry within you the courage of your convictions. Eventually others will get tired and pick on someone who fights back, so they can continue the fight. If you smile and eat your raw foods, they will give up.

If someone expects you to eat foods you don’t eat or in quantities you don’t want, take that person aside. Tell them if they want you to eat at the table with them, THEY MUST RESPECT YOUR WISHES.

Nothing acts better than quietly informing them you WILL NOT TOLERATE THEIR ACTIONS nor WORDS ANYMORE. Tell them it’s harassment and intolerable.

Make it very clear you find their behavior unacceptable. You don’t have to say any more than that!! You don’t have to defend your statement. It’s true on the face of it.

“Respect my wishes and way of eating or I simply will not eat with you. These repeated discussions are interrupting my meal time and I will not tolerate it.”

NOW YOU HAVE THE POWER.

One thing to remember is NO ONE knows how to be healthy. Low fat, good fat, low carbs, high carbs, protein, whatever. My mother is 87 and has outlived all the doctors who warned she would die years ago. I only wish she knew what we knew about raw foods! It would have improved her life in so many ways!

As Matt Monarch asks, if Raw Food is the way to go, why aren’t we living longer than others? There’s so much contradiction within raw foods. I do it because going raw has improved my life. I might not live longer, but I’m living better!

Secondly, do you have ANY idea how little time is spent on nutrition in medical school? I bet that most any hardcore raw foodist, who has read a big handful of books, online, and in mags, knows a ton more than ANY doctor! My mother was a nurse, and lemme tell you, the LAST person I would listen to about IRON is a doctor. He’s never heard of Popeye’s fave food, spinach?

He’s never heard about athletic champions who are vegans? I have never been stronger than since becoming a raw foodist!

I’d love to know what the doctors have to say about all their over- and mis-prescribing pills, while rarely ever talking about side effects, because they haven’t bothered to learn what these pills do!

So if anyone’s doctor gives them a hard time about being a raw foodist, either find another doctor, one into alternative healing, or just thank them, smile and move on. Pay no attention to them and focus on your own learning. Read all you can on the subject and determine your healthiest lifestyle.

Thirdly, most ALL food pyramids, diets, etc are designed and promoted by food manufacturers, agribusiness/pharma companies who are making fortunes off our misfortunes and destroying family farms, local economies and the earth, aided and abetted by the FDA and govt laws benefiting these companies who line the pockets of the politicians.

Why should we be their pawns? As is, we have bigger battles to fight, because right now our food is being very threatened by proposed new laws.

I watch and read all kinds of alternative healing, nutrition, medicine programs, and am amazed at how everyone contradicts themselves. Do not drink water with meals because it dilutes digestive juices. No, drink two glasses cos you will get full and won’t eat as much.

If I followed the advice of most nutritionists who are into holistic, alternative therapies, I’d be combining foods and eating foods I know make me sick, fat, gassy, and miserable. I even have to watch it with raw foods. The simpler, the better. Listen to my body, keep a food diary, pay attention.

Kevin said as much about exercise in his “Busy Person’s Fitness Solution” (I just bought/read it this week). I bought two issues of Prevention mag exercises. I couldn’t believe one page told me to use light weights vs heavy weights for upper arms, and a few pages later, total contradiction.

I was glad to read a fitness expert admit that NO ONE knows at much as they purport. We have to listen to ourselves first. That’s doesn’t mean eat whatever you want, but make wise decisions.

I recently read that when people give you a hard time, just smile and say nothing. It just drives them crazy. I’ve learned the power of a Cheshire Cat smile. Silence is very powerful! (coming from Miss Chatty Cathy here, so that’s a major lesson for me.)

I truly wish I knew about this 30 or 40 years ago! (I actually started reading about this over 30 years ago, but didn’t know how to live it). What a life I would have led! Slim, emotionally balanced, glowing and healthy. All I can do is make the most of what’s left of my life.

I have no time to deal with silly, arrogant, rude people who have NO RIGHTS where my body is concerned.

How would they like it if I got in their face about eating sick animal flesh and polluting the earth (as they are stuffing their face with a burger or roast beef or fries or milk or)?

The MAJOR thing Gore omitted in his movie is the number one pollution problem are COWS, pigs and chickens.

How would they like it if I told them Equal and Nutrasweet addicts and poisons us?

Those statements are true, but you don’t hear me yapping about it to them. I have no time to waste on fools who aren’t ready to listen. So why should I listen to them?

So when people talk about nutrition, we have choice to make.

Do we say anything or just smile and know that what we are doing is OUR choice for OUR body, and let it go? So what if they give you a hard time? That is no reason to eat something that sickens you or stuff it in your pocket. They don’t live in OUR body.

They are being offensive because they are defensive. What if you are right and they are wrong? They have to give you a hard time, so they can live with themselves. Bullies back down when you stand up to them or walk away.

Because I don’t make a big deal out of it, people admire my convictions. They are concerned about my health, but they also know that if they want to be around me, they have to respect ALL OF ME. We have others things to discuss, so I just change the subject.

So if your family or co-workers give you a hard time, just withdraw within. Run a script through your head, about your beliefs and your rights, and stand firm.

If someone earnestly wants to know more, start to tell them. I usually start by asking them what fruit and veggies they eat. My main focus is encouraging them to eat more fresh farmer’s market, seasonal, organic, RAW food, and start the meal with fruit or veggies, not at the end. Baby steps that don’t threaten their belief systems.

But if they interrupt, or give any negative feedback or resistance, I say let’s talk about something else. If possible, walk away if they continue to harass you. THEY ARE HARASSING YOU!

Who is being rude here? You or those disturbing your meal time? Remember that! They should be ashamed of themselves. And when you walk away, or smile, or retreat, they will pick on someone else!! You are an easy target when you take the bait!

I’ve lost over 65 pounds and kept it off since 2001. Whenever someone asks me if I miss eating this or that, I reply “I don’t miss the weight.”

People who haven’t seen me in 30 years want to know why everyone else has aged and I look better than when I was younger. Younger people are stunned when I tell them my age. They all think I am at least 15 years younger. (I’m involved in the arts and rock photo worlds, so I run into people of all ages).

I’ve been on every diet and weight has been the thorn in my side my whole life. I still could lose about 25 pounds, and I’m starting to slowly take it off. My big problem is lack of exercise, or not exercising correctly. Working on it!

My life has been really stressful the last couple of years. I slipped into eating cooked foods and slowly put some of the weight back. I can’t eat the way nor amounts previously. The reality is I just can’t tolerate cooked food.

I’m finally back into raw foods: sprouting, Rejuvelac, juicing, salads and blended salads, and minimal amounts of food. It’s a good thing I’m a raw foodist cos right now I am soooo broke. But lack of money makes me very aware of food amounts, perfect for a diet and learning new habits. I get such good nutrition from simple raw foods.

I tell people I’ve done this for 7 years and never been healthier. I surprise everyone because I am so calm emotionally, my temper and anger gone and my focus, intensity and energy level amazing. I feel better than when I was drinking a small amount of green tea. I can’t handle any caffeine, no matter the supposed health benefits.

That’s the point: whatever you can get in green tea, meat, supplements, whatever anyone is promoting, you can get with raw foods. For example, you can assimilate calcium better from leafy greens than milk or animal products, which actually leech calcium from the body. Add some weight resistance, and who needs milk? It doe not do a body good! That is such a horrible lie!

We are doing more for the economy, the environment, each other and ourselves by setting an example, and working on our health. PLUS there’s the whole element of the Raw Spirit that Matt Monarch writes about. We can also smell and taste things better.

Life is so much better, even in times of difficult hardship, heartbreak, uncertain futures and more. But until YOU CLAIM OWNERSHIP of YOUR BODY, you are a SALVE TO OTHERS. Lincoln emancipated the slaves. Moses freed the Jews from Egyptian overlords.

So why are we chaining ourselves to other’s expectations and bad behavior, in the “land of the free, home of the brave”?

Go spread your wings and enjoy your life. We have so little time, don’t waste it on others who give you a hard time. Much success to all of us!

7. Jenny Lens says:

Oy! It’s been a long day, and a couple of typos:

[re Milk] It doe[s] not do a body good! That is such a horrible lie!

But until YOU CLAIM OWNERSHIP of YOUR BODY, you are a SALVE [SLAVE] TO OTHERS. Lincoln emancipated the slaves. Moses freed the Jews from Egyptian overlords.

8. Wendi Dee says:

“Because I’m feeling amazing with the way I’m eating right now,” is my new mantra. I’m off to a big Indian party this weekend and there’s going to be pressure to eat the cooked Indian food. As lovely as it is, I really do feel amazing on raw and have no desire to eat cooked foods that weigh me down and make me feel tired.

Thanks for sharing, Kevin.

Lots of love to you,

Wendi Dee

9. Andrew Norris says:

Nice blog. Right now with being positive and telling them what energy it brings etc. I’ll tell you what also really works. Show some empathy to those that question. Think back to when you were less developed emotionally, to when you had a belief you thought was true. You question it. There can be a miss-understanding between personality types too (e.g. Myers briggs). E.g. some sensate types want lots of facts before they change their mind. I was talking to two guys I met doing some sports yesterday – it was fine. I put it in a way that they could see the advantages. He said he loved his meat. I did not not question that. I said you had to have some reason and be motivated to pull this diet off.

At the beginning it was harder – as I lost weight and energy during detox. So setting the example is very important.

We need to look to ourselves what kind of energy we give off. If we keep labeling others as “being wrong” to question us and “most people are like that” – this will give off bad vibes when you meet them, triggering confrontation in others less developed.

Yes it’s possible to explain it to people in a nice way and have both remain in good vibes. We have the power.

10. Andrew Norris says:

I just read the comment by Joel who works in the remote French construction site. I’m not if it applies here, but I know there is a question of weight for men. Many people and convinced you are unhealthy if you look thinner than the stereotype. This can be harder to explain to family / friends. But again, understanding is key. They think they know best and you have flipped have a bit, and that they are helping you. They try to get you to “eat up” and tempt you with lots of food.

Certainly talking to them and asking them if this is how they feel will be best. Don’t assume anything, listen first. Then give them lots of facts as to why it is healthy.

For a start they overlook that they do not apply it to women. Women looking thin is fine and healthy. They are just not aware of how their paradigms have been affected by the media etc.

But the main thing is concentrate on yourself and your emotions. This is what you can change with certainty. You can learn to not be affected by the jibes. Let’s face it – they occur for such a small amount of time, many a few friendly jokes or comments at mealtime; and like was said in the blog, many of us then carry these around with us for the rest of the time. We don’t need to do this! Watch your thoughts and learn to catch them and replace them with more positive ones. Just watching them and seeing how they are seeing up a poor mood in your is enough to let them go over time.

11. Dennis says:

I have been reading your blogs which I truly find interesting and enjoy and which have helped me improve my eating habits, though I am neither raw or vegan yet. Wish this type of info would have been available in my youth, I’m 65. I picked up on your frequent use of the term optimal health which I use when I introduce people to a truly amazing natural supplement that I have been using and telling people about for over a year. I believe that it would be a great addition to a raw or vegan diet. I would sincerly like your thoughts and imput on this supplement. Information on it at http://www.StemCellHealthWealthBuilders.com . Thank you and keep the information coming.

12. tieta crerar says:

Hi Kevin,
    This question is not about the above. The other day you made a green drink and filtered it. what is the reason for filtering green drinks?
    Thanks,
    Tieta

13. linda says:

i am learning the least said the better.
    i just returned from a trip to my home town to see my 93 yr old mom…….i stayed with my best friend from high school. i bought my own food and really only ate dinner when they were home. for breakfast i was alone to eat the food i bought. and i took food with me
    to the assisted living or went to lunch with my family members… i am a vegan and feel best eating raw but do eat some cooked food.
    from the menu i ordered the veggies that were offered..i asked what was fresh and ordered them…for dinner at my friends house i fixed
    my meals from the organic food i bought.
    it was very difficult for my dear friend
    because i would not eat their food..pizza, ham salad and chicken salad from a store,
    white bread and jiff peanut butter or ice cream!!!! i never tried to justify my eating
    i just said no thank you i am just going to fix something small because that is what i feel like eating. she continued to say things like..yah, your health food!!!! and i would just not respond or say this is just what i feel like eating. i never told her about what she was eating was awful or what i was eating was healthy…i just kept quiet (not my style
    mos to the time) and was pleasant and happy and grateful for spending time with my friend of some 50 years……the sad ( i almost said funny) part was how uncomfortable they were.
    one night after i went to bed i had to go down stairs for something and they had the door to the living area closed and were fixing food in the kitchen because they were uncomfortable eating their way in front of me.
    how ever they kept offering me ham salad and chicken salad on white bread…. guess what i am trying to say here is i think when we eat vegan and raw or even vegetarian people begin to feel guilty about thier unhealthy eating so if they can make us eat thier way they feel better about their eating habits.
    all i know is what works for me and how happy i am to be eating vegan and raw foods, and have learned from you kevin and the people you interview is there is not right way for everyone… we have to choose what is right for each of us and some choose eating even meat (look at dr marcola). not to keep rambling but as we all fine our truth in what is the right food choices for us we need to be less vocal unless asked… and it is so wonderful to blog and hear you kevin and annmarie talk about what we are all interested
    in………..oh kevin the insane comment you got, i just want to tell you this..i used to have a neighbor who lived next door and every time i would have conversation with her
    she would say ” you are so weird!” to which i would respond………thank you so very much that is such a wonderful complement….she could not stand it..:) thanks for all you do.

14. Jennifer Doud says:

I have been 100% raw for 3 months now and have lost 32-35 lbs. I feel great and am so greatful for being introduced to this way of eating.

I expressed my views on a forum and the reception was not quite what I expected, especially when I gave reasons for not eating meat. I think the comments I have read about keeping quite until asked are the key.

At a potluck, I took a dish and also brought my own salad for myself. A lady did ask me questions and then told me she didn’t want to hear about it. We have to realize that questions don’t really mean that they want to hear about it. I think we should give simple answers and change the subject.

It is so hard to keep quiet though. The raw food diet is a hidden treasure that is hard to find and one wants to just hand everyone a treasure map to help them out.

15. wendy green says:

In social situations, i eat my diet proudly. if questions arise over my choices, i tell them “i only eat raw foods” if more questions arise, i tell them, “i am happier and healthier on this diet” and leave it at that. most folks are very curious, rather than antagonizing. i gladly share the reasons why and i never fight or defend my lifestyle choices. all they have to do is look at me to know it works!

16. Jerilee Auclair says:

This is a nice breath of fresh air here. My husband and I too get so many questions and my mom gets really defensive about how WE eat. She gets almost mad it seems, that our diet is so different and has let us know it’s very inconvenient for her. (I had to laugh as I was thinking, inconvenient for you, what about the animals?? DEAD is inconvenient!)

We have tried to explain but now don’t say anything until asked. One time my son and I went over to my parents for dinner and brought our own food. She had placemats for us but no plates (the others had plates). She said she didn’t know what we needed to eat our food with. ??? I tried to consider that perhaps she meant, did we bring soup….

At Christmas we had made a bunch of vegan food and had plenty for everyone, about 30 people. Our vegan tamales sat in bowls on the table like they had the plague. I still find this a bit frustrating but now I do as you all are doing here. We eat before we go and we don’t say anything unless we are asked. We do get a lot of prodding and ribbing from my parents so we try to time our visits at non-meal times unless we really have to.

I absolutely loved the first post here by Barry Lovelace. The comment that vegagns know what they are – that said it all for me. Now I can go to the scheduled breakfast with my parents this morning and will be taking my widened view with me.

17. Edith C says:

my dad lived to be 80 years old. he ate what ever food he felt like. loved cookies and cakes. He smoked cigarets until he was 62. he wasn’t sick all that much in his life. didnt take any medication regulary. really strong fit guy to admire…….he died in lung cancer!! that is one of the most horrible ways to go!! show’s that even if you feel just fine and healthy and fit that there are hidden illnesses taking place in the body even if you feel fine.

I did quite smoking 5 years ago. have after that changed my whole lifestyle. took me several years to get rid of my asthma after that. but it is GONE. I had asthma for 30 years! I am 44 years old today.
    I lost 30 pounds and also my psoriasis arthritis is getting better and better. I have almost no pain at all now.

one thing is sad though that I mostly eat at home alone. not many people can seem to accept my eating habits now days.
    if I have to go to a restaurant I try and eat fish if there is nothing else.
    with all the advices here though today I will perhaps give it a try again to make people accept my lifestyle. I hope my friends will give it a try also. why be sick if it can be avoided?

18. Nicole says:

This issue really hits home for me, I struggle with it daily. I literally get bullied at work every day from colleagues who call me the “health hut” and make fun of me. I don’t recall a day since I’ve made the change to living this healthier life style that they haven’t made some derogatory comment or tried to challenge me with their insane jibberish that we’re all going to die from something anyway. I use to be quite passionate in responding to them…now I just say nothing but smile and lurk away. I never eat lunch in the lunch room anymore, I stay in my office. I use to be quite social with all of them, now I just feel like an outsider always not quite fitting in. I work in the social services field which is even more insulting that I’m treated this way by people who are suppose to be caring and compassionate people. Reading these posts really helps boost my spirits. Thank you for this.

19. Nicole says:

oops sorry…typo..they call me the “Health NUT”. I’d take calling me a “health hut” as a compliment! (smile)

20. Kalavati says:

Hi, I now, after 3 years of 95% raw and 2 more off and on before that…
    I, who am 61, and people think I’m in my early 40s, say….”My genetic family has on their death certificates dementia and arteriosclerosis. I choose to pass over when it’s time, with a healthy mind and body.I’ve been vegetarian for most of my life and as I learn more I just keep getting better.Also as a Clairvoyant Healer, I need to stay clear” They always say “well you keep getting younger looking, so it obviously is working, and your eyes are so clear!”.
    I get very little flak. Just the usual protein question…
    Blessings,
    Kalavati

21. I strongly believe you must “walk your talk’

If you beleive in something then you need to lead by example!
    Whether others follow is up to them, usually people bag and criticize what they are frightened of or are unsure of.
    Alot of people do not know what to say when you are changing, so they bag it!
    Keep moving forward if it works for you and makes it you happy!

Create a nice day
    sheryl

22. Winged One says:

Nicole,

Send me your email address and I will send you .pdfs of many raw food health books for you to distribute to your colleagues.

mwah

you health hut heheh 😉 xx

23. rawmzmartha says:

I strongly feel that Raw should be fun and not be made into an ugly ‘OZ’ head! That’s not the raw-way! Raw is what you make it…me? it’s simple, I quietly do ‘my thing’.
    keepin’ simple, fun and raw
    rawmzmartha! 😉

24. I have been a vegetarian for about 12 years. I have never had anyone get mad at me for not eating their food. That amazes me. I usually eat whatever veggies that I can find on a menu at restaurants or I sit and visit with everyone else if there are no veggies to be had. Since I have been changing to mostly raw lately, I usually settle for a salad of some kind from the menu. Most good restaurants have a salad of some kind on the menu today. That wasn’t always true 12 years ago.

When I visit friends’ homes or family, I take an ice chest or a casserole of veggies along for me to eat. Now they are uncooked veggies. Occasionally, my mother-in-law will still ask me if I would like a piece of meat to eat. I laugh and tell her no thank you. I tell her meat no longer tastes good to me.

I get two questions from meat-eaters.
    1. Why did you stop eating meat? My answer and the truth—Meat stopped tasting good. Beef was the first to go with two years of still eating chicken and turkey until they started tasting bad to me.
    2. Do you get enough protein?
    My answer—yes, most veggies have protein. Most Americans eat way more protein than our bodies need. We don’t need as much protein as the average American diet has in it.

When I take food with me, I always make enough for others to share if they choose to.

25. watzzupsport says:

I notice in the raw food world there is degrees to which that you can call your self a raw foodist. To say to somebody I am a raw foodist tends to put you out there for ‘catching out’ if you know what i mean, so a simple line of I prefer to eat raw foods thanks, and, as has been stated in earlier comments, have your health and lifestyle lead by example, i find is enough to merge into social situations.

26. Brenon says:

When I went raw a few people teased me saying I was eating rabbit food. At first I reacted but eventually got over it, and I rarely get comments anymore. My wife understood my health need to eat raw but said it made her feel guilty, so pretty soon she said she could no longer eat with me. That hurt, but whenever I tried to eat a little cooked food with her I felt worse the next day. The marriage didn’t last too long after that. If people ask about the diet I just say a little about how its helped me and that I really can’t digest cooked food. Sometimes I add that if I could eat other foods and feel OK, I would. That lets them know that I really don’t expect them to change.

27. Jehan Sandra Salem says:

Hi! Kev and Annmarie, good question!

I think the best way to go is just keeping it quiet, don’t talk about it unless someone ask you for advice. You are master of what you silence and slave of what you say. Is obvious that people is afraid of change, so why would I give them the opportunity to criticize me? It won’t create anything new, and if you talk about the subject spontaneously they will reject it immediately, because they are not still in the situation where need to look for alternatives. So just wait. And I agree totally with Jenny Lens, if they bully you stand your ground, as you would do with anything else in your life, because what you eat is your life!

I don’t care if I’m the ogre, I have layers too, like onions 🙂

28. Ila says:

Not too often am I faced with a social situation that requires my rejection of ‘their’ food, but if ever I am, I would simply suggest that the food (and it’s ingredients) doesn’t sit well with me. The reaction of certain foods (and their ingredients) to my system is intolerable, and I know what causes it, so I avoid those things that make me feel sick or uncomfortable. If they press for more info or clarification (a tad unlikely that they would), I would simply state what each ingredient does to each part of me. Keep it simple, they are likely unable to process or digest a whole bunch of data at one time. Sometimes less is more. And then pray they get it. One can hope, right?

My best to all here. Your notes, help, advice and experiences are genuinely appreciated.